2GB and Laws

Peter Kukura

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
2GB news leads with a story screaming
"2UE moves to distance itself from John Laws".
What utter garbage. Misleading and untrue.
The story then went on to explain that 2UE's legal representative
at the ABA tribunal had pointed out that as Laws was a contractor to 2UE,
Laws and 2UE were not the same identity.
And this is 2UE distancing itself from John Laws?
Grab a brain!

That, in addition to Mike Gibson's clearly biased,
and almost slanderous on-air attack on Laws and 2UE indicate
again why 2GB are where they are - heading for asterisk land.

A day or so ago one of their callers asked how were 2GB's ratings.
After an embarrassed pregnant pause, (no doubt thinking to himself
"Christ, how do I get out of this one") the announcer replied that
"in some areas they were improving".
Yeah sure - and just before the whole thing sank without trace, the arse end
of the
Titanic went up too mate!!!!

Ranj Samrai

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99
Asterisk land - hello 3AK, the mighty 1503 might only dream of having 3 or
4 percent in the ratings like 2GB. At least 2GB has been competitive in the
last decade, unlike Melbourne's Radio Titanic which dropped off the earth
in the mid-80's.

David

Jack McCaw

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
Peter Kukura (ko...@tig.com.au) wrote:
: 2GB news leads with a story screaming

: "2UE moves to distance itself from John Laws".
: What utter garbage. Misleading and untrue.
: The story then went on to explain that 2UE's legal representative
: at the ABA tribunal had pointed out that as Laws was a contractor to 2UE,
: Laws and 2UE were not the same identity.
: And this is 2UE distancing itself from John Laws?
: Grab a brain!

OK, try this headline.
"Radio boss accuses Laws of lying over deals memo
The Australian

JOHN Laws's future was uncertain last night after 2UE chairman John Conde
accused him of lying to the Australian Broadcasting Authority."

That not only sounds like distancing, but also that J. Laws is
being exposed as a liar.

Your response to this would be?
Jack@!

--------------
"The bracing excitement of an unknown,
create-as-you-go future"

Paul Dengate

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
> OK, try this headline.
> "Radio boss accuses Laws of lying over deals memo
> The Australian
>
> JOHN Laws's future was uncertain last night after 2UE chairman John
Conde
> accused him of lying to the Australian Broadcasting Authority."
>
> That not only sounds like distancing, but also that J. Laws is
> being exposed as a liar.
>
> Your response to this would be?

I'd still rather be John Laws the Jack McCaw.

--

Paul Dengate
Sky Radio Network

Jack McCaw

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
Kooki (ko...@tig.com.au) wrote:
: My response is this:
: Given the information on which 2GB based their story - it was totally false
: and innaccurate.
: The info to which you refer came about a week later. This can not justify
: 2GB's report. Don't tell me you are trying to support their rediculous
: story?

However it has come out that 2UE is distancing itself from John
Laws. So 2GB, (another commercial station vying for dollars) put spin on
a story. Big deal. Happens all the time in the commercial media - ever
seen A Current Affair?

Don't tell me you are trying to support John Laws?

Jack@!

Kooki

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
My response is this:

Given the information on which 2GB based their story - it was totally false
and innaccurate.
The info to which you refer came about a week later. This can not justify
2GB's report. Don't tell me you are trying to support their rediculous
story?

> OK, try this headline.
>"Radio boss accuses Laws of lying over deals memo
>The Australian
>
>JOHN Laws's future was uncertain last night after 2UE chairman John Conde
>accused him of lying to the Australian Broadcasting Authority."
>
> That not only sounds like distancing, but also that J. Laws is
>being exposed as a liar.
>
> Your response to this would be?

>Jack@!

Kooki

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
If a radio news service presents a biased and innaccurate story in order to
"get" at a superior competitor then that is not good broadcasting, it's sour
grapes!

In terms of supporting Laws - I'll give anyone my support until he or she
has been proven to have done something dishonest or knowingly wrong! By
applying that criterium, Laws has my support and 2GB does not!!!

> However it has come out that 2UE is distancing itself from John
>Laws. So 2GB, (another commercial station vying for dollars) put spin on
>a story. Big deal. Happens all the time in the commercial media - ever
>seen A Current Affair?
>

> Don't tell me you are trying to support John Laws?

Terry Bell

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
I think it should be noted here that taking money from any source in return for
favourable comment is wrong. Unless the listeners are informed up front that the
opinions expressed are being paid for by whomever. Then the listeners are aware
that the viewpoint is, in fact, biased.
Terry

cyber...@my-deja.com

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
In article <381E8462...@home.com>,

Terry Bell <gtb...@home.com> wrote:
> I think it should be noted here that taking money from any source in
return for
> favourable comment is wrong. Unless the listeners are informed up
front that the
> opinions expressed are being paid for by whomever. Then the listeners
are aware
> that the viewpoint is, in fact, biased.
> Terry

Now when it comes to talking about John Laws I'm pretty indifferent.
Not my cup of tea but hey, people like him. I agree taking money in
exchange for favorable comment is unethical (I don't go so far as to
say what's right or wrong) but hearing his show (as I occasionally have
to because we run it on one of our stations)but whenever he reads a
commercial, he reads a live commercial. Now say he's got a contract
with POW fruitjuice and they have a poison scare and doesn't put to air
negative calls regarding POW, then how can this be entirely wrong.
That's why commercial radio is media. People advertise so people can
know about their business. If POW are spending dollars with your
station then who would be stupid enough to say or air negative comment
about them.
People regard the radio as entertainment thus they forget it is a
business.
No matter what the wowsers say we do not OWE anyone anything.
It's like saying that FourNTwenty Pies Owe us better pies than they are
making. It's a ridiculous argument.
Did anyone even HEAR the "whole story" banks thing that Laws was
running that started this whole mess? It seemed on the level to me.
Could anyone tell why it was not?
I also partially agree whith Laws when he says his listeners would have
to be stupid not to know he was getting paid. However I know theres
more to it than the banks thing so before Jack@ starts ripping into me
I'll leave by saying again - it's commercial radio - not a public toy -
people can listen if they like - if they want to switch to another
station then fine just don't start with tosh like favorable comment
cannot be bought. Just today I read a commercial about a Cafe`. I'd
never been to it, it was only opened yesterday, yet I said it was
GGRREAT!!!
It's why it called Commercial Radio. Live with it Kids

=D

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Terry Bell

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
OK I grant you I am an outsider, living and working in Canada as I do.
But, letting Laws and the others off the hook by saying, simply, that
it's commercial radio, what do you expect, doesn't cut it with me. As I
have said in previous postings it doesn't wash at this end. When some of
you read commercials for one client or another, the listeneer is aware
that it's a commercial. When Mr. Laws omits negative news or opinion
about a client from himself or his listeners because he has been paid to
only say kind things, that's just plain wrong and deceitful.
Terry

Spot

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
Would you kindly comment on the following:

1. Does the extra "commercial/comment" exceed the maximum time per hour
for commercial content???

2. Is a political comment with out the required tag in breach of the
broadcast act/regulations???

3. If say I'm being paid (under the counter) by Optus and I bag Telstra
or pay (cash or kind) to mates to ring and complain about Telstra or bait
people (show intro/only put calls to air with a negative spin) to bag
Telstra am I braking any laws?

Thanks for your time.

Jack McCaw

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Spot (N...@thisaddress.com) wrote:
: Would you kindly comment on the following:

: 1. Does the extra "commercial/comment" exceed the maximum time per hour
: for commercial content???

Yes.

: 2. Is a political comment with out the required tag in breach of the
: broadcast act/regulations???

Umm... without being a lawyer: yes.

: 3. If say I'm being paid (under the counter) by Optus and I bag Telstra

: or pay (cash or kind) to mates to ring and complain about Telstra or bait
: people (show intro/only put calls to air with a negative spin) to bag
: Telstra am I braking any laws?

Again without being a lawyer: yes.

Laws AND Jones AND 2UE are not looking good from the publicity
that they are recieving. In my opinion, the entire commercial radio
industry is being thrown into disrepute.

Jack@!

Paul Dengate

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
> Laws AND Jones AND 2UE are not looking good from the publicity
> that they are recieving. In my opinion, the entire commercial radio
> industry is being thrown into disrepute.

You would say that. I am not giving an opinion, but on the other side of
things commercial radio is being seen as an extremely powerful and
effective medium. Given it only attract 10% or so of advertising dollars
across all media, this could be good publicity for the industry. Of
course, no-one will admit it. I guess we really have to see the outcome
of the inquiries before the real picture becomes clear.

cyber...@my-deja.com

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
In article <MPLANET.382ca2aci...@news.fl.net.au>,

insinc...@mailexcite.com (Paul Dengate) wrote:
> > Laws AND Jones AND 2UE are not looking good from the publicity
> > that they are recieving. In my opinion, the entire commercial radio
> > industry is being thrown into disrepute.

Lawsy feels let down and Jonsey can't tell the fineprint from his arse,
but dammit, they'll keep on keepin on. Lawsey might move. Jones...who
knows, but I doubt much will happen.
I still think a great perspective was put across when John Brennan,
their PROGRAM DIRECTOR said he was afraid to even mention the private
deals thing to them in case quote "all hell would break loose".
A little more control could be excercised no matter who the talent is.
I mean, the guy is their PD. What's he do all day? Walk around the
building asking producers "when's that new John Laws promo gonna be
ready". He doesn't sound like he does his job.
But you haven't heard the whole story yet....

Joel Grealy

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
2UE is not the typical radio station you might be used to. The role of the
Programme Manager is vastly different from other music and talk stations.
You are dealing with the highest profile and most highly paid personalities
in the land with ego's to match.
It is a full time job to keep peace and order in this environment, more than
any other and this takes up most of the programmers time. The legalities of
broadcasting take a back seat to keeping a volatile environment on an even
keel.
I admire John's ability to keep the place together the way that he does.

Wayne Mac

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

Joel Grealy wrote in message <80noh8$k5e$1...@toto.tig.com.au>...

>2UE is not the typical radio station you might be used to. The role of the
>Programme Manager is vastly different from other music and talk stations.
>You are dealing with the highest profile and most highly paid personalities
>in the land with ego's to match.
>It is a full time job to keep peace and order in this environment, more
than
>any other and this takes up most of the programmers time. The legalities
of
>broadcasting take a back seat to keeping a volatile environment on an even
>keel.
>I admire John's ability to keep the place together the way that he does.

Spot on Joel,

And further to what you've said there - I'm sure many have thought that
Brenno might retire as a result of this fiasco. The man has had a superb
innings and contributed more than most to Australian radio. Although he's
known for having the patience of a Saint, he might just say "Well, that's it
folks, I've done my bit, it's all yours now. I mean you couldn't blame the
guy.

Cheers
Mac

cyber...@my-deja.com

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
OK Joel. I do realise all you've said. I get a little heated when I see
things like that. I know that they are the greatest and highest paid
talk personalities money can buy (pardon that), and I understant that
JB has quite a job of keeping the peace, but it still is a commercial
radio station and perhaps it's a problem when you have too many high
profile personalities. I still maintain that control can be excercised.
Everyone has to have a leash or else it would be chaos!
Does and other PD's out there have a high profiler at their station
(metro or regional0? How do you keep them under control?

=D

In article <80noh8$k5e$1...@toto.tig.com.au>,

"Joel Grealy" <jo...@tig.com.au> wrote:
> 2UE is not the typical radio station you might be used to. The role
of the
> Programme Manager is vastly different from other music and talk
stations.
> You are dealing with the highest profile and most highly paid
personalities
> in the land with ego's to match.
> It is a full time job to keep peace and order in this environment,
more than
> any other and this takes up most of the programmers time. The
legalities of
> broadcasting take a back seat to keeping a volatile environment on an
even
> keel.
> I admire John's ability to keep the place together the way that he
does.

Paul Dengate

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
> I still maintain that control can be excercised.
> Everyone has to have a leash or else it would be chaos!

It's very easy to say that when you're not in the hotseat. You are
talking about people who make the station and network millions of
dollars. If they walk, they could possibly take most of it with them.
Therefore if they speak, management listen - they'd be stupid not to.

Toni Maxwell

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

Joel Grealy wrote:

> <snip>It is a full time job to keep peace and order in this environment, more

> than
> any other and this takes up most of the programmers time. The legalities of
> broadcasting take a back seat to keeping a volatile environment on an even
> keel.
> I admire John's ability to keep the place together the way that he does.

Pardon my naivete, I've only been in the industry 3 years, but my understanding
of a program director was that it IS his or her responsibility, along with the
GM, to make sure those little "legalities of broadcasting" - like slander, or
contempt of court - are followed. Otherwise the station may be found in breach
of the Act and have their licence removed!

Any opinions?

Toni

cyber...@my-deja.com

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
In article <MPLANET.382fdd67i...@news.fl.net.au>,

Yeah Paul, I know. I'm not intent on putting the guy down (I know it
looks that way) but I'm not.
You gotta understand how it looks to those who aren't so close to the
source of the situation like those of you who work at 2UE and SKY are.
In fact, by the comment I made above, I meant to refer to the excellent
relationship that had obviously been maintained until the fiasco.
I know it didn't look like it, so sorry.
I think this flu is getting to me...
A-CHOO!!!

Jack McCaw

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
cyber...@my-deja.com wrote:
: > > Everyone has to have a leash or else it would be chaos!

: > It's very easy to say that when you're not in the hotseat. You are
: > talking about people who make the station and network millions of
: > dollars. If they walk, they could possibly take most of it with them.
: > Therefore if they speak, management listen - they'd be stupid not to.
: >
: Yeah Paul, I know. I'm not intent on putting the guy down (I know it

: looks that way) but I'm not.
: You gotta understand how it looks to those who aren't so close to the
: source of the situation like those of you who work at 2UE and SKY are.
: In fact, by the comment I made above, I meant to refer to the excellent
: relationship that had obviously been maintained until the fiasco.

The fact that these same multi-million dollar ego-driven
personalities are costing 2UE ratings points, and potentially the 2UE
licence sort means that the relationship isn't worth shit NOW. Every day
we here from the inquiry of more backstabbing.

The SMH is having a field day with this. The ABC love it,I love
it, 2GB couldn't have planned it better and 2UE is still trying to play
business as usual while advertisers shoot through.

Everyone should tell them to relax. I mean seriously, what the
hell is the ABA going to do to 2UE? Or Laws or Jones? Nothing. A good
airing, the inquiry will finish, and people will go back to work, being a
little bit more careful about how they do their deals, hoping to God they
don't get featured by Media Watch.

The ABA won't dare touch 'em - not like they are in a court of law
or anything.

Jack@!
-------

Kooki

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
> The SMH is having a field day with this. The ABC love it,I love
>it, 2GB couldn't have planned it better and 2UE is still trying to play
>business as usual while advertisers shoot through.

Wrong!!!
2GB couldn't plan their way out of a bag of horse crap!

cyber...@my-deja.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <80tp9b$cou$1...@gruvel.une.edu.au>,

jmc...@une.edu.au (Jack McCaw) wrote:
> The fact that these same multi-million dollar ego-driven
> personalities are costing 2UE ratings points, and potentially the 2UE
> licence sort means that the relationship isn't worth shit NOW. Every
day
> we here from the inquiry of more backstabbing.

What backstabbing?? All Laws said was he felt let down and Jonsey felt
vindacated or something. Where's the backstabbing? You make it sound
like WW2.

> The SMH is having a field day with this. The ABC love it,I love
> it, 2GB couldn't have planned it better and 2UE is still trying to
play
> business as usual while advertisers shoot through.

And they seem to be playing it "business as usual" pretty well by the
sound of it...

> Everyone should tell them to relax. I mean seriously, what the
> hell is the ABA going to do to 2UE? Or Laws or Jones? Nothing. A good
> airing, the inquiry will finish, and people will go back to work,
being a
> little bit more careful about how they do their deals, hoping to God
they
> don't get featured by Media Watch.

It'll probably be the same as usual. Only Lawsie won't approach the
Banks again..even tho that deal to me seemed pretty airtight. I was
more worried about the Quantas and Star City deals..he's always barking
some praise for them... The Bank thing was just a recorded segment
called the Whole story. Except for that surprise phone call from the
president of the ABA (bankers). That was rather funny...

> The ABA won't dare touch 'em - not like they are in a court of
law
> or anything.

They'll probably just force 'em to play aussie music and leave it at
that. Oops...sorry..

Jack McCaw

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Yeah, Lawsie the untouchable, the one they were all too scared to
tell "no" to seems to be in yet more trouble...

: It'll probably be the same as usual. Only Lawsie won't approach the

: Banks again..even tho that deal to me seemed pretty airtight. I was
: more worried about the Quantas and Star City deals..he's always barking
: some praise for them... The Bank thing was just a recorded segment
: called the Whole story. Except for that surprise phone call from the
: president of the ABA (bankers). That was rather funny...

: > The ABA won't dare touch 'em - not like they are in a court of
: law
: > or anything.

Hang on... seems it might end up being a court of law for
Lawsie... From the ABC news website we have;

Laws accused of breaching Jury Act

Radio broadcaster John Laws has been accused in a Sydney Court of
breaching the Jury Act by soliciting information from a former juror late
last year.

The 2UE morning presenter is not in court after electing to have the
matter go before a committal hearing.

The juror was visibly upset when in August last year she and 11 other
jurors acquitted two men of the murder of a computer store owner, shortly
before Christmas 1995.

The crown prosecutor said after a night agonising over the verdict, the
juror was contacted by the John Laws program.

She spoke with the 2UE morning presenter for about eight to 10 minutes on
air, which the prosecutor alleges constitutes a breach of the Jury Act.

Earlier, the magistrate refused Mr Laws' adjournment application made
because the broadcaster says he was under considerable pressure from the
so-called cash for comment inquiry before the Australian Broadcasting
Authority.

-- "The bracing excitement of an unknown, create-as-you-go
future"

Jack McCaw

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
2UE continues to be in the wars...

: Laws accused of breaching Jury Act

And now Stan is leaving 2UE...

A move in the air as shock jock quits 2UE
The Australian
STAN Zemanek has resigned from Sydney's 2UE to relaunch his Stan
Zemanek Cabaret Spectaculars and concentrate on his Stan Zemanek line
of coffee mugs, baseball caps, beach towels and bathrobes, he said
yesterday.
http://news.com.au/frame_loader.htm?/news_content/national_content/4324777.htm

Jack@!

cyber...@my-deja.com

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
In article <81co9s$a5j$1...@gruvel.une.edu.au>,

jmc...@une.edu.au (Jack McCaw) wrote:
> 2UE continues to be in the wars...
>
> : Laws accused of breaching Jury Act
>
> And now Stan is leaving 2UE...
>
> A move in the air as shock jock quits 2UE
> The Australian
> STAN Zemanek has resigned from Sydney's 2UE to relaunch his Stan
> Zemanek Cabaret Spectaculars and concentrate on his Stan Zemanek line
> of coffee mugs, baseball caps, beach towels and bathrobes, he said
> yesterday.

An interesting story. Not like anyone didn't really expect it. Only one
question and one that can be directed at the writers of the story above
and Stanley, why the hell would anyone buy a Stan Zemanek coffee mug,
beach towel, bath robe, or inflatable vibrating device or whatever he's
flogging if he has no radio show (ie: celebrity status and public
identity)?

Think about it...

Leigh Zaghet

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
> An interesting story. Not like anyone didn't really expect it. Only one
> question and one that can be directed at the writers of the story above
> and Stanley, why the hell would anyone buy a Stan Zemanek coffee mug,
> beach towel, bath robe, or inflatable vibrating device or whatever he's
> flogging if he has no radio show (ie: celebrity status and public
> identity)?
>
> Think about it...

There's still Beauty & the Beast, which from what i hear is going quite
well, so there's still a bit of celebrity status and public identity left in
stan yet....

Leigh Zaghet