codecs

Darren

Apr 15, 2002, 8:52:41 AM4/15/02
I work at a community station in Sydney and we have been approached with a
proposal to do regular OB's for a company. We have been doing them for about
12 mths now using standard telephone lines and an isolation transformer with
a mic mixer into our talkback system. They are reasonably happy but they
are now in a position that they possibly want to spend money to make it
better, so that we can do the whole show from there and sound better. Codecs
are the answer. I know of Hotline and Tieline in the Dial up range are
there any others and what is best?
They will be used for all OB's not just these ones, so they need to be
simple Dial up rather than ISDN, (This mob "MIGHT" cough up fror the lines
but Its too expensive for to run them to Every OB)

Thanks
Darren

Give it a go. Remember Professionals Built the Titanic, Amateurs built the
ark. :)

Brett

Apr 15, 2002, 9:10:10 AM4/15/02
"Red Line" are good ... around $20 k for a set I think

"Darren" <cmexlr8@optushomeDOTcomDOTau> wrote in message

David Kilpatrick

Apr 15, 2002, 9:42:50 AM4/15/02
Darren ..

At the radio station I work at, we recently got to try out a set of Tielines
against a set of Scoop Reporters and Smarti.
Suffice to say the Tieline blitzed the other 2 in terms of sound quality.

We were fortunant to get a pair on loan to try for a day. If you can manage
the same, I think you will agree that the audio quality is beyond compare...
--
David Kilpatrick
da...@davekworld.com

_matt_cook_

Apr 16, 2002, 12:10:34 AM4/16/02

"Darren" <cmexlr8@optushomeDOTcomDOTau> wrote in message

Are there any ADSL based systems on the market yet?

m*star

Apr 16, 2002, 9:23:56 AM4/16/02
Excuse my ignorance but doesn't ASDL only increase internet speed? I
realise that relies on bandwidth but with ISDN if it's a 64K line you
know it is just that.

With ASDL isin't it variable on the number of users so therefore
unreliable on that point but also that ASDL is a system that "cheats" up
the bandwidth of crappy copper lines. So you might get fast internet
connection but in essence the ASDL system "fools" the line via
compression etc. - something like mp3 how you can fit so much more than
the usual.

Don't most stations on the cheap with OB's (incl many commercial
stations and esp AM commercial stations in cap cities) just use a few
normal telephone lines?

Marcus Fitz-Gerald
Brisbane

NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS
mcf_ql...@hotmail.com

Phillo

Apr 16, 2002, 11:23:56 AM4/16/02
What delay do you get when using the tieline codecs????

"David Kilpatrick" <dkil...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

p tate

Apr 16, 2002, 10:18:05 PM4/16/02
Guys guys guys!
Listen up from my experience if you can get it there is nothing better
than anothers STL link (anologue).
If it is a regular gig the cost of yagis is 200 bucks the cable needs
to be of the low loss variety. A licencse from the ACA for S.O.B. on 4
channels on either end of the STL 850 mhz band.

Pros
only you and your crew are responsible in the event of failure (no
ringing telstra)
No delay (if there is to be BACK CHAT) this is a pian in the arse. I'm
sure we've seen the satelite delay on TV when they interview people
live etc.
Full audio 15khz bandwidth.
cheaper than codecs at about 5-10 grand for a good link
usable as a spare link if your main one dies
no data costs or dial up fees

cons
labour intensive to setup first time
mono
limited to line of sight to studio or tx hill if you put in a line
back down to the studio

HOT line (POTS CODEC)
Great for acessability
only need a standard phone line and your in business
max bandwidth is 10/12 khz depending on speed negoitated at hook up
local call
TIP-----only go to a max of two phone exchange areas when using these
full two way chat over line in a produer to live talent situation

delay will put talent off if live speakers at the site replay to the
public what is on air
Delay is more than a isdn codec but the trade off is portability you
can go at the drop of a hat aslong as you can get a standard phone
line at the site
Good headphones are a must so that takent can hear the producer ques
and not be put off by the local play back
HOT line POTS codecs are a bit more pricy and are a bit more touchy
and will renegotiate the line always at the wrong time

ISDN

More reliable and the delay is less but you are limited to places
where you need an isdn line put in and it is a timed data call any
where
They are more expensive as one would expect
But if you are wanting to just hook up to a nite club and just walk
off these are the go.

Final thoughts
If you want lots of back chat between studio and ob site the STL link
is best if you can do it for the reason of NO DELAY. You will need to
get a phone or mobile to the ob site to talk to talent.
The comment of OB's sounding better is very questionable in my view
when done totally from the site.
The hot line pots will not be good for running totally from the ob
site music and all no way.
We did an OB from Dreamworld here on the coast i had the hotlines in
and talent at the site with proper headsets on. The pa speakers around
the site just plugged into a tuner. They were qued by me as a producer
from the studio and we were running on a fixed play list which they
had copies of so they knew what was coming up and could say it.
All station program but the talk breaks came from the studio as normal
thus maintaining station consitancy. Doing it this way ment that we
could get public to do voice drops when not live to air and edit them
into promos for use through out the day. These kick the sound along no
end.
I wish you all the best in the choices made

Regards

p tate

Station X

Supa-star

Apr 16, 2002, 10:35:55 PM4/16/02
I doubt there will every be an xDSL product for outside broadcasts

xDSL includes ADSL HDSL, IDSL, SDSL VDSL. These are point to point services
simular to a DDN services e.g not switched

Each DSL exchange usally has a Cisco DSLAM (not if your telstra) which has a
high speed link to it

m*star as for compression its not compressed "like mp3's"
Infact it doesnt compress the data at all, DSL uses different more efficient
signaling.
there are 2 types CAP (Carrierless Amplitude Phase Modulation) and DMT
(Discrete Multi-Tone)

DMT seems to be the industry's choice
ISDN however uses more primitive digital signalling.

"_matt_cook_" <mat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Darren

Apr 16, 2002, 11:02:16 PM4/16/02
100ms delay with tielines
120ms with Hotlines

"Phillo" <satnig...@telstra.com> wrote in message

m*star

Apr 17, 2002, 12:17:17 AM4/17/02
p tate wrote:

> Guys guys guys!
> Listen up from my experience if you can get it there is nothing better
> than anothers STL link (anologue).
> If it is a regular gig the cost of yagis is 200 bucks the cable needs
> to be of the low loss variety. A licencse from the ACA for S.O.B. on 4
> channels on either end of the STL 850 mhz band.

Doesn't Austereo use STL's for their links on black thunders etc? I've
seen the one in the carpark under their Bondi Junction studios.

> ISDN
>
> More reliable and the delay is less but you are limited to places
> where you need an isdn line put in and it is a timed data call any
> where
> They are more expensive as one would expect
> But if you are wanting to just hook up to a nite club and just walk
> off these are the go.

But don't you have to manually assist ISDN's to connect ie. you can't
put it's startup into your automation?

Jack McCaw

Apr 17, 2002, 5:23:17 AM4/17/02
p tate <manag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Guys guys guys!

: Listen up from my experience if you can get it there is nothing better
: than anothers STL link (anologue).

I'll agree with that.

: cons

: labour intensive to setup first time
: mono

ummm... No, not neccesarily...

: limited to line of sight to studio or tx hill if you put in a line

: back down to the studio

OB STL signal ---------->
\

Mixer ----> tx
/
Studio STL signal------>

Monitor off-air, chat as if you are simply in adjacent studios.

Many community stations use these, and it is ... cheap, effective and
sounds good. MAX FM in Narrabri use it to cover things like football etc,
and supply everything, including music from the OB van.

Jack@!

Paul Dengate

Apr 17, 2002, 3:14:06 PM4/17/02
> But don't you have to manually assist ISDN's to connect ie. you can't
> put it's startup into your automation?

You could easily put a GPI out of your automatic to connect to a
Prima/Zephyr to run a pre-programmed number. Systems like RCS will also put
out serial data which could be used for direct control of a codec.

However, most OBs you really just want to dial and stay connected don't you?

--

Paul Dengate
Email dingbat&mail.com (you know how to fix it)

p tate

Apr 18, 2002, 12:03:29 PM4/18/02
Jack I'm a little worried about your diagram.
Are you sugesting that to do the ob you mess with the MIAN audio link
to your TX?

If so where is the processing? At no time do i mess with the main
chain to the tx any station that does this is very silly as it changes
the sound of the station.

Using STL links are great no delay and full quality so as you say can
supply the tunes and all from there.

Once again i'd not recomend it as station sound is not an easy thing
to main tain in the field.

Talent (term used loosly) are usualy to busy chatting or just forget
or just stuff up.

The best thing if you want to make it look good is stacks of gear and
banners etc. But if your smart you go with the least that way you can
move if it rians or just don't want to bring an army to set up.

The important thing with OB's in my finding is they INTRODUCE your
audience to the event your OB ing from. Thus you need to keep up what
your audience is use too. And you need flexiblity to record interviews
whilst guests are available.

This all lead to the way I did them with only the voices coming from
the site. We had the ability to connect to the pa for crosses to the
stage area.
The rest is all pre programming to take the load off the guys in the
field.

Don't get me wrong if it is a nite club ob plug in and walk off. yes

But we did get some large browny points as our OB was followed by one
done by a fellow aspirant (now full time)that does ob's all the time.
This is another point don't over do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They become
tooooo normal and not special.

The coments were we sounded very tight and professional in comparison
to what followed.

Regards,

peter

_matt_cook_

Apr 18, 2002, 6:56:56 PM4/18/02

"m*star" <mcf_ql...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'm not really sure what you mean by "cheats". I just assumed that as most
places can get 1.5Mbs using DSL codecs, having a box that uses these could
allow really, really nice audio. In the UK there's a pay-TV service that
offers full screen video over ADSL. Why shouldn't PCM+ADSL or MP3+ADSL also
give excellent fidelity (assuming your service hasn't dropped out...)

Similarly, we could all have videophones plugged into our existing network.
Or even just using MP3+56k have much, much better audio phones.

Jack McCaw

Apr 21, 2002, 6:40:49 AM4/21/02
p tate <manag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Jack I'm a little worried about your diagram.
: Are you sugesting that to do the ob you mess with the MAIN audio link
: to your TX?

: If so where is the processing?

Ya know, I don't know.

In fact, I don't think they use a processor.

: At no time do i mess with the main

: chain to the tx any station that does this is very silly as it changes
: the sound of the station.

Maybe...

However, possibly content, rather than wide, compressed, bass
enhanced etc might influence listeners.

Depends on what you are broadcasting.

Jack@!
--
Community Radio - "The bracing excitement of an unknown,
create-as-you-go future"

Shaun Stapleton

Apr 23, 2002, 7:41:00 AM4/23/02
Well if there not using any AGC or limiting it's not to the ABA
regulations....To me and most techs the processor/limiter is one of the most
important aspects of the on air chain, and I'm sure Peter would agree with
me.

One of the easiest ways is tho have a low power fm stereo tx with high gain
yagi's and have it setup for the event. Most times when you tell the ACA
and in some cases the ABA they will allow you to broadcast for a few hours
with no problem if it's not interfering with any other radio services with
the lowest power possible to make the trip, I have down this a few times in
regional areas which may not be possible in capital city's. Also if it's
going to be a regular weekly event setup a stl link, AGC/Limiter permanently
and because it's community radio a few seconds of switching links is
normally acceptable.

Shaun Stapleton.

"Jack McCaw" <jmc...@metz.une.edu.au> wrote in message

Shaun Stapleton

Apr 23, 2002, 7:43:31 AM4/23/02
Just to add a second stereo coder as well..... could also be used as a back
up if need be as well.

"Shaun Stapleton" <sh...@shaunstapleton.com> wrote in message