Dogs as pillions

1 view

Vak

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Well I dont have any kids (YET) so thought Id ask if any tuthers have taken
their mut for a ride.

Many moons ago (still in my 250cc days) I used to cart my doggy around on
the front of the bike. It was a half breed Lab so it wasn't exactly a
small dog but it still managed to fit. The dog would sort lie on the tank
with its front legs either side. The only drama that ever occured was when
she managed to get her front paw between the tank and handle bars at a slow
speed full lock turn. It let out a big yelp and jumped off (lucky it was at
walking pace)

The dog seemed to enjoy that form of transport but I was a little awkward
and distracting at times...

Grandmaster Bonk

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Does a rat count as a pillion? Used to take my rat with me sometimes....she
didn't seem to mind, although I used to have to take her in a little canvas
bag thingo....

As for dogs, well, I have a Hungarian Viszla at the moment so I don't think
I'll be trying to fit HIM on the tank!!

Bonk
'99 ZX7R

GORider

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Vak wrote:

> Well I dont have any kids (YET) so thought Id ask if any tuthers have taken
> their mut for a ride.

http://www.imagine-it.com.au/ausmoto/events/jeffride5.jpg

Cheers
John
--
_--_|\ John Lamp, PO Box 309, Torquay 3228
/ \ IRC:GOR...@aus.moto DoD#:1906 Ulysses#:10185 1000GTR

Alan Pennykid

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Yep, I've travelled with my dog, 'Spike' (Fox
Terrier/long-haired Chihuahua Xbred) on various bikes for
the last 12 years. He's been to every state in Australia by
bike and to over 100 rallies, even got his pic in the one
and only "Rallyman" magazine. He always used to travel on
the tank, (in a bag or just on some sort of surface he could
get grip on), or in the gearsack during winter, so I could
keep him rugged up and warm. Nowadays he's always in the
gearsack as the screen on the VTR is too low for him and he
cops all the wind in his face if he rides on the tank. My
wife also has a Foxy that rides on her R1100R, she went to
her first rally at 7 weeks old. It is easier if you start
training them into it early, some dogs get frightened by the
noise.

Al

Vak <V...@ic.net> wrote in message

> Well I dont have any kids (YET) so thought Id ask if any
tuthers have taken
> their mut for a ride.

Ian

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99

Vak <V...@ic.net> wrote in message news:7vgp79$p9f$1...@the-fly.zip.com.au...
> Well I dont have any kids (YET) so thought Id ask if any tuthers have
taken
> their mut for a ride.

I took my 3 month old Blue Heeler Bonny to the "All Crusted Out" Jump show
(Perth)put on by Seth n co a few months back. She was in my back pack and
just stuck her head out inthabreeze. She loves wheelies too and the XR-400
with her adding extra kilo's over the back wheel made em a tad easier. My
Red heeler x Dood used to ride on my YZ80 years ago.Hes 15 and a bit old now
but still barks when I kick the bike into life. Yeah they love the breeze as
much as humans :)

Ian

Kevin Gleeson

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
I've had a dog on my VF1000R years ago riding along Few Boulevarde
around midnight. He was between me and a mate on the pillion seat - he
loved it. Leaning into the turns, having a great time watching the
sparks :-)

Cheers

- - - - - - -
Kevin Gleeson
Imagine It
3D animation and graphics
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

ke...@imagine-it.com.au
http://www.imagine-it.com.au

aus.motorcycles bike page
http://www.imagine-it.com.au/ausmoto
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kevin Gleeson

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Argghhh bloody spell checkers, I hit Change all accidentally instead
of Ignore all and Kew became Few :-)

ke...@imagine-it.com.au (Kevin Gleeson) wrote:

>I've had a dog on my VF1000R years ago riding along Few Boulevarde
>around midnight. He was between me and a mate on the pillion seat - he
>loved it. Leaning into the turns, having a great time watching the
>sparks :-)

- - - - - - -

Adrian Xavier

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
My last dog, Agostini, was a Cattle X Bull Terrier. This dog was amazing, if
I did not take the dog on a ride, sure enough it would be beside at the
first set of lights from my place. I'd move a leg and it would jump up on
the tank of my YZF600. Stini, would usually throw all legs over to one side
after about 15 minutes and casually sprawl over the tank. Interesting at
100klms. I think the biggest thing I learnt during our partnership was to
IGNORE THE DOG and ride.

Agostini is no longer with me anymore, it went AWOL when I went to the 500GP
in 97.
Such is life I suppose...

Adrian
RGV250T

"Vak" <V...@ic.net> wrote in message news:7vgp79$p9f$1...@the-fly.zip.com.au...
> Well I dont have any kids (YET) so thought Id ask if any tuthers have
taken
> their mut for a ride.

Theo Bekkers

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99

Kevin Gleeson <ke...@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in message

> Argghhh bloody spell checkers, I hit Change all accidentally instead
> of Ignore all and Kew became Few :-)

Tell your spellchecker to ignore words with capitals. Works for me.

Cheers

Theo

Ted Palmer

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
"Vak" <V...@ic.net> wrote:

>Well I dont have any kids (YET) so thought Id ask if any tuthers have taken
>their mut for a ride.

When it comes to dogs and pillions, who among aus.moto long-termers
can forget our old friend Tony Payne:
http://www.arbld.unimelb.edu.au/~mtc/moto/tonypics/tonyandmuzz.jpg

also:
http://www.arbld.unimelb.edu.au/~mtc/moto/tonypics/tonyandmuzzbw.jpg
which made it into print but I forget where.

Mister_T
Mister_T

"Like a bolt of lightning from the sky comes Honda's CBX750, the
fastest, brawniest 750 we've ever tested." Two Wheels, April 1984
--
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\
| RC17 KLR600 Roces BCN FreeBSD 2.2.5-R NT4W (ugh) |

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
"Theo Bekkers" <th...@bekkers.com.au> wrote:

The spell checker in Agent doesn't appear to be that clever.
It's set to ignore words in all caps, but not starting with cap.

Cheers

Martin Taylor

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
Alan Pennykid said..

AP> Yep, I've travelled with my dog, 'Spike' (Fox
AP> Terrier/long-haired Chihuahua Xbred) on various bikes for
AP> the last 12 years. He's been to every state in Australia by

I haven't even tried to put Ralphie, a jack russell on the tank. Hell,
he hates riding with me on the ride on mower. He was a tad nervous when
I took him out on the jetski (PWC type) once. I think that he loved the
swim to shore a lot better....

Damn dog takes after his mother (human). Prefers to go for a drive in
the car...

.. Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work

MJT

Take a "p" out of gipps for an email reply

Gippsland, Victoria, Australia