No Battery Electric Bus

Phil Allison

Sep 11, 2021, 10:04:29 PM9/11/21
Hi,

while not a fan of most " Green " energy ideas - this one really appeals.
Done with good success decades ago, it is practical, cheap to install and run with no waste products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHyUDihL_FQ

Busses could travel 5kms or so between getting a fresh charge and off again in a couple of minutes.

..... Phil

Trevor Wilson

Sep 11, 2021, 11:51:32 PM9/11/21
**Nice. Some maths too. I like the video. Have you seen the battery
buses in Newcastle? Very impressive. A pantograph pops up at each
station, providing recharge for the battery.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 11, 2021, 11:54:17 PM9/11/21
**Whoops. Battery trams.

Phil Allison

Sep 12, 2021, 12:18:09 AM9/12/21
Trevor Wilson wrote:

=====================

> **Nice. Some maths too. I like the video. Have you seen the battery
> buses in Newcastle? Very impressive. A pantograph pops up at each
> station, providing recharge for the battery.

** Yep - just checked it out.
They call it " Light Rail " as with the non battery, similar system in Sydney.

BTW:

I liked how the flywheel bus got recharged so quickly by a hefty 3-phase motor from a three terminal overhead supply.
No electronics, very little electricals and just mechanical drive.

Here is the Wiki on the same thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

Q. How the heck was 3.4kWh per km considered expensive ?

Even today at domestic rates, that is only $1 per km for a 20+ seat bus !

...... Phil

Rod Speed

Sep 12, 2021, 1:00:05 AM9/12/21
Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote

> while not a fan of most " Green " energy ideas - this one really appeals.

Only to terminal fuckwits.

> Done with good success decades ago, it is practical,
> cheap to install and run with no waste products.

That is more mindless bullshit.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHyUDihL_FQ

> Busses could travel 5kms or so between getting a fresh charge and off
> again in a couple of minutes.

That couple of minutes is bullshit.

Phil Allison

Sep 12, 2021, 2:08:33 AM9/12/21
Rod Ex-Speed Cop Arsehole wrote:

> > Busses could travel 5kms or so between getting a fresh charge and off
> > again in a couple of minutes.
>
> That couple of minutes is bullshit.

" Charging a flywheel took between 30 seconds and 3 minutes;"