Most Under Rated Players - This Decade

Dr Who

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
As promised I will now reveal what you have all been waiting for the 5
players whom I felt were the most under-rated in the 90's,
Note I haven't included players like Scotty Coxon, Mescia, Dave Buku, &
other current Wests players who I feel should be playing rep football.

* Pat O'Doherty
How this man didn't play for Australia I just don't know. He had every
thing a front rower needs. He was fast, skillful, dynamic, fit as a
fiddle, and was as tough as they come.
Does anyone remember the hiding he dished out to Souths Mark Lyons.
Pat O'doherty has to be the unluckiest player ever to miss Kangaroo
selection.

* Craig Salvotori
Big Salvo was up there with the greatest front rowers of the 90's. Like
O'Doherty he had it all. He was as tough as teak, made the hard yards,
was a punishing defender, and had amazing ball skills for a man his
size. Injury and suspension unfortunately dampened his career, he was
somewhat inexplicably dropped as the incumbent test prop after 91. He
along with Geyer, Bella, Meninga, etc slaughtered the Kiwi's in that
series.
Salvatori was a lot like former front row greats Arthur Beetson and
Steve Roach, but I felt he had the potential to become even greater.

* Joey Thomas
You couldn't ask for a tougher hooker than Joey T. I'm positive he
would have been a rep player had he not been playing at a time when
Aussie had a wealth of talent in the number 9 (or 12) shirt (i.e Walters
boys, Elias, Conescu). I felt he was better than those player however,
he had all the skills of Elias and was as robust as Steve Walters. How
good Joey would have looked in green and gold.

* Mark Brokenshire
This selection may surprise a few people, Jimmy Stewart and Matty O in
particular, but I had a lot of respect for Brokenshire as a front row
forward. He took a back seat to no one, was a yard machine, and could
slip a sweet pass in the tackle. Brokenshire was one of those players
who did the tough stuff and allowed the likes of Folkes, Tunks, Dunn,
etc to play a more expansive game. Even though I'm not a poodle fan I
did enjoy watching Mark Brokenshire.

* Russell Wyer
The only back in my 5 most under rated. Russell Wyer was being billed
as a young Andrew Farrar but seemed to get lost along the way. He only
went as far a NSW selection (I think), but could have easily been a
great Aussie centre. He was big, strong, explosive, and was one of the
few centre's in the 90's who really new how to look after his wingers.

SPECIAL MENTION
* Angelo Alavangla - The human Tank, made Solomon Hamono look like
Mick Neil when it came to impact.

Other under rated players - Owen Cunningham, Neil Piccineli, Steve
Deacon, The Blair brothers, Mark Horo, Ken Ebb, & Geordi Peats.

Regards,
The Doctor

Big

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99

>SPECIAL MENTION
> * Angelo Alavangla - The human Tank, made Solomon Hamono look like
>Mick Neil when it came to impact.
>
>Other under rated players - Owen Cunningham, Neil Piccineli, Steve
>Deacon, The Blair brothers, Mark Horo, Ken Ebb, & Geordi Peats.
>
>Regards,
>The Doctor

How bout most underated wanker? YOU.

Mac Attack

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
<snipped yet another load of crap from the doc>

My underrated 5 would be

Luke Priddis: Fine dummy half skills. An important part of Brisbane's
winning streak.
Robert Mears: Brought enthusiasm into the Auckland side
Jason Death: ditto
Mark Hughes: Overshadowed by O'Druggie for most of his career.
Brett Finch: Forget about the McFadden McLinden half combination. It's
McFadden Finch for all money.

Mac

James Stewart

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
Doctor Who,
you won't get any arguments from me. Also Mark Brokenshire was one of
Matt's most favourite ever Bulldogs players. Because we loved broky so
much the Canterbury Supporters Site has had a tribute page up on him for
over a year now at:
http://rleague.com/bulldogs/players/brok.htm

The guy was a legend.

Dr Who wrote:
> * Mark Brokenshire
> This selection may surprise a few people, Jimmy Stewart and Matty O in
> particular, but I had a lot of respect for Brokenshire as a front row
> forward. He took a back seat to no one, was a yard machine, and could
> slip a sweet pass in the tackle. Brokenshire was one of those players
> who did the tough stuff and allowed the likes of Folkes, Tunks, Dunn,
> etc to play a more expansive game. Even though I'm not a poodle fan I
> did enjoy watching Mark Brokenshire.

> Regards,
> The Doctor

Mac Attack

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
Big Hitter wrote:

> How bout most underated wanker? YOU.

One of the few occasions when I couldn't agree more with BH.

Sam Montague

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99

Dr Who wrote in message <37C3A41C...@paradise.net.nz>...
>* Mark Brokenshire
>This selection may surprise a few people, Jimmy Stewart and Matty O in
>particular, but I had a lot of respect for Brokenshire as a front row
>forward. He took a back seat to no one, was a yard machine, and could
>slip a sweet pass in the tackle. Brokenshire was one of those players
>who did the tough stuff and allowed the likes of Folkes, Tunks, Dunn,
>etc to play a more expansive game. Even though I'm not a poodle fan I
>did enjoy watching Mark Brokenshire.
>
>* Russell Wyer
>The only back in my 5 most under rated. Russell Wyer was being billed
>as a young Andrew Farrar but seemed to get lost along the way. He only
>went as far a NSW selection (I think), but could have easily been a
>great Aussie centre. He was big, strong, explosive, and was one of the
>few centre's in the 90's who really new how to look after his wingers.
>
>SPECIAL MENTION
> * Angelo Alavangla - The human Tank, made Solomon Hamono look like
>Mick Neil when it came to impact.
>
>Other under rated players - Owen Cunningham, Neil Piccineli, Steve
>Deacon, The Blair brothers, Mark Horo, Ken Ebb, & Geordi Peats.
>
>Regards,
>The Doctor

Add to that Gene Ngamu, Jason Croker, David Boyle, Michael Buettner, Ian
Russell, Scot Gourley, Neil Tierney, Tony Priddle.

James Stewart

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99

Mac Attack wrote:

> Big Hitter wrote:
>
> > How bout most underated wanker? YOU.
>

> One of the few occasions when I couldn't agree more with BH.

Actually I disagree with BH. Dr.Who is an underrated Wanker at
all...everyone knows he is a wanker..hence no underating.

Mango

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:06:55 +1200, Dr Who <bmo...@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:

>Other under rated players - Owen Cunningham, Neil Piccineli, Steve
>Deacon, The Blair brothers, Mark Horo, Ken Ebb, & Geordi Peats.
>
>Regards,
>The Doctor

Interestingly enough (to me at least) I watched Neil Piccineli playing
for Helensburgh in the reserve grade Illawarra Carlton League Major
Semi last Sunday.

Cheers

Mango

The Jackal

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99

Mac Attack <big...@tig.com.au> wrote in message

> <snipped yet another load of crap from the doc>
>
> My underrated 5 would be

<snip>

> Brett Finch: Forget about the McFadden McLinden half combination. It's
> McFadden Finch for all money.

What??? Finch is a halfback, isn't he?? If he can organise play and
kick in general play, then its McLinden - Finch as five eighth/half all the
way. Those two have bags more skills than WingFadden. Whatever the case,
Finch looks like he is very, very deceptive with great stepping and
creativity. Has a long future (only 17. Bit older than you Mac? :)

I'm predicting Finch to have a huge NRL 2000.

The Jackal

Fred

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99

Dr Who wrote:

Hmm... did Brokenshire ever play with Dunn or Tunks ? if memory serves me
correctly he came in after they left...

> * Russell Wyer
> The only back in my 5 most under rated. Russell Wyer was being billed
> as a young Andrew Farrar but seemed to get lost along the way. He only
> went as far a NSW selection (I think), but could have easily been a
> great Aussie centre. He was big, strong, explosive, and was one of the
> few centre's in the 90's who really new how to look after his wingers.
>
> SPECIAL MENTION
> * Angelo Alavangla - The human Tank, made Solomon Hamono look like
> Mick Neil when it came to impact.

Richard Edlin

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
Sam Montague wrote:
> Add to that Gene Ngamu, Jason Croker, David Boyle, Michael Buettner, Ian
> Russell, Scot Gourley, Neil Tierney, Tony Priddle.

Croker yes, the rest I'm not sure about.

Richard.

Mac Attack

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Richard Edlin wrote:

> Croker yes, the rest I'm not sure about.
>
> Richard.

Yup, definitely. How many other people can play in every single position?
Um...None?

Anthony Swann

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Mac Attack wrote:

# Richard Edlin wrote:
#
# > Croker yes, the rest I'm not sure about.
#
# Yup, definitely. How many other people can play in every single position?
# Um...None?

Did he ever play fullback or wing? I just can't remember currently...

Also, I don't think I've ever seen him at prop or hooker, though I could
be wrong...

--

"Look at that - it's a Cyclops!!"
"Can't be - it's got two eyes!"

Greg Pankhurst

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
In article <37C4DA60...@tig.com.au>, Mac Attack <big...@tig.com.au> wrote:

>Richard Edlin wrote:
>
>> Croker yes, the rest I'm not sure about.
>

>Yup, definitely. How many other people can play in every single position?

>Um...None?

Wow. He plays every position on the field. How well does he play every
position though ?? He's a bloody good lock, a solid second rower and
three-quarter, a makeshift fullback & five-eighth, and a non-event in the
front row and at halfback.

That sounds impressive, though there's plenty in the comp who do the
three-quarter/backrow thing (off the top of my head Tonie Carroll, Paul
Bowman, Darren Smith, Ryan Girdler, Josh Hannay, Jarrod McCracken, Brad
Fittler, Chris McKenna) and the rest of it is just fluff. He's played other
positions, but I doubt anyone would be particularly worried by Croker at
fullback or in the front row, and in fact would probably see it as a
weakness.

Don't get me wrong.....I reckon Croker is a damn fine footballer, but I
think his utility value is getting blown out of proportion somewhat.

Greg

David Smyth

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99

Tough talk. I'll expect to see you guys posting similar lists over
the next few days.

Have you got the balls?

James Stewart

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

Dr Who wrote:

> James Stewart wrote:
>
> > Mac Attack wrote:

> > > One of the few occasions when I couldn't agree more with BH.
> >
> > Actually I disagree with BH. Dr.Who is an underrated Wanker at
> > all...everyone knows he is a wanker..hence no underating.
>

> Jimmy Boy you surprise me. I didn't think that type of carry on is your
> go. I won't bite back as we don't want to upset you again, and we
> wouldn't want you to pack another sad and leave us for the 2nd time.

Can you tell me why I left the first time?