Publishing past photos.

Peter Jason

Dec 27, 2021, 4:17:43 PM12/27/21
Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.

I want to put them up on instagram.

Do I need the school's permission?

Do I need the permission of the students featured therein?

Can I be sued off the planet if I ignore all permissions?

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2021, 4:48:58 PM12/27/21
Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote

> Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.

> I want to put them up on instagram.

> Do I need the school's permission?

Nope.

> Do I need the permission of the students featured therein?

Nope.

> Can I be sued off the planet if I ignore all permissions?

Nope, and you are already completely off the planet anyway.

A few people have been doing lots of that in one of our local facebook
groups and I haven't even seen a single comment by anyone objecting.
Quite a few say which child was them and naming others with the
photos that don't name most of the kids.

Sylvia Else

Dec 27, 2021, 6:58:46 PM12/27/21
On 28-Dec-21 8:17 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.

Did you take the photographs?

Sylvia.

Peter Jason

Dec 27, 2021, 9:17:42 PM12/27/21
On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:58:44 +1100, Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid>
wrote:
I took many, but not all.
I have given copies to the school "archive department".

How many years must pass before I can scan & publish the old school
journals, in pdf, with OCR for searching?

Peter Jason

Dec 27, 2021, 9:23:07 PM12/27/21

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:48:52 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote
>
>> Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.
>
>> I want to put them up on instagram.
>
>> Do I need the school's permission?
>
>Nope.
>
>> Do I need the permission of the students featured therein?
>
>Nope.
>
>> Can I be sued off the planet if I ignore all permissions?
>
>Nope, and you are already completely off the planet anyway.

Tsk!

>A few people have been doing lots of that in one of our local facebook
>groups and I haven't even seen a single comment by anyone objecting.
>Quite a few say which child was them and naming others with the
>photos that don't name most of the kids.

Is there a legal distinction between open sites & those requiring an
ID/password? Is there protection in demanding that the reader
"register" before viewing?

Sylvia Else

Dec 27, 2021, 9:50:30 PM12/27/21
It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were originally
published, and considerably longer if the authors of the journals are
identifiable. Unless you get the permission of the copyright holder -
probably the school.

For the photographs you took, you will hold the copyright unless you
transferred ownership to someone else. You can publish the photographs
you hold the copyright on.

To publish the others, you would need to get the permission of the
copyright holders.

Sylvia.

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2021, 10:36:01 PM12/27/21
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
> Peter Jason wrote

>> Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.

> Did you take the photographs?

Doesn’t matter if he did or not.

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2021, 10:38:10 PM12/27/21
Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote
> Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
>> Peter Jason wrote

>>> Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.

>> Did you take the photographs?

> I took many, but not all.

> I have given copies to the school "archive department".

> How many years must pass before I can scan & publish
> the old school journals, in pdf, with OCR for searching?

None, zero, nada, not one.

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2021, 10:41:16 PM12/27/21
Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote

>>> Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.

>>> I want to put them up on instagram.

>>> Do I need the school's permission?

>> Nope.

>>> Do I need the permission of the students featured therein?

>> Nope.

>>> Can I be sued off the planet if I ignore all permissions?

>>Nope, and you are already completely off the planet anyway.

> Tsk!

Sucking your teeth like that is so 1950s.

>> A few people have been doing lots of that in one of our local
>> facebook groups and I haven't even seen a single comment by
>> anyone objecting. Quite a few say which child was them and
>> naming others with the photos that don't name most of the kids.

> Is there a legal distinction between open
> sites & those requiring an ID/password?

Nope.

> Is there protection in demanding that
> the reader "register" before viewing?

Nope.

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2021, 10:43:48 PM12/27/21
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
> Peter Jason wrote
>> Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
>>> Peter Jason wrote

>>> Did you take the photographs?

>>> Sylvia.

>> I took many, but not all.
>> I have given copies to the school "archive department".

>> How many years must pass before I can scan & publish
>> the old school journals, in pdf, with OCR for searching?

> It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were originally
> published, and considerably longer if the authors of the journals are
> identifiable. Unless you get the permission of the copyright holder -
> probably the school.
>
> For the photographs you took, you will hold the copyright unless you
> transferred ownership to someone else. You can publish the photographs
> you hold the copyright on.
>
> To publish the others, you would need to get the permission of the
> copyright holders.

Wrong as always with school class photos. Those have
an implied right to copy and post anywhere you like.

Sylvia Else

Dec 27, 2021, 11:25:26 PM12/27/21
Cite?

Sylvia.

Phil Allison

Dec 27, 2021, 11:47:27 PM12/27/21
Sylvia Else wrote:
=============

> It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were originally
> published, and considerably longer if the authors of the journals are
> identifiable. Unless you get the permission of the copyright holder -
> probably the school.

** Schools usually employ an outside photographer to take such photos.
Copyright remains with them unless transferred in writing to the school.

> To publish the others, you would need to get the permission of the
> copyright holders.

** Gonna be impossible to find the ( likely dead ) photographer or anyone that know what the deal was.

In any case, the school pic is not being used for commercial purposes - " fair usage " is not a breach of copyright.

..... Phil

Rod Speed

Dec 28, 2021, 12:18:12 AM12/28/21
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
>>> Peter Jason wrote

>>> It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were originally
>>> published, and considerably longer if the authors of the journals are
>>> identifiable. Unless you get the permission of the copyright holder -
>>> probably the school.
>>>
>>> For the photographs you took, you will hold the copyright unless you
>>> transferred ownership to someone else. You can publish the photographs
>>> you hold the copyright on.
>>>
>>> To publish the others, you would need to get the permission of the
>>> copyright holders.

>> Wrong as always with school class photos. Those have an implied right to
>> copy and post anywhere you like.

> Cite?

Don’t need a cite for that, just have enough of
a clue to realise that when kids were always free
to pay for their own copy of their class photo,
that implied right has always been there.

It may have been different in that soggy little
frigid island you had enough sense to leave,
but that the way it has always been here.

Rod Speed

Dec 28, 2021, 12:22:09 AM12/28/21
Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote
> Sylvia Else wrote

>> It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were
>> originally published, and considerably longer if the authors
>> of the journals are identifiable. Unless you get the permission
>> of the copyright holder - probably the school.

> Schools usually employ an outside photographer to take such photos.
> Copyright remains with them unless transferred in writing to the school.

That’s a separate issue to posting copys of them now given
the implied right we have always had with class photos.

>> To publish the others, you would need to
>> get the permission of the copyright holders.

That’s just plain wrong.

> Gonna be impossible to find the ( likely dead )
> photographer or anyone that know what the deal was.

> In any case, the school pic is not being used for commercial
> purposes - " fair usage " is not a breach of copyright.

And what you are proposing doing is clearly fair use.

Sylvia Else

Dec 28, 2021, 12:27:10 AM12/28/21
Merely being non-commercial doesn't make it a fair use.

In practice, of course, Peter is unlikely to get sued for non-commercial
use of old school journals and photographs. The worst that will come to
pass is a cease and desist letter. But he could find that he's wasted a
lot of effort.

Sylvia.

Phil Allison

Dec 28, 2021, 12:51:02 AM12/28/21
Sylvia Else wrote:
============

> > ** Gonna be impossible to find the ( likely dead ) photographer or anyone that know what the deal was.
> >
> > In any case, the school pic is not being used for commercial purposes - " fair usage " is not a breach of copyright.
> >

> Merely being non-commercial doesn't make it a fair use.

** But being non commercial AND of historical interest of just a tiny few DOES.

> In practice, of course, Peter is unlikely to get sued

** Peter is 100% paranoid - period.

FSS the wog idiot took nearly all the pics himself,

to hey are NOT " school photos" they are HIS photos.

..... Phil

Rod Speed

Dec 28, 2021, 1:13:06 AM12/28/21
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
> Phil Allison wrote
>> Sylvia Else wrote

>>> It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were originally
>>> published, and considerably longer if the authors of the journals are
>>> identifiable. Unless you get the permission of the copyright holder -
>>> probably the school.
>>>
>> ** Schools usually employ an outside photographer to take such photos.
>> Copyright remains with them unless transferred in writing to the
>> school.
>>
>>> To publish the others, you would need to get the permission of the
>>> copyright holders.
>>
>> ** Gonna be impossible to find the ( likely dead ) photographer or
>> anyone that know what the deal was.
>>
>> In any case, the school pic is not being used for commercial purposes - "
>> fair usage " is not a breach of copyright.

> Merely being non-commercial doesn't make it a fair use.

But its fair use anyway with a school class photo.

> In practice, of course, Peter is unlikely to get sued for non-commercial
> use of old school journals and photographs. The worst that will come to
> pass is a cease and desist letter.

Taint gunna happen with old school class photos.

> But he could find that he's wasted a lot of effort.

Bullshit with old school class photos.

jonz@ nowhere.com

Dec 28, 2021, 2:22:39 AM12/28/21
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I`ve been putting old school pics. on line for years, as have others from the schools I attended. Absolutely *no* problems. (One of them was a very *large* institution)

> Sylvia.

Max

Dec 28, 2021, 3:25:02 AM12/28/21
On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 12:50:30 PM UTC+10, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 28-Dec-21 1:17 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:58:44 +1100, Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid>
> > wrote:

> >> Did you take the photographs?
> >>
> >> Sylvia.
> >
> > I took many, but not all.
> > I have given copies to the school "archive department".
> >
> > How many years must pass before I can scan & publish the old school
> > journals, in pdf, with OCR for searching?
> It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were originally
> published, and considerably longer if the authors of the journals are
> identifiable.

Why does it matter whether the author of the journal is identifiable? Isn't 70 years the duration of copyright regardless?

Sylvia Else

Dec 28, 2021, 3:28:44 AM12/28/21
On 28-Dec-21 7:25 pm, Max wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 12:50:30 PM UTC+10, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 28-Dec-21 1:17 pm, Peter Jason wrote:

>>> I took many, but not all.
>>> I have given copies to the school "archive department".
>>>
>>> How many years must pass before I can scan & publish the old school
>>> journals, in pdf, with OCR for searching?
>> It's going to be at least 70 years after the journals were originally
>> published, and considerably longer if the authors of the journals are
>> identifiable.
>
> Why does it matter whether the author of the journal is identifiable? Isn't 70 years the duration of copyright regardless?

For an identifiable author, it's 70 years from the death of the author.

Sylvia.

Max

Dec 28, 2021, 3:43:09 AM12/28/21
What happens if the author is a government department, or a company?

Sylvia Else

Dec 28, 2021, 4:26:41 AM12/28/21
I think that the answer is that this is not possible. The author is
always either one or more natural persons. They may have transferred
their rights to their employer, or other entity, but they remain the
author, and the persistence of the copyright depends on whether they
have died, and if so, when.

Of course, in many cases where an employee was the author, it's entirely
possible that, some years downstream, it is no longer possible to
identify the author.

Sylvia.

Peter Jason

Dec 28, 2021, 3:58:35 PM12/28/21
............I'm a bit confused.
But I'll do as I want then wait for the cease/desist letter, then
reconsider. Rod should try climbing out of his playpen.

Phil Allison

Dec 28, 2021, 4:54:05 PM12/28/21
Peter Jason = fake name wrote:
===========================

> >Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.
> >
> >I want to put them up on instagram.
> >
> >Do I need the school's permission?
> >
> >Do I need the permission of the students featured therein?
> >
> >Can I be sued off the planet if I ignore all permissions?
> >

> ............I'm a bit confused.

** ROTFLMAO !!!

Totally Fucked in the Head is the actual truth.

First - your own paranoid thinking confuses you.
The above also prevents you composing a rational question.

So all posted answers are rendered meaningless.
Bugger off.

..... Phil

Rod Speed

Dec 28, 2021, 7:37:13 PM12/28/21
Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote
> Peter Jason <p...@jostle.com> wrote

>> Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.

>> I want to put them up on instagram.

>> Do I need the school's permission?

>> Do I need the permission of the students featured therein?

>> Can I be sued off the planet if I ignore all permissions?

> ............I'm a bit confused.

What's new, you always are about everything.

> But I'll do as I want then wait for the cease/desist letter, then
> reconsider.

Its possible instagram may have silly ideas about what they allow, don't use
it myself.

Max

Dec 28, 2021, 11:16:32 PM12/28/21
There is this table regarding copyright of official texts by country:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_of_official_texts

If there is a report written say by an Australian government committee and the authors are therefore unspecified public servants, what would be the duration of the copyright and when would it start?

Phil Allison

Dec 28, 2021, 11:41:16 PM12/28/21
Max the MORON wrote:

===============

> > > What happens if the author is a government department, or a company?
> > I think that the answer is that this is not possible. The author is
> > always either one or more natural persons. They may have transferred
> > their rights to their employer, or other entity, but they remain the
> > author, and the persistence of the copyright depends on whether they
> > have died, and if so, when.
> >
> > Of course, in many cases where an employee was the author, it's entirely
> > possible that, some years downstream, it is no longer possible to
> > identify the author.
> >

> There is this table regarding copyright of official texts by country:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_of_official_texts
>
> If there is a report written say by an Australian government committee and the authors are therefore unspecified public servants, what would be the duration of the copyright and when would it start?

** FFS read your own link !!!!!!!!!.

Forget Sylvia - she has not got one tiny clue.

.... Phil

Peter Jason

Jan 1, 2022, 7:32:15 PM1/1/22
On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:54:05 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison
<palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter Jason = fake name wrote:
>===========================
>>
>> >Specifically old school photos, at school, of decades ago.
>> >
>> >I want to put them up on instagram.
>> >
>> >Do I need the school's permission?
>> >
>> >Do I need the permission of the students featured therein?
>> >
>> >Can I be sued off the planet if I ignore all permissions?
>> >

>> ............I'm a bit confused.
>>

>** ROTFLMAO !!!

Wot's this? "ROTFLMAO"
Reflect On This Fulsome Loquacious Much Articled Oratory ??
Please xplian!

> Totally Fucked in the Head is the actual truth.

Jeeezuz, wot a TROLL!

> First - your own paranoid thinking confuses you.
> The above also prevents you composing a rational question.

They're ALL questions 'fer Chrissake!

> So all posted answers are rendered meaningless.
> Bugger off.

Another day, another control freak!

>..... Phil

Phil Allison

Jan 1, 2022, 9:23:50 PM1/1/22
Peter Jason = fake name liar wrote:
==============================

> >> ............I'm a bit confused.
> >>

> >** ROTFLMAO !!!
> Wot's this? "ROTFLMAO"

** You know.

> > Totally Fucked in the Head is the actual truth.
>
> Jeeezuz, wot a TROLL!

** LOL - what an obvious truth.

> > First - your own paranoid thinking confuses you.
> > The above also prevents you composing a rational question.

> They're ALL questions 'fer Chrissake!

** But you left out the adjectives:

Like "fuckwit" , "bullshit" , " fake" , " paranoid", " lunatic" and " asinine",

FOAD you pile of shit.

Peter Jason

Jan 4, 2022, 3:47:07 PM1/4/22
How rude! You might feel regret if I FOAD'd. Too late for remorse
then. Weeping over my grave will not expunge guilt feelings you know.
Clearly you are ill and I've bought The Book to investigate....
https://www.alibris.com/Dsm-5-Insanely-Simplified-Unlocking-the-Spectrums-Within-Dsm-5-and-ICD-10-Steven-Buser/book/30573756?matches=11

..........though you're probably just a peevish brat in need of
strenuous discipline!