Rant - why is it so hard?

Sylvia Else

Sep 5, 2021, 10:51:22 PM9/5/21
My house didn't have a door bell when I moved in, and people just
knocked. That seemed OK, until recently when I had repeated failed
delivery attempts. After I'd installed a surveillance camera, it showed
that, rather to my surprise, on the most recent failure, the guy had
actually come to the door. Presumably, he knocked, but not loud enough.

So I installed a door bell. Tested it. It worked fine.

Then the very first time a delivery guy used it, it jammed in the on
position. Apparently, the bell push wasn't designed with delivery
drivers in mind.

Why is this so hard?

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 6, 2021, 12:31:33 AM9/6/21
**It's not. After trying several different doorbell solutions, I found this:

https://ring.com/au/en/products/video-doorbell-with-chime-pro-gen2

It is fucking brilliant. Quality is excellent. Easy to install. It even
comes with a teeny tiny spirit level. I ordered mine with two extension
bells (one in the house and one in the workshop). Here's the two really
nice things (and a whole bunch of regular nice things) about the system:

* You connect it to your home wi-fi network and it can 'talk' to your
cell phone or tablet anywhere on the planet.
* The camera senses movement, day or night, and announces visitors at
around 5 ~ 6 Metres, BEFORE the button is pushed. Last time I was in
Newcastle I spoke to a mate who popped around unannounced to my home. It
was pretty cool. You could, for instance, instruct the delivery guy to
leave the parcel, via the speaker in the doorbell.

I wired mine into a full time supply, so I don't rely on the allegedly
long pasting internal battery. Instructions are excellent and the system
just works flawlessly. The camera works quite well at night and very
well during the day. IR sensitive.

Phil Allison

Sep 6, 2021, 12:40:20 AM9/6/21
Trevor Wilson wrote:
================

> **It's not. After trying several different doorbell solutions, I found this:
>
> https://ring.com/au/en/products/video-doorbell-with-chime-pro-gen2
>
> It is fucking brilliant. Quality is excellent. Easy to install.

** Is the pic in colour ?

IME somewhat blurry B&W images are near useless at IDing anyone.

I already know an IR illuminated image is even worse.

..... Phil

Sylvia Else

Sep 6, 2021, 1:12:33 AM9/6/21
I'm thinking of sourcing one of these:

<https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/ATP16-SL1-612-M4SA-04G/CKN12300-ND/10059238>

and installing it in a 3D-printed housing.

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 6, 2021, 4:28:00 AM9/6/21
On 6/09/2021 2:40 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
> ================
>

>> **It's not. After trying several different doorbell solutions, I found this:
>>
>> https://ring.com/au/en/products/video-doorbell-with-chime-pro-gen2
>>
>> It is fucking brilliant. Quality is excellent. Easy to install.
>>

> ** Is the pic in colour ?

**Oh yeah. At night, of course, mono, because it is operating on the
internal IR emitters.

> IME somewhat blurry B&W images are near useless at IDing anyone.
>
> I already know an IR illuminated image is even worse.

**Although the picture is a little 'fisheye' quality (which is to be
expected, because it has excellent coverage of my porch and surrounds),
people I know are instantly recognisable.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 6, 2021, 4:29:48 AM9/6/21
**The advantage of the Ring system is that you don't have to rely on the
idiot pushing the doorbell. Of course your idea is very inexpensive. And
very, very limited.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 6, 2021, 4:31:53 AM9/6/21
On 6/09/2021 3:55 pm, noel wrote:
> ring, last time I looked they are only subscription based so I'd avoid,
> unless they've woken up to that flaw

**They are subscription based IF you want to save a video recording to
the cloud. I have no interest in that. I paid for the doorbell and there
is nothing else to pay. If I could be bothered, I could probably figure
out how to save video to my computer, or tablet. But I can't. So,
there's that.

Sylvia Else

Sep 6, 2021, 5:01:32 AM9/6/21
On 06-Sep-21 2:31 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
It's not immediately apparent whether any part of it works without
access so a specific set of internet servers. Depending on the continued
existence of a company to fund the servers doesn't give me comfort.

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 6, 2021, 5:55:53 AM9/6/21
**I already explained that all it wants to see is a wi-fi network. It
can be disconnected from the internet (which mine has once or twice) and
it works just fine. The only time it needs to be connected to the
internet, is if you want to use the (pay as you go) feature of storing
video on the company's server. Which I don't.

IOW: It doesn't matter if the company goes belly-up tomorrow. My
doorbell will work just fine.

When Bunnings opens up, go and have a look at one. Pretty nifty thing
and it neatly addresses ALL your problems. The thing is waterproof and
quite nicely constructed.

Daniel65

Sep 6, 2021, 6:55:29 AM9/6/21
Sylvia Else wrote on 6/9/21 3:12 pm:
I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for delivery!! ;-P

Manufacturer Standard Lead Time 13 Weeks
--
Daniel

Colin Earl

Sep 6, 2021, 7:28:23 AM9/6/21
That's only after the 53 in stock (at time of writing) are sold.

Buy today, should have it next week.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 6, 2021, 6:58:14 PM9/6/21
**Or buy something locally and have it on the doorstep in 24 hours:

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/push-button-switches/6903255/

I still reckon the Ring product will solve ALL Sylvia's problems. A
button will not.

Phil Allison

Sep 6, 2021, 7:15:56 PM9/6/21
Trevor Wilson wrote:
=================

> I still reckon the Ring product will solve ALL Sylvia's problems.

** You are kidding ?

The Sylvia troll is beyond help.

...... Phil

Sylvia Else

Sep 6, 2021, 7:17:47 PM9/6/21
On 06-Sep-21 9:28 pm, Colin Earl wrote:

> Buy today, should have it next week.

Actually, my recent experience suggests that if I buy it today, it will
be in Australia within a few days, and then languish indefinitely with
an unexplained delay.

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 6, 2021, 9:17:05 PM9/6/21
**Buy the Ring product. It will solve all the problems you mentioned.
Easy to install, everything is included (even, as I said, the cutest
little spirit level), is well made and doesn't have to be connected to
the internet. You can get it today.

Daniel65

Sep 7, 2021, 5:41:04 AM9/7/21
Colin Earl wrote on 6/9/21 9:28 pm:
AHHH!! That makes sense!! ;-)
--
Daniel

Daniel65

Sep 7, 2021, 5:43:47 AM9/7/21
Sylvia Else wrote on 7/9/21 9:17 am:
And didn't I hear, over the week-end or so, the Aust Post delivery vans
have been soooo overloaded with deliveries that they are going on a 'go
slow'!!
--
Daniel

Computer Nerd Kev

Sep 7, 2021, 7:16:19 PM9/7/21
Yeah, I had two packages sent via DHL on the 23rd, one from the USA
and the other from Singapore. They both arrived in Melbourne within
the week, the Singapore one a day or two earlier as you'd expect.
On Monday I picked up the USA one at the post office, still waiting
on the Singapore one. You can't apply logic to these things.

But DHL use Aus Post for the delivery within Australia, the courier
services used by RS and e14 don't (for me).

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Sylvia Else

Sep 7, 2021, 7:25:03 PM9/7/21
On the other hand, Toll delivered something to me (from Element14) on
Monday, but the tracking still shows it in transit.

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 8, 2021, 1:31:37 AM9/8/21
**I'm curious Sylvia. You've stated that you have two problems:

* Delivery guys don't push the doorbell button.
* When they do press the doorbell button, it sticks.

You're solution is to buy a waterproof, industrial quality push button.

However, that only solves one of the problems.

I provided a perfectly suitable solution to BOTH problems. It provides
additional features that you may or may not find useful.

Why is it not under consideration?

Curious minds want to know.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 8, 2021, 2:57:46 AM9/8/21
On 8/09/2021 3:31 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 8/09/2021 9:25 am, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Yeah, I had two packages sent via DHL on the 23rd, one from the USA
>>> and the other from Singapore. They both arrived in Melbourne within
>>> the week, the Singapore one a day or two earlier as you'd expect.
>>> On Monday I picked up the USA one at the post office, still waiting
>>> on the Singapore one. You can't apply logic to these things.
>>>
>>> But DHL use Aus Post for the delivery within Australia, the courier
>>> services used by RS and e14 don't (for me).
>>>

>> On the other hand, Toll delivered something to me (from Element14) on
>> Monday, but the tracking still shows it in transit.
>>
>> Sylvia.
> **I'm curious Sylvia. You've stated that you have two problems:
>
> * Delivery guys don't push the doorbell button.
> * When they do press the doorbell button, it sticks.
>
> You're solution is to buy a waterproof, industrial quality push button.

**Duh. Smacks head. Should read: "Your solution.."

Sylvia Else

Sep 8, 2021, 5:08:12 AM9/8/21
The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
door telling them to use the doorbell.

The WiFi solution is expensive, probably impossible to repair when it
breaks, and my microwave oven is powerful enough to disrupt Wifi when in
use.

I have no use for the video capabilities, since I have a video solution
in place.

I already have the chime, the bell transformer and the wiring for it.
All I need is a push-button that will last.

Sylvia.

Phil Allison

Sep 8, 2021, 6:54:08 AM9/8/21
Sylvia Else wrote:
================

> I already have the chime, the bell transformer and the wiring for it.
> All I need is a push-button that will last.

** IME

Micro-switch based push buttons are tops.
Used for launching wing mounted, heat seeking missiles and nuke weapons.

Door bells are a doddle.

..... Phil

Trevor Wilson

Sep 8, 2021, 5:06:38 PM9/8/21
**I bet that doesn't work. It hasn't for me. Sometimes, the lazy
arseholes just drop packages over the front fence. Fortunately, the
camera detects such activities and alerts me.

> The WiFi solution is expensive, probably impossible to repair when it
> breaks, and my microwave oven is powerful enough to disrupt Wifi when in
> use.

**Then you may have far more serious problems to worry about. It would
seem that you may have one or more of the following problems:

* Microwave leakage. This can be a VERY serious problem for your health.
Buy a leakage detector and check.
* The internal SMPS (if it uses one) may require suppression. Perhaps
the manufacturer is lazy, or existing suppression components are faulty.
* Mechanical switches may require suppression.
* Your WIFi is shit.

BTW: The Ring system operates by setting up it's own WiFi system, by
connecting to your existing one.

> I have no use for the video capabilities, since I have a video solution
> in place.

**OK.

> I already have the chime, the bell transformer and the wiring for it.
> All I need is a push-button that will last.

**OK. Then the one you have selected should do the trick. Buy from
Element14 or RS. We need to support local suppliers, or they will leave
the country forever. They are usually quicker than overeseas suppliers
too. WES is worth trying too.

Phil Allison

Sep 8, 2021, 7:34:16 PM9/8/21
Sylvia Else wrote:
------------------------------
> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
> door telling them to use the doorbell.

** ROTFL !

I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
Nevertheless, most knock on the door instead.
I guess they just don't see it.

BTW

there have been four occasions where a recording camera covering my door at a previous address would have been invaluable.
On one such it would have avoided my being falsely charged with a crime.
Recommended.

...... Phil

Trevor Wilson

Sep 8, 2021, 8:26:28 PM9/8/21
On 9/09/2021 9:34 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
> ------------------------------
>> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
>> door telling them to use the doorbell.
>
> ** ROTFL !
>
> I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
> Nevertheless, most knock on the door instead.
> I guess they just don't see it.

**SNAP! Same here. I wouldn't "most", but I reckon 50% still knock on
the door, despite the faux antique finish Ring doorbell button, which
has this neat illuminated ring around the button. It is impossible to
miss. Yet they still knock.

> BTW
>
> there have been four occasions where a recording camera covering my door at a previous address would have been invaluable.
> On one such it would have avoided my being falsely charged with a crime.
> Recommended.

**OUCH! I am chuffed with the Ring doorbell. Before I purchased it, I
consulted a guy who spends his working days installing professional
video intercoms (stuff that costs between $2k ~ $10k+). He told me that
he had installed a few Ring devices and found them to work flawlessly.

Sylvia Else

Sep 8, 2021, 10:27:09 PM9/8/21
On 09-Sep-21 9:34 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
> ------------------------------
>> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
>> door telling them to use the doorbell.
>
> ** ROTFL !
>
> I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
> Nevertheless, most knock on the door instead.
> I guess they just don't see it.

I might have to design a knock detector. Obvious issues are responding
to other noises, and in particular responding to the door being opened
and closed.

Hmmm....

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 8, 2021, 11:13:28 PM9/8/21
**You could do that.

OR, you could install a Ring system, which will detect a caller long
before they knock on the door and alert you.

Just a thought.

Phil Allison

Sep 9, 2021, 12:19:10 AM9/9/21
Sylvia Else wrote:
================

> >> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
> >> door telling them to use the doorbell.
> >
> > ** ROTFL !
> >
> > I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
> > Nevertheless, most knock on the door instead.
> > I guess they just don't see it.
>
> I might have to design a knock detector. Obvious issues are responding
> to other noises, and in particular responding to the door being opened
> and closed.

** A crazy situation exists for many people living in strata blocks:

Most such blocks have an external door bell and intercom system.
Inside each unit is a pretty loud sounder that residents soon get to accustomed treating as their door alarm.
Unique sound, nothing else like it, audible in each room.
Hearing it will get you out of bed in the morning, to see who the heck it is.

But one or two mornings each year, the "fire safety inspector" arrives.
They do not use the external bell system at all, cos they have a key to the main doors of the building.
Instead they tap, tap on each door. Maybe at 7am.

This does not wake anyone or even remind them of anyone being at the door - since that is not the right trigger sound.
In unit blocks, one hears random tapping noises all the time and learns to ignore them.
So your unit gets missed by the inspector and you cop a letter from strata with a nasty threat of a $2000 or more fine.

To avoid such NON EXISTENT fine you are to arrange a call back and pay a cash fee of $150 or more.

This nonsense is entirely as intended by the inspection company.
Backed up by assholes in strata management.

Been going on for almost 20 years so far.

..... Phil

Daniel65

Sep 9, 2021, 2:48:24 AM9/9/21
noel wrote on 8/9/21 10:36 pm:
> not quite, they are delaying their vans picking up parcels from online
> retailers in syd/melb only, until they clear a massive backlog.
> In Brisbane, I just got a parcel from WA in 3 days, so no go slow there :)

Ah, O.K., thanks for clearing that up. ;-P
--
Daniel

Daniel65

Sep 9, 2021, 3:02:50 AM9/9/21
Trevor Wilson wrote on 9/9/21 1:13 pm:
Does Sylvia have a fly-wire door?? Fit a normally open switch which
closes as soon as the fly-wire door is opened and rings the bell! Job
done. ;-)
--
Daniel

Daniel65

Sep 9, 2021, 3:08:11 AM9/9/21
Phil Allison wrote on 9/9/21 9:34 am:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
> ------------------------------
>> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
>> door telling them to use the doorbell.
>
> ** ROTFL !
>
> I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.

Why would anyone use the door bell system installed if the door is being
burned ('flame') all the time?? ;-P
--
Daniel

Phil Allison

Sep 9, 2021, 3:30:55 AM9/9/21
Daniel65 puked

> > I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
>
> Why would anyone use the door bell system installed if the door is being
> burned ('flame') all the time?? ;-P

** Wot a very interesting question -

from a lying troll, dope that wouldn't know if its stinking arse were on fire.

...... Phil

Jasen Betts

Sep 9, 2021, 4:30:43 AM9/9/21
You can buy knock sensors, they might work on doors :) or build
something, eg: a normally closed leaf switch with one leaf soldered to nail in the
door and the other soldered to a weight

Door slamming could be perhaps cured by a reed switch with a timeout

Perhaps a fast reed switch and a slow one in series, (a slow reed switch
is a regular reed switch inside a copper block)

--
Jasen.

Rod Speed

Sep 9, 2021, 3:24:52 PM9/9/21
Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
> Phil Allison wrote
>> Sylvia Else wrote

>>> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
>>> door telling them to use the doorbell.

>> ROTFL !

>> I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
>> Nevertheless, most knock on the door instead.
>> I guess they just don't see it.

> SNAP! Same here. I wouldn't "most", but I reckon 50% still knock on the
> door, despite the faux antique finish Ring doorbell button, which has this
> neat illuminated ring around the button. It is impossible to miss. Yet
> they still knock.

That’s because plenty of the fancy systems don’t
work anymore. Knocking on the door avoids that.

I have in fact done that myself, tho I usually do both.

Certainly that is the big advantage of the movement
detector approach, that works regardless of what the
delivery monkey chooses to do, even just drop the
parcel at the door and not even knock on the door
because that’s the quickest way to do things.

>> BTW

>> there have been four occasions where a recording camera covering my door
>> at a previous address would have been invaluable. On one such it would
>> have avoided my being falsely charged with a crime.
>> Recommended.

> OUCH! I am chuffed with the Ring doorbell. Before I purchased it, I
> consulted a guy who spends his working days installing professional video
> intercoms (stuff that costs between $2k ~ $10k+). He told me that he had
> installed a few Ring devices and found them to work flawlessly.

Wonder how many get stolen or vandalised ?

Rod Speed

Sep 9, 2021, 3:27:29 PM9/9/21
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
> Phil Allison wrote
>> Sylvia Else wrote

>>> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
>>> door telling them to use the doorbell.

>> ROTFL !

>> I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
>> Nevertheless, most knock on the door instead.
>> I guess they just don't see it.

> I might have to design a knock detector. Obvious issues are responding to
> other noises, and in particular responding to the door being opened and
> closed.

Wouldn’t be hard to include a door opening and closing sensor
and have the system include that in the knock detector.

> Hmmm....

Stop humming, it keeps us awake...

Trevor Wilson

Sep 9, 2021, 3:58:07 PM9/9/21
On 10/09/2021 5:24 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
>> Phil Allison wrote
>>> Sylvia Else wrote

>>> ROTFL  !
>
>>> I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.
>>> Nevertheless, most knock on the door instead.
>>> I guess they just don't see it.
>
>> SNAP! Same here. I wouldn't "most", but I reckon 50% still knock on
>> the door, despite the faux antique finish Ring doorbell button, which
>> has this neat illuminated ring around the button. It is impossible to
>> miss. Yet they still knock.
>
> That’s because plenty of the fancy systems don’t
> work anymore. Knocking on the door avoids that.
>
> I have in fact done that myself, tho I usually do both.
>
> Certainly that is the big advantage of the movement
> detector approach, that works regardless of what the
> delivery monkey chooses to do, even just drop the
> parcel at the door and not even knock on the door
> because that’s the quickest way to do things.

**Precisely.

>>> BTW
>
>>> there have been four occasions where a recording camera covering my
>>> door at a previous address would have been invaluable. On one such it
>>> would have avoided my being falsely charged with a crime.
>>> Recommended.
>
>> OUCH! I am chuffed with the Ring doorbell. Before I purchased it, I
>> consulted a guy who spends his working days installing professional
>> video intercoms (stuff that costs between $2k ~ $10k+). He told me
>> that he had installed a few Ring devices and found them to work
>> flawlessly.
>
> Wonder how many get stolen or vandalised ?

**Dunno. Around here, such things are extremely unlikely, though, in
other parts of Shitney, it is quite probable. They do supply Torx™ bolts
for installation, which makes removal slightly difficult for a casual
theif. That said, the Ring could be prised from the wall without much
difficulty. I suspect few could be bothered.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 9, 2021, 3:59:34 PM9/9/21
**Typo. After all, the 'L' and the 'F' keys are close together.

Oh, wait a sec.... Looks at keyboard.

Jasen Betts

Sep 9, 2021, 4:30:46 PM9/9/21
"R" and "F"

--
Jasen.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 9, 2021, 5:00:52 PM9/9/21
**LOL! That'll learn me to type messages after just waking up. [Smacks head]

Sylvia Else

Sep 9, 2021, 7:11:46 PM9/9/21
On 09-Sep-21 9:34 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
> ------------------------------
>> The not using the doorbell has been addressed by fitting a notice to the
>> door telling them to use the doorbell.
>
> ** ROTFL !
>
> I have a wireless doorbell with the push-button on the door flame.

The sign turns out not to be fool-proof.

A UPS driver misread "Please use the doorbell" as "Please use the door".
So he knocked and said that he could not see the door that the arrow was
pointing to. <sigh>

I'll make a new sign: "Ring the God-damned bell."

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

Sep 9, 2021, 7:13:08 PM9/9/21
**Hey, here's a thought: Buy the Ring system. Foolproof.

Sylvia Else

Sep 9, 2021, 8:58:11 PM9/9/21
On 06-Sep-21 3:12 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

> I'm thinking of sourcing one of these:
>
> <https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/ATP16-SL1-612-M4SA-04G/CKN12300-ND/10059238>
>

> and installing it in a 3D-printed housing.
>
> Sylvia.

It comes in various voltages for driving the LED. A resistor is
obviously involved, but it turns out that which voltage you order
determines which value resistor is supplied loose in the plastic bag
containing the switch.

Sylvia.

Phil Allison

Sep 9, 2021, 9:14:38 PM9/9/21
Sylvia Else wrote:
-------------------------

> A UPS driver misread "Please use the doorbell" as "Please use the door".
> So he knocked and said that he could not see the door that the arrow was
> pointing to. <sigh>
>
> I'll make a new sign: "Ring the God-damned bell."

** Shops often use simple IR beams to detect customers at the entry.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232135538477

.... Phil

Rod Speed

Sep 9, 2021, 11:19:30 PM9/9/21
Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
That Freud fella is pissing himself laughing...

Rod Speed

Sep 9, 2021, 11:23:00 PM9/9/21
Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote
> Sylvia Else wrote

>> A UPS driver misread "Please use the doorbell" as "Please use the door".
>> So he knocked and said that he could not see the door that the arrow was
>> pointing to. <sigh>
>>
>> I'll make a new sign: "Ring the God-damned bell."
>>

> Shops often use simple IR beams to detect customers at the entry.
>
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232135538477

Camera works much better, you can see if it’s the stupid
joveys or someone else who isn't worth answering the
door for and see if it’s a delivery monkey with a parcel etc.

Daniel65

Sep 10, 2021, 5:54:40 AM9/10/21
Trevor Wilson wrote on 10/9/21 5:59 am:
Hmm! I was thinking you meant to type "frame" but hit the 'l' in place
of the 'r'!! Would that be same finger but opposite hand or something??
--
Daniel

keithr0

Sep 11, 2021, 5:37:27 AM9/11/21
On 6/09/2021 7:55 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 6/09/2021 7:01 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> **It's not. After trying several different doorbell solutions, I
>>> found this:
>>>
>>> https://ring.com/au/en/products/video-doorbell-with-chime-pro-gen2
>>>
>>> It is fucking brilliant. Quality is excellent. Easy to install. It
>>> even comes with a teeny tiny spirit level. I ordered mine with two
>>> extension bells (one in the house and one in the workshop). Here's
>>> the two really nice things (and a whole bunch of regular nice things)
>>> about the system:
>>>
>>> * You connect it to your home wi-fi network and it can 'talk' to your
>>> cell phone or tablet anywhere on the planet.
>>> * The camera senses movement, day or night, and announces visitors at
>>> around 5 ~ 6 Metres, BEFORE the button is pushed. Last time I was in
>>> Newcastle I spoke to a mate who popped around unannounced to my home.
>>> It was pretty cool. You could, for instance, instruct the delivery
>>> guy to leave the parcel, via the speaker in the doorbell.
>>>
>>> I wired mine into a full time supply, so I don't rely on the
>>> allegedly long pasting internal battery. Instructions are excellent
>>> and the system just works flawlessly. The camera works quite well at
>>> night and very well during the day. IR sensitive.
>>>

>> It's not immediately apparent whether any part of it works without
>> access so a specific set of internet servers. Depending on the
>> continued existence of a company to fund the servers doesn't give me
>> comfort.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> **I already explained that all it wants to see is a wi-fi network. It
> can be disconnected from the internet (which mine has once or twice) and
> it works just fine. The only time it needs to be connected to the
> internet, is if you want to use the (pay as you go) feature of storing
> video on the company's server. Which I don't.
>
> IOW: It doesn't matter if the company goes belly-up tomorrow. My
> doorbell will work just fine.
>
> When Bunnings opens up, go and have a look at one. Pretty nifty thing
> and it neatly addresses ALL your problems. The thing is waterproof and
> quite nicely constructed.

Of course you are all missing the most obvious option, get a dog.
Anybody coming close to the door will provoke an immediate response.

It's a good deterrence to burglars too.

Daniel65

Sep 11, 2021, 7:22:41 AM9/11/21