Mediocre films

1 view

Ali

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

I watched Top Gun (again...) the other day, and realised that although it
is a VERY shallow film, it is done SO WELL!! I really enjoyed
the macho-charisma-cliche-stereotype-lack of a real storyline thing it had
going! What other mediocre films can people recommend?!

ALI

Murdoch University
Western Australia

Joan McGalliard

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
Ali <ali...@central.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:

> I watched Top Gun (again...) the other day, and realised that although it
> is a VERY shallow film, it is done SO WELL!! I really enjoyed
> the macho-charisma-cliche-stereotype-lack of a real storyline thing it had
> going! What other mediocre films can people recommend?!

The English Patient.
Beaches.

You know you're being artlessly manipulated (especiallty Beaches) but
you cry.

joan
--
"Another carbon based lifeform? It's beginning to look like that's
all God can do." - Paul McDermott

Joan McGalliard, remove *NO_SPAM* to reply, http://netspace.net.au/~jem/

Buttso

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
>What was that pathetic film starring Michael Caine and Sly Stallone as
>prisoners-of-war and being forced to challenge Gerry to a soccer match?
>(Which they won, and as a consequence the begrudging respect of the Nazis).

escape to victory?

how about Point Break.

Mich

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98

> Ali <ali...@central.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:
> [snip]

> > What other mediocre films can people recommend?!

What was that pathetic film starring Michael Caine and Sly Stallone as

prisoners-of-war and being forced to challenge Gerry to a soccer match?
(Which they won, and as a consequence the begrudging respect of the Nazis).

Couldn't help but cheer them on. I feel so ashamed.

Michelle

Please make the necessary edits to my email address if you intend to reply
directly.

Bruce Fountain

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Joan McGalliard wrote:

<snip>

> Beaches.
>
> You know you're being artlessly manipulated (especiallty Beaches) but
> you cry.

I have always used Beaches as a classic illustration of the Chick Flick.
Every male I have ever discussed it with wanted to retch watching this
movie. My wife loved it...

Regards,

Bruce

| Bruce Fountain NEC Australia - New Product Development |
| bruce_f...@neca.nec.com.au Tel: +612 9930 2238 Fax: +612 9930 2233 |

Trevor Mettam

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
In article <spamblock-ya023580...@news.zeta.org.au>, spamblock@mor@zeta.org.au (Mich) writes:

>> Ali <ali...@central.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > What other mediocre films can people recommend?!
>
>What was that pathetic film starring Michael Caine and Sly Stallone as
>prisoners-of-war and being forced to challenge Gerry to a soccer match?
>(Which they won, and as a consequence the begrudging respect of the Nazis).

Victory!

>Couldn't help but cheer them on. I feel so ashamed.

So you should... hold out your hand... <slap>

--
===---------------------------+---------------------------------------------===
Trevor Mettam |"I see they trained you well back home."
| Dark", Babylon 5

Frode Egeland

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
One that I enjoyed immensely: Braveheart
;-)

Buttso wrote:

> >What was that pathetic film starring Michael Caine and Sly Stallone as
> >prisoners-of-war and being forced to challenge Gerry to a soccer match?
> >(Which they won, and as a consequence the begrudging respect of the Nazis).

Buttso

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98

Frode Egeland wrote in message <363EFC2C...@csi.com>...

>One that I enjoyed immensely: Braveheart
>;-)

yeah I'm with you - an excellent mediocre movie if ever there was. And the
girl who gets killed, Catherine McCormick (?) is a spunk!

Adam Gill

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
I apologise prehand to all those non-Scots out there, but
BRAVEHEART......................MEDIOCRE!!!!! You have NO idea what that
film did to this country do you? I walked out of the Odeon in the centre
of Glasgow with over 200 pumped up, nationalistic Scots and one very
intimidated and nervous Englishman. The bid for Scotland's political
freedom would not have come about if that film hadn't been released at that
time!!! The scenery, the acting, the dialogue and setting are all
intrinsic Scottish traits. You can feel the film in the country around
you, and every Scot that saw that film knew how their ancestors felt. At
least in part. It's like saying Michael Collins was a FUN movie!!!

I appreciate that non-Brits won't have the same understanding of the way
things are over here, as much as I have no true understanding of Australian
culture than through what I see on the screen and the few Australians I've
met. Scotland has been treated badly, politically for centuries, not by
the english people, but by the english kings and governments. Our
unhappiness stems from a lack of unity within our own country to achieve a
solid freedom froman unsympathetic government. The film reflects current
feelings with a historical basis. A lot of the facts are misleading but
not entirely unworthy. We did, after all, beat the English four to one at
Stirling bridge, and the Scots are still feared as the fiercest fighters in
the world. I read an article once that said of the nationalities likely to
become a hitman, Scottish was the most popular with Glasgow being the most
popular district. I can't verify how accurate this is, but it feels true.

You want mediocre films then try Earth Girls Are Easy, Independence Day
(albeit I liked this film because there were so many reasons to hate it),
even the Avengers (which I found hilarious, even though no-one else I know
liked it)

Bruce Fountain

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
Adam Gill wrote:

> I apologise prehand to all those non-Scots out there, but
> BRAVEHEART......................MEDIOCRE!!!!! You have NO idea what that
> film did to this country do you?
<snip>

I have to agree. I think Braveheart was an excellent film - exactly the
sort of big budget extravaganza that Hollywood should be producing. The
only disappointment I had was that they found the need to twist history
entirely out of shape in order to introduce a romantic aspect to the
story (never mind that the Princess of Wales would only have been about
five years old at the time she was supposed to be humping Willy Wallace!).

If Hollywood threw more money at films like this and less at trash
like Independence Day I would be a very happy budgie.

Gal

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
I remember my grandmother leading a standing ovation for Rocky ( the
original)..perhaps it was better than all the sequels, but it's so long
ago...

Ali wrote in message ...

>I watched Top Gun (again...) the other day, and realised that although it
>is a VERY shallow film, it is done SO WELL!! I really enjoyed
>the macho-charisma-cliche-stereotype-lack of a real storyline thing it had

>going! What other mediocre films can people recommend?!

peeby

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Adam Gill <GIL...@bp.com> wrote:

> I apologise prehand to all those non-Scots out there, but
> BRAVEHEART......................MEDIOCRE!!!!!

Not the word to use at all. Scots, and anyone from any country where any
other country has staked a territorial right, can relate to the basic
story. The romantic plotline is what you expect from Hollywood big
budget flix. It was fantastic in every other respect and it certainly
fired up my Scottish ancestory.

--
peeby