Incomplete Collections.

Duggy

Aug 8, 2010, 6:32:32 AM8/8/10
Now we all know the "odd number films" rule, but which films, IYHO,
drop below the buyable range?

I know there are completists out there who have all the films whether
they like them or not... and all power to you, I'm a bit of a
completist myself - but it's something I'm trying to fight.

In that vain, I own: (ignoring the new film for the moment)

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Star Trek: Generations.
Star Trek: First Contact.
Star Trek: Insurrection.

Talking to a friend I found that they reject Insurrection, like
Nemesis and also hate Undiscovered Country...

Anyone have films that they refuse to own or don't rewatch or
whatever...

Anyone want to justify completism beyond just "it's Trek" but rather
the merits of even the worst films.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 8, 2010, 6:46:52 AM8/8/10
On Aug 8, 8:32 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> Now we all know the "odd number films" rule, but which films, IYHO,
> drop below the buyable range?
>
> I know there are completists out there who have all the films whether
> they like them or not... and all power to you, I'm a bit of a
> completist myself - but it's something I'm trying to fight.

> In that vain, I own: (ignoring the new film for the moment)

> Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.
> Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
> Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
> Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

> Anyone have films that they refuse to own or don't rewatch or
> whatever...

Justifying the rejections:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
It's too long and takes itself too seriously. It would be a good
episode of the series but as a film it doesn't do anything for me. I
understand it's place and I acknowledge that without there'd be no
other films but I'm sorry I just can't do it.

Star Trek: The Final Frontier.
I don't need to justify this one I'm sure. There are two classic
funny moments... unfortunately one of them is meant to be taken deadly
seriously. It just doesn't work.

Justifying the additions:

Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn.
Rollicking adventure. No justification needed.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

Not just as part of the trilogy, I don't think it's as bad as people
think. It has weakenesses. It drags at points, but still salvagable,
I think.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

I don't like it as much as the others. I know I'm in a minority
here. The plot is weak and it's mostly bad eighties fish-out-of-water
humour but it gets away with it by not taking itself too seriously.

Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country
An enjoyable film, takes itself a little too seriously at times, and
the prison-planet stuff isn't really that enjoyable (seems like a bad
Buck Rogers episode). Gets a little nostalgic at the end which loses
it points.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 8, 2010, 7:03:12 AM8/8/10
On Aug 8, 8:32 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> Now we all know the "odd number films" rule, but which films, IYHO,
> drop below the buyable range?

> Star Trek: Generations.

> Star Trek: First Contact.
> Star Trek: Insurrection.

> Anyone have films that they refuse to own or don't rewatch or
> whatever...

Justifying the rejection:

Star Trek: Nemesis.
Another Data prototype? Really? Why? Except as an obvious set up
for the end (which was too predictable). And the search was too quick
and easy but still slowed the film down too much. Not to mention it
had a bad Bond film feel to it. The young Picard clone seems like a
good ongoing TV series villain but seems wasted in the film. And the
end seems too much of the same-old-same-old in the films. (Picard-as-
solo-action-hero, with Data assist.)

Justifying the incusions:

Star Trek: Generations.
A bit Deux-Ex-Machina-y. Not much more than an up-graded episode but
still works for me.

Star Trek: First Contact.
The borg-reset and queen make no real sense except that dramatically
the weakening of them wasn't working. Otherwise a good mix of fun,
action and thought.

Star Trek: Insurrection.
A bit slow, but holds together well. Follows the action-Picard and
Riker/Geordi sub-plot of the previous film a little too much.

===
= DUG.
===

David Barnett

Aug 8, 2010, 4:21:12 PM8/8/10
"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

Many thanks for your review of the films.
I saw them all, but can't remember much about them.
So they are rather forgettable from my POV.

From what I do remember, I agree with you completely.
--
David Barnett

Duggy

Aug 8, 2010, 6:42:53 PM8/8/10
On Aug 9, 6:21 am, "David Barnett" <dbarn...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "Duggy" <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

> > Anyone want to justify completism beyond just "it's Trek" but rather
> > the merits of even the worst films.

> Many thanks for your review of the films.
> I saw them all, but can't remember much about them.
> So they are rather forgettable from my POV.

Fair enough, that's an important factor.

> From what I do remember, I agree with you completely.

Good to hear.

===
= DUG.
===

mitch

Aug 8, 2010, 11:42:39 PM8/8/10
"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

I'm not your typical Trekkie... so, my collection:-

The Undiscovered Country:
A good solid Klingon story... nice SFX for the time. Plummer is good
villain.

Generations
A moment of reflection of the old and the new... The acting has dated
the movie IMO.

First Contact
The best Borg story.. Data actually is more interesting than normal.

Nemesis
A bit of excitement.. let down by typical bald headed baddie with super
weapon..

I'd watch the other movies now and then.... $1.99 Tuesday night rental if I
want to refresh my memory...

Mitch

Duggy

Aug 9, 2010, 12:26:54 AM8/9/10
On Aug 9, 1:42 pm, "mitch" <mi...@nomorespam.au> wrote:
> "Duggy" <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message
> I'm not your typical Trekkie... so, my collection:-

>     The Undiscovered Country:
>     A good solid Klingon story... nice SFX for the time. Plummer is good
> villain.

Agreed.

>     Generations
>     A moment of reflection of the old and the new... The acting has dated
> the movie IMO.

Passing of the batton, so to speak.

>     First Contact
>     The best Borg story.. Data actually is more interesting than normal.

I think that Best of Both Worlds is the Best Borg story, only let down
at the end.

Data shines... but he gets the second best roles in all the films.

>     Nemesis
>     A bit of excitement.. let down by typical bald headed baddie with super
> weapon..

I felt it was all empty excitement and as you say pretty blah villain
and super-weapon. As I said, may have worked better as an on-going TV
villain...

> I'd watch the other movies now and then.... $1.99 Tuesday night rental if I
> want to refresh my memory...

The Motion Piction maybe. Final Frontier if I want a laugh. I may
watch Nemesis again, but I'm not interested ATM.

===
= DUG.
===

mitch

Aug 9, 2010, 11:00:51 PM8/9/10

On Aug 9, 1:42 pm, "mitch" <mi...@nomorespam.au> wrote:
> "Duggy" <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

The Motion Piction maybe. Final Frontier if I want a laugh. I may
watch Nemesis again, but I'm not interested ATM.

The FF with the false bridge with the big ship style wheel - boy, what was
Shatner thinking...

Yep, I know what you mean. Gotta be in the mood. I've had the 3 series of
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea for a couple of years now - I still haven't
got to the end. Funny how it seemed better when I was youngster... now it's
naff and a little bit funny...

Problem is with completing collections is that they usually bring out a
revamped edition like with the Original Series a couple of years ago. That
turns me off most of all.... I know they revamped ST:TMP but it still was
very 70's, unlike, say, SW:A New Hope which hasn't date at all IMHO.

I do have most of the Fan picks of the 5 series... that was a no-brainer..

Mitch