Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.
Dismiss

Ziggy's Joke o' the day (Tue, 07 Jan 2003)

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Darrel Hoffman

unread,
Jan 7, 2003, 1:15:02 PM1/7/03
to
> This is January. I live in Minnesota. Minnesota in January is
> supposed to find Minnesotans up to our frozen tushies in snow.
>
> The weather boy on TV last night promised almost 50 degrees today.
> It's been warm and wet enough lately that my lawn is threatening to
> turn green again... in January! This is very, very broken.

I'll tell you where your snow is. I just spent 4 hours getting my car out
from under it in Massachusetts. I must be the only person who lives in
Florida and spends his winter vacation in New England... (God, I miss
California...)


Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 11, 2003, 1:52:48 AM1/11/03
to

It's been in the 80's out here in southern California. It was a
little cooler today so I missed my tanning time.

Larry
It's a rough life but someone's got to do it. <g>

David Simpson

unread,
Jan 11, 2003, 8:04:50 AM1/11/03
to
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:52:48 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
typed furiously:

We can send you some from South Australia if you like. Our forecast is
for 37 deg C (approx 100F for the uneducated Yanks) for the next week
or so.

--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"

Alan

unread,
Jan 11, 2003, 9:30:57 AM1/11/03
to
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:52:48 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
wrote:

Could there ever be enough sun to cover your ass?

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 11, 2003, 3:38:18 PM1/11/03
to
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:30:57 GMT, bogf...@hotmail.com (Alan ) wrote:

>>>> This is January. I live in Minnesota. Minnesota in January is
>>>> supposed to find Minnesotans up to our frozen tushies in snow.
>>>>
>>>> The weather boy on TV last night promised almost 50 degrees today.
>>>> It's been warm and wet enough lately that my lawn is threatening to
>>>> turn green again... in January! This is very, very broken.
>>>
>>>I'll tell you where your snow is. I just spent 4 hours getting my car out
>>>from under it in Massachusetts. I must be the only person who lives in
>>>Florida and spends his winter vacation in New England... (God, I miss
>>>California...)
>>
>>It's been in the 80's out here in southern California. It was a
>>little cooler today so I missed my tanning time.
>
>Could there ever be enough sun to cover your ass?

Actually, I think that we could find enough sun to cover you, Alan.
<g>

Alan

unread,
Jan 11, 2003, 4:03:18 PM1/11/03
to
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:38:18 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:30:57 GMT, bogf...@hotmail.com (Alan ) wrote:

No, thanks. Too much chance of skin cancer and looking like you.
(all red and wrinkled)

Greg Evans

unread,
Jan 14, 2003, 3:03:44 PM1/14/03
to
Larry Krzewinski wrote:

> It's been in the 80's out here in southern California. It was a
> little cooler today so I missed my tanning time.

You just described Hell, as far as I'm concerned.


Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 14, 2003, 4:59:28 PM1/14/03
to

It's only going to be in the mid-70s today with mostly blue skies and
sunshine. Yep, this sure is a living hell. I've got the windows open
and there's a light sea breeze blowing. Damn, I hate this lousy
weather! <g>


Greg Evans

unread,
Jan 14, 2003, 5:24:57 PM1/14/03
to
Larry Krzewinski wrote:

> >> It's been in the 80's out here in southern California. It was a
> >> little cooler today so I missed my tanning time.
> >You just described Hell, as far as I'm concerned.
>
> It's only going to be in the mid-70s today with mostly blue skies and
> sunshine. Yep, this sure is a living hell. I've got the windows open
> and there's a light sea breeze blowing. Damn, I hate this lousy
> weather! <g>

You've heard of SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder, where the grey Winter
days and long nights trigger depression in certain individuals? I get the
equivalent of that, starting every Spring once the thermometer (and humidity
%) rise above 70 and the sun starts baking my pate for way too long each
day, and it lasts until the first frost of Fall. So yeah, I'd miss the cold
weather and start going crazy.

Greg
or craziER, I should say


John Clarke

unread,
Jan 14, 2003, 6:22:22 PM1/14/03
to
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:24:57 UTC, "Greg Evans" <greg...@charter.net>
wrote:

Could you help me out here - what is "frost"?

John, a denizen of Sydney, Oz.

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 14, 2003, 6:52:27 PM1/14/03
to

Humidity? What is this word "humidity" that you speak?

Felicity

unread,
Jan 14, 2003, 9:00:20 PM1/14/03
to
So I would need to buy an airconditioner for your visit?


Greg Evans

unread,
Jan 15, 2003, 12:59:34 PM1/15/03
to
John Clarke wrote:

> Could you help me out here - what is "frost"?

Think of it as "God's own icing".


Greg Evans

unread,
Jan 15, 2003, 1:00:33 PM1/15/03
to
Felicity wrote:

> So I would need to buy an airconditioner for your visit?

Yes, and a conveniently-located fan...you wouldn't want me to get distracted
by overheating, would you?


John Clarke

unread,
Jan 15, 2003, 6:07:44 PM1/15/03
to

Ah! Now I understand. Frost is what you get on top of cakes?

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 15, 2003, 6:37:04 PM1/15/03
to
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:07:44 GMT, jcl...@zip.com.au (John Clarke)
wrote:

>> > Could you help me out here - what is "frost"?
>>
>> Think of it as "God's own icing".
>
>Ah! Now I understand. Frost is what you get on top of cakes?

That's frosting. Frost is what you get on the pumpkin.

Greg Evans

unread,
Jan 15, 2003, 7:07:27 PM1/15/03
to
John Clarke wrote:

> > > Could you help me out here - what is "frost"?
> > Think of it as "God's own icing".
>
> Ah! Now I understand. Frost is what you get on top of cakes?

Yes...if the cake is, say, at the top of Mt. McKinley.


David Simpson

unread,
Jan 16, 2003, 8:17:27 AM1/16/03
to
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:52:27 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
typed furiously:

>On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:24:57 -0500, "Greg Evans"

When water is falling out of the sky the humidity measures one hundred
percent.

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 16, 2003, 2:52:24 PM1/16/03
to
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:47:27 +1030, David Simpson
<faro...@picknowl.com.au> wrote:

>>Humidity? What is this word "humidity" that you speak?
>
>When water is falling out of the sky the humidity measures one hundred
>percent.

Water actually falls from the sky! Wow. I can't remember that
happening here in Los Angeles.

Alan

unread,
Jan 16, 2003, 4:10:41 PM1/16/03
to
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:52:24 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:47:27 +1030, David Simpson

BS Larry. A friend was just there and said never believe that it
never rains in S California. It did a lot.
>

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 16, 2003, 9:53:07 PM1/16/03
to
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:10:41 GMT, bogf...@hotmail.com (Alan ) wrote:

>>>>Humidity? What is this word "humidity" that you speak?
>>>
>>>When water is falling out of the sky the humidity measures one hundred
>>>percent.
>>
>>Water actually falls from the sky! Wow. I can't remember that
>>happening here in Los Angeles.
>
>BS Larry. A friend was just there and said never believe that it
>never rains in S California. It did a lot.

Alan,
I guess that I must have been asleep when it rained the entire 4.5
inches that we received last year. We don't get a lot of rain. I've
seen times where we will go for 7 or 8 months without any rain at all.
Maybe your friend was here during a rainy period. Most of the time
the sun shines. How much rain did you get last year?

Larry

Alan

unread,
Jan 16, 2003, 10:35:27 PM1/16/03
to
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:53:07 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:10:41 GMT, bogf...@hotmail.com (Alan ) wrote:

We get a lot of rain all year round (except when we really need it.)
The friend was a bit farther north than LA, but had rain for about
three days straight right around Christmas.
>
>Larry

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 17, 2003, 1:29:14 AM1/17/03
to
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:35:27 GMT, bogf...@hotmail.com (Alan ) wrote:

>We get a lot of rain all year round (except when we really need it.)
>The friend was a bit farther north than LA, but had rain for about
>three days straight right around Christmas.

We usually don't get much rain, although I can recall the winter of
1992-1993 where we got so much rain that some of the streets coming
down the local mountains and into my town turned into rivers.
Normally we only get rain during the winter months and it isn't very
much at all. That's why everyone makes fun of Southern California
drivers. They can't drive in the rain. If it rains here the freeways
turn into miles of parking lot. In reality oil from the vehicles
permeates the pavement and the first rain in a few months will cause
that oil to rise to the surface and make the roads as slippy as ice at
times. This is the desert even though everywhere you look there is
green lawn and trees. Everyone uses sprinklers here or their lawn
dies. Four and a half inches of rain is very little rain.

Felicity

unread,
Jan 17, 2003, 10:29:29 PM1/17/03
to

I already have a ceiling fan in every bedroom and the lounge, plus 3 desk
fans and an upright fan... Don't worry darling, I'll be the only thing that
distracts you...


David Simpson

unread,
Jan 18, 2003, 6:05:56 AM1/18/03
to
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:52:24 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
typed furiously:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:47:27 +1030, David Simpson

The smog probably prevents you from actually seeing it fall.

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 18, 2003, 2:35:39 PM1/18/03
to
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:35:56 +1030, David Simpson
<faro...@picknowl.com.au> wrote:

>>>>Humidity? What is this word "humidity" that you speak?
>>>
>>>When water is falling out of the sky the humidity measures one hundred
>>>percent.
>>
>>Water actually falls from the sky! Wow. I can't remember that
>>happening here in Los Angeles.
>
>The smog probably prevents you from actually seeing it fall.

See? What is this word see?

Elisabeth Müller

unread,
Jan 19, 2003, 2:02:00 AM1/19/03
to
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 06:29:14 GMT, Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net>
wrote:


> Four and a half inches of rain is very little rain.

Larry knows four and a half inches when he sees them.

Felicity

unread,
Jan 19, 2003, 4:29:51 AM1/19/03
to

Elisabeth wrote:
> Larry Krzewinski <larr...@gte.net> wrote:
>
>
> > Four and a half inches of rain is very little rain.
>
> Larry knows four and a half inches when he sees them.

Don't you E???


Alan

unread,
Jan 19, 2003, 8:46:41 AM1/19/03
to
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 07:02:00 GMT, mael...@eunet.at (Elisabeth Müller)
wrote:

or less than half that?

Elisabeth Müller

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 3:23:57 PM1/22/03
to
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:29:51 +1100, "Felicity" <alar...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I would have to look up what it is in centimeters.

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 3:38:31 PM1/22/03
to
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:23:57 GMT, mael...@eunet.at (Elisabeth Müller)
wrote:

>>> > Four and a half inches of rain is very little rain.
>>>
>>> Larry knows four and a half inches when he sees them.
>>
>>Don't you E???
>
>I would have to look up what it is in centimeters.

I think that you need to stop precipitating this conversation.

ken grace

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 5:19:57 PM1/22/03
to
Four and a half inches is a *lot* of rain. Not spread over a year, perhaps,
but get that much in a day and your drains had better be working properly.


"Elisabeth Müller" <mael...@eunet.at> wrote in message
news:3e2ef567...@news.eunet-ag.at...

fmhlaw

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 12:16:31 AM1/23/03
to

To hail with it, then.

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 2:30:53 AM1/23/03
to
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:16:31 GMT, fmhlaw <fmh...@attbi.com> wrote:

>>>>>>Four and a half inches of rain is very little rain.
>>>>>
>>>>>Larry knows four and a half inches when he sees them.
>>>>
>>>>Don't you E???
>>>
>>>I would have to look up what it is in centimeters.
>>
>>
>> I think that you need to stop precipitating this conversation.
>
>To hail with it, then.

Are you trying to rain on my parade?

Greg Evans

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 7:47:38 AM1/23/03
to
Larry Krzewinski wrote:

> >>>>>>Four and a half inches of rain is very little rain.
> >>>>>Larry knows four and a half inches when he sees them.
> >>>>Don't you E???
> >>>I would have to look up what it is in centimeters.
> >> I think that you need to stop precipitating this conversation.
> >To hail with it, then.
>
> Are you trying to rain on my parade?

'S'now wonder, what with that cloudy disposition of yours.


Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 10:58:02 AM1/23/03
to

All that wind coming from your direction doesn't help it much.

fmhlaw

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 11:02:51 AM1/23/03
to

He's just shooting the breeze.

Larry Krzewinski

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 3:29:46 PM1/23/03
to
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:02:51 GMT, fmhlaw <fmh...@attbi.com> wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>Four and a half inches of rain is very little rain.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>Larry knows four and a half inches when he sees them.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>Don't you E???
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I would have to look up what it is in centimeters.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I think that you need to stop precipitating this conversation.
>>>>>
>>>>>To hail with it, then.
>>>>
>>>>Are you trying to rain on my parade?
>>>
>>>'S'now wonder, what with that cloudy disposition of yours.
>>
>> All that wind coming from your direction doesn't help it much.
>>
>He's just shooting the breeze.

He just needs a muzzle on his bazooka.

David Simpson

unread,
Jan 24, 2003, 7:46:09 AM1/24/03