CSIRO staff ponder 虹ndustrial action over climate shake-up

Leroy N. Soetoro

Feb 9, 2016, 6:06:01 PM2/9/16
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-
relations/csiro-staff-ponder-industrial-action-over-climate-shakeup/news-
story/f09aab1d5ae2c0c8128cecd0496d0cab

CSIRO staff have taken the first steps towards ­industrial action, and the
Bureau of Meteorology has warned of gaps in joint weather research
programs, as the fallout from the science agency’s restructure continues.

Climate scientists yesterday filed out of a Melbourne conference to stage
a protest over the CSIRO’s plans, which threaten up to 350 jobs, as the
agency discontinues some of its modelling work to focus on mitigation and
adaptation to climate change. The protesters included former CSIRO
researcher Penny Whetton, who shirtfronted Malcolm Turnbull during
Sunday’s open day in the grounds of The Lodge.

Dr Whetton, whose partner is Greens senator Janet Rice, told The
Australian it would take 20 years to rebuild the expertise now in the
firing line. “If there were resources some years down the track to re-
establish that capability, money couldn’t buy it,” she said.

The BoM yesterday said there would be “holes” in joint programs if the
CSIRO pulled out. “CSIRO aren’t doing everything but they play a very
significant role,” chief executive Rob Vertessy said.

A CSIRO spokesman said the agency was “working through the detail” with
research partners, including the BoM, to find “efficient ways to minimise
any impacts to joint programs”.

“For example, CSIRO will work with BoM to maintain the ongoing measurement
of atmospheric CO2 concentrations at Cape Grim, which is a bureau-operated
facility.”

Peter Stott, a visiting scientist from the British Met Office, said the
decision breached “good faith” in an international project to monitor
oceanic conditions.

Dr Stott said the project was an “altogether” enterprise. “If one country
withdraws support, somebody may be able to step in. But you need the
expertise that Australia has built up because of its position in the
southern hemisphere. With research expertise, you can’t just stop it and
then start again in a few years’ time.”

On Friday, the CSIRO Staff Association notified management of a dispute,
claiming it had breached consultation obli­gations in the staff agreement.
Secretary Sam Popovski said the association would today decide whether to
refer the dispute to the Fair Work Commission.

Comments:

AussieGook
AussieGook 8 HOURS AGO
Hilarious, industrial action regarding EBA for scientist, now I have heard
it all. The same people that are the forefront in requesting the world to
change are themselves reluctant to do the same. Consider others that have
lost their job to science that was settled until last week, now you know
how it feels. I could only cringe thinking about the payout for this
round of redundancies.

So next time when Penny Wong shakes a 1200 page document that no one has
read next to her head and claim this is proof that we need to act , its
officially full of BS as it need more research, hypocritical?

FLAGSHARELIKEREPLY
Christine
Christine 9 HOURS AGO
who cares....they can't even get the weather right from day to day & they
want us to think they can predict the climate change 200 years from now.
Just another overstaffed, over-bloated government bureaucracy which thinks
that it's sacrosanct and beyond change.

FLAGSHARELIKEREPLY
Mike
Mike 10 HOURS AGO
Starfish, the definition of an expert is a person who lives more than 50
kms. away. The support Trump enjoys is evidence of American gullibility.

FLAGSHARELIKEREPLY
John
John 10 HOURS AGO
People doing something we don't need, being paid money we can't
afford,decide to go on strike to do nothing, and call it industrial
action. Righto.

FLAGSHARE2ChristineSophLIKEREPLY
Starfish
Starfish 10 HOURS AGO
I see that over in the US, the % of Republicans that now accept AGW is
real has gone from 47 to 59 in the past year. While here in Oz we still
reckon we know more than the experts. Go figure.

FLAGSHARELIKEREPLY
Mike
Mike 11 HOURS AGO
The dominate influence on the worlds climate is the sun. The influence of
mankind is insignificant in comparison. As King Canote demonstrated
mankind's influence on the tide is no different from the effect of CO2 on
the earth's climate. In another 10-20 years time people will ask what on
earth were they talking about in how CO2 Is responsible for climate
change. Pollution is not climate change and the former is what requires
action!

FLAGSHARE1ChristineLIKEREPLY
stuart
stuart 11 HOURS AGO
They can't make their minds up over science. Voting to do nothing seems
easier.

FLAGSHARELIKEREPLY
Christine
Christine 9 HOURS AGO
@stuart maybe their Green mates can get them jobs over at Green Party
HQ.....after all, these climate scientists have been doing the Greens
bidding for the past 2 decades & deserve some reward for all the effort.

FLAGSHARELIKEREPLY
Michael
Michael 13 HOURS AGO
It saddens me as a conservative to read so many ill informed and ignorant
comments here. 'climate racket', 'con' etc. This is cutting edge science
that needs to be done for Australia's future prosperity climate change or
no. Long

term climate forecasts for farming, fishing, water planning for cities,
etc? Sorry, no capability. I guess we can leave it up to the prayers from
the far right of this once sensible and intelligent political party to
save us.

FLAGSHARE1StarfishLIKEREPLY
Jason
Jason 13 HOURS AGO
Taxpayers rejoice!!!!

FLAGSHARE7ChristineSophJohnBarryLIKEREPLY
Luke
Luke 14 HOURS AGO
I'd like to know of the other scientists at CSIRO feel the same way after
years of watching theirs funding being siphoned off to climate studies.

FLAGSHARE9GraemeChristineSimonJohnLIKEREPLY
stephen
stephen 15 HOURS AGO
you go to bed with dogs you will get fleas

FLAGSHARE3BrookeMarita RoseJasonLIKEREPLY
Greg
Greg 15 HOURS AGO
No one would miss them if they went on strike . Doc their pay

Bris Greg

FLAGSHARE6ChristineBarryBrookeMarita RoseLIKEREPLY
Ted
Ted 15 HOURS AGO
They better be very careful with the strike action.

The unsupervised computers may strike too and tell the truth about the
climate modeling and temperature predictions.

FLAGSHARE7ChristineSimonBrookechristopherLIKEREPLY
Martyn
Martyn 16 HOURS AGO
If they are so important they will all find good well paid positions in
other countries. Otherwise they can use their degrees in other areas.

FLAGSHARE6ChristineBrookeMarita RoseAndrewLIKEREPLY
Bernie
Bernie 18 HOURS AGO
How sad: another critical demise - if not complete extinction - directly
linked to Climate Change or Global Warming or whatever the heck it's
called this week.

But I'm feeling agile and excited.

The article in this paper on the tremendous effect of fracking and the
huge benefit this technology will hold for all the world's consumers for
decades to come is compelling me to consider which Ford of Holden V8 I
should purchase.

Perhaps all these science-types could seek employment in the boom areas of
oil recovery and large-engine automotion.

It's a living.

FLAGSHARE2BrookeMarita RoseLIKEREPLY
Yvonne
Yvonne 18 HOURS AGO
I trust they will take unpaid or annual leave when they go on strike

FLAGSHARE4ChristineBrookeMarita RoseJasonLIKEREPLY
christopher
christopher 13 HOURS AGO
One good thing is that people taking unprotected industrial action cannot
get paid. The Fair Work Ombudsman polices employers to make sure they
don't pay these staff, otherwise the company gets fined. Unionists often
call in sick, but many companies will take this as coordinated action and
will not pay wages regardless of their corrupt doctors sick certificates.

FLAGSHARE2BrookeMarita RoseLIKEREPLY
Brian
Brian 19 HOURS AGO
This entire article could have been covered with a single sentence,
Climate scientists went on strike - no one noticed.

FLAGSHARE8ChristineJohnBrookeErzsebetLIKEREPLY

--
Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $19 trillion in the six
years he has been in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood

Barack Obama, reelected by the dumbest voters in the history of the United
States of America. The only American president to deliberately import a
lethal infectious disease from Africa, Ebola.

Loretta Fuddy, killed after she "verified" Obama's phony birth
certificate.

Nancy Pelosi, Democrat criminal, accessory before and after the fact to
improper vetting of Barry Soetoro aka Barack Hussein Obama, a confirmed
felon using SSAN 042-68-4425, belonging to a dead man.

Obama ignored the brutal killing of an American diplomat in Benghazi, then
relieved American military officers who attempted to prevent said murder
in order to cover up his own ineptitude.

Obama continues his muslim goal of disarming America while ObamaCare
increases insurance premiums 300% and leaves millions without health care.

Ördög

Feb 9, 2016, 7:10:51 PM2/9/16
"Leroy N. Soetoro" <leroys...@usurper.org> live on stage:

> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-
> relations/csiro-staff-ponder-industrial-action-over-climate-shakeup/
news-
> story/f09aab1d5ae2c0c8128cecd0496d0cab
>
> CSIRO staff have taken the first steps towards ­industrial action, and
> the Bureau of Meteorology has warned of gaps in joint weather research
> programs, as the fallout from the science agency’s restructure
> continues.
>
> Climate scientists yesterday filed out of a Melbourne conference to
> stage a protest over the CSIRO’s plans, which threaten up to 350 jobs,
> as the agency discontinues some of its modelling work to focus on
> mitigation and adaptation to climate change. The protesters included
> former CSIRO researcher Penny Whetton, who shirtfronted Malcolm Turnbull
> during Sunday’s open day in the grounds of The Lodge.

/snip/

There are a number of ways to deal with AGW.

Apparently those flat-Earthers still dominating the policies in the
Coalition have thought that the easiest way to do this was getting rid of
the scientist in that scientific discipline for good.

What amazing geniuses! NOT!
:(

Header was seriously sanitised. Stupid cross posting spree does not
provide for a sane debate.

--
Ördög

"Ut sementem feceris, ita metes"(Cicero)

Benadict

Feb 10, 2016, 1:00:18 AM2/10/16
In article <9822ec24-b600-4827-930b-
a403dd...@googlegroups.com>