Can anyone ID this bike?

Jeff R.

Jan 8, 2009, 12:48:45 AM1/8/09
http://www.mendosus.com/jpg/1925-bike.jpg

Not sure of the date. The little fella on the scooter was born in 1918, so
I'd guess it was taken about 1925.

There's *so many* bikes around that era that look like that, right down to
the natty little leather toolbox, that I'm stumped. I had an idea it was a
BSA, but I might have been dreaming.

Any vintage motorcycle experts here?

--
Jeff R.

atec77

Jan 8, 2009, 1:39:08 AM1/8/09
I suspect it was a Velocette or another pommie bike that my Grandparents
owned but the name escapes me atm but the brand is long dead > ah Douglas ?

Bushy

Jan 8, 2009, 2:50:43 AM1/8/09

"Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng> wrote in message

Jeff,

You may want to try this web site and see if they have a picture identifying
the bike.

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/index.htm

Bushy

George W Frost

Jan 8, 2009, 3:48:09 AM1/8/09

"Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng> wrote in message

Looks very much like a 1917 Indian Power Plus
But could be wrong in the model designation

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk91/georgewfrost/cy1917-1f.jpg

Marty H

Jan 8, 2009, 4:34:23 AM1/8/09

Ask Johno... He rode to his 50th on a brand spanking new one

mh
(you piking Johno?)

Yeebok

Jan 8, 2009, 4:32:26 AM1/8/09
That narrows it down a bit - surely you can now compare the photo to all
the matching bikes in your shed since you know what they are ? Come on
George, help the poor guy :)

Johno

Jan 8, 2009, 5:00:53 AM1/8/09
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:34:23 -0800 (PST), Marty H <hyt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

After that I am!!

bastid :P

Johno

George W Frost

Jan 8, 2009, 6:22:43 AM1/8/09

"Yeebok" <ye...@yeeb.yeeb> wrote in message

Yeebok, what the fucking hell do you think I was doing when I posted the
link to a photo which I believe it may be the bike he is searching for ??
If you think that I wasn't trying to ""help the poor guy"", then what was I
doing

Don't answer that,

But, looking at the logical side of it.
The photo was taken around 1925
which makes the bike something before that
Looking at the frame and style of the bike, tells you that it is somewhere
between 1914 and 1925
Okay so far ??

Good, then that means that you are taking notice.......for once.
Then given that the hand operated gear change is on the right hand side of
the bike,
most Indians, although not all of them, had the gear lever on the right hand
side
And there will be detractors out there who will disagree with me on that
but I am used to detractors on this group
I have a Harley so I know about de tractors.

With me still?

Okay then,
Now we have surmised that the bike is somewhere between 1914 and 1925
Note that I said surmised, not proven,
all we have to do now is go through the heaps of photos and half photos of
Indians that are available
Either in my shed on on the Internet
I came up with this one in the archives and therefore believe that it MIGHT
be a 1917 Indian with a few modifications which were popular in those days
becauase of lack of factory supplied parts

have fun researching

frosty

jl

Jan 8, 2009, 6:48:19 AM1/8/09

<Woosh>

Read it again, note the shed reference. Joke Joyce, jeez.

JL

Jeff R.

Jan 8, 2009, 7:12:46 AM1/8/09
Bushy wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> You may want to try this web site and see if they have a picture
> identifying the bike.
>
> http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/index.htm
>
> Bushy

Thanks Bushy...
I'll have a good poke through that site...

--
Jeff R.

Jeff R.

Jan 8, 2009, 7:14:59 AM1/8/09
George W Frost wrote:
> Looks very much like a 1917 Indian Power Plus
> But could be wrong in the model designation
>
> http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk91/georgewfrost/cy1917-1f.jpg

Dam' good match, but I wonder about the guards.

Sheesh! I wish Granddad had put his foot on the ground so I could see the
engine!

--
Jeff R.

Jeff R.

Jan 8, 2009, 7:18:53 AM1/8/09
George W Frost wrote:

> Good, then that means that you are taking notice.......for once.
> Then given that the hand operated gear change is on the right hand
> side of the bike,
> most Indians, although not all of them, had the gear lever on the
> right hand side

Yo Baby!
Well spotted.
That *does* narrow it down.
(How'd I miss that bloody gear knob?)

> And there will be detractors out there who will disagree with me on
> that but I am used to detractors on this group
> I have a Harley so I know about de tractors.

Ooh ooh!
Good one!

> have fun researching

Thank you .
I will.

--
Jeff R
(the poor guy)

George W Frost

Jan 8, 2009, 9:02:39 PM1/8/09

"Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng> wrote in message

Another thing I forgot because of Old Timers Disease, was the headlight,
which is missing in the photo I put up, but is on your Grandfathers bike
They were all brass things, about 8" or so and usually highly polished, but
with your photo, it doesn't show the headlight much
But, it is of the shape with the little lens hood which was popular on the
Indian in those days .
Can't remember where I saw the photo of the headlight else I would link that

George W Frost

Jan 8, 2009, 9:27:25 PM1/8/09

"jl" <not-...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

What I have got in my shed is my fucking business and I do know what bikes I
have in my shed, so there is no need to search through them
What you fail to realise, little jl, is that Yeebok wouldn't realise what a
joke really is and unless you are a very special mate of his, then you would
know what he was talking about.
But, over the past few months, there has been some semblance of normality in
his posts, till he throws something like this into the mix and you, little
jl, seem to be the only one who knows what it supposed to mean. He made a
request " help the poor guy " and I replied that I already did, then you
come barging in like a Ron Barassi claiming that what Yeebok said was joke
Graham Kennedy is dead, no need to try and resurrect his punch line for your
own..

JL

Jan 8, 2009, 11:28:52 PM1/8/09
On Jan 9, 1:27 pm, "George W Frost" <georgewfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "jl" <not-h...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > George W Frost wrote:
> >> "Yeebok" <y...@yeeb.yeeb> wrote in message

<blink> Blimey, you really have no idea do you ? Do you want to run an
ausmoto straw poll as to whether anyone else understood what he meant
(ie did the rest of ausmoto read the above as 1: "a light hearted
extension of the ongoing banter about everything under the sun being
in your shed" (my interpretation) or 2. An uncalled attack on you as
being unhelpful when you were.

Anyone ? Bueller Bueller ?

Big. It's no longer Harsh Week, it's Woosh week !!

JL
(or can those two things co exist?)

George W Frost

Jan 8, 2009, 11:55:51 PM1/8/09

"JL" <jlit...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

As I said, that's my business and you're not getting into my shed to find
out what is there or not.

or 2. An uncalled attack on you as
being unhelpful when you were.

Anyone ? Bueller Bueller ?

Big. It's no longer Harsh Week, it's Woosh week !!

Woosh away little John Littler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JL
(or can those two things co exist?)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How the hell could anything co-exist with your logic ?

theo

Jan 9, 2009, 12:49:05 AM1/9/09
On Jan 9, 1:28 pm, JL <jlitt...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 1:27 pm, "George W Frost" <georgewfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "jl" <not-h...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > > Read it again, note the shed reference. Joke Joyce, jeez.

> > What I have got in my shed is my fucking business and I do know what bikes I

> > have in my shed, so there is no need to search through them
> > What you fail to realise, little jl, is that Yeebok wouldn't realise what a
> > joke really is and unless you are a very special mate of his, then you would
> > know what he was talking about.
> > But, over the past few months, there has been some semblance of normality in
> > his posts, till he throws something like this into the mix and you, little
> > jl, seem to be the only one who knows what it supposed to mean. He made a
> > request " help the poor guy " and I replied  that I already did, then you
> > come barging in like a Ron Barassi claiming that what Yeebok said was joke
> > Graham Kennedy is dead, no need to try and resurrect his punch line for your
> > own..
>
> <blink> Blimey, you really have no idea do you ? Do you want to run an
> ausmoto straw poll as to whether anyone else understood what he meant
> (ie did the rest of ausmoto read the above as 1: "a light hearted
> extension of the ongoing banter about everything under the sun being
> in your shed" (my interpretation) or 2. An uncalled attack on you as
> being unhelpful when you were.
>
> Anyone ? Bueller Bueller ?
>
> Big. It's no longer Harsh Week, it's Woosh week !!

Can I pick a straw?

Some people just don't get it. Thank (insert deity of choice) we get
rid of one GW in 11 days from now.

Theo

Message has been deleted

Iain Chalmers

Jan 9, 2009, 1:38:46 AM1/9/09
JL <jlit...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Big. It's no longer Harsh Week, it's Woosh week !!

Screw you, short-arse!

big (Beer sometime mate?)

--
Its now day 2027 of Harsh Week on Usenet
http://tinyurl.com/kfd1

George W Frost

Jan 9, 2009, 2:49:53 AM1/9/09

"theo" <th...@bekkers.com.au> wrote in message

Theo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe the other one Theo dear fellow, but not this little black duck

Bumblebeeman1150

Jan 9, 2009, 4:04:57 AM1/9/09
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:48:45 +1100, "Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng>
wrote:

It's British, hence lefthand chair, and I reckon its a 1922-23 AJS 7hp
v-twin, as it still has an acetylene headlamp. It was a sidevalve
engine of 800cc, with a three-speed hand-change gearbox.

Or I could be wrong...

Mr Bee

Jeff R.

Jan 9, 2009, 4:34:37 AM1/9/09

Bumblebeeman1150

Jan 9, 2009, 4:53:17 AM1/9/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:34:37 +1100, "Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng>
wrote:

The headlight suggests that the combination in the photo is even
earlier, maybe 1919-1920, but it has a saddle tank and some very
AJS-ish fittings, so the lamp might have been plucked from an older
bike to eliminate the need for a battery. There's only a rudementary
taillight, and a number plate appears to be optional! My money's still
on AJS. It would have only been a few years old in 1925, and looks
very similar to the mid-'20s models. I had a 1931 AJS Twin Port 500
single aeons ago (but not when they were new...).

Mr Bee

Johno

Jan 9, 2009, 5:09:59 AM1/9/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:34:37 +1100, "Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng>
wrote:

Pretty damned close mate :)

Johno

jl

Jan 9, 2009, 6:10:40 AM1/9/09

You frickin' idiot, nobody gives a rats arse what's in your shed - the
standing joke is supposedly everything ever made is in your joke - one
which you seemed to understand although I'm now starting to doubt. The
sense of humour shown made you briefly likeable - you're now heading
back to being a fucking moron again, which is rather boring.

> Big. It's no longer Harsh Week, it's Woosh week !!
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Woosh away little John Littler

Woohoo - you know my name - am I supposed to be impressed ? It's not
like it hasn't been on here a zillion times

JL
(well I guess when you feel the need to hide who you are you might put
stock in the importance of that)

jl

Jan 9, 2009, 6:12:17 AM1/9/09
Iain Chalmers wrote:
> JL <jlit...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> Big. It's no longer Harsh Week, it's Woosh week !!
>
> Screw you,

Eww,pass, no thanks.

>short-arse!
> big (Beer sometime mate?)

Yeah, we really should do an ausmoto ride and/or beers sometime.

JL

Knobdoodle

Jan 9, 2009, 7:39:41 AM1/9/09

"jl" <not-...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> You frickin' idiot, nobody gives a rats arse what's in your shed
> ......(snip exasperation)

Errm John, were you on holidays when I went through this exact same
banging-your-head-against-a-wall process (or did you imagine that you had
some special healing power that could penetrate cast-iron stupidity)?
Please just block the idiot and give us some peace.
Thanks ..... Clem

George W Frost

Jan 9, 2009, 10:10:45 AM1/9/09

"jl" <not-...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

You are the fucking idiot, you can't see when a joke is replied to with a
joke
But then again, it is you, so things have to be reorganised just for you.
Do try to keep up.

>> Big. It's no longer Harsh Week, it's Woosh week !!
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Woosh away little John Littler
>
> Woohoo - you know my name - am I supposed to be impressed ? It's not like
> it hasn't been on here a zillion times
>
> JL
> (well I guess when you feel the need to hide who you are you might put
> stock in the importance of that)

There you go again, you can't even see a joke when it is focused toward you

George W Frost

Jan 9, 2009, 10:16:47 AM1/9/09

"Knobdoodle" <knobd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You have surfaced again knobless ??
still having problems fixing minor problems with your bike?

Oh, I forgot,
You have appointed yourself King of this newsgroup therefore you can't do
wrong
Must be the manufacturer at fault.

Oops, forgot again, you have got me "killfiled" as you put it
so you won't read this
what a pity , you made yourself look an idiot when you replied with the
same message that I had posted two days earlier.

Someone wake the fool up

George W Frost

Jan 9, 2009, 10:21:24 AM1/9/09

"Johno" <var...@msn.com> wrote in message

A lot closer than my pick

Dale Porter

Jan 9, 2009, 7:57:22 PM1/9/09

"George W Frost" <george...@gmail.com> wrote

> You are the fucking idiot, you can't see when a joke is replied to with a
> joke

Nice back-pedaling.

Cheers,
Dale.

Yeebok

Jan 9, 2009, 8:10:15 PM1/9/09
Fuck me, I even put a smiley on it and referenced The Shed. You know the
one you joke about having 'everything' in it ? I just assumed you'd have
one of these in there too.

Yes I did notice you were the first person to provide 'concrete'
assistance. Hence the last bit being 'help the poor guy'.

George W Frost

Jan 9, 2009, 9:37:34 PM1/9/09

"Yeebok" <ye...@yeeb.yeeb> wrote in message

Soakay Yeebok....you need some help with something ??

jl

Jan 10, 2009, 2:04:03 AM1/10/09
Knobdoodle wrote:
> "jl" <not-...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> You frickin' idiot, nobody gives a rats arse what's in your shed
>> ......(snip exasperation)
>>
> Errm John, were you on holidays when I went through this exact same
> banging-your-head-against-a-wall process

Musta missed that one

>(or did you imagine that you had
> some special healing power that could penetrate cast-iron stupidity)?

Err no, the last week or two he seemed to have turned into a human so I
briefly gave him the benefit of the doubt.

> Please just block the idiot and give us some peace.

<sigh>

JL