They told me it would cark it.

35 views
Skip to first unread message

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 6, 2017, 5:19:38 AM6/6/17
to
In 2011 when I bought my Hyosung GV650C the 'experts' here told me
they were shit and that it would crap itself in no time flat.

Well, it's been 6 years, the thing runs excellently, looks like new
(it sleeps in the garage and I only ride it on short trips and only in
fine weather), and I'm very happy with it.

Just sayin' ...


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Rheilly Phoull

unread,
Jun 6, 2017, 8:44:53 AM6/6/17
to
So how would it be if you used it properly ??

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 17, 2017, 8:02:20 AM6/17/17
to
On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 20:45:46 +0800, Rheilly Phoull
<rhe...@bigslong.com> wrote:

> On 6/6/17 5:19 PM, Diogenes wrote:
> > In 2011 when I bought my Hyosung GV650C the 'experts' here told me
> > they were shit and that it would crap itself in no time flat.
> >
> > Well, it's been 6 years, the thing runs excellently, looks like new
> > (it sleeps in the garage and I only ride it on short trips and only in
> > fine weather), and I'm very happy with it.
> >
> > Just sayin' ...

> So how would it be if you used it properly ??

Define "properly".

=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Rheilly Phoull

unread,
Jun 17, 2017, 9:35:11 AM6/17/17
to
So I'm not down on the make but fair weather riding isn't exactly a test
of a bike.
It should be able to be a daily ride to compare it to all the available
bikes .

Zebee Johnstone

unread,
Jun 17, 2017, 5:35:40 PM6/17/17
to
In aus.motorcycles on Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:36:25 +0800
Rheilly Phoull <rhe...@bigslong.com> wrote:
> On 6/17/17 8:02 PM, Diogenes wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 20:45:46 +0800, Rheilly Phoull
>> <rhe...@bigslong.com> wrote:
>>> On 6/6/17 5:19 PM, Diogenes wrote:
>>>> Well, it's been 6 years, the thing runs excellently, looks like new
>>>> (it sleeps in the garage and I only ride it on short trips and only in
>>>> fine weather), and I'm very happy with it.
>>> So how would it be if you used it properly ??
>> Define "properly".
>
> So I'm not down on the make but fair weather riding isn't exactly a test
> of a bike.
> It should be able to be a daily ride to compare it to all the available
> bikes .

Also has to get some miles up generally. Most bikes are fine for the
first 15k or so.

My Guzzi Norge's first[1] major issue was an alternator (bloody Japanese
rubbish....) at about 75,000km. So when the Hyosung has that many up,
then it can be a "reliable bike"

I would definitely want to see how it is ridden in all weathers, and
in different styles of riding. Short trips are usually a test of
electrics and how the motor copes with cold running, but stop start
traffic is more of a test than down to the shops.

A bike that's done say 15k of 2km trips without problems is a
reasonably good bike but not a very good one till it has had no issues
at 30k because at 15k it's not had a chance to really wear.

Zebee

[1] the 2nd one is the dashboard can show a service light for no
reason. Started doing that at just over 80k. I'll get it fixed one
day. Not riding it much now so it will take a while for it to get to
the magic hundred and get the birthday cosmetic fixups I've been
promising it.


Diogenes

unread,
Jun 18, 2017, 5:44:36 AM6/18/17
to
Responding to both RP and ZJ with this one:

Both of you make valid points.

My point is that the bike has more than adequately proved "fit for
purpose" given my usage profile. For me, that's all I need to know.

It looks as good, if not better than any Harley cruiser, handles fine,
has more than enough speed, an air horn (Stebel) shifts wayward
traffic, still looks/feels/performs brand new (not a trace of rust or
corrosion), and it was less than half the price of a Harley. Grunt?
I don't crave it. Why would I not be happy?

In case you're interested, it's done 17,600km since 2011, I ride it
about 16kms per average trip, and only in fine weather (I hate
cleaning all that chrome, and I'm done with all that wet/cold
masochism - at 71yo I don't see the point - I did more than enough
long distance touring in the 70s, 80s and early 90s - I have nothing
more to prove) I'm happy to grow old gracefully. ;-)
=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 18, 2017, 6:00:23 AM6/18/17
to
One more thing: Almost every time I stop somewhere, someone
comes up and compliments the bike.

The best one was recently when a couple in their 60's was walking
along the footpath - he didn't seem interested, but she (who wasn't
bad looking at all) came over, and, slightly louder than was
necessary, expressed awe at the bike. (I suspect it was to make her
husband(?) jealous.) He looked slightly impatient and peeved. I
thanked her and /nearly/ offered her a ride (but thought it better not
to be _that_ evil.) ;-)


On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 19:44:46 +1000, Diogenes
<diog...@terracotta.urn.gr> wrote:

> Responding to both RP and ZJ with this one:
>
> Both of you make valid points.
>
> My point is that the bike has more than adequately proved "fit for
> purpose" given my usage profile. For me, that's all I need to know.
>
> It looks as good, if not better than any Harley cruiser, handles fine,
> has more than enough speed, an air horn (Stebel) shifts wayward
> traffic, still looks/feels/performs brand new (not a trace of rust or
> corrosion), and it was less than half the price of a Harley. Grunt?
> I don't crave it. Why would I not be happy?
>
> In case you're interested, it's done 17,600km since 2011, I ride it
> about 16kms per average trip, and only in fine weather (I hate
> cleaning all that chrome, and I'm done with all that wet/cold
> masochism - at 71yo I don't see the point - I did more than enough
> long distance touring in the 70s, 80s and early 90s - I have nothing
> more to prove) I'm happy to grow old gracefully. ;-)

=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Fred Kroft

unread,
Jun 20, 2017, 7:55:05 AM6/20/17
to
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 20:00:34 +1000, Diogenes wrote:

> The best one was recently when a couple in their 60's was walking along
> the footpath - he didn't seem interested, but she (who wasn't bad
> looking at all) came over, and, slightly louder than was necessary,
> expressed awe at the bike.

Did you hear them over your Seibel ?. They were probably taking the
piss :P

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 20, 2017, 10:06:07 PM6/20/17
to
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 11:55:04 +0000 (UTC), Fred Kroft
<fr...@crapwheelie.com.au> wrote:

> They were probably taking the piss :P

Ahhh, the Kroft Troll is back... Are you familiar with the term
"projection"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

I explain: You are an obsessive compulsive piss taker and you
project this onto others by assuming that they are taking the
piss.

Clear? ;-)


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 20, 2017, 10:07:59 PM6/20/17
to
An R65 with an R80 motor? I wish I'd thought of that when I had my
R65.

I regret not having kept my R80. :-(


On 18 Jun 2017 22:26:01 GMT, "Blue Peeler" <wo...@barque.org> wrote:

> Diogenes wrote:
>
> > One more thing: Almost every time I stop somewhere, someone
> > comes up and compliments the bike.
> >
>
> I spent a bit of time on the weekend working on my wife's bike, nothing
> dramatic, just usual yearly major service and fitting a battery tender
> point and a couple of discretely placed USB outlets to it.
>
> Sometime between when I started on Friday and when I finished yesterday
> a blasted wasp began to make a nest in the exposed end of the fuel
> hose. Foolishly I cleaned it out by flexing the hose to break the nest
> up and then "whipping" the end of the hose against the frame. As events
> would play out I failed to get all the wasp mud out.
>
> When I went off for the test ride yesterday afternoon I didn't get very
> far before a carb began to overflow due to wasp dirt under the needle
> and seat - annoying but not a big problem on a BMW, turn fuel off,
> stop, remove float bowl and discard contents, turn fuel back on and
> jiggle the floats until the grit cleared and the needle began sealing
> again.
>
> Unfortunately it took several stops to clear all the dirt out of the
> system. On the last stop I pulled up under a convenient tree
> overhanging the highway and was halfway through the process when a
> couple of twenty-somethings and their girlfriends pulled up on Harleys.
>
> They very kindly asked if I was OK, I checked to make sure they weren't
> smoking and explained that I was OK and would be back on the road in a
> couple of minutes.
>
> One of the girls then said, "that is a beautiful bike, what is it?" I
> explained that it is a 1979 BMW R65 (it has had an R80 engine since
> 1987, but that's just fine detail). She then said that I must be very
> proud of it to keep it in such beautiful condition and enquired how
> long I had owned it.
>
> I explained that it is in fact my wife's bike, she bought it new from
> Orm Snell BMW in Townsville in 1979. The girls in particular were
> really impressed by that.
>
>
> We are often complimented on our bikes when we are out and about, for
> "old" bikes I can choose between my own 84 R65 or 78 R100RS. (I do
> also have a 91 Kawasaki KLE500, but the less said about that thing the
> better)......
>
>

=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 21, 2017, 12:16:21 AM6/21/17
to
On 21 Jun 2017 03:16:10 GMT, "Blue Heeler" <wo...@barque.org> wrote:

> Diogenes wrote:

> > An R65 with an R80 motor? I wish I'd thought of that when I had my
> > R65.
> >
> > I regret not having kept my R80. :-(

> The R80 is the sweetest running airhead boxer and the 1987-on R80 are
> the best of the R80 engines.
>
> For the record swapping the engines is pretty much a "bolt up" affair,
> the major problems were:-
>
> 1987 engine has "skeleton" flywheel and the 1979 r65 gearbox needed the
> old pre-1981 clutch assembly.
>
> R65 exhaust pipes are smaller that R80, as expensive Staintune pipes
> were on the R65, we cut the ends off the headers and welded a correctly
> sized piece to the end to match the R80 heads. The extra width of the
> R80 engine resulted in the exhaust pipes being mildly out of position
> which has caused ongoing minor annoyances with side and centre stands.
>
> The bike looked a little silly with R65 crashbars on it (the rockers
> stuck out about 1/2" beyond the bars, but it was only last year we
> finally got around to fitting a set of R80 crash bars.
>
> The R65 low ration final drive means that the engine is pulling a few
> more revs than it needs to, it has always been a toss-up as to whether
> the final drive would be replaced with a 32:10 or a high ratio 5 gear -
> I promised myself that whichever needed rebuilding first would be the
> deciding factor - but both the original final drive and original
> gearbox are both trucking along.
>
> Instead my R65 (with 850cc kit) has got both a 32:10 rear and the high
> ratio 5th gear (and a GPS speedo to get around the ratio problem).

Impressive. I realise now that I would have needed to take it to
someone with some mechanic's skills. "I don't work on 'em, I just
ride 'em." ;-)

Another thing I like about the Hyosung is the belt drive. No mess. No
maintenance. Quiet. Beautiful.



=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Zebee Johnstone

unread,
Jun 21, 2017, 12:50:31 AM6/21/17
to
In aus.motorcycles on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:16:33 +1000
Diogenes <diog...@terracotta.urn.gr> wrote:
>
> Another thing I like about the Hyosung is the belt drive. No mess. No
> maintenance. Quiet. Beautiful.
>

That was the thing I liked most about my GPz250: belt drive.

These days I have shafts of course, except for the Yellow Devil, and
the Devil doesn't get out much these days[1]

I have been pondering what I should get if the Noggie needs replacing
(sometime in the next 100,000 km) as there are a lot of nice smallish
bikes about. But they all have chains and I Don't Wanna!

Zebee

[1] Wanted: an Adelaide based bike exerciser who can cope with left
foot kickstart, right foot gearchange, drum brakes, and is under 5'10"
tall. To take a bike out for runs in the Adelaide hills where it will
hold its own with most and embarass a fair few as long as the rider
fully understands the concept of 'corner speed' and isn't one of these
modern types who thinks you go round corners by speeding in a straight
line, braking hard, trickling round, then opening up again.


Diogenes

unread,
Jun 21, 2017, 4:54:47 AM6/21/17
to
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:50:30 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone
<zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been pondering what I should get if the Noggie needs replacing
> (sometime in the next 100,000 km) as there are a lot of nice smallish
> bikes about. But they all have chains and I Don't Wanna!

OK, so the question is what bikes are out there with belt drives?

> [1] Wanted: an Adelaide based bike exerciser who can cope with left
> foot kickstart, right foot gearchange, drum brakes, and is under 5'10"
> tall. To take a bike out for runs in the Adelaide hills where it will
> hold its own with most and embarass a fair few as long as the rider
> fully understands the concept of 'corner speed' and isn't one of these
> modern types who thinks you go round corners by speeding in a straight
> line, braking hard, trickling round, then opening up again.

What do you mean by "bike exerciser"? Is that someone who bench
presses bikes - or someone who chases after bikes on running shoes?


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Zebee Johnstone

unread,
Jun 21, 2017, 7:08:13 AM6/21/17
to
In aus.motorcycles on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:55:00 +1000
Diogenes <diog...@terracotta.urn.gr> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:50:30 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone
><zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been pondering what I should get if the Noggie needs replacing
>> (sometime in the next 100,000 km) as there are a lot of nice smallish
>> bikes about. But they all have chains and I Don't Wanna!
>
> OK, so the question is what bikes are out there with belt drives?

Mostly Hoglys I think. Or other cruisers. I am not into cruisers, I
hate the riding position.

>
>> [1] Wanted: an Adelaide based bike exerciser who can cope with left
>> foot kickstart, right foot gearchange, drum brakes, and is under 5'10"
>> tall. To take a bike out for runs in the Adelaide hills where it will
>> hold its own with most and embarass a fair few as long as the rider
>> fully understands the concept of 'corner speed' and isn't one of these
>> modern types who thinks you go round corners by speeding in a straight
>> line, braking hard, trickling round, then opening up again.
>
> What do you mean by "bike exerciser"? Is that someone who bench
> presses bikes - or someone who chases after bikes on running shoes?

Someone who takes the bike out for a bit of exercise. Gets the oil
flowing and the pipes warm and keeps the tyres supple.

Like a dog walker but a lot faster and without the little plastic
bags.

Zebee

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 22, 2017, 3:48:08 AM6/22/17
to
[chuckle] Are you saying you want someone to take _your_ bike out for
a bit of 'exercise'?

I could never bring myself to let others ride any bike I owned. It's
trust issue.


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Zebee Johnstone

unread,
Jun 22, 2017, 5:02:15 AM6/22/17
to
In aus.motorcycles on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 17:48:21 +1000
With the Devil it does come down to "If you can start it you can ride
it".

There are not many who pass that exam.

I did have to limit tries because of a drongo whose only kickstart
experience was a 2 stroke so he was slamming the kickstart lever hard
into the compression stroke and I didn't like the stress on the bearings.

Zebee
-who then usually has to demonstrate that the Devil is a sweet easy
starter If You Know What You Are Doing.

Diogenes

unread,
Jun 22, 2017, 7:46:38 AM6/22/17
to
On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 09:02:14 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone
<zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In aus.motorcycles on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 17:48:21 +1000
> Diogenes <diog...@terracotta.urn.gr> wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 11:08:12 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone
> ><zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Someone who takes the bike out for a bit of exercise. Gets the oil
> >> flowing and the pipes warm and keeps the tyres supple.
> >>
> >> Like a dog walker but a lot faster and without the little plastic
> >> bags.
> >
> > [chuckle] Are you saying you want someone to take _your_ bike out for
> > a bit of 'exercise'?
> >
> > I could never bring myself to let others ride any bike I owned. It's
> > trust issue.
>
> With the Devil it does come down to "If you can start it you can ride
> it".
>
> There are not many who pass that exam.
>
> I did have to limit tries because of a drongo whose only kickstart
> experience was a 2 stroke so he was slamming the kickstart lever hard
> into the compression stroke and I didn't like the stress on the bearings.
>
> Zebee
> -who then usually has to demonstrate that the Devil is a sweet easy
> starter If You Know What You Are Doing.

You've always struck me as being to your motorcycles what Richard Bach
was to his aircraft in the book "Illusions" - i.e. awsome.


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Gary Woodman

unread,
Jun 30, 2017, 4:35:46 AM6/30/17
to
On 21/06/17 18:55, Diogenes wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:50:30 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone
> <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been pondering what I should get if the Noggie needs replacing
>> (sometime in the next 100,000 km) as there are a lot of nice smallish
>> bikes about. But they all have chains and I Don't Wanna!
>
> OK, so the question is what bikes are out there with belt drives?

All of BMW's recent shafties have been too large, too heavy, and too
expensive... hence the old aircooled twins have got expensive as well...

So I did the next best thing and bought an F650CS... not the GS
dual-purpose with chain drive, but the CS with belt drive. A couple of
others in the F series have belt drive as well.

And Hoglys. And I think a little Kwaka, GPX250 maybe, had belt drive.

Gary

Diogenes

unread,
Jul 1, 2017, 12:16:24 AM7/1/17
to
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 18:35:45 +1000, Gary Woodman <ga...@home.net.au>
wrote:
I didn't know BMW made belt drive bikes. The current model F800GT
would interest me if I could heal my lower back problems and not need
a cruiser for healthier ergonomics. Yeah, if I were 30 years younger
and still into touring I'd give this a serious viewing.

http://www.bmwmotorrad.com.au/au/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorrad.com.au/au/en/bike/tour/2016/f800gt/f800gt_overview.html


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Zebee Johnstone

unread,
Jul 1, 2017, 3:21:44 AM7/1/17
to
In aus.motorcycles on Sat, 01 Jul 2017 14:16:38 +1000
Diogenes <diog...@terracotta.urn.gr> wrote:
> I didn't know BMW made belt drive bikes. The current model F800GT
> would interest me if I could heal my lower back problems and not need
> a cruiser for healthier ergonomics. Yeah, if I were 30 years younger
> and still into touring I'd give this a serious viewing.

I think the last time I looked at the F series they were taller than I
wanted. I dunno I want to replace the two storey sized monster
Noggie[1] with something as tall but with less go but maybe they
aren't as tall as I remember.

Zebee

[1] Not, I point out, as tall as the Quota which all who have
clambered onto it believe should come with a stepladder

Sandgroper

unread,
Jul 9, 2017, 3:08:08 AM7/9/17
to
So the bike sits in your garage for 80% of the time doing nothing ?

No wonder it has lasted so long , it a fine weather and weekend bike.

:P

--

Sandgroper
--------------------------------------------
Save planet Earth !
It's the only place that has Pizza and Beer

Diogenes

unread,
Jul 9, 2017, 3:59:45 AM7/9/17
to
On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 15:08:02 +0800, Sandgroper
<woodb...@DROPKNICKERSgmail.com> wrote:


> So the bike sits in your garage for 80% of the time doing nothing ?
>
> No wonder it has lasted so long , it a fine weather and weekend bike.
>
> :P

You puttin' shit on my bike? Should I now start abusing you by
calling you a troll and a dickhead? ;-)))


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Sandgroper

unread,
Jul 9, 2017, 4:04:59 AM7/9/17
to
Just saying that it seems you don't use the bike very much and it is
still in good condition and has no normal wear and tear on it from daily
usage.

Diogenes

unread,
Jul 9, 2017, 4:26:19 AM7/9/17
to
On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 16:04:52 +0800, Sandgroper
<woodb...@DROPKNICKERSgmail.com> wrote:

> On 09-Jul-17 4:00 PM, Diogenes wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 15:08:02 +0800, Sandgroper
> > <woodb...@DROPKNICKERSgmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> So the bike sits in your garage for 80% of the time doing nothing ?
> >>
> >> No wonder it has lasted so long , it a fine weather and weekend bike.
> >>
> >> :P
> >
> > You puttin' shit on my bike? Should I now start abusing you by
> > calling you a troll and a dickhead? ;-)))

> Just saying that it seems you don't use the bike very much and it is
> still in good condition and has no normal wear and tear on it from daily
> usage.

Given my requirements, it was/is good value. Imagine if I'd spent
three times as much on a Hardly. Now _that_, IMHO, would a have been
a complete waste of money. Just sayin... ;-)))

Horses for courses...


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Sandgroper

unread,
Jul 10, 2017, 1:24:44 AM7/10/17
to
Yeah , the Hardlys are mostly overpriced stump pullers and tractors that
all have a teeny tiny 10 litre fuel tank , so you are mostly paying for
the name , and not really for the quality.

Me , I ride a 2007 M50 Boulevard , got it second hand with only 15ks on
the clock and would have cost me at least half the price of a Hardly
for the same year and mileage.

Diogenes

unread,
Jul 10, 2017, 2:55:57 AM7/10/17
to
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:24:35 +0800, Sandgroper
Very nice! But I hope you can forgive me when I say that I prefer my
GV650C. :-)


=================
Onya bike...

Gerry

Alan Pennykid

unread,
Feb 7, 2018, 5:06:55 AM2/7/18
to
On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 19:19:38 UTC+10, Diogenes wrote:
> In 2011 when I bought my Hyosung GV650C the 'experts' here told me
> they were shit and that it would crap itself in no time flat.
>
> Well, it's been 6 years, the thing runs excellently, looks like new
> (it sleeps in the garage and I only ride it on short trips and only in
> fine weather), and I'm very happy with it.
>
> Just sayin' ...
>
>
> =================
> Onya bike...
>
> Gerry

Very good Gerry

Rheilly Phoull

unread,
Feb 12, 2018, 12:25:08 AM2/12/18
to
heh heh that must be your annual rejoinder ?? :-)

Diogenes

unread,
Feb 19, 2018, 7:05:33 PM2/19/18
to
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 02:06:53 -0800 (PST), Alan Pennykid
<alan.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 19:19:38 UTC+10, Diogenes wrote:
> > In 2011 when I bought my Hyosung GV650C the 'experts' here told me
> > they were shit and that it would crap itself in no time flat.
> >
> > Well, it's been 6 years, the thing runs excellently, looks like new
> > (it sleeps in the garage and I only ride it on short trips and only in
> > fine weather), and I'm very happy with it.
> >
> > Just sayin' ...

> Very good Gerry

G'day Alan. Good to see a post from you in here. How are things?

=================
Onya bike...

Gerry
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages