Xenophobes lament

David Moss

Apr 24, 2009, 10:35:02 PM4/24/09
At the Anzac Day ceremony this morning the second verse of our National
Anthem was sung, which contains:

"For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair."

I wonder, did the neo-Nazis, far right nationalists and xenophobes in the
ng sing it today?

--
David Moss
Personal opinion only

james

Apr 24, 2009, 11:13:03 PM4/24/09

"David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message

> At the Anzac Day ceremony this morning the second verse of our National
> Anthem was sung, which contains:
>
> "For those who've come across the seas
> We've boundless plains to share;
> With courage let us all combine
> To Advance Australia Fair."
>
> I wonder, did the neo-Nazis, far right nationalists and xenophobes in the
> ng sing it today?

I wonder how much this parade cost taxpayers in financial crisis "we have to
have".

Personally, I prefer other well known song to be Australian anthem, so I
never bothered to learn current archaic verses. I am Australian says more
than...what is the name of the current one?

I wish good health to old diggers - there are some decent people there - but
ANZAC day for me, and to prevent your stupidity exposure, yes I am a war
veteran, is charade of gamblers and drunkards from RSL.

And now they are including belly dancers, jonglers, con artists,
chimneysweeps etc. while there are less and less spectators and supporters
every year.

My TV is off today and I will light few candles and say some prayers for
victims of all wars... including 7 civilian members of my family slaughtered
by Royal Serbian Chetniks in my old country. Other relatives and friends of
mine (estimated more than 500 are living around Australia) will probably do
the same. We would like to forget wars and see that costly stupid death cult
stopped.

Just my 2 cents.

David Moss

Apr 24, 2009, 11:30:10 PM4/24/09
David Moss <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in

Hey Sunny, I know you are going to read this and you probably know the
answer:

I met a bloke today with a row of medals. (Not unusual on Anzac day)
Above them he had a pin that depicted a combat knife, point up, surrounded
by a circle of leaves. Any idea what it was for?

Sunny

Apr 24, 2009, 11:47:14 PM4/24/09

> David Moss <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in
>
> Hey Sunny, I know you are going to read this and you probably know the
> answer:
>
> I met a bloke today with a row of medals. (Not unusual on Anzac day)
> Above them he had a pin that depicted a combat knife, point up,
> surrounded
> by a circle of leaves. Any idea what it was for?

Combat Infantry Badge
(awarded for employment as an Infantryman, on operations, for more than 28
days)

David Moss

Apr 25, 2009, 12:27:13 AM4/25/09
"Sunny" <womba...@gmail.com> wrote in

Much appreciated.
Thanks Sunny.

Sir Kevin Rudd

Apr 25, 2009, 4:51:43 AM4/25/09

"David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message

> At the Anzac Day ceremony this morning the second verse of our National
> Anthem was sung, which contains:
>
> "For those who've come across the seas
> We've boundless plains to share;
> With courage let us all combine
> To Advance Australia Fair."
>
> I wonder, did the neo-Nazis, far right nationalists and xenophobes in the
> ng sing it today?

Isn't it true though that you make money from the high house prices caused
by the large scale immigration we are now seeing?

Where do you think the water is going to come from BTW?

Every other country is already being fucked by over population, why make
Australia join the club when we could enjoy a flat-line population growth
rate?

David Moss

Apr 25, 2009, 8:40:55 AM4/25/09
"Sir Kevin Rudd" <nore...@noreply.com> wrote in

> "David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message
>> At the Anzac Day ceremony this morning the second verse of our
>> National Anthem was sung, which contains:
>>
>> "For those who've come across the seas
>> We've boundless plains to share;
>> With courage let us all combine
>> To Advance Australia Fair."
>>
>> I wonder, did the neo-Nazis, far right nationalists and xenophobes in
>> the ng sing it today?
>
> Isn't it true though that you make money from the high house prices
> caused by the large scale immigration we are now seeing?

I do indeed. I doubt its fueled by immigration though. Without
immigration we would have negative population growth and insufficient
skills to drive the economy.

> Where do you think the water is going to come from BTW?

In my case from the sky. When the drought was on I did have to buy
truckloads of water I do admit, but I pair rather a lot of money for it.

> Every other country is already being fucked by over population, why
> make Australia join the club when we could enjoy a flat-line
> population growth rate?

Negative. Apparently many Australians are too lazy to breed. I've done my
bit though. Hopefully there will be enough of them to look after me when
I'm too old to pull my own weight.

regn.pickford

Apr 25, 2009, 2:23:26 PM4/25/09

"David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message
> At the Anzac Day ceremony this morning the second verse of our National
> Anthem was sung, which contains:
>
> "For those who've come across the seas
> We've boundless plains to share;
> With courage let us all combine
> To Advance Australia Fair."
>
> I wonder, did the neo-Nazis, far right nationalists and xenophobes in the
> ng sing it today?

http://www.hamilton.net.au/advance/lyrics.html

[qs]

While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,
Who come our lot to share,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
To guard our native strand;
Brittannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide ocean's roll,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains the let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"
[qf]

I'm not sure how your neo nasties, xenofobes
or nationalists take it but from what I see the author
would have likely supported the White Australia Policy.

My personal preferance is for Waltzing Matilda.

B J Foster

Apr 25, 2009, 4:29:36 PM4/25/09

'fair' comment.

David Moss

Apr 25, 2009, 6:09:49 PM4/25/09
"regn.pickford" <re...@mysoul.cop.au> wrote in

You are quoting the original version of Advance Australia Fair rather
than the national anthem.

Here's the official version that was sung yesterday at ANZAC Day
ceremonies throughout Australia:

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR
Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;

For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

regn.pickford

Apr 25, 2009, 7:05:34 PM4/25/09

"David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message

absolutely correct.

The original does put the reference of

[qs]

For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair

[qf]

into context.

It would be appropriate to call it
a "multiculturalist's lament"

David Moss

Apr 25, 2009, 7:22:04 PM4/25/09
"regn.pickford" <re...@mysoul.cop.au> wrote in

Indeed. Most Australians do not know the original contained:

***
When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Brittannia rules the wave!"

In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"

***

God save the Queen!

regn.pickford

Apr 25, 2009, 7:50:21 PM4/25/09

"David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message
Yeehaa.
a Republican's Lament to boot.
Excellent choice but I still prefer Waltzing Matilda.

Sir Kevin Rudd

Apr 25, 2009, 10:01:28 PM4/25/09

"David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message

I said zero population growth, in other words a controlled immigration
program that gives Australia a roughly flatline population growth.

Recent projections have Australia's population at 50 Mill by 2050, which in
my view is insane.

I would rather see this number around the 25 Million mark at most. The way
Australia now has 180,000 new immigrants every year, I find this hard to
achieve.

I also think the claim "Australia has an aging population" is bullshit as
well. YES, there are more older people, but people are WORKING LONGER as
well so the actual Working Vs Retired number will change very little in my
view. It seems to be an old idea that as soon as you hit 50 you jump off the
perch, it does not correctly take into consideration the huge surge in both
health and life expectancy. Most people are now working until about age 65.

David Moss

Apr 25, 2009, 10:40:27 PM4/25/09
"Sir Kevin Rudd" <nore...@noreply.com> wrote in

I agree. ZPG is the way to go.
From a socially responsible perspective the best way to achieve this is
by encouraging Australians to breed, and providing the support and
education needed to deliver the required skills to the new generation.

Importing skills from overseas is basically stealing the human resources
investment of developing countries. It is far more efficient to leave
skilled people in developing countries than to bring them here and send
back cash as development aid.

> I also think the claim "Australia has an aging population" is bullshit
> as well. YES, there are more older people, but people are WORKING
> LONGER as well so the actual Working Vs Retired number will change
> very little in my view. It seems to be an old idea that as soon as you
> hit 50 you jump off the perch, it does not correctly take into
> consideration the huge surge in both health and life expectancy. Most
> people are now working until about age 65.

"The number of Australians aged 65 and over is expected to increase
rapidly, from around 2.5 million in 2002 to 6.2 million in 2042. That is,
from around 13 per cent of the population to around 25 per cent. For
Australians aged 85 and over, the growth is even more rapid, from around
300,000 in 2002 to 1.1 million in 2042 (Chart A2).

At the same time, growth in the number of people of workforce age is
expected to fall from around 1.2 per cent per annum over the last decade
to almost zero in forty years’ time. In 2002 there were more than five
people of working age to support every person aged over 65. By 2042,
there will only be 2.5 people of working age supporting each person aged
over 65."
(http://demographics.treasury.gov.au/content/
_download/australias_demographic_challenges/html/adc-04.asp)

Doug Jewell

Apr 26, 2009, 12:35:52 AM4/26/09
regn.pickford wrote:

>> Indeed. Most Australians do not know the original contained:
>>
>> ***
>> When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
>> To trace wide oceans o'er,
>> True British courage bore him on,
>> Till he landed on our shore.
>> Then here he raised Old England's flag,
>> The standard of the brave;
>> With all her faults we love her still,
>> "Brittannia rules the wave!"
>> In joyful strains then let us sing
>> "Advance Australia fair!"
>> ***
>>
>> God save the Queen!
>>
> Yeehaa.
> a Republican's Lament to boot.
> Excellent choice but I still prefer Waltzing Matilda.

A song about a sheep thief who tops himself? The tune is
alright but the lyrics are hardly national anthem material.

Although when they sing it at the Bledisloe cup after the
kiwi's have done that haka, it is very appropriate. What
better way to strike fear into the hearts of the kiwi's than
sing a song about sheep theft.

Personally, I grew up with the national anthem being "God
Save the Queen", and never saw a reason to change.

regn.pickford

Apr 26, 2009, 2:31:17 AM4/26/09

"Doug Jewell" <a...@and.maybe.ill.tell.you> wrote in message

> regn.pickford wrote:
>
>>> Indeed. Most Australians do not know the original contained:
>>>
>>> ***
>>> When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
>>> To trace wide oceans o'er,
>>> True British courage bore him on,
>>> Till he landed on our shore.
>>> Then here he raised Old England's flag,
>>> The standard of the brave;
>>> With all her faults we love her still,
>>> "Brittannia rules the wave!"
>>> In joyful strains then let us sing
>>> "Advance Australia fair!"
>>> ***
>>>
>>> God save the Queen!
>>>
>> Yeehaa.
>> a Republican's Lament to boot.
>> Excellent choice but I still prefer Waltzing Matilda.

> A song about a sheep thief who tops himself? The tune is alright but the
> lyrics are hardly national anthem material.

outnumbered, outgunned, even charged with a questionable `crime`
the swaggy refused to surrender.
I believe sheep can or could be killed and eaten in need
as long as you left the hide on a fence.The sheep involved
was likely a feral or wild sheep the Squatter had doubtfull
ownership of. .

> Although when they sing it at the Bledisloe cup after the kiwi's have done
> that haka, it is very appropriate. What better way to strike fear into the
> hearts of the kiwi's than sing a song about sheep theft.

N.Z. Where men are men and sheep are nervous

> Personally, I grew up with the national anthem being "God Save the Queen",
> and never saw a reason to change.

We needed something different from Pommy land to
play at the Olympics. At least everyone knew the words to
God Save the Queen, not like nowadays.

Sir Kevin Rudd

Apr 26, 2009, 4:30:17 AM4/26/09

"David Moss" <q032...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message

"Working Age"? Is that by todays age applied to future generations?

By 2042 I wouldn't be surprised if the average aussie lifespan was 100 years
what with new stem-cell technology, in which case the numbers incorrectly
assume once again that people can only work to an age acceptable today.

It's incorrectly assumed as well that an "aged" population is bad. You have
to remember that for the first 16 years of your life you are learning to
wipe your arse, and become a working part of society. If most of the
population was all under 16, we'd be more fucked then an "aged, experienced"
generation I would think. At least the army would have lots of recruits
though I guess.

The belief that a 60 year old of 2009 will be the same as a 60 year old in
2050 in my view distorts the reality that extended life spans and health
technology have. 60 year olds of 2050 may well be as fit and healthy as 40
year olds of today. Assuming of course people stop eating all this KFC and
McDonalds crap.

David Moss

Apr 26, 2009, 5:16:03 AM4/26/09
"Sir Kevin Rudd" <nore...@noreply.com> wrote in

You are correct about the <16s, one of the major difficulties in
developing countries is that more than half the population are children.

We are going to have the opposite problem soon.

Sure stem cell tech *might* solve ther problem, or delay it a few years,
but a wise man hopes for the best and plans for the worst.