First Day on Community Radio

Josh Withers

Feb 10, 2004, 6:11:49 PM2/10/04
I Don't recognise any of in here now, but a few years back i used to psot in
here, hoping that someone would giv eme little bits of info so i could learn
how.

Well tomorrow is my first day on community radio, 4CRM Mackay, very excited
and looking forward to stuffing up on air and learnign from my mistakes

And i was wndering if anyone had some tips for a newbie.

Tuned In

Feb 10, 2004, 10:29:14 PM2/10/04

Hey......well done!!!

Just be yourself....talk to the listeners like your talking to a
friend and just have fun....if your having fun...the listener will be
having fun!!!!!

Good Luck

Wombat Lover

Feb 11, 2004, 5:17:15 AM2/11/04
Always have your headphone levels up, so you can hear yourself.

I thought nothing was going to air on my first time, but I soon learned,
that everyone heard it

Also, try recording ya show, and have a laugh when its played back. and
learn where you could improve

--
From Robert | Wombat Lover | Melbourne | http://www.surfnetvic.cjb.net |

Arthur Stevens

Feb 11, 2004, 5:59:50 AM2/11/04
Have fun... don't worry about mistakes.

That's about it....

"Josh Withers" <jd...@impactyouth.org.au> wrote in message

BearCave

Feb 11, 2004, 9:00:08 AM2/11/04

"Josh Withers" wrote:

> I Don't recognise any of in here now, but a few years back i used to psot
in
> here, hoping that someone would giv eme little bits of info so i could
learn
> how.

Four years ago I was hosting the morning slot on a now defunct aspirant
called Kix FM, here in Melbourne. What I learnt most from the experience
was that you really know you're hosting a radio show once you're interacting
with the listeners. As much as possible, communicate with the listeners by
whatever means possible - phone, fax, email, sms. The listeners bring you
out of your shell because you listen to what they are saying and therefore
have less time to worry about how you sound on air.

Get your picture on the station web site along with some obscure information
about yourself that you are not likely to broadcast over the air. Stuff
like your favourite pizza, favourite band, what you do to earn money, what
you'd do if you had to spend $24 million in 24 hours. A community meeting I
attended tonight for local sporting clubs gave me this idea when a man
suggested all clubs should run a web site containing all the obscure
information that's not newsworthy for newspaper coverage. That's one of the
best uses of the net.....to help people get more information and background
about your program.

Two radio pros over the years also offered some good advice. I think it was
Garry Mac who told my class that if for some reason you suffer a mental
blank while on the air, for whatever reason, 'get outta there' - throw to a
music track or ad break and regather your thoughts.

The late Hal Todd once told me on his 3AK talkback session (about 1990) to
that's it's okay to step on toes, but not to stab people in the back. I
guess he was pointing out the fine line between being critical or comical
compared to saying something that could be treated as slander.

From Justin./

The Fella

Feb 11, 2004, 7:58:31 PM2/11/04
Ignore the old biddies who think they run the joint, cos most of the time
they know less than you!

Brian Goldsmith

Feb 11, 2004, 8:35:48 PM2/11/04

"The Fella" wrote

Ignore the old biddies who think they run the joint, cos most of the
time
they know less than you!

***** It is more likely that ,lack of knowledge notwithstanding,they DO
run the joint!!

Brian Goldsmith.

dudditz

Feb 12, 2004, 5:09:09 AM2/12/04
Let us know how it went :)

Rockrules

Feb 12, 2004, 6:18:49 AM2/12/04
"Josh Withers" <jd...@impactyouth.org.au> wrote in message news:<4029...@news.comindico.com.au>...

So how did you go. I bet it was a real buzz. I clearly remember my
first day on air (and the mistakes)!! It was a Saturday night country
request show on 4LG and at that stage my knowledge of county music was
pretty small.
Des

Josh Withers

Feb 12, 2004, 8:31:25 AM2/12/04
Thanks for everyone's support .. it was scary, but exciting, and very
intimidating, i didnt have a problem speaking , i only had a problem with
A) finding the words to use
B) speaking to fast
C) not sounding excited enough

i'm on again tomorrow 2-4pm so i'll give it shot 2 :)

just a question ,.. is there abook you can read or website you can go to
that gives you ideas on introductions e.g.:
this is josh on 4crm
or that was jsut michael hjackson with ..
so i can spice it up a bit, i found myself repeating them, souned boring to
me.

"Rockrules" <radio...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

BearCave

Feb 12, 2004, 9:54:04 AM2/12/04

"Josh Withers" wrote:

> just a question ,.. is there abook you can read or website you can go to
> that gives you ideas on introductions e.g.:
> this is josh on 4crm

Think you'll find the CBAA site very useful. But you need to be a member,
or at least have access to the web site through your station's membership.
The web site is at www.cbaa.org.au

Tim Gaynor

Feb 15, 2004, 1:08:24 AM2/15/04
Hi Bearcave,
I think it's a good thing to your own self on air,and not to try
imitating the 'Big Boys'too much.
Try and visualise who you might be talking to and talk 'to them' as if
they were in the room with you(The Studio,lol).In other words,talk to
the audience and not 'down'to them,if you get my drift.
I spent 12 years in Community radio,and learnt a lot,so,if you have
any other questions,you can email personally if you want,

73
Tim

Josh Withers

Feb 16, 2004, 4:28:31 AM2/16/04
i found being myself .. which i got to try on when i co-hosted the punk rock
show on friday nite ,, felt real good..and i feel more confident announcing
on the daytime/drive time slots now

"Tim Gaynor" <nr...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message