RFD: aus.students.news moderated (Newsgroup Creation Announcement)

Aust Students

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
moderated group aus.students.news

Newsgroups line:
aus.students.news Online student newspaper. (Moderated)

This is a formal Request for Discussion (RFD) for the creation of
a worldwide moderated Usenet newsgroup aus.students.news.
Procedural details are below. The proponent of aus.students.news
is the Australian Union of Students, a voluntary student
association that supports family values and the free enterprise
system, and that seeks to encourage students to become more
employable. Further information about the proponent is given at:

http://www.powerup.com.au/~union

RATIONALE: aus.students.news

Our proposed newsgroup "aus.students.news" is needed because at
present there is no newsgroup for Australian university students
and TAFE students. The group aus.students is officially for
school students, although many university students post
off-the-topic articles. Some students would see the heading
"Going to school in Australia", think "Boring!", and not
subscribe to aus. students.

The proposed newsgroup will be moderated by the Australian Union
of Students. People wanting to contribute articles, letters to
editor, etc, will email these to the Union, where the editors
will post the articles to the newsgroup. There will be an article
in the newsgroup with the subject "How to Contribute Articles to
this Newsgroup", which will give the email addresses to send
articles to. There may be several email addresses, for example,
one for sports articles, one for news reports, one for feature
articles, etc. There may be more than one editor. We would be
interested to hear from people wanting to become editors.

The newsgroup needs to be moderated so that as many students as
possible can subscribe to it. Many parents have censorship
software installed on their pcs, to stop the students in their
family accessing deviant material. This means these students
would not be able to access aus.students. Since aus.students.news
will be moderated, and will not allow deviant material, the
companies making censorship software will programme their software
to allow access to aus.students.news.

To ensure the viability of aus.students.news, the Australian Union
of Students will import articles from other newsgroups.
Our editors will scour thousands of newsgroups for interesting
articles, saving you from having to do this yourself. The best
articles will invariably appear in aus.students.news, making it
the most popular Australian newsgroup right from the word go.

CHARTER: aus.students.news

Introduction
------------

The name of this newsgroup is "aus.students.news". This is a
newsgroup for articles of interest to Australian university and
TAFE students, Australian apprentices and trainees, Australian
school students in Year 10, Year 11 and Year 12, and students
from other countries studying in Australia. Anyone at all may
contribute articles to this newsgroup. Contributions should
not be posted to the newsgroup, but should be sent to the email
addresses mentioned in an article appearing in this newsgroup
with the subject "How to Contribute Articles to this Newsgroup".

What is "on the topic"
----------------------

The following types of articles will be acceptable as long as
they are not "off the topic":

* Articles that you would expect to see
in a student newspaper

* Articles that you would expect to see
in a school magazine

* Articles that you would expect to see
in a weekly news magazine

* Reports that you would expect to hear
on radio and television news

* Advertising from students, companies
and non-profit organisations

* Views we don't agree with, from people
we don't approve of - even from the
National Union of Students Inc.

What is "off the topic"
-----------------------

The following types of articles will not be published in this
newsgroup for obvious reasons:

* Articles in languages other than English
and Australian Aboriginal languages.

* Articles that are uninteresting to
Australian students compared to other
articles that have been sent in.
This can vary from week to week,
and what one week is comparitively
uninteresting could the next week be
interesting enough.

* Articles containing false information.

* Articles containing "mind-viruses".
A "mind-virus" is like a computer virus
- see the definition below.

Mind-Viruses
------------

A "mind-virus" is similar to a computer virus. Just as a
computer virus is information that, if fed into your computer,
will cause it to malfunction, so a "mind-virus" is information
that, if fed into your brain, will cause your brain to function
less well than you would like. Just as Aids is worse than the
common cold, so some "mind-viruses" are worse than others.
The following are "mind-viruses", and so are "off the topic",
and will not be published:

* Marxist propaganda

* "Politically Correct" propaganda
(see definition below)

* Gay propaganda

* Bad language

The following are not "mind-viruses", but we might not publish
them if they are too uninteresting:

* Capitalist propaganda

* Christian propaganda

Politically Correct Propaganda
------------------------------

"Political Correctness" is the official ideology of the
Establishment in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Britain.
"Political Correctness" is often mistakenly confused with
Christianity. More people have died as a result of "Political
Correctness" than have died as a result of Nazism, so "Political
Correctness" is somewhere in between Nazism and Marxism as a
threat to humanity.

An article is "politically correct" if it attacks people who
support traditional values, for example, calling for them to be
sacked, or to be banned from expressing their views.
If an article opposes traditional values, without attacking
people who support traditional values, it will be regarded as
acceptable, and we will consider allowing it in this newsgroup,
even if we disagree with it.

The Australian Union of Students is preparing a Political
Correctness Home Page on the World Wide Web. This will be
accessable via the Australian Union of Students Home Page and
our Main Menu. The page will explain how "Political Correctness"
was invented by accident by the British Government, and why it
is garbage. If you are in doubt as to whether your article is
"politically correct", check out this page.

Editing of Articles
-------------------

The Australian Union of Students may make changes to articles
contributed for publication in this newsgroup, as long as the
changes do not, in the Union's opinion, misrepresent the views
of the author. These changes may include changes to spelling,
changes to style, the removal of bad language, the removal of
defamatory material, and the removal of uninteresting passages,
amongst other things. An article so edited may be posted to the
newsgroup in the author's name, without any indication that it
has been edited. The editors are not English teachers, and have
better things to do than correcting articles, so please make sure
your articles are in a form where they can be posted to the
newsgroup without changes.

The Union may also change the subject heading of articles, and
may merge articles together. For example, the Union may merge
all classified advertisements into one page and post this as an
article called "Classified Ads". Similarly, we may merge
together a number of articles, together with the editors' replies,
and post this as an article called "Letters to the Editor".
The Union may place advertisements within articles. For example,
halfway down your short story there might appear an advertisement
for an environmental group. If advertisements can appear in
magazines on the same pages as articles without distracting the
reader, then it should work in Usenet News.

Crossposting
------------

Crossposting to aus.students.news is allowed and encouraged.
For example, if you post an article to aus.bushwalking, by all
means crosspost it to aus.students.news.

--------------

Classified advertisements from students will be published free of
charge. The Union reserves the right, at some time in the distant
future, to publish only advertisements sent in by members of the
Australian Union of Students - another good reason to join the
Union. Advertising from non-profit organisations that the Union
approves of will be published free of charge.

Advertising from companies will be published if an advertiser
makes a donation to an acceptable charity. The initial charity
that will be approved for this purpose will be Care Australia.
Advertisers should check with the Union to find out which charity
is approved at any given time. The amount of the donation will be
the amount we would be charging if we were selling the advertising
space on a commercial basis. We suggest that advertisements
appear in the middle of articles, or at the end of articles, but
we are open to suggestions from advertisers as to how their goods
and services may best be promoted.

Copyright
---------

When the author of an article submits an article to the
Australian Union of Students for publication in this newsgroup,
or causes an article to be submitted, the author licences the
Union, in consideration of the Union allowing the article to
appear in this newsgroup to, from time to time, reproduce the
article in any medium, including in newspapers and magazines,
either in the form submitted by the author, or in the form as
amended by the Union, and to, from time to time, use the article
as a basis for any other material, such as plays, films, or radio
or television programmes, on condition only that the Union gives
the author credit for originating the article.

Disclaimer
----------

While the Australian Union of Students takes every care to ensure
that articles in this newsgroup do not contain untrue material,
illegal material, or bad advice, the Union cannot accept
responsibility for any such material inadvertently appearing.
The responsibility for articles rests with authors, and the
Union's role is only to cull out the worst excesses.
Should such material inadvertently appear, please bring this
immediately to the Union's attention, and the Union will publish
a correction, and exercise more care in allowing material from
the author concerned in future.

END CHARTER.

MODERATOR INFO: aus.students.news

Moderator: Australian Union of Students <edi...@students.org.au>

For information about the moderator, see the Australian Union
of Students Home Page at:

http://www.powerup.com.au/~union

END MODERATOR INFO.

PROCEDURE:

This "Request for Discussion" attempts to comply fully with the
FAQ, "Creating a New Newsgroup in the aus Hierarchy", by
Phil Herring <rev...@uow.edu.au>. A copy of this FAQ is shown
at:
http://www.ozemail..com.au/~revdoc/aus_faq

The discussion will continue for a minimum of 21 days, during
which time people may post messages pointing out any potential
problems with the proposed newsgroup. After the conclusion of
the discussion, unless good cause is shown, a control message
will be issued setting up the newsgroup.

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to aus.net.news.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:

aus.net.news, aus.general, aus.students, aus.students.overseas

-
Proponent: Australian Union of Students <un...@powerup.com.au>

Australian Union of Students
P.O. Box 123 Email address:
Roma Street un...@powerup.com.au
BRISBANE Qld. 4003

STEPHANIE GREAVES

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

errr ... you may be asking for decent discussion and stuff (??), but I
just have to ask, _is this for real_?????

You are kidding about stuff like no PC, aren't you?? It sounds deadly
serious, about as much fun as a friday night maths lecture. You would
have to spend a week understanding the charter and then referring back to
it with all those do's & don'ts. And no 'deviant material'??

I'm going to have to read it again, I must be missing the joke here ...
Steph.

David Bromage

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

[Followups directed to aus.net.news where they belong]

Aust Students (un...@powerup.com.au) wrote:
>To ensure the viability of aus.students.news, the Australian Union
>of Students will import articles from other newsgroups.
>Our editors will scour thousands of newsgroups for interesting
>articles, saving you from having to do this yourself.

<sarcasm> That is going to do a lot to conserve bandwidth! </sarcasm>

>The name of this newsgroup is "aus.students.news". This is a
>newsgroup for articles of interest to Australian university and
>TAFE students, Australian apprentices and trainees, Australian
>school students in Year 10, Year 11 and Year 12, and students
>from other countries studying in Australia.

The newsgroups aus.students and aus.students.overseas already cater for
these topics. Another newsgroup duplicating these and "thousands of
[other] newsgroups" is just a waste of bandwidth.

>Classified advertisements from students will be published free of
>charge.

This is already covered by aus.ads.forsale

>When the author of an article submits an article to the
>Australian Union of Students for publication in this newsgroup,
>or causes an article to be submitted, the author licences the
>Union, in consideration of the Union allowing the article to
>appear in this newsgroup to, from time to time, reproduce the
>article in any medium, including in newspapers and magazines,
>either in the form submitted by the author, or in the form as
>amended by the Union, and to, from time to time, use the article
>as a basis for any other material, such as plays, films, or radio
>or television programmes, on condition only that the Union gives
>the author credit for originating the article.

You better check copyright laws and treaties before making claims like
this.

>While the Australian Union of Students takes every care to ensure
>that articles in this newsgroup do not contain untrue material,
>illegal material, or bad advice, the Union cannot accept
>responsibility for any such material inadvertently appearing.
>The responsibility for articles rests with authors,

Even when the Union has altered an article to its satisfaction?

>MODERATOR INFO: aus.students.news
>
>Moderator: Australian Union of Students <edi...@students.org.au>

Would you care to actually name the moderator?

WOMBAT!

Cheers
David

David Bromage dbro...@metz.une.edu.au
Department of Chemistry http://metz.une.edu.au/~dbromage
University of New England "On the Internet people who are normally
Armidale, NSW 2351 under rocks are out there and in your
Australia face" - Douglas Adams
Unsolicited advertising will be proofread at the cost of US$500/message

Scot

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

<aus.general snipped>

Dear Aust. Students,

Before trying to propose what I must say is one of the most ill-thought
out group proposals in a long while, you should try learning more about
the subject matter of Usenet; then you might know it's not appreciated by
its inhabitants to cross-post between aus.general and any other newsgroup.
The purpose of the newsgroup means, 'no other topic known' if you can
cross-post it, it DOES have a group in which it's more appropriate, and
shouldn't be in aus.general.

But onto specifics ...

un...@powerup.com.au (Aust Students) writes:

>* Articles that you would expect to see
> in a student newspaper

>* Views we don't agree with, from people
> we don't approve of - even from the
> National Union of Students Inc.

I group these two together because they are important to note later. This
next one is quite curious;

>* Reports that you would expect to hear
> on radio and television news

Meaning: reflecting the same tired prejudices as commerical television? A
liking for confrontationalist/sensationalist style?

>What is "off the topic"
>-----------------------

>The following types of articles will not be published in this
>newsgroup for obvious reasons:

'Obvious' to whom?

>* Articles containing false information.

>* Articles containing "mind-viruses".
> A "mind-virus" is like a computer virus
> - see the definition below.

You mean a "meme". Anything can be a "meme". "Coca-cola is it!" is a
meme. So every idea is banned? No?

So what you mean is that certain morally bad or undesirable or "deviant"
ideas, I presume because you DON'T AGREE with them (see point above), and
further, you believe these are somewhow BAD for people (not "family
orientated" enough). Certainly THIS sort of material is the type of
material that one sees in Student Newspapers, then perhaps the crucial
word in all of what IS acceptable is the word "expect" - by "you expect"
you seem to mean "-I- expect", whoever the -I- is of the (still
impersonal) Aust. Union of Students.

So in effect your newsgroup is "what the AUS thinks students want to read"
- what has effectively passed YOUR "decency filter", what is not
"deviant", morally repungent to yourselves only. Its not a general purpose
"news" group any student or student group can use - unless they conform
your idea of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. "PC", or right-thinking, or morally
upstanding or whatever you want to call this disease (yes; MEME even)
comes from both ends of the spectrum, Mr or Ms AUS, and both a equally
stupid, illogical, and downright appaling.

A better name for this group is likely to be aus.org.A-U-S or similar.
Then you can do what you want I suspect, and noone will care, as long as
you're not misrepresenting yourselves as somehow reflecting a SPECTRUM of
opinion and ideas or being a broad general discussion group.

>Mind-Viruses
>------------

>* Marxist propaganda

>* "Politically Correct" propaganda
> (see definition below)

>* Gay propaganda

>* Bad language

>The following are not "mind-viruses", but we might not publish
>them if they are too uninteresting:

>* Capitalist propaganda

>* Christian propaganda

So _some_ propaganda is OK! Why even _bother_ with the deception of being
"unbiased" or having some ersatz objectivity? Oh, of course - ideology is
always something _someone_else_ has, isn't it?!

Scot.

--
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

David Gerard

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 02:53:57 GMT, Dave Horsfall (da...@fgh.fgh.oz.au) wrote:
:[ Blather deleted... "Mind viruses"??? ]

:Sounds like an excellent proposal for a mailing list. That way, the
:dear kiddies need not expose themselves (!) to the Net at all...

Interesting that the Web page says NOTHING about who they are, but
DOES have lots of details on excatly how to send them money.

BTW, I've posted this to aus.students as well as aus.net.news -- please
follow up to both places.

--
http://suburbia.net/~fun/scn/

David Gerard

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

[Followups directed away from aus.general, into aus.students and aus.net.news.]

On Sun, 28 Jul 1996 05:30:13 +1000,
STEPHANIE GREAVES (n140...@sparrow.qut.edu.au) wrote:

:errr ... you may be asking for decent discussion and stuff (??), but I

I think the joke is that the person does not reveal who they are but
does ask for money, in considerable detail.

But don't take my word for it -- check the page at

http://www.powerup.com.au/~union

It seems to crash my copy of Lynx 2.4.1, but works under Lynx 2.3 and
Netscape.

Odd thing -- they're on a Queensland internet provider, but seem to
be based in Victoria. Why?

And who is getting the money from this thing? And why don't they
say who they are up front?

--
Rev Dr David Gerard KoX SP4.04 kOh; VUT SRC Media Officer; +61 (3) 9688 4071
ge...@cougar.vut.edu.au f...@suburbia.net http://www.vut.edu.au/~src/

Dave Horsfall

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

[ Blather deleted... "Mind viruses"??? ]

Sounds like an excellent proposal for a mailing list. That way, the
dear kiddies need not expose themselves (!) to the Net at all...

--
Dave Horsfall VK2KFU da...@fgh.oz.au Ph: +61 2 9957-4224 Fx: +61 2 9922-5286
FGH Decision Support Systems P/L, 77 Pacific Hwy, Nth. Sydney, 2060, Australia

Gibson H R

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

:
: Procedural details are below. The proponent of aus.students.news

: is the Australian Union of Students, a voluntary student
: association that supports family values and the free enterprise
: system, and that seeks to encourage students to become more
: employable. Further information about the proponent is given at:

When I first read this the idea seemed appealing. A student group that
might provide some balance to the opinions of the NUS. But as one reads on
the idea gets less and less appealing.

:
: Our proposed newsgroup "aus.students.news" is needed because at

: present there is no newsgroup for Australian university students
: and TAFE students. The group aus.students is officially for
: school students, although many university students post
: off-the-topic articles. Some students would see the heading

Perhaps then one might consider proposing that the charter of aus.students
be rewritten to include _all_ students in Australia. But of course this
isn't consistent with your desire for a 'moderated' group.

: The proposed newsgroup will be moderated by the Australian Union

: of Students. People wanting to contribute articles, letters to
: editor, etc, will email these to the Union, where the editors
: will post the articles to the newsgroup. There will be an article
: in the newsgroup with the subject "How to Contribute Articles to

<snip to stuff about making sure no deviant material>

Since your idea is to essentially produce a student newspaper on the net
why not go for somethign based around the web rather than USENET. This
would give you the same control over content and with the adoption of PICS
and PICS compatible browsers ( something not far off now) students would
not be blocked by their parental filters. (Mind you , why a student in
year 10 upwards should have their net access filtered by Net NAnny etc has
me beat. At 15 you can leave school , get a job and pay taxes! Surely if
you're old enough to do that you're old enough to have real net access..
but I'll eave that for another time)

Onc eyou have your on-line magazine up and going you can promote it and
call for submissions by posting to aus.students etc.

: : To ensure the viability of aus.students.news, the Australian Union

: of Students will import articles from other newsgroups.

Waste of bandwidth. If you want to import material put it on a web page so
that only the people interested in it see it. MInd you it may pay to check
up on copyright before doing this.

: What is "off the topic"

: -----------------------
:
: The following types of articles will not be published in this
: newsgroup for obvious reasons:
:
: * Articles in languages other than English
: and Australian Aboriginal languages.

I find this point curious. Although I don't have the statistics on hand to
illustrate my point why allow aboriginal languages and not other languages
since I would venture that some 'foriegn' languages are more widely
spoken in Australian than many aboriginal languages.

: * Articles containing false information.
:
What lengths are you prepared to go to verify the accuracy of the
information. I am sure that a final year engineering student could write a
piece that would sound quite convincing yet be quite false , yet only be
picked up by another student of the same discipline. Better to stick with
some sort of standard disclaimer and let readers make up their own mind.

: * Articles containing "mind-viruses".
:
: A "mind-virus" is similar to a computer virus. Just as a

: computer virus is information that, if fed into your computer,
: will cause it to malfunction, so a "mind-virus" is information
: that, if fed into your brain, will cause your brain to function
: less well than you would like.

Now this is where this charter really goes to pieces. The point about
having a sharp and fully functioning mind is that it allows you to take in
all the available information, apply some critical reasoning to it , then
make an informed decision about it.

Or look at it another way. A society (or individual I guess), that is not
exposed to disease gradually looses its ability to fight diseas when it
does come along. The Aboriginal population in Australia suffered serious
harm during the early period of colonisation due to dieseas which it had
never been exposed to and hence had no immunity to. Now taking this back
to the mind-virus - unless people are exposed to these sorts of things ,
unless people are given a chance to recognise and deal with these things ,
then they will become very susepctable to them when they do encounter
them.

It is probably much better that high school students are exposed to
'Marxist' ideas on an open forum like the net where the issues can be
debated. This is definitely better than having them go through school with
no exposure to Marxist ( and counter-marxist) arguments and being swept
off their feet during orientation week at Uni by a swift talking
representative of 'Resistance' ( or some other socialist organisation)

:
: * Marxist propaganda
:

See above point.

: * "Politically Correct" propaganda
: (see definition below)

Same as for Marxist. Let students see it and debate it.

: * Gay propaganda

So what contstitutes 'gay propaganda'? Is it gay propaganda to promote
homosexuality as a legitimate lifestyle choice. Do you have a policy on
homophobic propaganda?

: * Bad language
:
This is fair enough I geuss.

: The following are not "mind-viruses", but we might not publish

: them if they are too uninteresting:
:
: * Capitalist propaganda
:
: * Christian propaganda

This I find hillarious. You put an outright ban on propaganda from the
left but don't apply it to the right! I thought part of the istitution fo
the free market was that people were 'free' to say what they wanted. I
accept that you want a moderated forum but I think you are going to loose
a _lot_ of credibility over this. ( assuming you ahve any to start with).

:
: Politically Correct Propaganda

: ------------------------------
:
: "Political Correctness" is the official ideology of the
: Establishment in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Britain.

What !?! Care to explain this. Maybe if you had said 'economic
rationalism' I might have said maybe ... but PC as the 'officla
idealogy'.??

: "Political Correctness" is often mistakenly confused with
: Christianity.

Who by? I thought PC stood in stark contrast to it. e.g. it's very PC to
stand up for gay adoption rights , something I doubt a lot of Christian's
would be pleased with.

:More people have died as a result of "Political

: Correctness" than have died as a result of Nazism, so "Political
: Correctness" is somewhere in between Nazism and Marxism as a
: threat to humanity.

Care to clarify this. PC is a 'bad idea (tm)' but I don;t know if it rates
with Nazism and Marxizm just yet.

: The Australian Union of Students is preparing a Political

: Correctness Home Page on the World Wide Web. This will be

I'll b einterested to see it.

: Copyright
: ---------

See my earlier point. Particualry important if you are going to repost
articles from other groups. Like I said , maybe you'd be better off with a
web based publication. :
:
:

I still think this would be better done as a web based publication with
updates and calls for sbmissions posted to aus.students. I also think it
wod be wrong to call it aus.students.news since the charter suggests it is
unlikely to be representative of the whole student population. IMHO an
unmoderated aus.students with a charter expanded to include tertiary
students , or maybe aus.students.tertiary (unmoderated) would be a better
idea.

BTW - if you really must have a newsgroup rather than a web based
publication then I'd go with the suggestion of aus.org.A-U-S.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Randyte (Heath Gibson) c941...@alinga.newcastle.edu.au

"Help fight net censorship and protect your free speech. Stay informed and
fight the NSW governments censorship laws."

*** Latest update - http://wwwcs.newcastle.edu.au/CSS/censorship.html ***

++++++++++http://www2.hunterlink.net.au/~ddhrg/randyte.html+++++++++++++++++++

Bek Oberin

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

In article <DvD2F...@matilda.vut.edu.au>, David Gerard wrote:
>I think the joke is that the person does not reveal who they are but
>does ask for money, in considerable detail.
>But don't take my word for it -- check the page at
> http://www.powerup.com.au/~union
>It seems to crash my copy of Lynx 2.4.1, but works under Lynx 2.3 and
>Netscape.

It works with lynx 2.5.whatever-is-current, but the HTML could do with
a bit of critique

<BASE HREF="http://www.powerup.com.au/~union">
<HTML><HEAD>

HTML should be the first tag on the page, excluding the prologue if
there is one, which there isn't.

BASE should be inside the head.

<TITLE>Australian Union of Students Home Page</TITLE><HEAD>

HEAD section should be finished with /HEAD, like every other tag.
You've illegally started another head section.

<BODY TEXT="FFFFFF" LINK="FFFF00" VLINK="FFFF00"
ALINK="FFFF00" BGCOLOR="FF0000" >
<FONT SIZE=4>

What's the point of changing the font size if everything on the page
is either headers or PRE?

<BR><BR>
<H1><CENTER>Australian Union of Students</CENTER></H1>

Hmmm. The entire point of having H1..H6 header tags is to let the
*browser* implement them however it wants, surrounding them by CENTER
and other tags ruins that.

<BR>
<H2><CENTER>Home Page</CENTER></H2>

Ditto.

<BR><BR>

You really like these BR tags, don't you. Ever met a paragraph-break?
Did anybody tell you that headers are supposed to add their own space
by spec?

<H3><B><I>What is the Australian Union of Students<BR><COMMENT>
</COMMENT>and how do you join it?</I></B></H3>

COMMENT? What's a COMMENT? It isn't anywhere in the spec that I
have!

<BR><PRE>
... etc.

Putting the entire page's text inside PRE tags is hardly good HTML,
but it's technically correct.

gossamer

Hmmm. Alt.fan.warlord.html, anybody? :)
--
: /~/\ <-blue Bek Oberin - goss...@glasswings.com.au
: /_/\_\ http://glasswings.com.au/gossamer/

michael coatsworth

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Hello everyone

I'm writing from England.

I would like to hear from ANYONE!

Here's a bit about myself!

I used to do quite a lot of out door activities, such as canoeing, rock
climbing, sub aqua diving. I was a very outgoing person. And If it was
possible, then I still would be.

My motto was you only live once, so get as much out of life as possible
and really enjoy yourself. If you see an opportunity then grab it with
both hands! I know there are rules in life that we have to obey! But it
doesn't stop you having fun!

If I had a chance to go overseas, then I took it! eventually, I had
visited over twenty one different countries. And I really did enjoy
myself in every one! Doing a lot of local activities, visiting sites
that you only see in magazines! It was brilliant!

And if I had my life all over again, then I'd do the same things again!
Yes nothing stopped me from doing what I wanted to do. Once I'd set my
eyes on something interesting, I'd have to do it, or see it! And just to
repeat myself, I can honestly say I enjoyed everything!

I've seen the Berlin wall before it was pulled down, I've visited Arnhem
bridge, were the big battle was in the second world war, I've visited
Hong Kong and seen all the wonderful sights there. I've visited Canada
and tried ONCE bronco riding! (never again) it hurts when you land on
the floor:-)

I've been sub aqua diving in Cyprus, I've visited Singapore, Bahrain,
Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands,In Barbados, I took part in ALL the water
sports!

OKAY! OKAY! OKAY! I hear you saying!, You get the picture! So to round
off, My motto is if you want to do something with your life, then have
fun while you're doing it!

I never worry about Spelling errors or typing mistakes of any kind,
people usually understand what I'm saying, anyway I try to use my spell
checker a lot:-)

Myself:

I am married, Forty eight years old, married with three grown up
children. Tina 21yrs, Stephen 19 yrs he's in the Army, Lesley 16 yrs.
Lesley is the rebel!:-) Always wanting to do her own thing! I say to her
Good! When you know what you want, then go get it! I think that's why we
get on so well together! I never stop her doing what she wants to do!

My wife Betty, is a different kettle of fish, she is always trying to
stop Lesley doing anything where she might get hurt! I think though she
is just trying to protect her, but I think there can be too much
protection! I mean, how is a person expected to learn, except by making
their own mistakes? All you can really do is advise them!

Anyway I was very outgoing, until I was hit by a car and received
multiple injuries, hence me being confined to a wheel chair.

I live in a three bedroom Bungalow,(a house with no upstairs) it stands
in its own grounds. I have a big colourful garden, it usually takes
around two hours just to cut the grass! And that is only the first cut!

I live in a small country village, called Guiseley, that's in West
Yorkshire. Nearly everyone knows everyone else, but they're friendly
enough. I am usually sitting out in the garden on nice days, just
watching the wildlife roaming through my grass. It is a very peaceful
place.

I attend college one day a week, on a Wednesday, learning information
technology. So far I have quite a few qualifications.

Right: your turn to let me know a bit about your self?

But maybe you've found me boring?

Your friend

Mike

--
michael coatsworth

michael coatsworth

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Hello

ME: Who am I? Well below is a little about myself.

My name is Mike, and I'm writing all the way from ENGLAND.

I'm one of the ugliest persons around! Betty has already broken six
cameras taking pictures of me! The lens keep cracking!

I was once offered a job in a circus freak show! But they found it too
expensive on insurance pay outs! Every time someone saw me! they went
into convulsions! And sued the circus for not putting a bag over my
head!

Myself:

But maybe you've found me boring?

David Gerard

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Gibson H R (c941...@alinga.newcastle.edu.au) wrote:

: I still think this would be better done as a web based publication with

: updates and calls for sbmissions posted to aus.students. I also think it
: wod be wrong to call it aus.students.news since the charter suggests it is
: unlikely to be representative of the whole student population. IMHO an
: unmoderated aus.students with a charter expanded to include tertiary
: students , or maybe aus.students.tertiary (unmoderated) would be a better
: idea.

aus.students covers tertiary students too, simply because we do use it
'cos it's there. This doesn't seem to lead to tears from anyone really.
I wasn't even aware that it had ever NOT been for tertiary-student-related
matters until Mr Union said so in his first RFD.

(In fact, I would be interested to hear more on the subject from anyone
who knows the history of aus.students.)

Mr Union should:

1. Keep a Web-based magazine.

2. Post to aus.students.

3. Tell us who the hell is behind this organisation the AUS.

--
http://www.vut.edu.au/~src

kalyan....@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2013, 2:35:33 AM8/16/13

www.web-design-hyderabad.in/seo-course-in-neredmet
Contact for advisor : +91 9177522892

Web Design Hyderabad has a great demand and much more competition, But many of companies are not able to provide good service for customers, The problem might be because of design quality, not providing dynamic works like contact form or may be client expecting more work with very low cost.

To work with Web Design in Hyderabad, A designer should more honest with the client, you have to be explain the work of cost exactly, If not a designer will be struggled one day with client, Every one knows a designer can do any work but it takes time right, We have to cost as per our time

web design companies in hyderabad

Web design history

The Hypertext concept was invented by Ted Nelson in 60s, however it was used only for some decades after. During 1992 to 1994 other developers started adding up their own bits of HTML codes. HTML 1 tags and the HTML 2 born. As internet faster now the Web designers are putting more HTML capabilities. In 1995 more HTML tags have appeared and HTMl 3 was born. Now designers have an lot of option to use HTML B tables and style sheets and many more. They also have animated images, and Flash also introduced. It changed the whole landscape of web design from static to dynamic.

The first web site published in the World Wide Web history at sometime in August of 1981. It was some 30 years ago, however the Internet born in the sixties. It wasn’t fast as today. However it was capable in transferring information from one computer to another. Tim Berners was the first person who invented the World Wide Web. Tim Berners is British computer scientist. The First website launched in year 1990. on December 25 1990 with the help of Robert Cailliau and young student at CERN, Tim Berners implemented first successful communication between a Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) patron and server via Internet.