Element 14 Q?

已查看 32 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Phil Allison

未读,
2021年3月26日 01:28:412021/3/26
收件人
Hi,

have Element 14 outsourced their Sydney call centre ?
Every gal who answers seems to have an Asian accent.

Used to be a shining example of how to do the job right with an all Aussie staff.

..... Phil

Daniel65

未读,
2021年3月26日 02:06:382021/3/26
收件人
Phil Allison wrote on 26/3/21 4:28 pm:
Who or What is "Element 14"??

My Physics/Chemistry was never that good. ;-P
--
Daniel

Phil Allison

未读,
2021年3月26日 02:55:332021/3/26
收件人
Daniel65 wrote:

==============

> Who or What is "Element 14"??

** ROTFL !!!!

Formerly known as Farnell Electronic Components of the UK
Offices based in Chester Hill in Sydney.
Massive catalogue.

Also known as Newark in the USA.

FYI element 14 = silicon.

..... Phil

F Murtz

未读,
2021年7月28日 11:41:232021/7/28
收件人
silicone

Trevor Wilson

未读,
2021年7月28日 17:20:072021/7/28
收件人
**That would be silicon, not silicone. Silicon is an eleent, whilst
silicone is the name given to a wide range of compounds. Silicone is the
stuff found in older style fake boobs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

Trevor Wilson

未读,
2021年7月28日 18:19:272021/7/28
收件人
**Oops. Should read: "Silicon is an ELEMENT,...."

Phil Allison

未读,
2021年7月28日 22:46:552021/7/28
收件人
Trevor Wilson wrote:
==================

> **Oops. Should read: "Silicon is an ELEMENT,...."

** I found Farnell's new name confusing at first.

That Silicon had atomic number 14 did not spring to mind.
What did was Carbon 14.
Mentioned constantly in TV programs in relation " carbon dating " of antiquities.

FYI Carbon is element 12.

Dunno who thought " Element 14 " was a good name.
A committee of camels ?

..... Phil

Chris Jones

未读,
2021年7月29日 08:08:242021/7/29
收件人
On 29/07/2021 12:46, Phil Allison wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
> ==================
>>
>> **Oops. Should read: "Silicon is an ELEMENT,...."
>>

> ** I found Farnell's new name confusing at first.
>
> That Silicon had atomic number 14 did not spring to mind.
> What did was Carbon 14.
That's the mass number of that isotope, counting the protons plus
neutrons. (very nearly the atomic mass also)

> Mentioned constantly in TV programs in relation " carbon dating " of antiquities.
>
> FYI Carbon is element 12.
It's element 6 (atomic number is 6) - only count the protons for the
atomic number. Carbon-12 has a mass number of 12, and it is special
because its atomic mass is also defined to be exactly 12 and used as the
reference when measuring the other atomic masses accurately.

Trevor Wilson

未读,
2021年7月29日 16:09:252021/7/29
收件人
**I still don't get it. It's been, what, a decade or so since they
changed from Farnell? A search for Element14 returns the following words:

Element14, previously Farnell.

Why the fuck change the name from Farnell?

Near as I can tell, it was just a dumb thought-bubble.

Computer Nerd Kev

未读,
2021年7月29日 19:20:012021/7/29
收件人
I guess since they were calling themselves Newark in the US,
someone thought they should have a special name for dealing with
our end of the world as well. Insanity of course, and probably
costs them a fortune in doing different branding on forms and
publications, but I'm sure it helps to keep a lot of people busy
and feeling more important.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Trevor Wilson

未读,
2021年7月29日 20:26:132021/7/29
收件人
**Here's the thing: Newark was a pre-existing company with a formidable
reputation. Now I don't know if Farnell tried to kill off the Newark
name, but they are smart to use the existing Newark name. Farnell SHOULD
have kept Farnell in Australia.

Phil Allison

未读,
2021年7月29日 21:40:332021/7/29
收件人
Trevor Wilson wrote:
================

> > ** I found Farnell's new name confusing at first.
> >
> > That Silicon had atomic number 14 did not spring to mind.
> > What did was Carbon 14.
> > Mentioned constantly in TV programs in relation " carbon dating " of antiquities.
> >
> > Dunno who thought " Element 14 " was a good name.
> > A committee of camels ?
> >
> **I still don't get it. It's been, what, a decade or so since they
> changed from Farnell? A search for Element14 returns the following words:
>
> Element14, previously Farnell.
>
> Why the fuck change the name from Farnell?
>
> Near as I can tell, it was just a dumb thought-bubble.

** I never liked the magazine name "Silicon Chip" or it's logo.

When it first came out, Greg Swain asked me ( on the phone) if I liked the name.
Had to admit I didn't and he was "not amused".

Soon someone dubbed it "Silicon Chimp" - which it deserved.

..... Phil

keithr0

未读,
2021年7月30日 00:30:512021/7/30
收件人
Or maybe Silicon chump.

keithr0

未读,
2021年7月30日 00:32:002021/7/30
收件人
Likely some denizen of the marketing department trying to make a name
for himself.
0 个新帖子