WARNING - Getting a BMW serviced by Ray Peake ... take care

Clint Eastwood

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
HiYa

I thought that I'd post a word of warning here to those that have a BMW,
that they should take great care when getting any service done by Ray
Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.

I have a K75C that I bought recently off some woman, who had been
regularly taking her bike to Ray for service. He was systematicly
overservicing, and in many cases NOT supplying what he was charging for.

I have just had to replace a drive shaft, which was fitted by him while
the bike was owned by this woman. According to the recipts this was
fitted less than 15,000 Km ago. This drive shaft is possibly the
original, or at the very least one that was second hand, and passed off
as new.

This was done before the woman had intended to sell the bike. So unless
there is some conspiracy of forging recipts to make the bike look
serviced (also not particularly honest) then basicaly he was stealing
from her. Make sure its not you next.

--

See Ya
(when the bandwidth gets better ;-)

Adrian Hodgson

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

Clint Eastwood wrote:

> HiYa
>
> I thought that I'd post a word of warning here to those that have a BMW,
> that they should take great care when getting any service done by Ray
> Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.

<snip heresay>

It would be a good thing to have it confimed whether it was the seller
or the servicer who pulled the dodgy one before slagging either,
methinks.

Regards,
Adrian

Clint Eastwood

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
HiYa

In article <38729EF6...@au.oracle.com>, Adrian Hodgson

Sound advice ... of course asking either is not going to be productive,
as they will just deny it. However based on my assesment of the woman
that sold the bike, I don't think so, as she has _no_ mechanical
knowledge at all.

Logicaly (to me) it seems that there are these options

1 - The previous owner wants to off load a lemon, and so asks a repairer
to falsify the recipts (with official company letterhead and stamps) to
make it look as if the bike has been serviced. This now has involved the
dealer in a fraud.

2 - The previous owner genuinely paid for and had the shaft replaced,
then removed this and subsequently exchanged it with one that was worn
out. Why?? Also she doesn't have the ability, and or tools, this would
involve another party to assist and have an outlet for this part. This
is now becoming a rather complex hypothesis.

3 - The service person (knowing that she doesn't have a clue) does the
exchange with another part that he knows is used, and nearly beyond
service, and charges her for this.

This hypothesis is the simplest, and least elaborate.

Either way I have NOT slagged anyone, all I have done, is to report that
this has happened, and to advise that when dealing with this person,
that you should take care. Of course this implies that I think that the
person is NOT trust worthy.

I would hope that this NG is a place where people CAN honestly report
their experiences, so that others may benefit from this.

Clint Eastwood

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
HiYa

Ohhh ... for what it's worth.

<ahod...@au.oracle.com> wrote:

>Clint Eastwood wrote:
>>
>> HiYa
>>
>> I thought that I'd post a word of warning here to those that have a BMW,
>> that they should take great care when getting any service done by Ray
>> Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.
>
><snip heresay>

this isn't hearsay, it is my first hand experience, backed with evidence
and documentation ... perhaps its hearsay to you, but as a quotation
from me (in a posting this is a citation), its not hearsay.

reguards

Adrian Hodgson

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

Adrian Hodgson wrote:

> Clint Eastwood wrote:
> >
> > HiYa
> >
> > I thought that I'd post a word of warning here to those that have a BMW,
> > that they should take great care when getting any service done by Ray
> > Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.
>
> <snip heresay>
>
> It would be a good thing to have it confimed whether it was the seller
> or the servicer who pulled the dodgy one before slagging either,
> methinks.
>
> Regards,
> Adrian

"He was systematicly overservicing, and in many cases NOT supplying what
he was charging for."

mm.....

Regards,
Adrian

Clint Eastwood

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
HiYa

In article <3872AB46...@au.oracle.com>, Adrian Hodgson

Fair cop, I only have evidence of 2 things that were irregular, and I
have something like 5 recipts of his work. Perhaps I am expressing a
little emotively, rather than strictly logicaly. The question of
overservising is of course relative, its my opinion.

thanks for the grounder...

I am still pissed about the drive shaft though

Adrian Hodgson

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

Yeah to be honest, so would I be. How does it mono??

Regards,
Adrian

Clint Eastwood

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

well of course, being a shaft drive, we all know that it can't ...

[hasn't that line been done to death...]

Seriously though, I don't event try, I have a Ducati for that kind of
behaviour ;-)

Aaron

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

> Seriously though, I don't event try, I have a Ducati for that kind of
> behaviour ;-)

Are you a glutton for punishment?

Aaron
CBR250RR

Alan Pennykid

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
I dont know how to take this one, i've met Ray Peake
personally on numerous occasions and he's always seemed to
me like a fair sort of guy, who is a fairly careful
mechanic, i've had friends get work done( went there from
Sydney) there with no problems either. 15,000kms sure does
seem a short life for a shaft though, I take it the spline
packed it in. My wifes second K75s seemed to do(stripped
spline) hers every 30,000km approx (the first one never wore
a shaft out ever). One thing, was it a 16 toothed spline at
the rear or a 20 tooth, if it was a 16 tooth it certainly
wasnt new as you havent been able to get them for a few
years.

Al

Clint Eastwood <cjundie...@powerup.com.au> wrote in
message news:84u58n$mh...@inetbws1.citec.com.au...

> HiYa
>
> I thought that I'd post a word of warning here to those
that have a BMW,
> that they should take great care when getting any service
done by Ray
> Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.
>

> I have a K75C that I bought recently off some woman, who
had been

> regularly taking her bike to Ray for service. He was

systematicly
> overservicing, and in many cases NOT supplying what he was
charging for.

> I have just had to replace a drive shaft, which was fitted
by him while
> the bike was owned by this woman. According to the recipts
this was
> fitted less than 15,000 Km ago. This drive shaft is
possibly the
> original, or at the very least one that was second hand,
and passed off
> as new.
>
> This was done before the woman had intended to sell the
bike. So unless
> there is some conspiracy of forging recipts to make the
bike look
> serviced (also not particularly honest) then basicaly he
was stealing
> from her. Make sure its not you next.

Chris Eastwood

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
HiYa

yeah, I know, as I have also had my K100 serviced (back in 1988) by him
and I felt that he was quite fastidious, however I don't want to enter
into personality appraisals, as I think that this isn't relevant.

where do you get your detail?? wow ... I have the shaft here, and it's
got 20 teeth (I just counted them).

I suppose that I should temper what I have said with a follow up that
this could have more to it than meets the eye, though having said that,
I don't have any evidence for the defence.

I checked the recipts again, and the replacement was done at 94,000 Km
the bike has currently 112,097Km on the dial. WORTH NOTING is that the
DATE of the change of parts was 1996 ... yep this bike didn't do many
miles between now and then.

In article <84v33r$21b$1...@the-fly.zip.com.au>, "Alan Pennykid"

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer email ua.ude.ug.xobliam@doowtsae.c
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply
Ohhh ... you work all day, slave over a hot stove all night
yet you *still* have time for sadomasochism ... how do you do it?
A little man hurts me.
<ding>
Oh Mister Mean ... Oh Mister Mean
15 Minutes with him and you'll be blue and green
Studded belts and leather whips
Bondage trousers on his hips
Wack and punish as you dust with Mister Mean
Ohhhh he whips me around the house in minutes ... lets get cracking ...

Deevo

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Alan Pennykid <penn...@zip.com.au> wrote in message
<snip>

> Sydney) there with no problems either. 15,000kms sure does
> seem a short life for a shaft though, I take it the spline
> packed it in. My wifes second K75s seemed to do(stripped
> spline) hers every 30,000km approx (the first one never wore
> a shaft out ever). One thing, was it a 16 toothed spline at
> the rear or a 20 tooth, if it was a 16 tooth it certainly
> wasnt new as you havent been able to get them for a few
> years.

30,000 km for a driveshaft spline??? On a flaming Bimmer ????? One thing I
would have never thought as a failing item, hell as far as I am aware the
driveshaft in my eighteen year old twice around the clock Kwaka is the
original. Thanks for the info there. If I had a model with such a
seemingly common flaw it would be traded in on something else asap. Anyone
say Camira?
--
Deevo
Geraldton WA

CyberRider

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

Deevo <mcke...@nospammidwest.com.au> wrote in message

<<megs-snip to place comment out of context ;) >>

: seemingly common flaw it would be traded in on something else asap.
Anyone
: say Camira?

Okay - Camira you! ;)

(Okay Okay - 'tis pretty weak, but I needed a fix)

--
CyberRider (aka Scott Marshall)
http://cyberrider.homepage.com

Clint Eastwood

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
In article <84v97p$8ju$3...@quokka.wn.com.au>, "Deevo" <mcke...@nospammidwest.com.au> wrote:
>Alan Pennykid <penn...@zip.com.au> wrote in message
><snip>
>> Sydney) there with no problems either. 15,000kms sure does
>> seem a short life for a shaft though, I take it the spline
>> packed it in. My wifes second K75s seemed to do(stripped
>> spline) hers every 30,000km approx (the first one never wore
>> a shaft out ever). One thing, was it a 16 toothed spline at
>> the rear or a 20 tooth, if it was a 16 tooth it certainly
>> wasnt new as you havent been able to get them for a few
>> years.
>
>30,000 km for a driveshaft spline??? On a flaming Bimmer ????? One thing I
>would have never thought as a failing item, hell as far as I am aware the
>driveshaft in my eighteen year old twice around the clock Kwaka is the
>original. Thanks for the info there. If I had a model with such a
>seemingly common flaw it would be traded in on something else asap. Anyone
>say Camira?

I couldn't agree more .. I am told that even new K75S's from the factory
have been pulled apart (by the BMWorkshop) and they have had rust
starting. INMHO it's a pathetic bit of design. The factory SHOULD know
about this by now, and have put something together to prevent it (like
say a grease resivoir inside the shaft that would keep it lubed.

I wonder why it wasn't a problem for the older ones??

knite...@my-deja.com

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In article <84v97p$8ju$3...@quokka.wn.com.au>,
"Deevo" <mcke...@nospammidwest.com.au> wrote:
> Alan Pennykid <penn...@zip.com.au> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > Sydney) there with no problems either. 15,000kms sure does
> > seem a short life for a shaft though, I take it the spline
> > packed it in. My wifes second K75s seemed to do(stripped
> > spline) hers every 30,000km approx (the first one never wore
> > a shaft out ever). One thing, was it a 16 toothed spline at
> > the rear or a 20 tooth, if it was a 16 tooth it certainly
> > wasnt new as you havent been able to get them for a few
> > years.
>
> 30,000 km for a driveshaft spline??? On a flaming Bimmer ????? One
thing I
> would have never thought as a failing item, hell as far as I am aware
the
> driveshaft in my eighteen year old twice around the clock Kwaka is the
> original. Thanks for the info there. If I had a model with such a
> seemingly common flaw it would be traded in on something else asap.
Anyone
> say Camira?
> --
I have a 1984 BMW K 100 RS, and the Driveshafyt spline ate itself at 67
000 K's. In all fairness, I can't testify as to the condition of the
spline when I got the bike, and don't know what abuse had been heaped
upon it. I have also been warned (now !!) not to touch K series
Bimmers prior to 1987, as they are buggy....... I have a had a few
problems with mine, THATS for sure (So if anyone is having some
esoteric electrical problems, let me know, as I have probably already
experienced them !!)

KniteRider a.k.a Dale
mailto:dale.kno...@bigfoot.com
http://www.bigfoot.com/~dnakp

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Olive

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Chris,

I was very interested in your criticism of Mr Peake, you say that he was
"systematically overservicing" and "in many cases not supplying what he was
charging for" yet you only mention your problem with a drive shaft. could
you please detail for us your other accusations that justify the use of
"systematically and in many cases"

John Olive (BMW R1100S)

"Clint Eastwood" <cjundie...@powerup.com.au> wrote in message
> HiYa
>
> I thought that I'd post a word of warning here to those that have a BMW,
> that they should take great care when getting any service done by Ray
> Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.
>
> I have a K75C that I bought recently off some woman, who had been
> regularly taking her bike to Ray for service. He was systematicly
> overservicing, and in many cases NOT supplying what he was charging for.
>
> I have just had to replace a drive shaft, which was fitted by him while
> the bike was owned by this woman. According to the recipts this was
> fitted less than 15,000 Km ago. This drive shaft is possibly the
> original, or at the very least one that was second hand, and passed off
> as new.
>
> This was done before the woman had intended to sell the bike. So unless
> there is some conspiracy of forging recipts to make the bike look
> serviced (also not particularly honest) then basicaly he was stealing
> from her. Make sure its not you next.

Clint Eastwood

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
John

as was pointed out by another fellow, and I followed up, I was perhaps a
little overzealous with my remarks. However I have recipts (given to the
previous owner) to indicate that he changed oils and filters, and
shims/gaskets. Looking at the condition of the present ones that were in
the bike, they were just not done.

The service intervals have been something like every 5000 Km, and the
bike has done less than 10,000 since it's last service, yet 3 shims were
in need of replacement. my experience on my Ducati is that I can go for
something like 20,000 with all of the shims staying in place.

Proving my suggestions about overservicing is not something that I could
do, as this would require more evidence than I have at hand.

My major issue (the rest are really a matter of opinion about how often
oils/filters should be changed) is with the drive shaft, which I was
surprised to find in bad repair. Looking at the recipts the crown and
pinion gear was replaced as well, and the bill for that was something
like $1500 ... I was surprised that on a bike that has EVERY service in
the owners manual stamped, and seems to have done small milage (at that
time <96,000Km) that the previous owner should have had to perform
these kinds of major items maintainence. I was more surprised that one
of the parts had failed so soon after this.

In article <46Rc4.8761$oJ5....@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "John Olive"

marti...@my-deja.com

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In article <84u58n$mh...@inetbws1.citec.com.au>,
cjundie...@powerup.com.au (Clint Eastwood)
wrote:

> HiYa
>
> I thought that I'd post a word of warning here
to those that have a BMW,
> that they should take great care when getting
any service done by Ray
> Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.

I have known Ray and had work done by him for
over 5yrs. I also know the previous owner of
your bike. When I read your diatribe, my first
reaction was to leap to Ray's defence. But I
didn't, I did what YOU should have done before
shooting off your mouth. I spoke to Ray - he has
a right to know his good name is being slandered
in a public forum. Ray's not on the 'net so
asked that I pass a couple of things on. This is
as best I remember, so any errors should be
considered mine.
I suggest you check the receipts for the work
done on the final drive of your bike, because the
drive shaft was NOT replaced, only the crown
wheel and pinion gear. The driveshaft is the
probably the original. It's certainly the same
one that was in it when its previous owner bought
it. And considering the bike has sat in a
seaside environment, virtually unridden (due to
the owner's illness) for about 18mths, I'd be
looking at rust as the likely culprit for
driveshaft failure.

And you were aware of the bike's lack of use
before you bought it.

> I have a K75C that I bought recently off some
woman, who had been
> regularly taking her bike to Ray for service.
He was systematicly
> overservicing, and in many cases NOT supplying
what he was charging for.

Justify this statement. Ray has a standard
servicing schedule of 5000km oil service and
15000km major service for most BMWs, certainly
the modern ones. Yes, this is more often than
BMW recommends but it's still the owners choice
as to when servicing is done. And he has enough
high-mileage customers to prove the worth of that
schedule. He uses non_BMW consumables in some
instances, where the quality is comparable and it
saves his customer money. This is not hidden.
Likewise, if he has a good second-hand major part
available he will offer it.

Think about how we relate to the service staff
who work on our bikes. We literally trust them
with our lives. I have no problem trusting Ray
with mine. How many of you say the same for
who's servicing your bike now?

I've tried (and probably failed) to be not-too-
emotive in my reply. But it irritates me greatly
to see one of the few good service people dragged
through the mud without being informed of a
problem or given a chance to defend himself. And
you know what, when I informed Ray of what you'd
said about him, he STILL wanted to help you. I
don't think you deserve it. Dingbat indeed...

Martin
Canberra

Alan Pennykid

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00

Chris Eastwood <c.undies...@mailbox.gu.edu.au> wrote in
message news:84vakj$nmc$1...@kraken.itc.gu.edu.au...
> HiYa
>

> where do you get your detail?? wow ... I have the shaft
here, and it's

> got 20 teeth (I just counted them).

A 20 tooth shaft could possibly be new, they are available.
Where did I get that detail, I've just been around BMWs for
a while, between my wife and I we've had 7: 2 K100RTs(one
currently stripped(naked) with sidecar), 2 K75s's, an
R100GS, an R1100GS and an R1100R. We still have 2 of those.

Outside of normal servicing, there's been 3 clutchs(2
R11slipping, one 75s with a stripped centre), 1X gearbox
bearings(K100), 3 X driveshafts replaced(K100, R100GS), 1 X
2nd hand diff(75s), 1X rear end bearings(K100), 1 X stripped
fifth gear(plus all bearing replaced)(R100GS). I have no
false illusions as to the toughness and absolute reliability
of BMW running gear, no matter what the journos keep saying.

> I checked the recipts again, and the replacement was done
at 94,000 Km
> the bike has currently 112,097Km on the dial. WORTH NOTING
is that the
> DATE of the change of parts was 1996 ... yep this bike
didn't do many
> miles between now and then.

How well does the speedo work?

My sidecar says 128,454 but I know that its done at least
twice that(I remember when it stopped August 94)

Al

Alan Pennykid

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
It wasnt a common flaw, It was suspected that on this bike
there was a machining fault in the swing arm which put the
drive shaft spline out of alignment, but you're right we
dont have that bike any more. The last shaft that failed we
were nearly 2000km from home, with the nearest dealer about
600km away. Now that was fun (not).

Al

John Olive

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00

> My major issue is with the drive shaft, which I was

> surprised to find in bad repair. Looking at the recipts the crown and
> pinion gear was replaced as well, and the bill for that was something
> like $1500 >

Are you sure that the drive shaft is on the receipt, and not just the
crownwheel and pinion ?

John Olive

Clint Eastwood

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
HiYa

In article <%eUc4.8904$oJ5....@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "John Olive"

I think so ... there's lots on that one, and it's splintered across 2
invoices. The owner told me that it was replaced.

John Olive

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Chris

I dropped into Ray Peake's workshop today and inspected the carbon copies of
the receipts for your bike as your accusations were most serious and as a
longstanding customer of Mr Peake I was understandably concerned.

The driveshaft was not on the receipt, and in fact the bill for $1,500
included
about $1,100 in parts inclusive of a crownwheel and pinion, new tyres and
various other items. A full breakdown of the list is available to any
interested party.

Clearly you have attacked this mans reputation on the false presumption that
a driveshaft was replaced and paid for.

It is my opinion that you owe Mr Peake an unreserved and immediate apology.

A prompt apology may reduce the likelihood of a libel action from Mr Peake's
solicitor, although I understand that Mr Peake is consulting his legal
adviser this afternoon.

I have had three BMW's serviced and maintained by Mr Peake over the past 7
years, a 1990 K1, a 1991 R100RS and my current 1998 R1100S. During this time
I have found his workmanship and ethics to be of the highest order and I
have no hesitation in recommending his services.

Should you wish to apologise I can assist by talking to Mr Peake on your
behalf, or being present at the time, as his mood at the moment is not
conducive to a rational discussion on this topic.

John Olive

"Clint Eastwood" <cjundie...@powerup.com.au> wrote in message

Clint Eastwood

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
John

I will be in contact with you.

In article <3nVc4.8949$oJ5....@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "John Olive"

<jol...@onaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>Chris
>
>I dropped into Ray Peake's workshop today and inspected the carbon copies of
>the receipts for your bike as your accusations were most serious and as a
>longstanding customer of Mr Peake I was understandably concerned.
>
>The driveshaft was not on the receipt, and in fact the bill for $1,500
>included
>about $1,100 in parts inclusive of a crownwheel and pinion, new tyres and
>various other items. A full breakdown of the list is available to any
>interested party.
>
>Clearly you have attacked this mans reputation on the false presumption that
>a driveshaft was replaced and paid for.

It seems that I am mistaken about which parts were replaced, and that I
have upon getting the unexpected news that a part that I was (it appears
falsly) under the apprehension was recently replaced had failed.

>It is my opinion that you owe Mr Peake an unreserved and immediate apology.

It was never my intention to make false accusations, or to bring
anyone's name into bad repute falsely. I have nothing to benefit from
this, and certainly NO ill feeling or personal issue with Mr Peake

I don't doubt that you are correct in this issue, so without hesitation
I would like to offer my most sincere apology to Mr Peake. I am very
sorry to have caused undue distress caused by my running off half cocked
without the full facts at hand.

I made a mistake, and I regret not waiting to fully investigate my
feelings, before making a public statement.

Shaw Goh

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
...and they all live happliy after :)

Clint Eastwood <cjundie...@powerup.com.au> wrote in message

Clem Doherty

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00

marti...@my-deja.com wrote;
(snip)

> I have known Ray and had work done by him for
> over 5yrs.

(snip)
Funnily enough, Ray's reputation has now blossomed on this group because of
Chris's post; although that wasn't his initial intention.
I guess that quality DOES speak for itself.
(I almost wish I had a BMW so I could get a damn good servicing myself!)
Clem

Alan Pennykid

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00

Clem Doherty <clemd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> (I almost wish I had a BMW so I could get a damn good
servicing myself!)
> Clem

it would take a lot more than that Clem

Al

KnightRider

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In article <850jan$mh...@inetbws1.citec.com.au>,

cjundie...@powerup.com.au (Clint Eastwood) wrote:
> In article <84v97p$8ju$3...@quokka.wn.com.au>, "Deevo"
<mcke...@nospammidwest.com.au> wrote:
> >Alan Pennykid <penn...@zip.com.au> wrote in message
> ><snip>
> >> Sydney) there with no problems either. 15,000kms sure does
> >> seem a short life for a shaft though, I take it the spline
> >> packed it in. My wifes second K75s seemed to do(stripped
> >> spline) hers every 30,000km approx (the first one never wore
> >> a shaft out ever). One thing, was it a 16 toothed spline at
> >> the rear or a 20 tooth, if it was a 16 tooth it certainly
> >> wasnt new as you havent been able to get them for a few
> >> years.
> >
> >30,000 km for a driveshaft spline??? On a flaming Bimmer ????? One
thing I
> >would have never thought as a failing item, hell as far as I am
aware the
> >driveshaft in my eighteen year old twice around the clock Kwaka is
the
> >original. Thanks for the info there. If I had a model with such a
> >seemingly common flaw it would be traded in on something else asap.
Anyone
> >say Camira?
>
> I couldn't agree more .. I am told that even new K75S's from the
factory
> have been pulled apart (by the BMWorkshop) and they have had rust
> starting. INMHO it's a pathetic bit of design. The factory SHOULD
know
> about this by now, and have put something together to prevent it
(like
> say a grease resivoir inside the shaft that would keep it lubed.
>
> I wonder why it wasn't a problem for the older ones??
>
> --
>
> See Ya
> (when the bandwidth gets better ;-)
> Chris Eastwood Please remove undies for
reply
> Photographer, Stunt Programmer
> Motorcyclist and dingbat

It was a problem - I sent a post earlier...... my 84 K100RS ate it's
shaft at 67 000. I have since been informed that pre - 87 models were
dogs........
--
Dale Knoote-Parke
'84 BMW K 100 RS

Zebee Johnstone

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In aus.motorcycles on Thu, 6 Jan 2000 22:50:06 +1100

O h I dunno - all those driveshafts lying about.... If you
can;t wheelie using them you have to find something else to do!

Zebee

Deevo

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
And I'm sure we are all going to be interested to here where this one goes
to also.

--
Deevo
Geraldton WA

Clint Eastwood

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

Martin

please refer to my posted apology

In article <851lkg$em0$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, marti...@my-deja.com wrote:
>In article <84u58n$mh...@inetbws1.citec.com.au>,
> cjundie...@powerup.com.au (Clint Eastwood)
>wrote:

>> HiYa
>>
>> I thought that I'd post a word of warning here
>to those that have a BMW,
>> that they should take great care when getting
>any service done by Ray
>> Peake who works out of his home near Coomera.
>>

>I have known Ray and had work done by him for

>over 5yrs. I also know the previous owner of
>your bike. When I read your diatribe, my first

I would have hardly called it a diatribe ...

>reaction was to leap to Ray's defence. But I
>didn't, I did what YOU should have done before
>shooting off your mouth. I spoke to Ray - he has
>a right to know his good name is being slandered

You are right, I had intended to call him and make this enquiry before
posting, however I didn't know what that would achieve. It was a mistake
to make my post before checking the facts fully again, and my memory has
proven faulty on this issue. It was not my intention to slander, as I
said I made a mistake, and I had NO intention to dishonestly bring
anyone into bad repute. I have personal experience with being ripped off
(perhaps you have too) and I have a strong reaction to seeing it happen
to others. Women are all too often the target for this, and I had
wrongly thought that this was something that had happened in this
instance. I was simply reporting this to a forum of people that I had
thought may be interested.

Part of public free speech is to be open to critisism, as well as to say
what you think. Whem my mistake was pointed out by interested parties, I
immediately acknowledged my mistake, and apologised. Perhaps you have
not made a mistake before, so possibly you can't understand my position.

I am personally embarrased by this, but I am not so arrogant as to
deny my error.

>in a public forum. Ray's not on the 'net so
>asked that I pass a couple of things on. This is
>as best I remember, so any errors should be
>considered mine.

I wonder if you will be as willing to pass on my regret at making this
mistake, and your knowledege that I have made an unreserved apology?

>it. And considering the bike has sat in a
>seaside environment, virtually unridden (due to

well it's hardly seaside out at Nerang and it's in a locked sealed
garage too ...

>Think about how we relate to the service staff
>who work on our bikes. We literally trust them
>with our lives. I have no problem trusting Ray

precisely the point that motivated me to make my original post, perhaps
you'll not I didn't say "don't go there" or some other derrogatory
remark, I just said "take care".

>I've tried (and probably failed) to be not-too-
>emotive in my reply. But it irritates me greatly
>to see one of the few good service people dragged
>through the mud without being informed of a
>problem or given a chance to defend himself. And

I don't have the benefit of your experience, so for me he's just another
person who services bikes. If what is said by anyone fails to stand up
to scruitny, then it should be overturned. I believe in healthy debate,
where people can objectively discuss something and point the failings or
merits of what is put foward. This process has occured here.

In the future I'd also feel that I was free to put foward information
that I believed to be correct. I am sure that I'll make greater efforts
to ensure that I am right before opening my keyboard though!!

Reguards

Chris

martin g

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
On Fri, 07 Jan 2000 00:32:15 GMT, cjundie...@powerup.com.au (Clint
Eastwood) wrote:

>Martin
>
>please refer to my posted apology

Yep

>You are right, I had intended to call him and make this enquiry before
>posting, however I didn't know what that would achieve. It was a mistake
>to make my post before checking the facts fully again, and my memory has
>proven faulty on this issue. It was not my intention to slander, as I
>said I made a mistake, and I had NO intention to dishonestly bring
>anyone into bad repute.

" He was systematicly overservicing, and in many cases NOT supplying
what he was charging for"

"This drive shaft is possibly the original, or at the very least one
that was second hand, and passed off as new."

"So unless there is some conspiracy of forging recipts to make the
bike look serviced (also not particularly honest) then basicaly he was
stealing from her."

"3 - The service person (knowing that she doesn't have a clue) does
the exchange with another part that he knows is used, and nearly
beyond service, and charges her for this."

Whatever your intention, you gave Ray's good name a right kicking.
You didn't check your facts at all. And I think you will find that
libel is libel no matter what your intention. You didn't express an
opinion, you spouted "facts" which proved to be erroneous.

>I have personal experience with being ripped off
>(perhaps you have too)

I'm sure that most of us have been ripped off at some time or another.
You still take up your problem at its source before launching into a
character assasination.

>Part of public free speech is to be open to critisism, as well as to say
>what you think. Whem my mistake was pointed out by interested parties, I
>immediately acknowledged my mistake, and apologised. Perhaps you have
>not made a mistake before, so possibly you can't understand my position.

Hey, I posted a bogus virus warning onto a septic newsgroup once, I
know the meaning of humility now....

>I am personally embarrased by this, but I am not so arrogant as to
>deny my error.
>
>>in a public forum. Ray's not on the 'net so
>>asked that I pass a couple of things on. This is
>>as best I remember, so any errors should be
>>considered mine.
>
>I wonder if you will be as willing to pass on my regret at making this
>mistake, and your knowledege that I have made an unreserved apology?

Ray is aware of your apology. As you saw, he has many loyal customers
and friends who've kept him apprised of what has occured here. I
still think it would sound best coming personally from you.

>>it. And considering the bike has sat in a
>>seaside environment, virtually unridden (due to
>
>well it's hardly seaside out at Nerang and it's in a locked sealed
>garage too ...

Anywhere on the Gold Coast is a bastard for rust. Sea breezes ya
know.

>perhaps
>you'll not I didn't say "don't go there" or some other derrogatory
>remark, I just said "take care".

!!!! See quotes above! What do you consider derogatory? What's the
worst thing you can accuse a small one-man business of? Dishonesty.

>I don't have the benefit of your experience, so for me he's just another
>person who services bikes.

Perhaps you should consider that personal apology. No bike of mine
will ever see the inside of another mechanic's workshop if I can help
it. And I've been to most of the alternatives in your area and I
can't recommend any of them.

>In the future I'd also feel that I was free to put foward information
>that I believed to be correct. I am sure that I'll make greater efforts
>to ensure that I am right before opening my keyboard though!!

You can't always be 100% right (that's reserved for my wife) but
fergodsake be a bit circumspect.

>Reguards
>
>Chris

His number's on the receipts. Ball's in your court.
regards
Martin
Canberra

Clem Doherty

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

Zebee Johnstone wrote;

~

> >it would take a lot more than that Clem
~

> O h I dunno - all those driveshafts lying about.... If you
> can;t wheelie using them you have to find something else to do!
~
Zebee; I'm shocked! I feel like I've just sat on Santa's lap to find him
"turgid".
Next I'll find out that Paddington has a bear bum!
Clem

Clint Eastwood

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00

In article <85g158$2b7$1...@news1.mpx.com.au>, "adg1982"
<adg...@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
>Mate,
> To say i am pissed of about this message is a understatement.

sorry about your tender sensibilities ...

>Ray has serviced my K100rs for the last ten years without any problems . The
>bike has done 306.000k,s.

Fair comment, I'm glad that you were happy with the service, and are
accordingly providing the good word of mouth service that you feel that
he deserves, I'd do the same.

> .... I have had two shafts replaced in this time at a
>cost of a couple of hundred dollars each.(both second hand units).

thats interesting ... I'm finding that they seem to be quite a high
failure part ... thanks for the info, it backus up what Allan said about
current BM service limmits. I spoke to Ray myself, and he mentioned that
(if the Uni Joint is OK) that he can press out the spline section and
replace it .. that sounds like a good service. In fact I wish I had know
about it before I had purchased a new replacement, it's lots cheaper.

>the problem with shafts going is the previous owners not getting them
>serviced reguarly.

.. so you are saying that your's went (twice I think) because you
didn't get it serviced properly?

> ARE YOU LISTENING CLINT. Don't blame the mech for the
>ladies lack of serviceing skills.

Well no, I'm reading it .... perhaps you didn't read the threads, the
lady wasn't servicing, she was taking it to Ray, you will note that the
thread didn't say serviced by previous lady owner.

>You should be very careful clint who reads this newsgroup because i am a
>very good friend of Ray's and if i was standing next to you at he moment i
>would put my hand so far up your f#***#en arse I 'd turn your heart of for
>you.
>

> Simon Lovelock.

Grow up Simon ... you just shot all your previous statemnts value to
hell, I thought that you were making some emotive responces in a
reaslonable post, in an attemp to correct my mistaken impression, but
youve just blown the cred you had. I am always willing to listen to
reason, threats belong in the gutter.

If you are so inclined to thuggery and violence, perhaps you should get
a bike more in keeping with that mentality ...

adg1982

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Mate,
To say i am pissed of about this message is a understatement.

Ray has serviced my K100rs for the last ten years without any problems . The
bike has done 306.000k,s. I have had two shafts replaced in this time at a
cost of a couple of hundred dollars each.(both second hand units).Usually

the problem with shafts going is the previous owners not getting them

serviced reguarly.ARE YOU LISTENING CLINT. Don't blame the mech for the
ladies lack of serviceing skills."Yes" Ray has over serviced my bike over
the last ten years. But deary me, he has also undercharged me for all my
work.