HO / 00 Gauge. What's The Difference?

Karina Vor-daniken

Oct 30, 2001, 6:28:34 AM10/30/01
If someone could explain the difference between HO and OO gauge
[Hornby Model Trains/ Railways] I would appreciate that. I'm confused
somewhat looking at the Hobbyco website. I had, and still have a box
full of Hornby trains, track and so on. This is all HO gauge. I was
thinking of purchasing a Flying Scotsman steam engine, however it is
listed as being available only in OO. Hell, what happening. Are these
different sized trains. [HO / 00] And if so, why are nearly all the
trains today available for purchase only in 00.

Confused
Karina

Al

Oct 30, 2001, 6:43:06 AM10/30/01
"Karina Vor-daniken" <vorge...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

IIRC HO is 1:87, and OO is around 1:78. Both use 16.5mm gauge track.

Al

Andy Browne

Oct 30, 2001, 6:49:15 AM10/30/01
Karina,
HO and OO gauge trains will run on the same track, the difference here is
the SCALE.
OO scale models are 1:76 scale (4mm/foot) and HO scale models are 1:87.1
scale (3.5mm/foot)
British models are made to OO scale, while American and Australian models
are built to HO scale.
Actually, true OO scale has a track gauge of 18mm. This is known as EM
gauge.
The Flying Scotsman you are thinking of purchasing will run on your track.

Jim Dean

Oct 30, 2001, 7:44:30 PM10/30/01
HO is 1:87 scale while OO is 1:76. However both use the same track gauge so
can be run together.

Matthew Geier

Oct 31, 2001, 12:20:23 AM10/31/01
In article <3bde933a$0$23885$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Andy Browne"
<brow...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Karina,
> HO and OO gauge trains will run on the same track, the difference here
> is the SCALE.
> OO scale models are 1:76 scale (4mm/foot) and HO scale models are 1:87.1
> scale (3.5mm/foot)
> British models are made to OO scale, while American and Australian
> models are built to HO scale.
> Actually, true OO scale has a track gauge of 18mm. This is known as EM
> gauge.
> The Flying Scotsman you are thinking of purchasing will run on your
> track.

But will look kinda silly next to HO locomotives or hauling HO rolling
stock. The Scotsman is a 'little' engine by our standards and should look
smaller than the 'local' engines.
Due to the 00- H0 scale difference it looks huge compared to the other
engines and HO rollingstock.

I know, been there. Done that. Have a photo taken back when the Scotsman
was in the country of me standing on the running plate next to the
smokebox holding up a Hornby Scotsman under the builders plate of the
real thing.
While it runs on the HO track fine, it really looks out of place with
the rest of my rollingstock.

Graeme Hearn

Oct 30, 2001, 3:15:38 PM10/30/01
G'day,
What you have is a Hornby 'OO' Flying Scotsman Set. It runs on either 'HO'
or 'OO' Track. British trains are nearly always made in 'OO' scale. 'OO'
Scale is 4mm to the foot and 'HO' is 3.5mm. They both run on the same track.
The HO/OO symbol appeared on Triang Hornby trains for some time. Nothing has
changed and the Hornby 'OO' you buy today will still match your Triang
Hornby or Hornby HO/OO trains that you have.

--
Graeme Hearn
P.O. Box 20,
"Al" <alp...@nospam.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Craig Warton

Oct 30, 2001, 5:44:44 PM10/30/01
Andy,

Correct gauge for 4mm scale standard gauge is actually 18.83 mm and is
referred to as Protofour. EM was an ealier attempt and was originally
18mm..later slightly widened to 18.2mm

Regards,

Craig

Beowulf

Oct 31, 2001, 3:24:02 PM10/31/01
hi :)

<< If someone could explain the difference between HO and OO gauge
[Hornby Model Trains/ Railways] I would appreciate that. I'm confused
somewhat looking at the Hobbyco website. I had, and still have a box
full of Hornby trains, track and so on. This is all HO gauge. I was
thinking of purchasing a Flying Scotsman steam engine, however it is
listed as being available only in OO. Hell, what happening. Are these
different sized trains. [HO / 00] And if so, why are nearly all the
trains today available for purchase only in 00.

Confused
Karina>>

The OO "scale" dates back to the 30´s when it was found that British loco´s
and rolling stock could not accept, because of the small British loading
guage, the electric motors then available commercially, so a slight
modification was made from 3.5 mm to the foot to 4.mm to the foot, but
retaining the original gauge, the only alternative for the enthusiast then
was like A.R.Walkley (the inventor of the H.O. <half O> scale to not only
make your own models but to make your own electric motors and rails....but
then he was a genius, some of his stuff from the early 20´s still exists :).
Walkley Yard appeared I think in 1923 :)
In order to model prototypically some are modelling now in a scale
called P4 still 4mm but the gauge is near right! there is still a small
group in the UK modelling in HO...........
A similar problem exists for british N-scale...( I believe A.R.Walkley
actually built a steam pöwered 2mm model and a 1mm electric model...anyone
know more about this I would be gratefull if youd drop me a virtual line
D )

So be confused no more Karina......be very very confused LOL

Beowulf

Ray Jones

Oct 31, 2001, 4:11:48 PM10/31/01

Is the 4mm/foot and 3.5mm/foot sheer coincidence / close approximation ?

It seems a strange mix of standards, especially considering a mix of
French and English for the time frame specified :-)

In article <o6ZD7.1622$y02....@nntpserver.swip.net>,
peter....@swipnet.se says...

Karina Vor-daniken

Oct 31, 2001, 6:23:28 PM10/31/01
Thanks guys for that information. By the way, Hornby have updated
their website as it is most impressive.
http://www.hornby.co.uk/
--------------------------

Andy Browne

Nov 1, 2001, 1:16:14 AM11/1/01
Ray,
No, they are exact. OO is 1/76 scale and HO is 1/87.1 scale. Beowulf
explained the origins of the scales perfectly.
My impression was that true OO scale uses 18mm track gauge - EM, while P4
standards are the prototype standards scaled down to OOscale.
Cheers

"Ray Jones" <zath...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

John Dennis

Nov 1, 2001, 1:36:55 AM11/1/01
In article <3be0e82a$0$30764$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, Andy Browne says...

>No, they are exact. OO is 1/76 scale and HO is 1/87.1 scale. Beowulf
>explained the origins of the scales perfectly.
>My impression was that true OO scale uses 18mm track gauge - EM, while P4
>standards are the prototype standards scaled down to OOscale.

OO is 1/76 on 16.5mm track,
EM is 1/76 on 18.2mm track (now, was 18mm once)
P4 is 1/76 on 18.83mm track - uses scaled down prototype track/wheel standards
All of these assume we are talking about standard gauge models (despite OO only
scaling out to little more than 4-feet).
HO is 1/87 on 16.5mm track
P87 is also 1/87 on 16.5mm track, but with scaled down prototype track/wheel
standards

JohnD

John Dennis jde...@acslink.net.au
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
http://members.optushome.com.au/duttonbay

Andy Browne

Nov 1, 2001, 1:52:28 AM11/1/01
John,
I stand corrected!
Thanks

"John Dennis" <nos...@newsranger.com> wrote in message

Beowulf

Nov 1, 2001, 1:02:59 PM11/1/01
wASSAIL :)

< OO is 1/76 on 16.5mm track,
EM is 1/76 on 18.2mm track (now, was 18mm once)
P4 is 1/76 on 18.83mm track - uses scaled down prototype track/wheel
standards
All of these assume we are talking about standard gauge models (despite OO
only
scaling out to little more than 4-feet).
HO is 1/87 on 16.5mm track
P87 is also 1/87 on 16.5mm track, but with scaled down prototype
track/wheel
standards >

Never could remember this sort of thing :) However there were a couple of
narrow guage lines in the south of England (Cornwall) that had 4ft gauge for
its system...exactly like OO in fact :) (prototype for everything dept!) I
live now in Sweden and its all ( narrow guage that is) meter gauge here no
silly gauges at all :( some nice side rod electrics on the west coast
though :)
Beowulf

Andy Browne

Nov 2, 2001, 8:16:08 AM11/2/01
Hornby trains have different wheel flanges to other trains. One has to be
mindful of this when buying your track. I'm not sure but I think Peco do
make track to suit Hornby.

Any track made to American National Model Railroad Association standards, eg
Atlas, Shinohara, will not accept Hornby rollingstock.
Cheers

"Brendan" <nad...@start.com.au> wrote in message
> I've never successfully run Hornby OO trains on HO track (or vice versa)
> without having to make modifications to points. But Lima works on both.

Ben Scaro

Nov 2, 2001, 8:33:51 AM11/2/01
"Beowulf" <peter....@swipnet.se> wrote in message news:<98gE7.1717

> Never could remember this sort of thing :) However there were a couple of
> narrow guage lines in the south of England (Cornwall) that had 4ft gauge for
> its system...exactly like OO in fact :) (prototype for everything dept!) I
> live now in Sweden and its all ( narrow guage that is) meter gauge here no
> silly gauges at all :( some nice side rod electrics on the west coast
> though :)
> Beowulf

In Australia the discrepancy apparent in using 4mm scale models on
16.5mm track ended up being a boon for pioneering modellers in the
narrow gauge states who used the 4'1" track gauge that resulted as a
reasonable approximation for 3'6". All sorts of 00 wagon chassis
could be used and US outline H0 trucks made good approximations of the
typically smaller 3'6" freight bogie for 4mm scale models. The
compromise was on sleeper placement but cutting and spreading out
sleepers and judicious use of ballast minimises this.

In Tasmania, despite some hopes for H0n3.5 in the early 90s, 4mm scale
is still 'the only game in town' for narrow gauge modelling as far as
I know.

However, as we see more transfers of locos and wagons between narrow
gauge states and New Zealand, people are left with more difficult
choices of which scale to use.

Cheers

Ben

Beowulf

Nov 2, 2001, 12:24:18 PM11/2/01
wassail :)

< In Australia the discrepancy apparent in using 4mm scale models on
16.5mm track ended up being a boon for pioneering modellers in the
narrow gauge states who used the 4'1" track gauge that resulted as a
reasonable approximation for 3'6". All sorts of 00 wagon chassis
could be used and US outline H0 trucks made good approximations of the
typically smaller 3'6" freight bogie for 4mm scale models. The
compromise was on sleeper placement but cutting and spreading out
sleepers and judicious use of ballast minimises this.

In Tasmania, despite some hopes for H0n3.5 in the early 90s, 4mm scale
is still 'the only game in town' for narrow gauge modelling as far as
I know.

However, as we see more transfers of locos and wagons between narrow
gauge states and New Zealand, people are left with more difficult
choices of which scale to use.>

I joined this group because I found myself dismally ignorant about
Australian Railways (I'm from England) it's nice to meet a bunch of fellow
enthusiasts with nice accents :D
I wasnt aware of the Tasmanian narrow guage at all......actually I hadnt
even known they had a railway :( ignorance aint bliss ! I was aware of a
similarity in Loco styles in Oz and Blighty but not that wagon bodies were
also similar, those I've seen seem to be more US inspired, the only diesels
I had seen were from Lima, and I have been even less impressed by Lima than
by Hornby....Unfortunately none of the european mags that I read (british
Swedish and occasionally with horrendous difficulty German ......"Ich liebe
bratwurst" is about my level of german.....)write much about antipodean
railways, I can only remeber seeing one article on an aussie layout and
another on an NZ narrow guage Quarry layout. Perhaps Australian modellers
could bully British mags into writing more about your layouts and 12 inch to
the foot sclae systems :) threaten to make ém drink Fosters instead of
tea.......could´nt do any harm could it? (the mags not the Fosters !!)
How do you get over the guage transfer problems?

Beowulf

Andy Browne

Nov 2, 2001, 2:56:50 PM11/2/01
Beowulf,
Continental Modeller sometimes has Australian articles.

Standard and broad gauge transfers are now no longer a problem, as the
bogies are changed to suit, but before the standard gauge line from Albury
to Melbourne was built all freight had to be transferred to broad gauge
wagons at Albury, and all passengers had to change trains as well.

Hope this helps.

"Beowulf" <peter....@swipnet.se> wrote in message

Beowulf

Nov 2, 2001, 3:26:27 PM11/2/01
Wassail :)

´Dear Andy "

<Continental Modeller sometimes has Australian articles.
Standard and broad gauge transfers are now no longer a problem, as the
bogies are changed to suit, but before the standard gauge line from Albury
to Melbourne was built all freight had to be transferred to broad gauge
wagons at Albury, and all passengers had to change trains as well.
Hope this helps.>

Thanks for the tip :)
The goods change over sounds very "broad guage Great Western" what was
the reason behind the choice of narrow guage for Australian railways? 4´1"
is not so far from standard that huge savings cash wise would have come?
I assume that when you refer to broad guage you mean standard? not 5´1"
or 7´ or volks electric railway in Brighton with its 20+ feet guage (also
the only railway vehicle that had to carry a lifeboat by law due to its
actually going through the sea at one point..despite it being
electric......)
Anyway thanks once again for the info :) I shall drive tommorrow into
Södertälje and see if I can obtain a copy of C.M. 45 miles for a
mag...bummer :(
Yours occasionally in gauge...
Beowulf (Pete Forden)

Bill Bolton

Nov 3, 2001, 2:52:46 AM11/3/01
"Andy Browne" <brow...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hornby trains have different wheel flanges to other trains.

Hornby Dublo models always had quite fine wheel/flange profiles,
Hornby Railways trains for many years had relatively coarse
wheel/flange profiles.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia

Bill Bolton

Nov 3, 2001, 3:04:11 AM11/3/01
"Beowulf" <peter....@swipnet.se> wrote:

> the reason behind the choice of narrow guage for Australian railways?

Because its:

* cheaper
* cost less
* more economical
* you can paint it Red.

> 4´1" is not so far from standard that huge savings cash wise would have come?

No 4'1" here as far as I'm aware. The common Australian gauges are:

1600mm (5'3") aka "Broad"
1435mm (4'8.5") aka "Standard"
1067mm (3'6") aka "Narrow"
610mm (2') aka "Industrial & Sugar Cane Tramway"

Various other narrower than standard gauges have also been used in
smallish amounts at diverse times and places.

Beowulf

Nov 3, 2001, 6:26:00 AM11/3/01

<[[ the reason behind the choice of narrow guage for Australian railways?]]

Because its:

* cheaper
* cost less
* more economical
* you can paint it Red.

[[4´1" is not so far from standard that huge savings cash wise would have
come?]]

No 4'1" here as far as I'm aware. The common Australian gauges are:

1600mm (5'3") aka "Broad"
1435mm (4'8.5") aka "Standard"
1067mm (3'6") aka "Narrow"
610mm (2') aka "Industrial & Sugar Cane Tramway"

Various other narrower than standard gauges have also been used in
smallish amounts at diverse times and places.

Cheers,

Bill>

:) I take it painting a train other than red is considered blasphemy in
Australia :)? (Swedish non steam locos were a sort of brown red as were the
coaches....looked very nice against the background of green forest....they
went beserk a few years ago and painted them just about any colour you could
imagine.......about the same time the started to import Fosters here
hmmmmmm)
No 4´1" :( my ignorance is even greater than I thought woe is me :(
How easy is it to buy scale 5´3" equipment? is it just horrendously
expensive brass imports or is there an Australian version of hornby (with
motors that work ... 8^/ .....) that produces them?
Thanks for the info by the way, I grovel and beg forgivenness for me
iggyrance :)
Beowulf

Ben Scaro

Nov 3, 2001, 8:04:55 AM11/3/01
Hi

All Tasmanian railways are narrow- that is 3'6" gauge and 00 scale
models with H0 track scaling out at 4'1" are considered 'close enough'
by most modellers. More to the point, they look right. Tasmania did
start off with the same gauge as Victoria, 5'3", but it was deemed too
expensive.

Australian wagons were usually British in style until the Webb Era in
South Australia in the 1920s when large numbers of US style gondolas
and flats began to be used. Other states started to change to US
style about then too- however 4 wheelers were still being built in
some states until the early 1970s and were used until the mid 90s- an
example is some of the Western Australian coal traffic which used
highside wooden 4 wheelers till the mid 90s- the power station tippler
was designed to take wagons that size. Along side these changes were
a gradual migration of many states from vacuum to air braking for
wagons.

Gauge transfer problems were gotten over in various ways. South
Australia had the worst problems as they even had different gauges
within the state- 5'3" for main lines and 3'6" for more marginal lines
! When they had coal traffic that ran on both gauges, they
constructed a tippler which tipped whole narrow gauge bogie wagons
into waiting broad gauge wagons below. This was at Terowie. Later
when much of the narrow gauge was converted to standard as part of the
transcontinental railway project in the late 60s - the line from
Broken Hill to Port Pirie- they built bogie exchange facilities for
broad and standard and even had two triple gauge stations where a
couple of unconverted narrow lines met the standard gauge main line
and the broad gauge lines coming up from Adelaide.

The gauge problems bedevilled lines in SA though, and the problems
have only been resolved with the closure of many marginal broad gauge
and a couple of narrow gauge lines, conversion of the remainder to
standard, with a small island of broad gauge still existing around
Adelaide for commuter trains, grain and stone traffic to Adelaide
only. Remaining narrow gauge is the Port Lincoln lines which are
isolated from the rest of the rail system anyway. In some ways it's
a little easier these days because remaining broad and narrow lines
just carry bulk traffics like grains or minerals to port. They don't
carry general freight that might have to go onto another gauge.

This holds true for Western Australia too, though there is probably
some freight there that is transferred from narrow to standard and
vice versa. Victoria is likely to have more problems and I think has
decided to bite the bullet and convert its system to standard.
Queensland railways tend to go their own way and operate rather
differently, although there is no standard-narrow bogie exchange some
containerised loads are probably transferred between gauges.
Tasmania, being an island, doesn't have such problems although they
could have had a rail ferry if they shared the same gauge with
Victoria. Containerisation made transfers a lot easier and was
enthusiastically supported by the Tas Government Railways.

I live in Vauxhall in London, though am originally from Tasmania, and
it's amazing to see modern 4 wheelers still in use, and modern locos
with buffers and screw couplers. Takes a lot of getting used to !

Cheers

Ben

Lambing Flat

Nov 3, 2001, 8:16:15 AM11/3/01
to Beowulf

Beowulf wrote:

> I wasnt aware of the Tasmanian narrow guage at all......actually I hadnt
> even known they had a railway

Good God Man! Unaware of Tasmanian railways! Go to
http://www.railtasmania.com/index.html
and you will probably find out more than you wanted to know!

> Perhaps Australian modellers could bully British mags into writing more about
> your layouts and 12 inch to the foot sclae systems :

We don't need to. We have our own. Try
http://www.users.bigpond.com/AMRM.mag/index.html
and australianmodelrailways.com

DPC James McInerney

STOP! In The Name Of The Lore!

At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's" mainpage for the HO model
and NSWGR information.
Or http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html for the "Rurr Valley Railway",
my G gauge freelanced Tasmanian garden line

Lambing Flat

Nov 3, 2001, 8:25:00 AM11/3/01

that should, of course, be http://www.australianmodelrailways.com

> DPC James McInerney
>
> STOP! In The Name Of The Lore!
>
> At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's" mainpage for the HO model
> and NSWGR information.
> Or http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html for the "Rurr Valley Railway",
> my G gauge freelanced Tasmanian garden line

--
DPC James McInerney

STOP! In The Name Of The Lore!

At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's" mainpage for the HO model and
NSWGR information.
Or http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html for the "Rurr Valley Railway", my G

gauge garden line

Bill Bolton

Nov 4, 2001, 7:10:06 AM11/4/01
"Beowulf" <peter....@swipnet.se> wrote:

> :) I take it painting a train other than red is considered blasphemy in
> Australia :)?

Not really, but by strange serendipity most of larger Australian rail
operations seem to have ended up in some shade of red as their
standard colour at least once (if not several times) during their
operational histories.

> How easy is it to buy scale 5´3" equipment? is it just horrendously
> expensive brass imports or is there an Australian version of hornby (with
> motors that work ... 8^/ .....) that produces them?

There are a few modellers who scratch build or kit bash into 18.4mm
(or thereabouts gauge track with 1:87 (H0) scale models (made somewhat
easier since the advent of P4 wheel/track components intended for true
1:76 standard gauge). There are numerous HO scale commercial (mass
produced and limited run) models of 5'3" gauge prototypes available,
but most modellers just operate them on 16.5mm gauge running gear.

There is also a fairly good limited run commercial market emerging in
HO scale for 3'6" gauge prototypes running on 12mm gauge track.

As far as I can tell, most of the majority of 2' gauge modelling seems
to be occurring on 16mm scale (1:19).

Ben Scaro

Nov 4, 2001, 3:58:17 PM11/4/01
4´1"
> is not so far from standard that huge savings cash wise would have come?

Pete, I should clarify that Australia doesn't have any 4'1". It is
just that when you use 00 scale on H0 track the 16.5mm track scales
out to about 4'1".

00 on H0 track is thus seven inches wider than 3'6" and seven and a
half inches narrower than standard gauge.

So it's a suitable compromise, particularly if a person wants to run
their standard and narrow gauge model trains on the same track, which
some Queensland modellers used to do in the 60s and 70s. Saves having
two separate layouts ! [Queensland has a section of standard gauge
line connecting Brisbane with the NSW rail system and which was
operated by the NSW Govt Railways.]

Because of the difficulty of modelling narrow gauge [which commonly
means 3'6" in Australia], Australasian modellers have adopted a
variety of solutions.

Sn3.5 is used mainly in New Zealand, Western Australia and by a
minority in Queensland.

A minority of New Zealanders use TTn3.5- which is called NZ120. NZ120
is the same idea as Sn3.5- larger TT scale bodies on commercially
available N mechanisms and track.

H0n3.5 is used by the majority in Queensland, with South Australians
split between H0n3.5 and H0n3.

The advantage of H0n3 in a state with dual gauge track like SA is that
it permits you to use US dual gauge track- the 4'8.5"/3' dual gauge
tracks made by Shinohara etc looks correct for 5'3"/3'6" dual gauge !
Also there are US H0n3 components that can be used.

Tasmanians of course stuck to 00.

Sorry to confuse you more ;-)

Cheers

Ben

Peter and Susan

Nov 5, 2001, 6:12:47 AM11/5/01
On 3 Nov 2001 05:04:55 -0800, bsc...@yahoo.com (Ben Scaro) wrote:

>Queensland railways tend to go their own way and operate rather
>differently, although there is no standard-narrow bogie exchange some
>containerised loads are probably transferred between gauges.

>I live in Vauxhall in London, though am originally from Tasmania, and
>it's amazing to see modern 4 wheelers still in use, and modern locos
>with buffers and screw couplers. Takes a lot of getting used to !
>Cheers
>Ben

The GSPE passenger carriages are bogie exchanged at Acacia Ridge.

Cheers
Peter

Beowulf

Nov 5, 2001, 7:15:22 AM11/5/01
Wassail :)

< The advantage of H0n3 in a state with dual gauge track like SA is that
it permits you to use US dual gauge track- the 4'8.5"/3' dual gauge
tracks made by Shinohara etc looks correct for 5'3"/3'6" dual gauge !
Also there are US H0n3 components that can be used.

Tasmanians of course stuck to 00.

Sorry to confuse you more ;-)

Cheers

Sorry to confuse me more!!!!!!?????? Good grief! as far as railways go
Australia is the continent with multiple personality syndrome!! How the heck
do you choose what to model?!! I mean I have enough problems being a Pom who
lives in Sweden with scandinavian systems and the Uk systems and a liking of
US locos, as well as Beyer Garrats, but atleast my probs are international
:D can anyone explain how you fellows down under dont go screaming for a
Fosters brain destroyer at your local watering hotel when faced with the
huge range of possible scales/guages!!!???
Terry pratchetts book "The last continent" is beginning to look
decidedly tame in comparison to Aussie rail!
( sorry to be a bit fascetious! :) )
Peter Forden (AKA Beowulf)

Andy Browne

Nov 5, 2001, 7:42:17 AM11/5/01
Peter,
Speaking for myself, I tend to model what I see in my home state of NSW,
and most of the members of the club I belong to tend to follow the same line
of thinking, even though we may have an interest in a different era.
Cheers.

"Beowulf" <peter....@swipnet.se> wrote in message

Beowulf

Nov 5, 2001, 7:43:46 AM11/5/01
wassail :)

< Speaking for myself, I tend to model what I see in my home state of NSW,
and most of the members of the club I belong to tend to follow the same
line
of thinking, even though we may have an interest in a different era.
Cheers.>

This would seem to be the easiest way :), still it must be a horrible
temptaion with so many wonderful railways (I've been browsing Oz systems on
the web !) to just limit yourself to one!
Peter Forden (AKA Beowulf)

Al

Nov 5, 2001, 5:49:05 PM11/5/01
> Sorry to confuse me more!!!!!!?????? Good grief! as far as railways go
> Australia is the continent with multiple personality syndrome!! How the heck
> do you choose what to model?!! I mean I have enough problems being a Pom who
> lives in Sweden with scandinavian systems and the Uk systems and a liking of
> US locos, as well as Beyer Garrats, but atleast my probs are international
> :D can anyone explain how you fellows down under dont go screaming for a
> Fosters brain destroyer at your local watering hotel when faced with the
> huge range of possible scales/guages!!!???

That's easy. We don't drink Fosters.

Al

Jack Russell

Nov 5, 2001, 6:47:02 PM11/5/01
Beowulf,

You seem under the misguided impression that Australians drink Fosters. It is
generally regarded as a lousy beer down here and it was marketing hype that
sucked the UK in. (On top of which the Fosters sold in the UK is brewed there
and tastes different again).

Jack Russell

Beowulf

Nov 6, 2001, 4:29:05 AM11/6/01
Wassail :)

< You seem under the misguided impression that Australians drink Fosters. It
is
generally regarded as a lousy beer down here and it was marketing hype that
sucked the UK in. (On top of which the Fosters sold in the UK is brewed
there
and tastes different again).

Jack Russell>

You have no idea how relieved I am to hear this :D On the other hand being a
theologian I drink Bishops Finger ale myself :)
As an aside I do hope my references to Fosters has not insulted
anyone,(except a certain brewery...one step up from US Budweiser in my
opinion !) if it has I appologise now for my brick in face sensitivity,
humour does not always translate well on the net :(
Peter Forden (Beowulf)

Bill Bolton

Nov 6, 2001, 7:03:27 AM11/6/01
"Beowulf" <peter....@swipnet.se> wrote:

> Terry pratchetts book "The last continent" is beginning to look
> decidedly tame in comparison to Aussie rail!

"The Railways Up On Canis" were worse.

Alan Bone

Nov 6, 2001, 8:41:59 AM11/6/01
On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:47:02 +1100, Jack Russell
<ja...@syd-mail.tpg.com.au> wrote:

>Beowulf,
>
>You seem under the misguided impression that Australians drink Fosters. It is
>generally regarded as a lousy beer down here and it was marketing hype that
>sucked the UK in. (On top of which the Fosters sold in the UK is brewed there
>and tastes different again).

Does Fosters come from Mexico ? I have been told it is inferior
to Mucky Duck, no personal experience as I only (& rarely) drink
plonk.
The last time I drank beer was 1964 in Bamba Zonke, Rhodesia, Lion
ale & Castle beer.

Alan

in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz
VK6 YAB ICQ 1681610

nlichten...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2017, 5:23:47 PM4/20/17
Thank you so much. I was wondering if it's possible to perchous a Hornby high speed train set that says OO scale on the box, and run it on an digitraxx HO gage layout.

All in all we should try hard not to get the SCALE and the GAGE confused.

Back to the OO and HO comparasen. The Scales are different but the Gage's are same.