Old Bike Journos Never Die, they just....

Martin Taylor

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
A question for the older crowd. Anyone know what happened to the
following bike journos:

Justin D'Ath - Cycle Australia (I think)
Julian Scullin - CA
Kel Wearne - TW
Mac Douglas - TW
Peter Thoeming - Bike Australia

I cut my teeth on these fellows' bike articles when I was a young 'un.
It would be interesting to see if they're still around (alive, in the
industry, riding, etc.).

.. Jesus saves. The Pope invests..
MJT

Take a "p" out of gipps for an email reply

Gippsland, Victoria, Australia

Eric

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
I thought Peter Thoeming moved on to a 4X4 or Car Mag....(can't be sure
though)

Martin Taylor <mta...@gipps.com.au> wrote in message

Ross Slade

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Martin Taylor <mta...@gipps.com.au> wrote:
> A question for the older crowd. Anyone know what happened to the
> following bike journos:

> Kel Wearne - TW

Rusty memories...but wasn't Kel killed in a road accident?

> Peter Thoeming - Bike Australia

Currently editing 'Bike' (I think, anyway, it's one of the expensive
4 issues per year bike mags for old people)

-Ross

<http://www.fl.net.au/~rosco> [ICQ No. 9391313]
[change borg to org to reply by email]

Love is in the offing.
-- The Homicidal Maniac

GORider

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Eric wrote:

> I thought Peter Thoeming moved on to a 4X4 or Car Mag....(can't be sure
> though)

Nah, the Bear is still around - has his own mag Australian Road Rider
(don't confuse with Australian Rider, which folded) aimed at touring
riders - and a bloody good read!

Often writes for Ulysses as well! You'll also see him doing bike reviews
in motor sections of newspapers

Cheers
John
--
_--_|\ John Lamp, PO Box 309, Torquay 3228
/ \ IRC:GOR...@aus.moto DoD#:1906 Ulysses#:10185 1000GTR

Spam? Why worry? http://www.internz.com/SpamBeGone/

GORider

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Ross Slade wrote:

> Martin Taylor <mta...@gipps.com.au> wrote:
> > Peter Thoeming - Bike Australia
>
> Currently editing 'Bike' (I think, anyway, it's one of the expensive
> 4 issues per year bike mags for old people)

Oi, I resemble that! BTW it's Australian Road Rider

Ross Slade

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
GORider <John...@deakin.edu.au> wrote:
> Ross Slade wrote:
>>
>> Martin Taylor <mta...@gipps.com.au> wrote:
>> > Peter Thoeming - Bike Australia
>>
>> Currently editing 'Bike' (I think, anyway, it's one of the expensive
>> 4 issues per year bike mags for old people)

> Oi, I resemble that! BTW it's Australian Road Rider

That's ok, I read it too...quite interesting and good to get away from the
Dainese coffee shop crowd.

-Ross

<http://www.fl.net.au/~rosco> [ICQ No. 9391313]
[change borg to org to reply by email]

In love, she who gives her portrait promises the original.
-- Bruton

GORider

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
Ross Slade wrote:

> GORider <John...@deakin.edu.au> wrote:
> > Oi, I resemble that! BTW it's Australian Road Rider
>
> That's ok, I read it too...quite interesting and good to get away from the
> Dainese coffee shop crowd.

I like that "Get out of ..." series. The one on how to get from Melb to
Sydney via the interesting roads that the Hume doesn't touch was great.
Must do that soon!

Theo Bekkers

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00

GORider wrote

> Often writes for Ulysses as well! You'll also see him doing bike reviews
> in motor sections of newspapers

In WA we regularly get Thoemig's articles in the Sunday Times motorcycle
section.

Cheers

Theo

Bruce Campbell

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00

GORider wrote:

> Ross Slade wrote:
> >
> > GORider <John...@deakin.edu.au> wrote:
> > > Oi, I resemble that! BTW it's Australian Road Rider
> >
> > That's ok, I read it too...quite interesting and good to get away from the
> > Dainese coffee shop crowd.
>
> I like that "Get out of ..." series. The one on how to get from Melb to
> Sydney via the interesting roads that the Hume doesn't touch was great.
> Must do that soon!

Until recently I had a house in Cooma that I had to visit fairly
regularly from Sydney. Its amazing how many different routes you can
find from Sydney to Cooma if you're not in a hurry (and you don't mind
the odd bit of dirt road). The same applies to most other destinations.

If you're planning the Mel-Syd trip, I recommend the road from Buchan to
Jindabyne - slow but scenic. Good dirt. Then, when you get to Jindabyne,
take the back roads to Adaminaby, then over the Snowy Mnt Hwy to Tumut
(life is tuff!). If, you're really serious, take the back roads from
Tumut to Crookwell, then thru Abercrombie caves to Bathurst, or thru
Oberon to Bathurst - either is a good trip. I can guarantee you won't
run into much traffic.

Bruce Campbell

MuZ 450 Desmo

Shaun Johnston

May 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/20/00
I'll second that!
Australian Road Rider is the only mag I bother to subscribe to so as to not
miss a single issue, largely due to "The Bear"'s Fine editorial input and
direction.

Shaun
em...@spiderweb.com.au

"GORider" <John...@deakin.edu.au> wrote in message

> Eric wrote:
> >
> > I thought Peter Thoeming moved on to a 4X4 or Car Mag....(can't be sure
> > though)
>
> Nah, the Bear is still around - has his own mag Australian Road Rider
> (don't confuse with Australian Rider, which folded) aimed at touring
> riders - and a bloody good read!
>

> Often writes for Ulysses as well! You'll also see him doing bike reviews
> in motor sections of newspapers

jason.p...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2017, 4:45:48 PM12/5/17
Kel Wearne committed suicide aged 71 in Broome, WA on 1st/2nd December 2017 during full moon.

RIP Kel, great biker and kindred spirit.

On Thursday, May 18, 2000 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Martin Taylor wrote:
> A question for the older crowd. Anyone know what happened to the
> following bike journos:
>
> Justin D'Ath - Cycle Australia (I think)
> Julian Scullin - CA
> Kel Wearne - TW
> Mac Douglas - TW
> Peter Thoeming - Bike Australia

Bill_h

Dec 5, 2017, 9:49:23 PM12/5/17
On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:45:47 -0800 (PST), jason.p...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Kel Wearne committed suicide aged 71 in Broome, WA on 1st/2nd December 2017 during full moon.
>
>RIP Kel, great biker and kindred spirit.

Snip

Bugga, I liked his writing. I particuraly remember an article he wrote
on the then new MkIIa Norton Commando, ridden and tested on the GOR.

RIP
Bill_h
650 Sertao