Roadside wire rope barriers

felix

Sep 20, 2018, 9:39:35 AM9/20/18

There's been a lot of discussion, and complaint, about these lately.
whilst they are are good thing to have on freeways in the centre divider
to protect from collisions with oncoming traffic, they don't make a lot
of sense to have on the left side of the roadway, as the only distance
between them and the left hand lane is the width of the emergency lane.
This means that when a car, or especially trucks, have to stop in the
emergency lane, the right side of the vehicle is adjacent to the left
side of the left lane. How does one get out to check the vehicle or
change a tyre safely for example? and they prevent a car or truck
driving off the freeway completely onto the grass alongside the freeway
for a rest stop, or to let young kids out to toilet or be sick, or for a
lunch break or whatever. and often there's no good reason to have them
there anyway, as often there are no trees to collide with only paddocks
or bushes. it seems like a stupid government decision that hasn't been
thought thru. and motorcycle riders are calling them leg shredders!

--
"a mans got to know his limitations"
- Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry

alvey

Sep 20, 2018, 4:16:16 PM9/20/18
Depends where they're placed. Given a choice between going into one of
these or plunging over an embankment I'd pick the wire.

alvey

felix

Sep 20, 2018, 6:34:01 PM9/20/18
of course. they should be selectively placed, not just along the entire
freeway eg. Princess fwy. but with embankments, cliffs, etc., solid
barriers would probably be used

> alvey

alvey

Sep 20, 2018, 6:40:55 PM9/20/18
There's a lengthy stretch of two lane Highway One somewhere up in the NSW
Northern Rivers where they use the wires down the centre of the highway to
ensure that ppl don't overtake. This is just Not Right.

alvey

Xeno

Sep 20, 2018, 8:27:16 PM9/20/18
Used to be a bit of that at Urunga on the Mid North Coast but that's all
been bypassed now. You will find you bit of hell will be next as they
are currently upgrading the entire northern rivers stretch of the
Pacific Highway.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

F Murtz

Sep 21, 2018, 2:37:02 AM9/21/18
I have never seen wire near such embankments usually steel barriers.

Noddy

Sep 21, 2018, 5:15:44 AM9/21/18
On 21/09/2018 4:37 PM, F Murtz wrote:

>> Depends where they're placed. Given a choice between going into one of
>> these or plunging over an embankment I'd pick the wire.
>>

>> alvey
>>
> I have never seen wire near such embankments usually steel barriers.

Oh, look. Another case of you never seeing it, so therefore it doesn't
exist.

What's next? The Apollo space program was bullshit?

Regards,
Noddy.

F Murtz

Sep 21, 2018, 5:40:52 AM9/21/18
You just have to but in with idiot statements, I just said I have not
seen such incidents, not that they did not exist, it would be rare to
never that they used rope barriers next to sharp drop off embankments
they almost always use steel barriers, maybe it would be helpful if you
disagree, that you show instances?

felix

Sep 21, 2018, 6:01:21 AM9/21/18
I'd go so far as to say wire rope barriers would never be used along
embankments. I've only ever seen them used on roads where the adjacent
land is flat

> maybe it would be helpful if you disagree, that you show instances?

just ignore the idiot. you'll never get any sense out of him

Noddy

Sep 21, 2018, 6:15:58 AM9/21/18
On 21/09/2018 7:40 PM, F Murtz wrote:

>>> I have never seen wire near such embankments usually steel barriers.
>>
>> Oh, look. Another case of you never seeing it, so therefore it doesn't
>> exist.
>>
>> What's next? The Apollo space program was bullshit?
>>

> You just have to but in with idiot statements,

It's a public forum and anyone can comment apparently, and it would be
"Butt".

> I just said I have not
> seen such incidents, not that they did not exist,

That's right, but the implication from you was that they don't exist
which is the implication for anything you're not familiar with.

> it would be rare to never that they used rope barriers next to sharp drop off embankments

I'm sorry, but where did "sharp drop off" embankments come from? The
reference was simply "embankment". It would appear that you've been
kissing Krypsis's arse for long enough now to pick up on his goalpost
shifting technique :)

> they almost always use steel barriers, maybe it would be helpful if you
> disagree, that you show instances?

Oh. I see. You can claim whatever you like and that's fine, but if I
disagree with you I have to prove it, huh?

:)

Okay. Here:

> https://netrider.b-cdn.net/attachments/anthonys-cutting-edit-jpg.144066/

This is Anthony's cutting on the border between Bacchus Marsh and Melton
which is just up the road from me, and the drop off at this point is in
excess of 50 metres. As can be observed by the skidmarks on the road, a
quite substantial impact occurred at this point and the barrier's
integrity was not defeated.

The full page address if you're interested:

> https://netrider.net.au/threads/flexible-barriers-how-they-work-and-the-cheese-cutter-myth.222846/

Consider yourself slightly less ignorant.

Xeno

Sep 21, 2018, 6:28:02 AM9/21/18
On 21/9/18 8:15 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Oh, look. Another case of you never seeing it, so therefore it
>>> doesn't exist.
>>>
>>> What's next? The Apollo space program was bullshit?
>>>

>> You just have to but in with idiot statements,
>
> It's a public forum and anyone can comment apparently, and it would be
> "Butt".
>
>> I just said I have not
>> seen such incidents, not that they did not exist,
>
> That's right, but the implication from you was that they don't exist
> which is the implication for anything you're not familiar with.
>
>> it would be rare to never that they used rope barriers next to sharp
>> drop off embankments
>
> I'm sorry, but where did "sharp drop off" embankments come from? The
> reference was simply "embankment". It would appear that you've been
> kissing Krypsis's arse for long enough now to pick up on his goalpost
> shifting technique :)
>
>> they almost always use steel barriers, maybe it would be helpful if
>> you disagree, that you show instances?
>
> Oh. I see. You can claim whatever you like and that's fine, but if I
> disagree with you I have to prove it, huh?

Well, you do have a habit of making dubious claims - like your claim to
have 2 trade qualifications. Not to forget that claim of 15 years of
Noddy's Automotive of Altona.

> :)
>
> Okay. Here:
>
>> https://netrider.b-cdn.net/attachments/anthonys-cutting-edit-jpg.144066/
>
> This is Anthony's cutting on the border between Bacchus Marsh and Melton
> which is just up the road from me, and the drop off at this point is in
> excess of 50 metres. As can be observed by the skidmarks on the road, a
> quite substantial impact occurred at this point and the barrier's
> integrity was not defeated.
>
> The full page address if you're interested:
>
>> https://netrider.net.au/threads/flexible-barriers-how-they-work-and-the-cheese-cutter-myth.222846/

Now that you've learnt how to prove claims you've made, how about those
trade registration numbers?

> Consider yourself slightly less ignorant.

You'll always be ignorant Noddy, and pig ignorant at that!

FMurtz

Sep 21, 2018, 7:44:15 AM9/21/18
Noddy wrote:

>>> Oh, look. Another case of you never seeing it, so therefore it
>>> doesn't exist.
>>>
>>> What's next? The Apollo space program was bullshit?
>>>

>> You just have to but in with idiot statements,
>
> It's a public forum and anyone can comment apparently, and it would be
> "Butt".
>
>> I just said I have not
>> seen such incidents, not that they did not exist,
>
> That's right, but the implication from you was that they don't exist
> which is the implication for anything you're not familiar with.
>
>> it would be rare to never that they used rope barriers next to sharp
>> drop off embankments
>
> I'm sorry, but where did "sharp drop off" embankments come from? The
> reference was simply "embankment". It would appear that you've been
> kissing Krypsis's arse for long enough now to pick up on his goalpost
> shifting technique :)

Every body but you knows what I meant by what I said, embankments that
you would plunge over was the embankment being discussed, not gentle
sloping embankments. you do seem a bit dim.

Noddy

Sep 21, 2018, 8:26:27 AM9/21/18
On 21/09/2018 9:44 PM, FMurtz wrote:

>>> it would be rare to never that they used rope barriers next to sharp
>>> drop off embankments
>>
>> I'm sorry, but where did "sharp drop off" embankments come from? The
>> reference was simply "embankment". It would appear that you've been
>> kissing Krypsis's arse for long enough now to pick up on his goalpost
>> shifting technique :)
>
> Every body but you knows what I meant by what I said, embankments that
> you would plunge over was the embankment being discussed, not gentle
> sloping embankments. you do seem a bit dim.

Speak on behalf of everyone now, do you? :)

>>> they almost always use steel barriers, maybe it would be helpful if
>>> you disagree, that you show instances?
>>
>> Oh. I see. You can claim whatever you like and that's fine, but if I
>> disagree with you I have to prove it, huh?
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Okay. Here:
>>
>>> https://netrider.b-cdn.net/attachments/anthonys-cutting-edit-jpg.144066/
>>
>> This is Anthony's cutting on the border between Bacchus Marsh and
>> Melton which is just up the road from me, and the drop off at this
>> point is in excess of 50 metres. As can be observed by the skidmarks
>> on the road, a quite substantial impact occurred at this point and the
>> barrier's integrity was not defeated.
>>
>> The full page address if you're interested:
>>
>>> https://netrider.net.au/threads/flexible-barriers-how-they-work-and-the-cheese-cutter-myth.222846/
>>>

>> Consider yourself slightly less ignorant.

Yes, and feel free to completely ignore this example that you asked for.
That's okay :)

Fucking idiot.....

alvey

Sep 21, 2018, 2:41:27 PM9/21/18
Ashley, it's "usually" nothing except a small collection of white crosses.

alvey

felix

Sep 21, 2018, 7:59:10 PM9/21/18
On 21/09/2018 10:26 PM, Noddy wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, but where did "sharp drop off" embankments come from? The
>>> reference was simply "embankment". It would appear that you've been
>>> kissing Krypsis's arse for long enough now to pick up on his
>>> goalpost shifting technique :)
>>
>> Every body but you knows what I meant by what I said, embankments
>> that you would plunge over was the embankment being discussed, not
>> gentle sloping embankments. you do seem a bit dim.
>
> Speak on behalf of everyone now, do you? :)

Help!! I just got buried under a pile of ironing!!..