Nothing quite like a nasty pandemic to precisely demonstrate the failures of neo-liberal capitalism

*Ördög*

Jan 16, 2022, 4:39:13 PMJan 16
*Economics ripe for a post-pandemic shake up as COVID kills old
assumptions*
/Analysis by business reporter Michael Janda, ABC News, Australia/
<https://tinyurl.com/y96julxh>

"At it's heart, economics is fundamentally the social science of
distribution — who gets what.
And, right now, the pandemic has thrown a spanner into the works: no-one,
or at least, very few people, are able to get everything they want or, in
many cases, even need.

Fresh food shelves have been stripped bare in thousands of stores around
the country, rapid antigen tests can't be found for love nor money and
even the ubiquitous painkiller paracetamol is in short supply.

In some cases, this is due mainly to extraordinary demand, both genuine
need and panic-induced, but in others, it's a lack of supply.
While these supply chain disruptions are temporary, they have exposed a
greater truth about some of the key failings of orthodox economics and
the policies and practices based on it, as have other events in the
pandemic.

*Which workers are really essential?*

Who do we miss most when they don't turn up to work?
If I couldn't work from home and write this column, would it
inconvenience you in the slightest?
If your employer's CEO was out of action for a fortnight, would it affect
your work?

Federal parliament hasn't sat for a month and a half and won't sit again
until the second week of February. How many of us even noticed?

On the other hand, if your garbage collection doesn't turn up this week
and your bin is overflowing, it'll certainly catch your attention.
When you turn up to the supermarket to buy fresh produce for dinner and
the shelves are bare, it's more than a minor annoyance.
If your toddler can't go to childcare, you'll definitely notice.

As the Centre for Future Work's Jim Stanford pointed out last week, COVID
has shown again and again that the basis of a healthy economy is healthy
humans.
But it has also reminded those of us paying attention that our most
essential workers also happen to be some of our lowest paid, while our
(arguably) less essential workers are often paid far more. ..."

~~~~

As long as consumerism remains unaffected, neo-liberal capitalism can
push the concept of "profits above all else" to its absolute limits, more
often than not catering only for the benefits of a tiny minority sitting
at the top of the "food chain". This minority rules everything from
politics to economics and down to all the prevalent social structures.
But what happens when "deus ex machina" this shaky capitalist house of
cards collapses, be it due to a pandemic, or unavoidable catastrophic
climate change, or some other phenomenon out of the direct control of the
ruling elite?

--
Ördög - 👹️ - The newsgroup Devil at your service.

Want to see the most spiteful nasties of Australian politics?
Here I show you:

Just look no farther than the Liberal Party of Australia and
its dumb coalition partner:

This is their fundamental ideology (if one can call it that):
Capitalist neo-liberal/libertarian lies and alternate reality,
Lack of compassion for the already downtrodden,
Sociopathic greed & envy,
Endemic nepotistic and plutocratic corruption,
Vicious hunger for power and "born to rule mentality",
Xtian fundamentalism
Never ending misogyny & homophobia
Undeniable Anglo-Celtic racism and supremacy,
Unbridled hate for the underclasses,
Unrelenting vengeance seeking against political opponents...

Novax Jokebit

Jan 16, 2022, 7:36:51 PMJan 16
On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:39:11 GMT, *Ördög* posted:-

// Rubbish auto snipped to keep readers sane and safe from losing
Hungarian Gypsy armchair Commie wog//

FOAD, wog.

Ördög, that LNP Jonzie troll buster

Jan 16, 2022, 8:02:17 PMJan 16
Individual.net troll, j4js11...@mid.individual.net, posing as Novax
Jokebit

W A R N I N G ! TROLL ALERT!

The verbal vomit reply to my OP was written by the serial nymshitter and
toxic racist creep LNP Johnny!

Just as always:
FLUSH and FUMIGATE that troll.

Killfile adjusted as required!

🤮️ 🖕️ ☠️ 👎️ 😱️ 👹️

Fran

Jan 16, 2022, 8:43:13 PMJan 16
Just form a solely defence strategic view point we need change. On tht
alone without other issues, we're screwed if there is ever a war given
how we no longer have even a halfway decent manufacturing industry here.

Arindam Banerjee

Jan 17, 2022, 11:58:40 PMJan 17
And zero industrial research.

Enjoy the bliss of being a stupid country, where chaps like me are unemployable.

When our Telstra labs were shut down to pay the salaries of Sol and Co., some 25 million per annum saved thus, along with my redundant colleagues I did not think that it was a good idea.
My skills in math modelling for improving quality of service in telecom would have been useful in this pandemic. As things are, no one around is bright enough to have a clue about what I am talking.

I along with similar industrial researchers as opposed to academics and various talkative smartypants would have helped to save billions of dollars, many lives and much extraordinary frustration with superior math modelling involving comprehensive simulation techniques, that are derived from the basics, built from scratch, make no assumptions, with plenty of what-ifs involving the data. I did such work for 12 years, starting with CCS signalling and call centre networks, then moving on to other areas where wait times are critical issues. There is now no question that phones do work!

The problem I had with the management was that wits were required for such programming, so they wanted an AI alternative for my work which was just not possible. Fundamental issue for the conflict is my stand that the computer is a tool for smart people, not a rigid boss for the stupid people.

Will work, the strategy of serene and sublime stupidity, so long as imports are possible with primary goods exports.

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee

Rod Speed

Jan 18, 2022, 6:23:00 PMJan 18
Arindam Banerjee <banerjee...@gmail.com> wrote
That a lie with the automation of the iron ore mining,
mining in general etc etc etc.

> Enjoy the bliss of being a stupid country, where chaps like me are
> unemployable.

You are unemployable because you are a fool that stupidly
believes that the moon landing was faked and 9/11 too.

> When our Telstra labs were shut down to pay the salaries of Sol and Co.,
> some 25 million per annum saved thus, along with my redundant colleagues
> I did not think that it was a good idea.
> My skills in math modelling for improving quality of service in telecom
> would have been useful in this pandemic.

Bullshit.

> As things are, no one around is bright enoughto have a clue about what
> I am talking.

Everyone noticed you dont have a fucking clue.