What lockdown delays?

33 views
Skip to first unread message

Sylvia Else

unread,
Sep 12, 2021, 12:56:41 AM9/12/21
to
Ordered PCBs from PcbWay on Tuesday. Delivered to my door today (yes,
Sunday) by DHL.

On other hand, I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver a package that's
been in Sydney since a week ago Thursday last.

Sylvia.

Computer Nerd Kev

unread,
Sep 12, 2021, 6:31:06 PM9/12/21
to
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote:
> Ordered PCBs from PcbWay on Tuesday. Delivered to my door today (yes,
> Sunday) by DHL.

I just checked the tracking on the one from Singapore that DHL got to
Melbourne in a day and was then left sitting there since the 26th,
and it's been delivered!

Well it hasn't, but the postie lies so that actually means it will
probably be in the letter box later today.

Contacting DHL's customer service on Friday may or may not have
helped (no reply since I gave them the tracking number that I
thought the site would have submitted automatically).

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Sylvia Else

unread,
Sep 17, 2021, 11:03:14 PM9/17/21
to
I finally got that FexEx delivery today. It may, or may not, be a
coincidence that yesterday I advised them that if they didn't contact me
or deliver the package within a week, I'd start proceedings against them
before NCAT to recover my property (I was serious - I would have).

They contacted me within the hour. Turns out their local delivery depot
was closed for ten days. They didn't say why - Covid-19 issues? But we
know that stuff happens; all they needed to do was communicate with
their customers rather than leaving them in the dark. Why won't
companies learn that simple lesson?

Sylvia.

Phil Allison

unread,
Sep 17, 2021, 11:44:58 PM9/17/21
to
Stupider than Anyone Else wrote:
===========================
> >
> > On other hand, I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver a package that's
> > been in Sydney since a week ago Thursday last.
> >
> >
> I finally got that FexEx delivery today. It may, or may not, be a
> coincidence that yesterday I advised them that if they didn't contact me
> or deliver the package within a week, I'd start proceedings against them
> before NCAT to recover my property (I was serious - I would have).
>
> They contacted me within the hour. Turns out their local delivery depot
> was closed for ten days. They didn't say why - Covid-19 issues? But we
> know that stuff happens; all they needed to do was communicate with
> their customers rather than leaving them in the dark. Why won't
> companies learn that simple lesson?
>

** If it was Covid contamination at the depot -
can you think why they might not be keen to reveal that publicly ??

Also, if they gave some other fake excuse and got found out ?


..... Phil


Sylvia Else

unread,
Sep 18, 2021, 2:31:14 AM9/18/21
to
Even just the explanation that the depot had been closed for 10 days for
reasons beyond their control, and that they were now clearing the
backlog, would have been better than just showing packages as "in
transit" but not moving for days on end.

Sylvia.

Phil Allison

unread,
Sep 18, 2021, 3:11:09 AM9/18/21
to
Stupider than Anyone Else wrote:
===========================
> >>

> >>> On other hand, I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver a package that's
> >>> been in Sydney since a week ago Thursday last.
> >>>
> >>>
> >> I finally got that FexEx delivery today. It may, or may not, be a
> >> coincidence that yesterday I advised them that if they didn't contact me
> >> or deliver the package within a week, I'd start proceedings against them
> >> before NCAT to recover my property (I was serious - I would have).
> >>
> >> They contacted me within the hour. Turns out their local delivery depot
> >> was closed for ten days. They didn't say why - Covid-19 issues? But we
> >> know that stuff happens; all they needed to do was communicate with
> >> their customers rather than leaving them in the dark. Why won't
> >> companies learn that simple lesson?
> >>
> >
> > ** If it was Covid contamination at the depot -
> > can you think why they might not be keen to reveal that publicly ??
> >
> > Also, if they gave some other fake excuse and got found out ?
> >
> >
> Even just the explanation that the depot had been closed for 10 days for
> reasons beyond their control, and that they were now clearing the
> backlog, would have been better than just showing packages as "in
> transit" but not moving for days on end.
>

** See the word "Also" I posted ?
See what comes after it ?

Principle being it's safest not to lie.
Silence is not a lie.


..... Phil


Daniel65

unread,
Sep 18, 2021, 5:38:57 AM9/18/21
to
Sylvia Else wrote on 18/09/2021 1:03 pm:
> On 12-Sep-21 2:56 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> Ordered PCBs from PcbWay on Tuesday. Delivered to my door today (yes,
>> Sunday) by DHL.
>>
>> On other hand, I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver a package that's
>> been in Sydney since a week ago Thursday last.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>>
>
> I finally got that FexEx delivery today.

WHAT?? On a Week-end?? Are you "Special" or something, Sylvia??

> It may, or may not, be a
> coincidence that yesterday I advised them that if they didn't contact me
> or deliver the package within a week, I'd start proceedings against them
> before NCAT to recover my property (I was serious - I would have).
>
> They contacted me within the hour. Turns out their local delivery depot
> was closed for ten days. They didn't say why - Covid-19 issues? But we
> know that stuff happens; all they needed to do was communicate with
> their customers rather than leaving them in the dark. Why won't
> companies learn that simple lesson?
>
> Sylvia.

Have you been using their web-tracker site?? (So they have one??) If
they had left a note there that might have saved some grief!
--
Daniel

Sylvia Else

unread,
Sep 18, 2021, 5:43:58 AM9/18/21
to
On 18-Sep-21 7:38 pm, Daniel65 wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote on 18/09/2021 1:03 pm:
>> On 12-Sep-21 2:56 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> Ordered PCBs from PcbWay on Tuesday. Delivered to my door today (yes,
>>> Sunday) by DHL.
>>>
>>> On other hand, I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver a package
>>> that's been in Sydney since a week ago Thursday last.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>>
>>
>> I finally got that FexEx delivery today.
>
> WHAT?? On a Week-end?? Are you "Special" or something, Sylvia??

No, weekend deliveries have been going on for a while, as the various
companied try to handle (and presumably profit from) the increased demand.

>
> Have you been using their web-tracker site?? (So they have one??) If
> they had left a note there that might have saved some grief!

Yes. Their tracker just said it was subject to a delay beyond their
control, which could mean anything, or be nothing more than an excuse
for tardiness.

Sylvia.

Rheilly

unread,
Sep 18, 2021, 7:48:27 AM9/18/21
to
On 18/09/2021 5:38 pm, Daniel65 wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote on 18/09/2021 1:03 pm:
>> On 12-Sep-21 2:56 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> Ordered PCBs from PcbWay on Tuesday. Delivered to my door today (yes,
>>> Sunday) by DHL.
>>>
>>> On other hand, I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver a package
>>> that's been in Sydney since a week ago Thursday last.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>>
>>
>> I finally got that FexEx delivery today.
>
> WHAT?? On a Week-end?? Are you "Special" or something, Sylvia??

Wake up sunshine!! we have been getting deliveries up to 9pm without
being "special"

Computer Nerd Kev

unread,
Sep 18, 2021, 8:58:53 PM9/18/21
to
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote:
>
> I finally got that FexEx delivery today. It may, or may not, be a
> coincidence that yesterday I advised them that if they didn't contact me
> or deliver the package within a week, I'd start proceedings against them
> before NCAT to recover my property (I was serious - I would have).
>
> They contacted me within the hour. Turns out their local delivery depot
> was closed for ten days. They didn't say why - Covid-19 issues? But we
> know that stuff happens; all they needed to do was communicate with
> their customers rather than leaving them in the dark. Why won't
> companies learn that simple lesson?

Yeah, with DHL if you follow a very less-than-obvious link trail
you can find this (somewhat dodgy-looking) page:
https://www.simplydhl.com/covid-19updates

Whichever way you read that (and there seem to be a few ways) it
said my package was due ages ago. However at the post office (DHL
use Aus Post for delivery here, or at least to me) they were well
aware that a lot of parcels were being held up in Melbourne, even
though Aus Post only mentions short delays specifically in
Melbourne's Northern suburbs at the start of the month:
https://auspost.com.au/service-updates/current-updates/domestic-service-updates

Also I've been waiting 26 days for a parcel from the US sent by
USPS, "10 business days" is the estimated delivery time. The latest
update is that it arrived in Sydney on the 12th. But I'm not
surprised, the last one took 56 days. It actually arrived in Sydney
the _first_ time after only 24 days, but then the tracking showed
it went back to Chicago a couple of days later, bounced around the
US again for half a month, then suddenly appeared in Tokyo, but
went from there to Sydney in a day, and from Sydney to Melbourne
the next day, and then got to me nine days after that. USPS seem to
be about as unreliable at their end as Aus Post are at this end, so
you get the worst of both worlds.

Sylvia Else

unread,
Sep 18, 2021, 10:33:41 PM9/18/21
to
One sometimes have to wonder how the tracking works.

A while back I was expecting a package to be directed to my local post
office (I'd elected that because a failed delivery would result in it
going to a very inconvenient LPO). It seemed to be bouncing around the
state. Eventually I got the supplier to send another. When I went to the
post office to get it, the other one was there, having been there for
weeks. So how could it be tracked round the state?

Sylvia.

Daniel65

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 3:07:49 AM9/20/21
to
Computer Nerd Kev wrote on 19/9/21 10:58 am:

<Snip>

> Also I've been waiting 26 days for a parcel from the US sent by
> USPS, "10 business days" is the estimated delivery time. The latest
> update is that it arrived in Sydney on the 12th. But I'm not
> surprised, the last one took 56 days. It actually arrived in Sydney
> the _first_ time after only 24 days, but then the tracking showed
> it went back to Chicago a couple of days later, bounced around the
> US again for half a month, then suddenly appeared in Tokyo, but
> went from there to Sydney in a day, and from Sydney to Melbourne
> the next day, and then got to me nine days after that. USPS seem to
> be about as unreliable at their end as Aus Post are at this end, so
> you get the worst of both worlds.
>
Gee Whiz!! And here we are all sick to death of being locked down!! I
guess your package just wanted to get out and about a bit!! ;-P
--
Daniel

Xeno

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 3:44:17 AM9/20/21
to
It was lucky that it could do just that! The rest of us just have to
suffer in silence.

--

Xeno


Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Daniel65

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 4:42:41 AM9/20/21
to
Xeno wrote on 20/9/21 5:44 pm:
> On 20/9/21 5:07 pm, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote on 19/9/21 10:58 am:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> Also I've been waiting 26 days for a parcel from the US sent by
>>> USPS, "10 business days" is the estimated delivery time. The latest
>>> update is that it arrived in Sydney on the 12th. But I'm not
>>> surprised, the last one took 56 days. It actually arrived in Sydney
>>> the _first_ time after only 24 days, but then the tracking showed
>>> it went back to Chicago a couple of days later, bounced around the
>>> US again for half a month, then suddenly appeared in Tokyo, but
>>> went from there to Sydney in a day, and from Sydney to Melbourne
>>> the next day, and then got to me nine days after that. USPS seem to
>>> be about as unreliable at their end as Aus Post are at this end, so
>>> you get the worst of both worlds.
>>>
>> Gee Whiz!! And here we are all sick to death of being locked down!! I
>> guess your package just wanted to get out and about a bit!! ;-P
>
> It was lucky that it could do just that! The rest of us just have to
> suffer in silence.
>
I wonder .... Does this mean the package will have to go into lock-down
for fourteen days?? ;-P
--
Daniel

Xeno

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 12:05:19 AM9/21/21
to
Nah, the *contents* of said package have been in iso long enough.

Daniel65

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 3:29:26 AM9/21/21
to
Xeno wrote on 21/9/21 2:05 pm:
Ah!! Okie Dokie, then!! ;-P
--
Daniel
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages