Where can I get a true wind angle sensor?

The Real Andy

Jul 6, 2009, 4:04:43 AM7/6/09
As the post says. Needs to display true wind angle regardless of the
position of the boat. Cheaper the better, as the yach club does not
have mega bucks to spend.

If I can find a good sensor that outputs NMEA 0183 (or similar
protocol that is available cheap) that would suffice. I could use that
plus a cheap fluxgate sensor chip and roll my own indicator.

Andy Champ

Jul 6, 2009, 3:15:06 PM7/6/09

Ain't No Such Animal.

TWA displays use apparent wind speed and direction, plus COG speed and
direction, then some trig.

If this is on your committee boat, however, and you are happy to anchor
when using it, apparent wind _is_ true wind...

Andy

jg

Jul 6, 2009, 5:38:01 PM7/6/09

No matter how clever your way of finding all the angles and calculating
distances, I can't see that you are addressing the challenge of
physically finding that point on the water without travelling the
distance at the angle from the previous mark. That to me is the part
which most needs addressing.

The Real Andy

Jul 8, 2009, 5:20:31 AM7/8/09
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 20:15:06 +0100, Andy Champ <no....@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

Yup, on the comittee boat. Get the wind direction at anchor. We have a
old life boat that is done up. Great for race starts.
http://www.syc.org.au/Portals/0/mvcapemoreton.jpg

Anyway, true wind on most guages is given from the direction of the
boat. IE, 0deg is the front of the boat, not north. So I figured that
this combined with a fluxgate compass could give you absolute wind
direction rather than relative. Just a nice to have, not neccessary.
We do pretty good with a hand bearing compass and a bit of wool
attached to it. Plus if the wind is over 5knots you normally get a
lines of foam on the water which give you the exact direction of the
wind probably better than any wind guage :)

johnm

Jul 15, 2009, 8:52:27 AM7/15/09

Doesn't that bring back some memories! I sailed at SYC from about 66 to
78, Sabot's then OK's. I dropped by in Tropic Bird about 5 years ago on
the way up to Scarborough and was astounded at the development- there
used to be a couple of piles and a couple of swings, now there's a whole
marina.... Does Miss Sandgate still come out for the Blessing of the Fleet?
JM

The Real Andy

Jul 16, 2009, 7:30:57 AM7/16/09

I am in the process of starting up junior racing again. The club
sabots are about to get used again, for the first time in about 10
years.

I am just trying to thing, if you sailed in 66-78 you would have seen
the area reclaimed?

Miss Sandgate is now in the maratime museum in Brisbane. I was
fortunate as a young-un to sail on her during her very last trip. We
have had a verbal ok to pull her out of the museum for SYC's 100th
Anniversary in 2012. Would be good to see you there if at all
possible. Watch the website for more details! www.syc.org.au

johnm

Jul 20, 2009, 9:07:32 AM7/20/09

2012? If I'm in the country I'm there.

Disappointing that junior racing had dwindled- all power to you if you
can rekindle it, a hell of a lot of Northside baby boomers would have
got their grounding (pun intended) racing Sabot's out of CT Creek.

I've been trying to compare my recollections of 5 and 40+ years ago and
it seems to me that there was more dry land the last time than when I
was sailing there (it was SSC too). I'll have to see if there were any
family photos taken- I don't recall any but there may have been at prize
nights etc. I can recall a few family names who were either committee
people or sailors- Verdon, Trott, Kerr, Humble, are any of them still
involved?

Of all the things I've lost as I get older I miss my mind the most...

JM

The Real Andy

Jul 21, 2009, 4:42:12 AM7/21/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:07:32 GMT, johnm
<moores_f...@ZAGbigpond.com> wrote:

If you have any family photo's and you can scan and email I would be
grateful. I am chasing up as much history as I can find for the
anniversary

The only name I am familiar with is Verdon, that is late Tom Verdon.
We still invite his wife down and he is a life member of the club. The
only others I would know from that era are perhaps Ron walker and
Brian Hutchinson. I know of Douglas Trott., but not personally, and
the name Kerr sounds familiar.

johnm

Jul 22, 2009, 4:36:09 AM7/22/09
I'll certainly see what I can dig up. I know I've got a sailing trophy
here somewhere, from about the late '60s probably. Sailed sabots with
Doug Trott. His old man (Roy) was a real club stalwart until his
untimely death. If Tom Verdon's wife's name is Ann, then I sailed with
him in OK's- didn't know he'd passed away. If I'm not mistaken Ann
Verdon's maiden name was Kerr, related (brother & sister?) to Peter Kerr
who I also sailed sabots with at Sandgate and who now owns Pagan. I may
be getting my Anns mixed up tho- I'm not sure now that Ann wasn't the
name of Dick Verdon's- (Tom's brother) wife. Dad sold Tropic Bird to
Dick only a few years after we built her, I spoke to him briefly when I
bought her back- not from him- so he's still around.
JM