New 'scope

Trevor Wilson

Jul 14, 2021, 6:29:00 PM7/14/21
I have to buy a new CRO for my part time offsider to use. The old
analogue Tektronix he uses has failed in one channel. I thought I'd just
buy a new digi-scope as they are pretty well priced now. These are the
two I am considering. Both are available for less than AUS$350.00, when
purchased from an Aussie source.

http://www.hantek.com/products/detail/17182

https://www.wavecom.com.au/04_product_documents/826/Brochure_SDS1102DL_Ver_2.30.pdf

The Hantek has 12 bit resolution, so appears, on the surface, to be a
better thing. There are some reports of poor software issues with
earlier Hanteks, though they may have been solved.

What are people's thoughts? It probably doesn't matter much, as it's
basic audio measurements that will be it's purpose. Other alternatives
or suggestions are welcome.

FWIW: My current banch 'scope if the very nice Rigol DS1054Z.

Trevor Wilson

Jul 14, 2021, 7:05:49 PM7/14/21
On 15/07/2021 8:28 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I have to buy a new CRO for my part time offsider to use. The old
> analogue Tektronix he uses has failed in one channel. I thought I'd just
> buy a new digi-scope as they are pretty well priced now. These are the
> two I am considering. Both are available for less than AUS$350.00, when
> purchased from an Aussie source.
>
> http://www.hantek.com/products/detail/17182
>
> https://www.wavecom.com.au/04_product_documents/826/Brochure_SDS1102DL_Ver_2.30.pdf

**Oops.

This is the correct link to the Siglent under consideration:

https://www.wavecom.com.au/product_view.php?id_product=1035

Phil Allison

Jul 14, 2021, 8:29:25 PM7/14/21
Trevor Wilson wrote:
===============

> I have to buy a new CRO for my part time offsider to use. The old
> analogue Tektronix he uses has failed in one channel. I thought I'd just
> buy a new digi-scope .

** There is no such term - the usual name is DSO.

> What are people's thoughts?

** You ARE desperate to cure your "purchase anxiety" !!

> It probably doesn't matter much, as it's
> basic audio measurements that will be it's purpose.

** The only thing that replaces a good analogue scope is another one.

Inflicting a low end DSO on your "offsider" in lieu of a Tek is horrible.

..... Phil

Trevor Wilson

Jul 14, 2021, 9:54:56 PM7/14/21
**Have you tried a late model, low end DSO, like the Rigol DS1054z?

NOT the DS1052E. I owned a DS1052E. I used it in combination with my old
analogue Tek, because the Tek did a lot of things better than the
DS1052E. The DS1054z is a VAST improvement on the DS1052E. So much so,
that I fitted out Tony's bench with the old Tek. The DS1054z is a
stunning achievement. So cheap, such a nice display and so much power
for so little money.

Phil Allison

Jul 14, 2021, 10:16:51 PM7/14/21
Trevor Wilson makes no Sense:
========================

> >> I have to buy a new CRO for my part time offsider to use. The old
> >> analogue Tektronix he uses has failed in one channel. I thought I'd just
> >> buy a new digi-scope .
> >
> > ** There is no such term - the usual name is DSO.
> >
> > > What are people's thoughts?
> >
> > ** You ARE desperate to cure your "purchase anxiety" !!
> >
> >> It probably doesn't matter much, as it's
> >> basic audio measurements that will be it's purpose.
> >
> > ** The only thing that replaces a good analogue scope is another one.
> >
> > Inflicting a low end DSO on your "offsider" in lieu of a Tek is horrible.

> **Have you tried a late model, low end DSO, like the Rigol DS1054z?

** Yawnnnnn - same old TW mindless * hi-fi salesman * bullshit.

Totally avoids the issue cos he has no answer.

..... Phil

Clocky

Jul 24, 2021, 1:47:34 AM7/24/21
How is an analog scope better then a low end DSO in your toaster repair
field of expertise?