Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

paulm

da leggere,
17 feb 2003, 06:41:5317/02/03
On Saturday I happily purchased Massive Attack's new album "100th Window".
Today (Monday) I unhappily returned it to the store.

The "copy protection" on the Australian version means I cannot use my
MemoryStick Walkman to listen to the album when on the move. It also
means that if I'm listening to it on my PC I'm restricted to a version
of substandard quality played with substandard player software.

Those two playback methods account for 95% of my (non-radio) music listening.

What are the record companies thinking? I own over 400 CDs and frequently
buy new ones. I have supported musicians and the music industry with my
hard earned cash for years. I enjoy music and I enjoy owning CDs. But
there is simply no point in me buying a copy protected disc because it
is 95% less useful to me than a normal one.

The days of "plain" CD players being the norm is passing. When my "plain"
CD player dies it won't be replaced. My xBox or PC or whatever will take
over the minor role that my "plain" CD player still has. "Copy Protected"
discs will then be useless to me.

That's why I returned it and I hope that other consumers will be aware
enough of the issue to make similar educated decisions so that the record
companies realise sooner rather than later that "Copy Protection" of this
sort will harm their business.

I love listening to music. I love owning music. Why are they making it
difficult for me?

Massive Attack lost a sale today.
EMI Australia lost a sale today.
I lost the opportunity to listen to some music I know I'd love to listen to.

Seems like everyone's a loser...

As consumers and music lovers we must make our voice heard otherwise we
risk losing access to the music we love.

We must vote with our wallets.
We must complain to the record companies.
We must complain to the distributers.
We must complain to the record stores.
We must complain to the artists.
We must complain to the music press.

I've done all these things today (as well as initiate a complaint with the
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission over innadequate labeling
of copy protected discs at HMV).

Let's not just sit back and take this crap eh?

--
Paul McGarry

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
17 feb 2003, 23:12:0217/02/03
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:41:53 +1100, "paulm" <pa...@whollyshit.org>
wrote:

>On Saturday I happily purchased Massive Attack's new album "100th Window".
>Today (Monday) I unhappily returned it to the store.
>
>The "copy protection" on the Australian version means I cannot use my
>MemoryStick Walkman to listen to the album when on the move. It also
>means that if I'm listening to it on my PC I'm restricted to a version
>of substandard quality played with substandard player software.

Just as an aside, I got hold of a copy of "100th Window" last week and
took a look at the copy protection. I worked out a way to create a
perfect digital clone copy of the disc using a popular net-available
CD backup program; it took all of 4 minutes to do, and the result
could either be used direct from the hard disc or burned to a fresh
CD, a perfect copy of the album with the protection removed. No
special hardware was required. If I'd wanted to share MP3s of all the
songs on the album, I could have encoded perfect digital files direct
from the ripped hard disc image.

Naturally I can't say exactly how or with what software, but if *I*
could work it out in under 5 minutes, I doubt it'll stop the pirates
and the super-tech-savvy file-sharing kiddies for much longer than 60
seconds. "Copy control" simply does not work for its intended purpose
of stopping file-sharing and piracy. The only people it stops are
legitimate purchasers who want to listen to the album they bought on
their portable devices.

The irony is that if this album wasn't copy-protected, it never would
have ended up on my hard disc in the first place. I should point out,
by the way, that the above was done for research purposes only, and
all files were immediately deleted.

By the way, the original CD - not surprisingly - was not identified by
any of the CD-playing programs that use FreeDB, CDDB, or Microsoft's
poor excuse for a track-title database. But the copied version was
immediately recognised as the Massive Attack album that it was. This
implies that "Copy Control" is added at a very late stage to an
otherwise unprotected master, one which is obviously used unprotected
elsewhere in the world.

- Anthony

Admiral

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 00:11:0118/02/03
I agree with everything you've said.

I reckon i'll download a copy of the album now, to support your noble cause.

-A

"paulm" <pa...@whollyshit.org> wrote in message

Sarch

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 03:18:5418/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:12:02 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:

> Naturally I can't say exactly how or with what software, but if *I*

That's very admiral of you. <g>

Seriously, if my Plextor drive wasn't a piece of shit, I would have done
the same thing and told everyone. Mind you, I did once try it but the whole
copying process took around an hour. When I attempted to extract the audio
tracks from the CD image, the application gave error messages about bad
sectors (it stumbled across the "copy protection"). Either my CD drive is
truly useless or the method you've described is not as straight forward as
you claim.

Sarch
--
Spamblock in action: Remove NOTREAL from email address to reply via email.

"Look, if that's where those poor children are, of course I'll go
to Somalia." - Amanda Keller, "The Hub"

Sarch

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 03:43:1118/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:18:54 +1100, Sarch wrote:

> That's very admiral of you. <g>

Admirable even, stupid. <g>

Ben Deane-Freeman

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 04:05:4818/02/03

paulm wrote in message ...
>xBox

Ahaha. XBOX IS HUGE!!!!

Ron Hardin

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 04:17:5918/02/03
Go to amazon.com and write a review, rated 1 star, that the disc
is useless because copy protected.

Some people read the reviews before buying, and (surprisingly? or not)
amazon posts the review.

You don't have to buy it there to review it there.
--
Ron Hardin
rhha...@mindspring.com

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 04:23:1718/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:18:54 +1100, Sarch <a...@notreal.zip.com.au>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:12:02 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:
>
>> Naturally I can't say exactly how or with what software, but if *I*
>
>That's very admiral of you. <g>

Aye aye, cap'n :-)

>Seriously, if my Plextor drive wasn't a piece of shit, I would have done
>the same thing and told everyone. Mind you, I did once try it but the whole
>copying process took around an hour. When I attempted to extract the audio
>tracks from the CD image, the application gave error messages about bad
>sectors (it stumbled across the "copy protection"). Either my CD drive is
>truly useless or the method you've described is not as straight forward as
>you claim.

Oh, it's very straightforward indeed. There's only one thing that
needs to be done to successfully read a real CDDA image from the disc,
and it's something that not many CD backup programs can do. And no,
Exact Audio Copy is not the program I'm talking about (it will not
work with Copy Control discs).

- Anthony

paulm

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 05:10:1018/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:12:02 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:

> Just as an aside, I got hold of a copy of "100th Window" last week and
> took a look at the copy protection. I worked out a way to create a
> perfect digital clone copy of the disc using a popular net-available
> CD backup program; it took all of 4 minutes to do, and the result
> could either be used direct from the hard disc or burned to a fresh

Yes, from my research on the web it seems different drives "cope" with
the Cactus Data Shield 200 to varying degrees. I don't really have a
clue what I'm doing but this was the first copy protected not-a-cd that
I've come accross so I thought I'd have a poke about for tools and see
what the deal was. The drive on my Vaio didn't seem to have any success.
But as I say I don't have any idea what I'm doing and have no desire
to spend any time learning how to rip CDs.

I simply shouldn't need to.

> poor excuse for a track-title database. But the copied version was
> immediately recognised as the Massive Attack album that it was. This
> implies that "Copy Control" is added at a very late stage to an
> otherwise unprotected master, one which is obviously used unprotected
> elsewhere in the world.

Indeed, the American version certainly isn't protected. Thus the reason
for releasing the album with copy protection here can't to actually
protect the content. It must be that they want to test the technology,
both in terms of:

a) Test whether consumers will tolerate reduced functionality discs.
b) Test how aggressive their copy protection mechanisms can be and still
have the discs work in the "real world".

As such I hope consumers tell them exactly where to stick it.

There's a reasonably healthy discussion going on at:
http://www.emimusic.com.au/forum/forum.asp?forumid=121

Several of us have complained to the ACCC over inadequate labeling and
other matters.

I've also added my "review" of the not-a-cds to the HMV and Chaosmusic
websites and written letters to other entities and posts to other forums
including the Massive Attack forums at http://forums.massiveattack.co.uk/

--
Paul McGarry
http://pmcg.blogspot.com/

paulm

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 05:14:4318/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 05:11:01 +0000, Admiral wrote:

> I agree with everything you've said.
>
> I reckon i'll download a copy of the album now, to support your noble cause.

Thank you, but I do not think such an action helps to "support" my "noble
cause".

I suppose it might illustrate that the record companies have nothing to
gain by alienating their potential customers.

Paul McGarry
--
http://pmcg.blogspot.com/

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 05:29:1918/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:10:10 +1100, "paulm" <pa...@whollyshit.org>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:12:02 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:
>
>> Just as an aside, I got hold of a copy of "100th Window" last week and
>> took a look at the copy protection. I worked out a way to create a
>> perfect digital clone copy of the disc using a popular net-available
>> CD backup program; it took all of 4 minutes to do, and the result
>> could either be used direct from the hard disc or burned to a fresh
>
>Yes, from my research on the web it seems different drives "cope" with
>the Cactus Data Shield 200 to varying degrees.

Is it Cactus Data Shield that EMI has been using? If so, it's hardly
worth the paper its patent is printed on; all four of my optical
drives were able to read a protection-free image at normal audio
reading speeds - and one of those drives dates back to 1997.

> I don't really have a
>clue what I'm doing but this was the first copy protected not-a-cd that
>I've come accross so I thought I'd have a poke about for tools and see
>what the deal was.

Exactly what I thought I'd do. The second program I tried did the job
effortlessly. I was actually a little disappointed it wasn't more of a
challenge :)

>> immediately recognised as the Massive Attack album that it was. This
>> implies that "Copy Control" is added at a very late stage to an
>> otherwise unprotected master, one which is obviously used unprotected
>> elsewhere in the world.
>
>Indeed, the American version certainly isn't protected.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the actual glass-mastering -
and therefore the protection - was done by EMI's Uden plant in Europe.
Presumably D.A.T.A. isn't equipped for making non-Red-Book CDs, and
perhaps this copy protection initiative is coming from the European
arm of the company.

>Several of us have complained to the ACCC over inadequate labeling and
>other matters.

There's also the matter of the disc not being playable by, for
example, a Linux machine. Anti-competitive, wouldn't you say? :)

>I've also added my "review" of the not-a-cds to the HMV and Chaosmusic
>websites and written letters to other entities and posts to other forums
>including the Massive Attack forums at http://forums.massiveattack.co.uk/

I'd dearly love to hear the opinions of some of the artists that have
had protection foisted upon them. The fact that Massive Attack's
second album was called Protection may have been advance irony :)

- Anthony

paulm

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 06:27:3618/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:29:19 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:

>>Yes, from my research on the web it seems different drives "cope" with
>>the Cactus Data Shield 200 to varying degrees.
> Is it Cactus Data Shield that EMI has been using?

So I've read.

> One thing I forgot to mention was that the actual glass-mastering -
> and therefore the protection - was done by EMI's Uden plant in Europe.
> Presumably D.A.T.A. isn't equipped for making non-Red-Book CDs, and
> perhaps this copy protection initiative is coming from the European
> arm of the company.

There seem to be conflicting reports as to whether the UK edition is
crippled.
http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/
Lists the U.K., Scandinavia and Australia as being crippled. I've also
heard mention of Canadian one's too.

>>Several of us have complained to the ACCC over inadequate labeling and
>>other matters.
> There's also the matter of the disc not being playable by, for
> example, a Linux machine. Anti-competitive, wouldn't you say? :)

I don't think so, at least not in the illegal sense. I'm sure there's a
whole bunch of preconditions involving monopoly positions and stuff before
that becomes an issue.

> I'd dearly love to hear the opinions of some of the artists that have
> had protection foisted upon them. The fact that Massive Attack's
> second album was called Protection may have been advance irony :)

Me too.

Sarch

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 06:44:1918/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:23:17 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:18:54 +1100, Sarch <a...@notreal.zip.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:12:02 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:
>>
>>> Naturally I can't say exactly how or with what software, but if *I*
>>
>>That's very admiral of you. <g>
>
> Aye aye, cap'n :-)

Luckily I did spot my silly mistake way before you made your post, as you
would already know. ;) My defense is reading Admiral's post before yours...

> Oh, it's very straightforward indeed. There's only one thing that
> needs to be done to successfully read a real CDDA image from the disc,
> and it's something that not many CD backup programs can do. And no,
> Exact Audio Copy is not the program I'm talking about (it will not
> work with Copy Control discs).

Go on, don't stop there, give the details. For us casual rippers who have
little time or will into understanding how CD ripping works, it'll save us
a lot of trouble, believe me.

paulm

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 08:00:3618/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:29:19 +1100, Anthony Horan wrote:
> One thing I forgot to mention was that the actual glass-mastering -
> and therefore the protection - was done by EMI's Uden plant in Europe.

On the funny side in The Netherlands they promote the albums release with
a limited edition Massive Attack Apple iPod.

http://www.apple.com/nl/successstories/massiveattack/

Then they release the album with copy protection and you can't use 100th
Window by Massive attack on you Massive Attack 100th Window iPod.

http://forums.massiveattack.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=888

You couldn't write this stuff better...pure genius.

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 08:20:4818/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:44:19 +1100, Sarch <a...@notreal.zip.com.au>
wrote:

>>>That's very admiral of you. <g>
>>
>> Aye aye, cap'n :-)
>
>Luckily I did spot my silly mistake way before you made your post, as you
>would already know. ;) My defense is reading Admiral's post before yours...

No defense needed, I was only teasing. I kind of like the word-swap,
actually. Fits in with things like Stephen Mayne calling John Howard
the Prime Miniature. But I digress yet again. :)

>> Oh, it's very straightforward indeed. There's only one thing that
>> needs to be done to successfully read a real CDDA image from the disc,
>> and it's something that not many CD backup programs can do. And no,
>> Exact Audio Copy is not the program I'm talking about (it will not
>> work with Copy Control discs).
>
>Go on, don't stop there, give the details. For us casual rippers who have
>little time or will into understanding how CD ripping works, it'll save us
>a lot of trouble, believe me.

I'm reluctant to go into details of how to circumvent this copy
protection method because I am posting, as I always do, under my real
name. The last thing I need is a lawsuit, or an international
Gutnick-style test case for the US DMCA laws :-)

So I can't tell you how I did it, despite the fact that it was purely
for research purposes. However, there are not many popular Windows
programs that are specifically designed to Clone a CD, so it shouldn't
be too hard to figure out. :)

This is, of course, all very silly. It's a rare music fan that hasn't
made a compilation tape or CD, and that's exactly the same kind of
thing as I figured out how to do with this disc, which I own. However,
now that copying a CD that you own is apparently considered a more
heinous crime than murder, rape or walking diagonally, paranoia is
probably justified.

- Anthony

Fletcher Fletchofferson Fletchowicz

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 10:36:1718/02/03
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:20:48 +1100, Anthony Horan <anthon...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>So I can't tell you how I did it, despite the fact that it was purely
>for research purposes. However, there are not many popular Windows
>programs that are specifically designed to Clone a CD, so it shouldn't
>be too hard to figure out. :)

Is this a method to copy the whole CD as-is, or can you make copies of
individual songs from the CD?

-Fletch

A#638
To reply, remove the underpants from my email address.
Say NO to spam.
http://www.looweeze.com for talent and music.

Admiral

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 12:37:1418/02/03
You'd need a whole damn team of Pele clones to move that sucker!

-A

"Ben Deane-Freeman" <be...@email.com> wrote in message

Admiral

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 22:30:5418/02/03
Oh Floyd, you're such a card!

-A

"Floyd" <n...@home.or.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> In article <Ffj4a.17434$863....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Admiral
> (kd...@bigpond.net.au) says...

> > I agree with everything you've said.
> >
> > I reckon i'll download a copy of the album now, to support your noble
cause.

> Actually, that just reinforces to the companies that they need stronger
> protection, which makes it more difficult for his noble cause...

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 22:53:0218/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:36:17 +0800, Fletcher Fletchofferson
Fletchowicz <fle...@iinet.net.underpants.au> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:20:48 +1100, Anthony Horan <anthon...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>So I can't tell you how I did it, despite the fact that it was purely
>>for research purposes. However, there are not many popular Windows
>>programs that are specifically designed to Clone a CD, so it shouldn't
>>be too hard to figure out. :)
>
>Is this a method to copy the whole CD as-is, or can you make copies of
>individual songs from the CD?

You can copy individual songs for use in a portable player by loading
the disc image into the software's included "virtual drive" and then
copying them as normal with your favourite program, directing it to
the virtual "disc" rather than to your CD drive.

- Anthony

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
18 feb 2003, 22:54:2418/02/03
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:00:37 GMT, MPA <mail_me@my_site.com> wrote:

>CD CLONE

Nope.

Fletcher Fletchofferson Fletchowicz

da leggere,
19 feb 2003, 01:44:2219/02/03
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:53:02 +1100, Anthony Horan <anthon...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:36:17 +0800, Fletcher Fletchofferson
>Fletchowicz <fle...@iinet.net.underpants.au> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:20:48 +1100, Anthony Horan <anthon...@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>So I can't tell you how I did it, despite the fact that it was purely
>>>for research purposes. However, there are not many popular Windows
>>>programs that are specifically designed to Clone a CD, so it shouldn't
>>>be too hard to figure out. :)
>>
>>Is this a method to copy the whole CD as-is, or can you make copies of
>>individual songs from the CD?
>
>You can copy individual songs for use in a portable player by loading
>the disc image into the software's included "virtual drive" and then
>copying them as normal with your favourite program, directing it to
>the virtual "disc" rather than to your CD drive.
>

>- Anthony

Now you're talking :)

AY

da leggere,
19 feb 2003, 02:54:3919/02/03

D-Tools?

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
19 feb 2003, 08:48:2619/02/03

You were closer the first time :-)

- Anthony

Mitchell McCreath

da leggere,
19 feb 2003, 16:30:1219/02/03
I bought Atomic Kittens new single "Be With You" protected by
"copy control" I just used nero to copy it. worked fine.
I also made MP3s of the tracks using Sound Forge 6.0

Cheers,
Mitch.

"Ron Hardin" <rhha...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

AY

da leggere,
19 feb 2003, 20:10:1119/02/03
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:48:26 +1100, Anthony Horan

<anthon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Nope.
>>
>>D-Tools?
>
>You were closer the first time :-)

Wasn't me the first time!

But I think I know what you used now... D-Tools can do the same
thing.

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
19 feb 2003, 23:03:5919/02/03
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:30:12 +1100, "Mitchell McCreath"
<chi...@froggy.com.au> wrote:

>I bought Atomic Kittens new single "Be With You" protected by
>"copy control" I just used nero to copy it. worked fine.
>I also made MP3s of the tracks using Sound Forge 6.0

I suspect that, going by various reports of similar experiences, not
all EMI CD singles that are labelled as "copy controlled" are actually
mastered with copy protection.

If you stick it in a CD-ROM drive and Windows sees it as an Audio CD
by default, it's probably not copy protected.

- Anthony

Robert Atkins

da leggere,
22 feb 2003, 20:22:5422/02/03
In article <Ffj4a.17434$863....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Admiral wrote:
> I agree with everything you've said.
>
> I reckon i'll download a copy of the album now, to support your noble cause.

How's this for an idea: burn a couple of copies and mail them
anonymously to EMI and your favourite music journalist.

Cheers, Robert.

Sarch

da leggere,
22 feb 2003, 21:43:2022/02/03
On 23 Feb 2003 12:22:54 +1100, Robert Atkins wrote:

> How's this for an idea: burn a couple of copies and mail them
> anonymously to EMI and your favourite music journalist.

Won't informing EMI that their CD protection scheme is worthless (either by
phoning or writing to them) just make them adopt an even nastier scheme in
the future?

Aussiemale

da leggere,
22 feb 2003, 22:02:4822/02/03
"Sarch" <a...@notreal.zip.com.au> wrote in message

> On 23 Feb 2003 12:22:54 +1100, Robert Atkins wrote:
>
> > How's this for an idea: burn a couple of copies and mail them
> > anonymously to EMI and your favourite music journalist.
>
> Won't informing EMI that their CD protection scheme is worthless (either
by
> phoning or writing to them) just make them adopt an even nastier scheme in
> the future?

If you can get a clean audio signal out of your CD player - you can use any
decent recording utility to save as a 16bit wav to your pc and then burn to
a new cd. The only way to stop this would render the discs unplayable on
all current machines. They would be forced to adopt a totally new standard
that incorporated full encryption algorithms and require players that
incorporated the decrypting code. This will last about as long as the zone
encoding in games did.

Tandy Electronics even promote the sale of a turntable for the express
purpose of transferring vinyl records to cd - the software that does this
can accept any line input you care to feed into the line input of your
soundcard.

The record companies have no hope of stopping people from copying if they
are determined so to do.

---

paulm

da leggere,
22 feb 2003, 22:19:1922/02/03
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:43:20 +1100, Sarch wrote:

> Won't informing EMI that their CD protection scheme is worthless (either by
> phoning or writing to them) just make them adopt an even nastier scheme in
> the future?

IMHO that would be a good thing.
Currently there seems to be a fairly large number of people who should be
pissed off because they can't use their CDs properly who don't complain
because they personally can circumvent the protection.

It still boggles my mind as to how the record companies expect to sell
more CDs through all this stuff. I sat down to estimate how much I spent
on CDs last year and it must be at least $900. If CDs are no longer useful
to me because I can't play them on my PC, xBox or Network Walkman then I'm
just not going to buy them.

It's kind of funny. The average person who buys one or two CDs a year
probably won't care too much because it doesn't effect them all that much.
However for someone who buys and listens to a lot of CDs will find the
drop in useability much more frustrating. They're pissing off their best
customers. It truly is mind boggling.

--
Paul

Anthony Horan

da leggere,
22 feb 2003, 23:20:0922/02/03
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:43:20 +1100, Sarch <a...@notreal.zip.com.au>
wrote:

>On 23 Feb 2003 12:22:54 +1100, Robert Atkins wrote:
>
>> How's this for an idea: burn a couple of copies and mail them
>> anonymously to EMI and your favourite music journalist.
>
>Won't informing EMI that their CD protection scheme is worthless (either by
>phoning or writing to them) just make them adopt an even nastier scheme in
>the future?

Possibly. And that scheme will be cracked too. You'd think the movie
studios' experience with encryption and region coding would have
taught the record companies something, but no - they still think
waving the technological nightstick is going to solve their problems.

The irony of it all is that, even on the most heavily protected of
CDs, a digital copy is possible. You simply connect a digital
recording device to a standard CD player's digital output, and hit
"play".

There is *no way* that any kind of copy protection is going to have an
effect on illegal MP3 sharing. The only people it inconveniences are
loyal, legitimate customers, who are now having to break the law to
listen to the music they handed over their cash for.

With this, as well as the A&R policies of a blind elephant, no wonder
the multinationals are running scared and going broke. As an EMI
artist once sang: you do it to yourself, you do, and that's what
really hurts.

:)

- Anthony

kh

da leggere,
25 feb 2003, 19:54:3325/02/03

paulm <pa...@whollyshit.org> wrote in message

Is this Paul McGarry aka Drew Peacock????

paulm

da leggere,
26 feb 2003, 05:47:1626/02/03
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:54:33 +1100, kh wrote:

> Is this Paul McGarry aka Drew Peacock????

Indeed it is! Who's asking?

Paul

Robert Atkins

da leggere,
26 feb 2003, 07:00:1026/02/03
In article <kkig5v42tondfkmb7...@4ax.com>, Anthony Horan wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:43:20 +1100, Sarch <a...@notreal.zip.com.au>
> wrote:
>>On 23 Feb 2003 12:22:54 +1100, Robert Atkins wrote:
>>
>>> How's this for an idea: burn a couple of copies and mail them
>>> anonymously to EMI and your favourite music journalist.
>>
>>Won't informing EMI that their CD protection scheme is worthless (either by
>>phoning or writing to them) just make them adopt an even nastier scheme in
>>the future?
>
> Possibly. And that scheme will be cracked too.

And if we go on historical precedent, within about two hours of its
release, by a Norwegian 16 year old.

And *you* think I'm talking about DeCSS -- I'm not. Anyone have a C=64
or Amiga 500 and mail around Postpaks full of pirated games in the late
80s/90s? I er, didn't, but, um, I knew er, of, people who did. But now
we have broadband and p2p filesharing so it'll take 2 minutes to
distribute worldwide rather than two weeks.

Cheers, Robert.

alex

da leggere,
27 feb 2003, 01:08:0927/02/03
"Sarch" <a...@notreal.zip.com.au> wrote in message
> On 23 Feb 2003 12:22:54 +1100, Robert Atkins wrote:
>
> > How's this for an idea: burn a couple of copies and mail them
> > anonymously to EMI and your favourite music journalist.
>
> Won't informing EMI that their CD protection scheme is worthless (either
by
> phoning or writing to them) just make them adopt an even nastier scheme in
> the future?

Pretty sure they'd be aware of that by now...

Sarch

da leggere,
27 feb 2003, 04:05:5227/02/03
On 26 Feb 2003 23:00:10 +1100, Robert Atkins wrote:

> And *you* think I'm talking about DeCSS -- I'm not. Anyone have a C=64
> or Amiga 500 and mail around Postpaks full of pirated games in the late
> 80s/90s? I er, didn't, but, um, I knew er, of, people who did. But now

Good gawd, you just described my early years of computing when my folks
bought me an Amiga 500 way back in the early 90s... yes, even the Postpaks.

Sarch - the Amiga will never die. ;)

Polsen

da leggere,
27 feb 2003, 18:56:5527/02/03
I've been experimenting with copy control CDs on my Philips 775 CD
Recorder, and it seems you can't make a digital copy, but you can make
an analog copy. In fact when I try to make a digital copy, the machine
automatically switches from 'digital copy' mode to analog copy mode,
and proceeds to make an analog copy. Luckily I have cloth ears and
can't tell the difference. ;)
Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore
Inoltra