The fruit of the cross

Weedy

May 23, 2023, 4:08:27 AM5/23/23
The fruit of the cross

How precious the gift of the cross, how splendid to contemplate! In
the cross there is no mingling of good and evil, as in the tree of
paradise: it is wholly beautiful to behold and good to taste. The
fruit of this tree is not death but life, not darkness but light. This
tree does not cast us out of paradise, but opens the way for our
return.
--Theodore of Studios

<<>><<>><<>>
23 May – Saint Desiderius of Langres

(c 307-c 356)
Martyr, the Third Bishop of Langres, France. St Desiderius is a
Cephalophores (one who picks up his head, after being beheaded and
walks). Born in c 307 in Genoa, Italy and died by being beheaded in c
356 near Langres, France. Patronages – of the City and Diocese of
Langres, of difficult situations, he is invoked for assistance for
those seeking the truth, of Assago and Castelnuovo Scrivia both towns
in Italy. Also known as – Desiderius of Genoa, Desiderio of…, Dizier
of…, Didier of…, Désiré of… Additional Memorial – 19 January
(translation of his relics).

The Roman Martyrology reads: “Near Langres in Lugdunense Gaul, now in
France, the passion of St Desiderius, offering himself serenely for
the good of the flock entrusted to him.”

Desiderius occupies the third place in the list of Bishops of Langres,
it seems he was a native of the surroundings of Genoa and miraculously
appointed to the Episcopal See of Langres.

A cleric from the aforementioned City named Varnacario, wrote an
account of his Martyrdom at the beginning of the seventh century,
based on local traditions. According to this account by Varnacario,
the Bishop Desiderius was beheaded during an invasion of the Vandals
in which he offered himself to save his flock.

A legend says that after his beheading, the holy Bishop, like so many
other cephalophores, picked up his head and returned to the City,
through a crack in the rock that had opened to let him pass, this
opening is still shown today.

The City of Langres also remembers him on 19 January, the anniversary
of the transfer of the relics of St Desiderius which occurred in 1315.
His cult spread, not only in France but also in Italy, Switzerland,
Germany. He is the Patron Saint of the City of Langres and many
Churches in the Diocese are dedicated to him. His tomb was kept in a
Benedictine Priory in the centre of the City.

In 1354, a famous brotherhood apostolate was founded in his honour to
which Kings and Princes belonged. St Desiderius is invoked as a
witness to the truth of the oaths and as a protector in difficult
situations.

https://anastpaul.com/2022/05/23/

Prayer to Mary, Our Mother

Fervent prayer is certain to obtain Mary’s intercession on our behalf.
St Alphonsus recommends, in particular:
(a) the Hail Mary repeated three times every morning and every night,
with the invocation “Mother most pure, pray for me;”
(b) an invocation to Our Lady everytime the clock strikes the hour;
(c) the daily recitation of the Holy Rosary;
(d) a visit to the Altar of Our Lady evertime we make our daily visit
to the Blessed Sacrament;
(e) and some acts of mortification on the vigil of principal Feasts of
Our Lady, followed by a fervent celebration of the Feasts themselves.
If we show our good dispositions in this manner, Mary will be our true
Mother in life and in death.”
by Antonio Cardinal Bacci

Saint Quote:
"Jesus, crucified for me, with the nails of Your love fasten my whole
self to You."
--Berardino of Siena.

<><><><>
This is what the wedding garment is.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, says the apostle, but
have not love, I am nothing but a booming gong or a clashing cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy, if I have all knowledge and understand
all mysteries, if I have faith strong enough to move mountains, but
have not love, I am nothing. In other words, even with all these gifts
I am nothing without Christ. Does that mean that prophecy has no value
and that knowledge of mysteries is worthless? No, they are not
worthless but I am, if I possess them but have not love. But can the
lack of one good thing rob so many others of their value? Yes, without
love my confession of the name of Christ even by shedding my blood or
offering my body to be burnt will avail me nothing, for I may do this
out of a desire for glory. That such things can be endured for the
sake of empty show without any real love for God the apostle also
declares. Listen to him: If I give away all I have to the poor, if I
hand over my body to be burnt, but have not love, it will avail me
nothing. So this is what the wedding garment is. Examine yourselves to
see whether you possess it. If you do, your place at the Lord's table
is secure.
--Augustine of Hippo