[VK5PAS] Moana Sands Conservation Park 5CP-136 and VKF-1061

1 view

VK5PAS via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Jul 2, 2017, 11:12:31 PM7/2/17

vk5pas

Moana Sands Conservation Park 5CP-136 and VKF-1061

https://vk5pas.org/2017/07/02/moana-sands-conservation-park-5cp-136-and-vkf-1061/

After packing up at Onkaparinga River Recreation Park, Marija and I headed
to our second park activation for Saturday 1st July 2017, the Moana Sands
Conservation Park 5CP-136 & VKFF-1061.  This was to be a unique park for us
as activators for both the World Wide Flora Fauna (WWFF) program, and the
VK5 National and Conservation Parks Award.

Moana Sands Conservation Park is located about 36 km south of Adelaide.
Map showing the location of the Moana Sands Conservation Park.  Map
courtesy of Location SA Map Viewer.

The Moana Sands Conservation Park is about22 ha (54 acres) in size and was
established on the 7th November 1985.  It was proclaimed under the National
Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 in 1985 for the purpose of conserving a
‘significant Aboriginal cultural heritage site associated with the
Kaurna people.

The parks coastal sand dunes are very important in the cultural traditions
of the Kaurna people who made their summer camp in the dunes next to Pedlar
Creek. Many archaeological artefacts, including burial sites, hearths and
shell middens some dating back more than 6000 years have been found where
the overlying sand has blown away.
Aerial view showing the park in the southern suburbs of Adelaide.  Image
courtesy of Google maps

Moana was originally farming land from 1841. In the 1850s a local landowner
lent his name to the beach and it became known as Dodds Beach.  In 1855,
when shipping was the primary means of cargo transport in the area, the
Nashwauk was wrecked on the beach near the Pedler Creek outlet.
Bricks recovered from the wreck of the Nashwauk.  Image c/o South
Australian Maritime Museum.

Due to an increased interest in tourism in the area, in 1927 the land was
subdivided by Lake Beach Estate Ltd who held a competition to name the new
town.  Mr C.H. Cave won the competition with Moana, which means blue water
in the Maori language.  The land was divided into blocks of land suitable
for holiday homes and wide streets were planned and laid out, but due to
the Great Depression in 1929 development of the area was slow.

In the 1950s Moana experienced renewed interest from tourism as the
residents of Adelaide enjoyed the freedom and mobility of car ownership
Moana was a pleasant 40 minute drive from Adelaide.

The area was recorded in the 1890s as “the greatest development of sand
dunes of  Gulf St. Vincent” boasting imposing dunes to 80 feet (25 metres);
but within 40 years human and animal impact denuded the dunes and erosion
demolished their magnificent stature.

The park is home to a large variety of birdlife including the Swamp harrier
and the rare Hooded Plover.

We set up on the beach just a little south of Peddler Creek.  We ran the
Yaesu FT-857d and the 80/40/20m linked dipole supported on the 7m
telescopic squid pole.
Aerial shot of the park showing our operating spot.  Image courtesy of
Location SA Map Viewer.

Despite it being a beautiful sunny afternoon, it was quite brisk, so there
were only about 3 or 4 other vehicles on the beach.

Marija started off the activation again, calling CQ on 7.140.  First in the
log was regular park hunter Geoff VK3SQ, followed by Mr. reliable Rick
VK4RF/VK4HA, and then Cliff VK2NP.  Within 7 minutes Marija had her 10
contacts in the log, qualifying the park for VKFF.  Contact number 10 was
Allen VK3ARH.  Marija logged a total of 15 stations, before the pile up got
the better of her and demanded that I take over on the mic.

My first station in the log was John VK2YW in Wagga Wagga, followed by
Peter VK2NEO and then Mike VK3ZMD.  Unfortunately a G station came up on
7.138, just 2 kc below me, and he was a good 5/7 signal and I experienced a
lot of bleedover.  So I decided it was just not worth competing with him
and I QSYd up to 7.144.

I logged a total of 54 stations on 40m, including some European DX, much to
my surprise.  Deme EA5IPC from Spain called me in amongst the VK pile up,
confirming that sometimes it is very worthwhile listening for stations
outside of VK.  You never know who is hearing you.  A few dozen QSOs later
I was called by Uwe DL2ND in Germany.  It was quite a thrill to work a bit
of DX on 40m from Europe.

I also logged a Park to Park contact with Hans VK6XN in the Greenmount
National Park VKFF-0218 who was a good 5/7 signal.  Marija also logged Hans.

I then moved to 14.310 on the 20m band where I logged a total of 7 stations
from Hawaii, Italy, Norway, VK2, VK6, and France.  It has been quite slim
pickings in recent times with DX on 20m, so it was nice to at least log a
handful of overseas stations.  I also logged Hans VK6XN/p on a second band
from the Greenmount NP.

I then headed over to 3.610 on the 80m band and started calling CQ on
3.610.  Andrew VK2UH answered my call and reported that my signal was
breaking up.  My VSWR was also a little high, but despite checking the BNC
connection and the connections in the linked dipole, all appeared
okay.  But I decided not to push my luck, and logged just 3 further
stations: John VK5BJE, Terry VK5ATN, and Adrian VK5FANA.  Bill VK4FW tried,
but we could quite make a valid contact.

It was now approaching 5.00 p.m. local time and it was time to pack up and
head home.  Marija and I had both qualified the park for VKFF, and I had
qualified the park for WWFF.  Together we had 82 QSOs in the log.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3SQ
VK4RF
VK4HA
VK2NP
VK3MH/m
Vk7QP
VK5BJE
VK3FOTO/m
VK4AAC/p
VK3ARH
VK3GQ
VK6BSA/m
VK2IO
VK7CW
VK5HS
VK6XN/p (Greenmount National Park VKFF-0218)
VK4NH

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK2YW
VK2NEO
VK3ZMD
VK4AAC/p
VK5BJE
VK2XXM
VK3ANL
VK3FT
VK5HS
VK2QK
VK3FTRI
VK7DIK
VK4HNS
VK3NCR
VK2KYO
VK5GJ
VK2JDR
VK4PDX
VK6MAC
VK3KIM/m
VK3FPHG
VK3ZPF
EA5IPC
VK3BBB
VK2HHA
VK7DW
VK2VRC
VK4FMAX
VK4TJ
VK4GSF
VK6HRC
VK2GPT
VK2VX
VK2NP
VK3FSPG
VK3MPR
VK3AWG
VK7FGRA
VK5KLV
VK4FE
VK2IO
VK3HSB
VK2NWB
VK4NH
VK6XN/p (Greenmount National Park VKFF-0218)
VK5FANA
VK3BUS
VK3SQ
VK7HCK
VK4QQ
VK3ZQ
VK7AU
DL2ND
VK3TXB

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

KH6EB
IK4GRO
LB0OG
VK2SR
VK6RC/m
VK6XN/p (Greenmount National Park VKFF-0218)
F5PAU

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK2UH
VK5BJE
VK5ATN
VK5FANA