Hi Guys. Newbie here.....

scoobies

Nov 12, 2009, 2:19:49 PM11/12/09
Some really interesting info on all aspects of sailing guys.....keep
it up.....certainly got me glued
to this group.

Andy Champ

Nov 12, 2009, 4:10:03 PM11/12/09

Am I missing something, or is this the first post since ..err.. July? I
though the group had died!

Or perhaps they aren't making it past the doldrums.

Andy

Jason Keats

Nov 13, 2009, 7:54:23 AM11/13/09

You're not imagining things, Andy. It's been dead for nearly three months.

But we're all sailing again, now that the weather's warmed up, aren't we?

Who's winning?

Andy Champ

Nov 13, 2009, 4:01:17 PM11/13/09
Jason Keats wrote:

> You're not imagining things, Andy. It's been dead for nearly three months.
>
> But we're all sailing again, now that the weather's warmed up, aren't we?
>
> Who's winning?

Being stuck in the Northern Hemisphere summer is pretty well over. Last
weekend was probably the last wetsuit day of the year; drysuit comes out
now. Real Sailors don't wimp out unless the water is solid.

Andy

Jason Keats

Nov 13, 2009, 6:04:31 PM11/13/09
Andy Champ wrote:
> Being stuck in the Northern Hemisphere summer is pretty well over. Last
> weekend was probably the last wetsuit day of the year; drysuit comes out
> now. Real Sailors don't wimp out unless the water is solid.

I've heard of people crazy enough to shake the ice from their boat
covers and go sailing - I'm just glad I don't have to associate with
them. :-)

Speaking of solid water, I'd love to try ice yachting,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_yachting, but I've never even seen a
frozen lake.

Adrian Simpson

Nov 14, 2009, 3:21:02 PM11/14/09
In article <3ClLm.54645$ze1....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Jason
Keats <jke...@melbpcDeleteThis.org.au> writes

>I've heard of people crazy enough to shake the ice from their boat
>covers and go sailing - I'm just glad I don't have to associate with
>them. :-)

We sailed one day back in February where the wind chill was recorded as
-8.5 degrees C, after that it started to get cold.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"

Andy Champ

Nov 15, 2009, 2:23:30 PM11/15/09
Jason Keats wrote:

> I've heard of people crazy enough to shake the ice from their boat
> covers and go sailing - I'm just glad I don't have to associate with
> them. :-)

Bye then.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/ThenIscrapedthesnowoff.jpg

(look in the background, a bit left of centre, those are sails!)

> Speaking of solid water, I'd love to try ice yachting,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_yachting, but I've never even seen a
> frozen lake.

The real catch is a lake that's frozen enough to _safely_ support
weight. I've never seen it that cold here in Southern England, although
it occasionally gets that cold in the north. Those few hundred Km can
make quite a difference.

Andy

Adrian Simpson

Nov 15, 2009, 4:08:13 PM11/15/09
In article <RZSdnVYzvMquyJ3W...@eclipse.net.uk>, Andy Champ
<no....@nospam.invalid> writes

>The real catch is a lake that's frozen enough to _safely_ support
>weight. I've never seen it that cold here in Southern England, although
>it occasionally gets that cold in the north. Those few hundred Km can
>make quite a difference.

Back in the early eighties, I was a member of Draycote Water Sailing
Club (about 30 miles SE of Birmingham). Some of the longer serving
members there told the tale of driving a Land Rover out to some moored
boats one winter.