Jaycar.

keithr0

May 26, 2022, 3:03:04 AM5/26/22
It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, and Wesfarmers are
looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M.

Sylvia Else

May 26, 2022, 4:51:53 AM5/26/22
On 26-May-22 5:03 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, and Wesfarmers are
> looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M.

Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store, the
way they did with Dick Smith, and destroy its market in the process.

Sylvia.

Trevor Wilson

May 26, 2022, 3:01:15 PM5/26/22
**You mean the market for over-priced junk and counterfeit electronic
components?

Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades.

Rod Speed

May 26, 2022, 6:25:34 PM5/26/22
Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote
> keithr0 wrote

>> It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, andWesfarmers are
>> looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M.

> Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store, the
> way they did with Dick Smith,

Those operations didn't do it to Dick Smith.

Rod Speed

May 26, 2022, 6:27:55 PM5/26/22
Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
> Sylvia Else wrote
>> keithr0 wrote

>>> It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, and Wesfarmers
>>> are looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M.

>> Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store,
>> the way they did with Dick Smith, and destroy its market in the process.

> You mean the market for over-priced junk

Quite a bit of their stuff isn't junk. Sure, it is higher priced that
from aliexpress etc, but handy if you need something quickly.

> and counterfeit electronic components?

> Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades.

More of your mindless bullshit.

keithr0

May 26, 2022, 9:49:06 PM5/26/22
I get most of my stuff from china, but, if I need something now, I'll go
to Jaycar because it's 20 minutes away. I'd rather go to Altronics, but
that's half way to Brisbane ans at leas 45 minutes drive.

Clocky

May 27, 2022, 1:23:26 AM5/27/22
On 27/05/2022 3:01 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 26/05/2022 6:51 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 26-May-22 5:03 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> It has been reported that JB Hi, Super Retail Group, and Wesfarmers
>>> are looking to buy Jaycar valued at ~$500M.
>>
>> Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store,
>> the way they did with Dick Smith, and destroy its market in the process.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> **You mean the market for over-priced junk and counterfeit electronic
> components?

Counterfeit? Well apart from that dude that did the Arduino (IIRC)
starter kit which they blatantly copied, what other examples are there?

> Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades.

Rubbish.

Sure, they sell junk but they're also handy if you need something and it
doesn't need to be top shelf. Very convenient for hobbyists.

We don't have a Jaycar, only an agent but they are very helpful and are
happy to get things in from other suppliers on their stock orders and
not charge additional freight.

Trevor Wilson

May 27, 2022, 2:30:53 AM5/27/22
On 27/05/2022 3:23 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 27/05/2022 3:01 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> Then they'll convert it into a standard consumer electronics store,
>>> the way they did with Dick Smith, and destroy its market in the process.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> **You mean the market for over-priced junk and counterfeit electronic
>> components?
>>

> Counterfeit? Well apart from that dude that did the Arduino (IIRC)
> starter kit which they blatantly copied, what other examples are there?

**Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
that do not meet their published specs. Notably, they were caught
selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that didn't come close to the
manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were caught out. Jaycar were
kind enough to refund their purchase price, but not the time spent
fixing the same fault several times. One of my mates got caught out,
when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar parts. He lost 4 hours
chasing his tail.

>> Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades.
>>

> Rubbish.
>
> Sure, they sell junk but they're also handy if you need something and it
> doesn't need to be top shelf. Very convenient for hobbyists.

**Sure. Hobbyists don't care if something they've repaired blows up
again. Don't get me wrong: I have a Jaycar 15 minutes from my home and
if I need something desperately and/or not critical, I'll buy from them.
However, all my US/Euro semiconductors and electrolytic caps come from
an ISO9001 supplier, like Element14, RS or X-On. Japanese semis are from
WES, which are not immune from selling counterfeit semis either. I was
caught a couple of time. And their electros are rubbish.

> We don't have a Jaycar, only an agent but they are very helpful and are
> happy to get things in from other suppliers on their stock orders and
> not charge additional freight.

**Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up. I do.

Rod Speed

May 27, 2022, 7:19:50 AM5/27/22
On Fri, 27 May 2022 16:30:48 +1000, Trevor Wilson
<tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

> On 27/05/2022 3:23 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> **You mean the market for over-priced junk and counterfeit electronic
>>> components?
>>>
>> Counterfeit? Well apart from that dude that did the Arduino (IIRC)
>> starter kit which they blatantly copied, what other examples are there?
>
> Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
> that do not meet their published specs.

So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

> Notably, they were caught selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that
> didn't come close to the manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were
> caught out. Jaycar were kind enough to refund their purchase price, but
> not the time spent fixing the same fault several times. One of my mates
> got caught out, when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar parts.
> He lost 4 hours chasing his tail.

So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

>>> Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for decades.
>>>

>> Rubbish.
>> Sure, they sell junk but they're also handy if you need something and
>> it doesn't need to be top shelf. Very convenient for hobbyists.

> Sure. Hobbyists don't care if something they've repaired blows up again.
> Don't get me wrong: I have a Jaycar 15 minutes from my home and if I
> need something desperately and/or not critical, I'll buy from them.

So your original is just more of your mindless bullshit.

> However, all my US/Euro semiconductors and electrolytic caps come from
> an ISO9001 supplier, like Element14, RS or X-On. Japanese semis are from
> WES, which are not immune from selling counterfeit semis either. I was
> caught a couple of time. And their electros are rubbish.

So only buy the other stuff from Jaycar, stupid.

>> We don't have a Jaycar, only an agent but they are very helpful and
>> are happy to get things in from other suppliers on their stock orders
>> and not charge additional freight.

> Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something...

> I do.

Phil Allison

May 27, 2022, 7:15:41 PM5/27/22
Trevor Wilson wrote:
================

> >> **You mean the market for over-priced junk and counterfeit electronic
> >> components?
> >>

> > Counterfeit? Well apart from that dude that did the Arduino (IIRC)
> > starter kit which they blatantly copied, what other examples are there?
>>
> **Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
> that do not meet their published specs. Notably, they were caught
> selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that didn't come close to the
> manufacturer's specs.

** DSE had the same numbers with "TIC" branded parts in the 1980s.
Sold thousands of re-branded scrap transistors as being genuine - both in kits and over the counter.
Did it again in the 2000s with fake Motorola branded MJ15003/4 that were useless.
Rod Irving did the same and Jaycar was caught with hundreds of the same fakes.
WES had thousands of TO3 fakes in stock , maybe still do.

All were result of *reckless* purchasing practises and totally clueless staff.
Ebay is also flooded with fake TO3 and flat pack parts for audio.

BTW
Don't buy Jarcar Digital Panel Meter QP5585.
They are rejects and fail completely in a few months.

...... Phil

Clocky

May 27, 2022, 9:01:19 PM5/27/22
That's why they exist.

> However, all my US/Euro semiconductors and electrolytic caps come from
> an ISO9001 supplier, like Element14, RS or X-On. Japanese semis are from
> WES, which are not immune from selling counterfeit semis either. I was
> caught a couple of time. And their electros are rubbish.

*None* of them are immune to sourcing and selling counterfeits so you
really haven't made your point.

>> We don't have a Jaycar, only an agent but they are very helpful and
>> are happy to get things in from other suppliers on their stock orders
>> and not charge additional freight.
>>

> **Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up. I do.

So source your parts from you ISO9001 suppliers and good luck but it
doesn't change the fact Jaycar are handy for hobbyists, their target
customers and everyone else who needs something urgently you included.
So your "Good riddance. Jaycar has been a blight on the industry for
decades." is absolutely rubbish.

You would do well to be less absolute. People who are so certain of
themselves often overlook things... I've seen it in my trade often
enough and they often end up costing the customer more in charged time
than it should have...

Phil Allison

May 27, 2022, 9:51:03 PM5/27/22
Clocky = Cockhead wrote:

> > **Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
> > that do not meet their published specs. Notably, they were caught
> > selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that didn't come close to the
> > manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were caught out. Jaycar were
> > kind enough to refund their purchase price, but not the time spent
> > fixing the same fault several times. One of my mates got caught out,
> > when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar parts. He lost 4 hours
> > ch
> >
> *None* of them are immune to sourcing and selling counterfeits

** False argument.

Unlike Jaycar et alia, E14 and RS do not engage in reckless purchasing and can trace stock to factory sources.

> you really haven't made your point.

** Whereas YOU *never* had one at all.

> > **Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up. I do.
> >
> So source your parts from you ISO9001 suppliers and good luck but it
> doesn't change the fact Jaycar are handy for hobbyists, their target
> customers

** Whom they routinely piss on.

..... Phil

Trevor Wilson

May 28, 2022, 2:06:00 AM5/28/22
On 27/05/2022 9:19 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2022 16:30:48 +1000, Trevor Wilson
> <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>>  Counterfeit? Well apart from that dude that did the Arduino (IIRC)
>>> starter kit which they blatantly copied, what other examples are there?
>>
>> Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
>> that do not meet their published specs.
>
> So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

**I no longer do. Nuts, bolts, screws, junky toys, etc is all Jaycar is
useful for.

>> Notably, they were caught selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that
>> didn't come close to the manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were
>> caught out. Jaycar were kind enough to refund their purchase price,
>> but not the time spent fixing the same fault several times. One of my
>> mates got caught out, when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar
>> parts. He lost 4 hours chasing his tail.
>
> So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

**Here's the thing: Those of us who have purchased such components have
been burned.

>>>  Rubbish.
>>>  Sure, they sell junk but they're also handy if you need something
>>> and it doesn't need to be top shelf. Very convenient for hobbyists.
>
>> Sure. Hobbyists don't care if something they've repaired blows up
>> again. Don't get me wrong: I have a Jaycar 15 minutes from my home and
>> if I need something desperately and/or not critical, I'll buy from them.
>
> So your original is just more of your mindless bullshit.

**My original what?

>> However, all my US/Euro semiconductors and electrolytic caps come from
>> an ISO9001 supplier, like Element14, RS or X-On. Japanese semis are
>> from WES, which are not immune from selling counterfeit semis either.
>> I was caught a couple of time. And their electros are rubbish.
>
> So only buy the other stuff from Jaycar, stupid.

**Duh.

>>>  We don't have a Jaycar, only an agent but they are very helpful and
>>> are happy to get things in from other suppliers on their stock orders
>>> and not charge additional freight.
>
>> Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up.
>
> Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something...

**Of course hobbyists care. They just don't understand why their project
has blown up. They just assume that they've done something stupid, when,
in reality, the only stupid thing they did was to buy shitty components
from Jaycar.

Phil Allison

May 28, 2022, 3:30:43 AM5/28/22
Phil Allison wrote:
==============

> > > **Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
> > > that do not meet their published specs. Notably, they were caught
> > > selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that didn't come close to the
> > > manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were caught out. Jaycar were
> > > kind enough to refund their purchase price, but not the time spent
> > > fixing the same fault several times. One of my mates got caught out,
> > > when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar parts. He lost 4 hours
> > > ch
> > >
> > *None* of them are immune to sourcing and selling counterfeits
> ** False argument.
>
> Unlike Jaycar et alia, E14 and RS do not engage in reckless purchasing and can trace stock to factory sources.

** See recent vid on typical Sanken brand fakes from Ebay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvyNIEGI-s

Even possible to buy fake electros too.
22uF, 500V axials turned out to be old 400V radial caps removed and re packaged from used CFLs.

..... Phil

Trevor Wilson

May 28, 2022, 4:11:52 AM5/28/22
**YIKES!

Jaycar buyers will likely seek them out.

Rod Speed

May 28, 2022, 2:54:10 PM5/28/22
On Sat, 28 May 2022 16:05:55 +1000, Trevor Wilson
<tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

> On 27/05/2022 9:19 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 May 2022 16:30:48 +1000, Trevor Wilson
>> <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>> Jaycar are notorious for selling dodgy, Chinese, re-branded components
>>> that do not meet their published specs.

>> So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

> I no longer do. Nuts, bolts, screws, junky toys, etc is all Jaycar is
> useful for.

More of your utterly mindless bullshit.

I had an urgent need for a plugpack when lightning took out
the one that powered the security system at the local Salvos.
I replaced it with one from the local Jaycar because the local
Salvos use theirs to catch shop thieves and it is still working fine.

When my FTTN system went out for a day or two without notice
I couldn't put my hand on my wifi dongle so I got another from
the local Jaycar. Price was quite a it higher than from anyone
else but cheaper than from Hardly Normal, the only other source
in my country town. Worked fine and still does and much more
convenient than no internet for a couple of days.

>>> Notably, they were caught selling MJ15003/MJ15004 transistors that
>>> didn't come close to the manufacturer's specs. Quite a few techs were
>>> caught out. Jaycar were kind enough to refund their purchase price,
>>> but not the time spent fixing the same fault several times. One of my
>>> mates got caught out, when he was repairing a TV set with dodgy Jaycar
>>> parts. He lost 4 hours chasing his tail.

>> So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

> Here's the thing: Those of us who have purchased such components have
> been burned.

So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

>>> Sure. Hobbyists don't care if something they've repaired blows up
>>> again. Don't get me wrong: I have a Jaycar 15 minutes from my home and
>>> if I need something desperately and/or not critical, I'll buy from
>>> them.

>> So your original is just more of your mindless bullshit.

> My original what?

Claim/post etc.

>>> However, all my US/Euro semiconductors and electrolytic caps come from
>>> an ISO9001 supplier, like Element14, RS or X-On. Japanese semis are
>>> from WES, which are not immune from selling counterfeit semis either.
>>> I was caught a couple of time. And their electros are rubbish.
>> So only buy the other stuff from Jaycar, stupid.
>
> **Duh.

>>> Like I said: Hobbyists don't care if something blows up.
>> Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something...
>
> Of course hobbyists care. They just don't understand why their project
> has blown up. They just assume that they've done something stupid, when,
> in reality, the only stupid thing they did was to buy shitty components
> from Jaycar.

None of my purchases from Jaycar have blown up.

Trevor Wilson

May 28, 2022, 4:52:18 PM5/28/22
**My experience with Jaycar plugpacks is not as stellar. I worked on a
project for a client a few years back and I purchased 600 X 15VAC, 300ma
plug packs from Jaycar. After a few months in the field they began
failing (the absolute maximum current drawn was 100ma). When 10% if the
plugpacks had failed, I sourced new plugpacks from an Australian
manufacturer. These were rated at 16VAC, 100ma. To date (and it has been
25 years) I've had to supply 3 replacements.

A 10% failure rate is appallingly bad. A 10% failure rate in a period of
a few months is simply unforgivable.

> When my FTTN system went out for a day or two without notice
> I couldn't put my hand on my wifi dongle so I got another from
> the local Jaycar. Price was quite a it higher than from anyone
> else but cheaper than from Hardly Normal, the only other source
> in my country town. Worked fine and still does and much more
> convenient than no internet for a couple of days.

>>>  So don't buy those components from them. stupid.
>
>> Here's the thing: Those of us who have purchased such components have
>> been burned.
>
> So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

**And, once more: How do people know what not to buy, unless they have
already purchased rubbish?

>>>  So your original is just more of your mindless bullshit.
>
>> My original what?
>
> Claim/post etc.

**My original claim is spot-on. Jaycar sell over-priced rubbish. Their
products are unreliable and many of their components are below spec
and/or counterfeit.

>>>  So only buy the other stuff from Jaycar, stupid.
>>
>> **Duh.

>>>  Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something...
>>
>> Of course hobbyists care. They just don't understand why their project
>> has blown up. They just assume that they've done something stupid,
>> when, in reality, the only stupid thing they did was to buy shitty
>> components from Jaycar.
>
> None of my purchases from Jaycar have blown up.

**Uh-huh.

Rod Speed

May 28, 2022, 5:31:34 PM5/28/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 06:52:14 +1000, Trevor Wilson
> My experience with Jaycar plugpacks is not as stellar. I worked on a
> project for a client a few years back and I purchased 600 X 15VAC, 300ma
> plug packs from Jaycar. After a few months in the field they began
> failing (the absolute maximum current drawn was 100ma). When 10% if the
> plugpacks had failed, I sourced new plugpacks from an Australian
> manufacturer. These were rated at 16VAC, 100ma. To date (and it has been
> 25 years) I've had to supply 3 replacements.
>
> A 10% failure rate is appallingly bad. A 10% failure rate in a period of
> a few months is simply unforgivable.

The one I got is still working fine.

>> When my FTTN system went out for a day or two without notice
>> I couldn't put my hand on my wifi dongle so I got another from
>> the local Jaycar. Price was quite a it higher than from anyone
>> else but cheaper than from Hardly Normal, the only other source
>> in my country town. Worked fine and still does and much more
>> convenient than no internet for a couple of days.

>>> Here's the thing: Those of us who have purchased such components have
>>> been burned.

>> So don't buy those components from them. stupid.

> And, once more: How do people know what not to buy, unless they have
> already purchased rubbish?

You can get real radical and ask others who have bought stuff from Jaycar.

>>> My original what?
>> Claim/post etc.

> My original claim is spot-on.

Bullshit it is.

> Jaycar sell over-priced rubbish.

They sell plenty of adequate quality stuff and some find
they need something right now and don't need the week's
delay from another Oz supplier or the months delay with
aliexpress or ebay sellers who use chinese suppliers.

> Their products are unreliable

That's bullshit with plenty of them.

> and many of their components are below spec and/or counterfeit.

So don't buy those, stupid.

>>> **Duh.

>>> Of course hobbyists care. They just don't understand why their project
>>> has blown up. They just assume that they've done something stupid,
>>> when, in reality, the only stupid thing they did was to buy shitty
>>> components from Jaycar.

>> None of my purchases from Jaycar have blown up.

> Uh-huh.

Fraid so.

Trevor Wilson

May 28, 2022, 5:57:00 PM5/28/22
**Your sample experience of ONE is duly noted. MY sample experience was
SIX HUNDRED. A 10% failure rate within a few months is appalling.

>>>  When my FTTN system went out for a day or two without notice
>>> I couldn't put my hand on my wifi dongle so I got another from
>>> the local Jaycar. Price was quite a it higher than from anyone
>>> else but cheaper than from Hardly Normal, the only other source
>>> in my country town. Worked fine and still does and much more
>>> convenient than no internet for a couple of days.

>>>  So don't buy those components from them. stupid.
>
>> And, once more: How do people know what not to buy, unless they have
>> already purchased rubbish?
>
> You can get real radical and ask others who have bought stuff from Jaycar.

**At some point, someone has to be the first. Phil Allison was one of,
if not, the first person to publicise the failings of Jaycar and Dick
Smith WRT counterfeit parts.

And, here's the thing: We already have a system in place to ensure
consumers obtain quality parts. It's called ISO9001 accreditation. RS
Components, ELement14, X-On and others have it. Jaycar doesn't.

>>>  Claim/post etc.
>
>> My original claim is spot-on.
>
> Bullshit it is.

**Not only have I provided examples to prove you wrong, but Jaycar's
failings are well documented.

>> Jaycar sell over-priced rubbish.
>
> They sell plenty of adequate quality stuff and some find
> they need something right now and don't need the week's
> delay from another Oz supplier or the months delay with
> aliexpress or ebay sellers who use chinese suppliers.

**How do you know if anything Jaycar sells is adequate? They don't have
ISO9001 accreditation.

>> Their products are unreliable
>
> That's bullshit with plenty of them.

**Sure. Their nuts and bolts are OK.

>> and many of their components are below spec  and/or counterfeit.
>
> So don't buy those, stupid.

**Tell me, in as much detail as you feel necessary, how YOU go about
ascertaining if a (say) MJ15003 transistor is counterfeit or not.

More importantly: Why should any consumer be forced to carefully check
every component they buy, before they install it into a project or
repair job?

>>>  None of my purchases from Jaycar have blown up.
>
>> Uh-huh.
>
> Fraid so.

**Time will tell.

Phil Allison

May 28, 2022, 6:28:18 PM5/28/22
Trevor Wilson wrote:
==================

> **At some point, someone has to be the first. Phil Allison was one of,
> if not, the first person to publicise the failings of Jaycar and Dick
> Smith WRT counterfeit parts.

** Could only do that when internet forums allowed such publication.

Before that, I could not get magazines like EA or Electronics Today to even mention it - though worthless, fake MJ number TO3s were ruining power amp kits produced to their published designs.
I remember speaking to Roger Harrison ( ET) and Gary Cratt ( DSE ) about the issue.
Both had nothing sensible to say.

> And, here's the thing: We already have a system in place to ensure
> consumers obtain quality parts. It's called ISO9001 accreditation. RS
> Components, ELement14, X-On and others have it. Jaycar doesn't.

** Hold on a mo !!!
A few years back, Jaycar used to *brag* about being ISO9001 accredited.
Huge joke, all they could ever do was record files of which shonky dealers they bought stuff from.
By chance, I found out one of them was Ellistronics.

> **Tell me, in as much detail as you feel necessary, how YOU go about
> ascertaining if a (say) MJ15003 transistor is counterfeit or not.

** There is only one sure way - trace it to the factory that made it.
MJ xxxx numbers are propriety to Motorola or ON Semi and cannot be made by outsiders like 2Nxxxx types.

> More importantly: Why should any consumer be forced to carefully check
> every component they buy, before they install it into a project or
> repair job?

** You mean like they have to with valves ?

..... Phil

Rod Speed

May 28, 2022, 6:28:22 PM5/28/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 07:56:54 +1000, Trevor Wilson
> Your sample experience of ONE is duly noted.

There you go again, face down in the mud, as always. It was more than one.

> MY sample experience was SIX HUNDRED. A 10% failure rate within a few
> months is appalling.

With just ONE model, stupid.

>>> And, once more: How do people know what not to buy, unless they have
>>> already purchased rubbish?

>> You can get real radical and ask others who have bought stuff from
>> Jaycar.

> At some point, someone has to be the first.

I am never first with what I buy from Jaycar.

> Phil Allison was one of, if not, the first person to publicise the
> failings of Jaycar and Dick Smith WRT counterfeit parts.

I don't buy stuff that can be counterfeited from Jaycar.

> And, here's the thing: We already have a system in place to ensure
> consumers obtain quality parts. It's called ISO9001 accreditation. RS
> Components, ELement14, X-On and others have it. Jaycar doesn't.

None of those have a walk in in my country town except Jaycar, stupid.

>>> My original claim is spot-on.

>> Bullshit it is.

> Not only have I provided examples to prove you wrong,

You didn't prove me wrong on walk in access, fuckwit.

> but Jaycar's failings are well documented.

In spades with the lack of any other walk in in my country town, fuckwit.

>>> Jaycar sell over-priced rubbish.
>> They sell plenty of adequate quality stuff and some find
>> they need something right now and don't need the week's
>> delay from another Oz supplier or the months delay with
>> aliexpress or ebay sellers who use chinese suppliers.

> How do you know if anything Jaycar sells is adequate?

Buy buying it and see if it works and doesn't fail soon, stupid.

> They don't have ISO9001 accreditation.

But do have walk in access in my town, fuckwit.

>>> Their products are unreliable

>> That's bullshit with plenty of them.

> Sure. Their nuts and bolts are OK.

Lot more than just their nuts and bolts, you pathetic excuse for a
bullshit artist.

>>> and many of their components are below spec and/or counterfeit.

>> So don't buy those, stupid.

> Tell me, in as much detail as you feel necessary, how YOU go about
> ascertaining if a (say) MJ15003 transistor is counterfeit or not.

I don't buy those from Jaycar, fuckwit.

> More importantly: Why should any consumer be forced to carefully check
> every component they buy, before they install it into a project or
> repair job?

When they need it right now, fuckwit.

>>> Uh-huh.
>> Fraid so.
>
> **Time will tell.

Time has already told. I haven't bought anything from them since before
covid, fuckwit.

keithr0

May 28, 2022, 9:29:11 PM5/28/22
On 29/05/2022 6:52 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **My experience with Jaycar plugpacks is not as stellar. I worked on a
> project for a client a few years back and I purchased 600 X 15VAC, 300ma
> plug packs from Jaycar. After a few months in the field they began
> failing (the absolute maximum current drawn was 100ma). When 10% if the
> plugpacks had failed, I sourced new plugpacks from an Australian
> manufacturer. These were rated at 16VAC, 100ma. To date (and it has been
> 25 years) I've had to supply 3 replacements.
>
> A 10% failure rate is appallingly bad. A 10% failure rate in a period of
> a few months is simply unforgivable.

Have you not heard of the "Bathtub" curve of reliability? Over a large
number of components, the failure rate is high early on, then it falls
to a lower steady level rising again when the component reaches EOL. We
used to deal in 10s of thousands of hard disks, and the effect was very
noticeable.

Phil Allison

May 28, 2022, 9:33:58 PM5/28/22
Pommy keithr0 lunatic wrote:
===========================
> On 29/05/2022 6:52 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
> > **My experience with Jaycar plugpacks is not as stellar. I worked on a
> > project for a client a few years back and I purchased 600 X 15VAC, 300ma
> > plug packs from Jaycar. After a few months in the field they began
> > failing (the absolute maximum current drawn was 100ma). When 10% if the
> > plugpacks had failed, I sourced new plugpacks from an Australian
> > manufacturer. These were rated at 16VAC, 100ma. To date (and it has been
> > 25 years) I've had to supply 3 replacements.
> >
> > A 10% failure rate is appallingly bad. A 10% failure rate in a period of
> > a few months is simply unforgivable.
>
> Have you not heard of the "Bathtub" curve of reliability?

** Massive, stupid irrelevance.

> Over a large number of components,

** How many parts are there in an AC plugpak ?
The answer is one.

How long do such items usually last.
Answer, 20 years plus.

..... Phil

Gary R. Schmidt

May 29, 2022, 1:34:06 AM5/29/22
On 29/05/2022 07:56, Trevor Wilson wrote:
[SNIP]
> And, here's the thing: We already have a system in place to ensure
> consumers obtain quality parts. It's called ISO9001 accreditation. RS
> Components, ELement14, X-On and others have it. Jaycar doesn't.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but ISO9001 does *not* guarantee quality,
only that a defined process was followed.

So if the parts that get loaded into the container are rejects from the
sweepings of the factory floors in Guangzhou, but the *paperwork* says
the are "titanium-plated watsits", then ISO9001 has been followed.

Doesn't help when your watsit blows up or fails catastrophically.

There was an example of this large-scale failure of process back in the
1980s in the USA to do with aircraft parts. There were fatalities, IIRC.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

keithr0

May 29, 2022, 1:48:03 AM5/29/22
On 29/05/2022 11:33 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Pommy keithr0 lunatic wrote:
> ===========================
>> On 29/05/2022 6:52 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> **My experience with Jaycar plugpacks is not as stellar. I worked on a
>>> project for a client a few years back and I purchased 600 X 15VAC, 300ma
>>> plug packs from Jaycar. After a few months in the field they began
>>> failing (the absolute maximum current drawn was 100ma). When 10% if the
>>> plugpacks had failed, I sourced new plugpacks from an Australian
>>> manufacturer. These were rated at 16VAC, 100ma. To date (and it has been
>>> 25 years) I've had to supply 3 replacements.
>>>
>>> A 10% failure rate is appallingly bad. A 10% failure rate in a period of
>>> a few months is simply unforgivable.
>>
>> Have you not heard of the "Bathtub" curve of reliability?
>
> ** Massive, stupid irrelevance.

Since you've never worked on anything more complex than a toaster, I
wouldn't expect you to be able to understand.

>> Over a large number of components,
>
> ** How many parts are there in an AC plugpak ?
> The answer is one.

The plugpack is the component you idiot.

Trevor Wilson

May 29, 2022, 2:10:46 AM5/29/22
**So, I take that you consider a 10% failure rate in the first half of
your bathtub curve is acceptable?

I do not. It is completely unacceptable.

Back when I worked at Marantz, the Model 1070 was quite reliable and
used several hundred individual components. The failure rate was 0.5%
within the 3 year warranty period.

And, to underline the reliability thing, the device that the plugpack
was used with consisted of a microprocessor, 2 line LCD display, a NiCad
battery pack and a few dozen support components, including NiCad
charger. Only one was returned for repair and that turned out to be a
fault with the 128 strand, silicone wire leads that was connected to the
outside world.

Yet, Jaycar plugpacks exhibited a 10% failure rate. Their replacement
packs (which cost more) were made in Australia and have exhibited a far
greater reliability.

Phil Allison

May 29, 2022, 3:12:26 AM5/29/22
Pommy keithr0 rabid lunatic wrote:
=============================

> >> Have you not heard of the "Bathtub" curve of reliability?
> >
> > ** Massive, stupid irrelevance.

> Since ....

** Fuck off you bullshitting pommy cunthead.

> >> Over a large number of components,
> >
> > ** How many parts are there in an AC plugpak ?
> > The answer is one.

> The plugpack is the component you idiot.

** Wot insane crap.

....... Phil

Xeno

May 29, 2022, 3:26:31 AM5/29/22
On 29/5/2022 5:12 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Pommy keithr0 rabid lunatic wrote:
> =============================

>>> ** Massive, stupid irrelevance.
>
>> Since ....
>
> ** Fuck off you bullshitting pommy cunthead.

That'd be an emphatic *NO* then.....

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Phil Allison

May 29, 2022, 5:07:36 AM5/29/22
Xeno = ASD fucked retard

=======================

>> Pommy keithr0 rabid lunatic wrote:
> > =============================

> >> Since ....
> >
> > ** Fuck off you bullshitting pommy cunthead.
> >
> That'd be an emphatic *NO* then....

** That would be another, steaming great dog turd straight out you fucking arse.

..... Phil

keithr0

May 29, 2022, 5:28:43 AM5/29/22
On 29/05/2022 4:10 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 29/05/2022 11:29 am, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 29/05/2022 6:52 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> **My experience with Jaycar plugpacks is not as stellar. I worked on
>>> a project for a client a few years back and I purchased 600 X 15VAC,
>>> 300ma plug packs from Jaycar. After a few months in the field they
>>> began failing (the absolute maximum current drawn was 100ma). When
>>> 10% if the plugpacks had failed, I sourced new plugpacks from an
>>> Australian manufacturer. These were rated at 16VAC, 100ma. To date
>>> (and it has been 25 years) I've had to supply 3 replacements.
>>>
>>> A 10% failure rate is appallingly bad. A 10% failure rate in a period
>>> of a few months is simply unforgivable.
>>
>> Have you not heard of the "Bathtub" curve of reliability? Over a large
>> number of components, the failure rate is high early on, then it falls
>> to a lower steady level rising again when the component reaches EOL.
>> We used to deal in 10s of thousands of hard disks, and the effect was
>> very noticeable.
>
> **So, I take that you consider a 10% failure rate in the first half of
> your bathtub curve is acceptable?

Not good but I've seen such major issues with gear from well known
manufacturers over the years.

> I do not. It is completely unacceptable.
>
> Back when I worked at Marantz, the Model 1070 was quite reliable and
> used several hundred individual components. The failure rate was 0.5%
> within the 3 year warranty period.
>
> And, to underline the reliability thing, the device that the plugpack
> was used with consisted of a microprocessor, 2 line LCD display, a NiCad
> battery pack and a few dozen support components, including NiCad
> charger. Only one was returned for repair and that turned out to be a
> fault with the 128 strand, silicone wire leads that was connected to the
> outside world.

All that in a plugpack?

Daniel65

May 29, 2022, 7:12:32 AM5/29/22
Rod Speed wrote on 29/5/22 4:54 am:

<Snip>

> I had an urgent need for a plugpack when lightning took out
> the one that powered the security system at the local Salvos.
> I replaced it with one from the local Jaycar because the local
> Salvos use theirs to catch shop thieves and it is still working fine.

I volunteer at our local Salvos shop, where all money made goes back
into the local community by way of helping out those in need.

We don't make a heap of money, even in the best of times a $2000 a week
would have been a stretch, now with limited volunteers forcing limited
opening hours, $500 a week is an extremely good week .... but we try!!

A couple of months ago, we had some (needy??) person/people break into
the shop and take the $1500-$2000 that was being stored in the shop,
awaiting the Salvos Minister to bank it!!

BASTARDS!!

Especially when you think that if the crooks had ASKED for assistance,
they would have gotten it!!

So, now, I bring each days takings home with me and the Minister banks
them every now and again!!
--
Daniel

Trevor Wilson

May 29, 2022, 5:05:18 PM5/29/22
On 29/05/2022 7:28 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 29/05/2022 4:10 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Have you not heard of the "Bathtub" curve of reliability? Over a
>>> large number of components, the failure rate is high early on, then
>>> it falls to a lower steady level rising again when the component
>>> reaches EOL. We used to deal in 10s of thousands of hard disks, and
>>> the effect was very noticeable.
>>
>> **So, I take that you consider a 10% failure rate in the first half of
>> your bathtub curve is acceptable?
>
> Not good but I've seen such major issues with gear from well known
> manufacturers over the years.

**Certainly, but we are talking about a plugpack and one that lacked any
additional components, other than a transformer. They don't get much
simpler.

>> I do not. It is completely unacceptable.
>>
>> Back when I worked at Marantz, the Model 1070 was quite reliable and
>> used several hundred individual components. The failure rate was 0.5%
>> within the 3 year warranty period.
>>
>> And, to underline the reliability thing, the device that the plugpack
>> was used with consisted of a microprocessor, 2 line LCD display, a
>> NiCad battery pack and a few dozen support components, including NiCad
>> charger. Only one was returned for repair and that turned out to be a
>> fault with the 128 strand, silicone wire leads that was connected to
>> the outside world.
>
> All that in a plugpack?

**Huh? I stated that the plugpack was connected to a device. The device,
itself, has been extremely reliable. In fact, I am unaware of any
failures, but I'm confident some may have had failed NiCad battery packs
by this time. IT is the Jaycar plugpack that was unreliable. Everything
has been fine. That said, the company that engaged me to design the
product is long gone, so I have no idea what has happened in the past 15
~ 16 years.

My other point, lest it be forgotten, is that I engaged an Australian
transformer manufacturer to construct AC output transformers for the
device. Those transformers demonstrated vastly superior reliability.

Daniel65

May 30, 2022, 5:33:28 AM5/30/22
Daniel65 wrote on 29/5/22 9:12 pm:
> Rod Speed wrote on 29/5/22 4:54 am:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> I had an urgent need for a plugpack when lightning took out
>> the one that powered the security system at the local Salvos.
>> I replaced it with one from the local Jaycar because the local
>> Salvos use theirs to catch shop thieves and it is still working fine.
>
> I volunteer at our local Salvos shop, where all money made goes back
> into the local community by way of helping out those in need.
>
> We don't make a heap of money, even in the best of times a $2000 a week
> would have been a stretch, now with limited volunteers forcing limited
> opening hours, $500 a week is an extremely good week .... but we try!!
>
> A couple of months ago, we had some (needy??) person/people break into
> the shop and take the $1500-$2000 that was being stored in the shop,
> awaiting the Salvos Minister to bank it!!
>
> BASTARDS!!
>
> Especially when you think that if the crooks had ASKED for assistance,
> they would have gotten it!!
>
> So, now, I bring each days takings home with me and the Minister banks
> them every now and again!!

And, of course, I had forgotten to delete the unrequired 60-70 lines
before I hit 'Send'! ;-(
--
Daniel

Rod Speed

May 30, 2022, 5:45:05 AM5/30/22
Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> I had an urgent need for a plugpack when lightning took out
>> the one that powered the security system at the local Salvos.
>> I replaced it with one from the local Jaycar because the local
>> Salvos use theirs to catch shop thieves and it is still working fine.

> I volunteer at our local Salvos shop, where all money made goes back
> into the local community by way of helping out those in need.

I don't but I didn't bill them for the replacement surveillance
system or the plug pack and they still have my monitor.

> We don't make a heap of money, even in the best of times a $2000 a week
> would have been a stretch, now with limited volunteers forcing limited
> opening hours, $500 a week is an extremely good week .... but we try!!

> A couple of months ago, we had some (needy??) person/people break into
> the shop and take the $1500-$2000 that was being stored in the shop,
> awaiting the Salvos Minister to bank it!!

They dont have ministers, they have officers.

Rod Speed

May 30, 2022, 5:49:20 AM5/30/22
Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org> wrote
> Daniel65 wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote <Snip>
That's why the death squad has its orders. Byeeee.

Daniel65

May 31, 2022, 5:15:40 AM5/31/22
Rod Speed wrote on 30/5/22 7:44 pm:
> Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>
>>> I had an urgent need for a plugpack when lightning took out
>>> the one that powered the security system at the local Salvos.
>>> I replaced it with one from the local Jaycar because the local
>>> Salvos use theirs to catch shop thieves and it is still working fine.
>
>> I volunteer at our local Salvos shop, where all money made goes back
>> into the local community by way of helping out those in need.
>
> I don't but I didn't bill them for the replacement surveillance
> system or the plug pack and they still have my monitor.
>
>> We don't make a heap of money, even in the best of times a $2000 a
>> week would have been a stretch, now with limited volunteers forcing
>> limited opening hours, $500 a week is an extremely good week .... but
>> we try!!
>
>> A couple of months ago, we had some (needy??) person/people break into
>> the shop and take the $1500-$2000 that was being stored in the shop,
>> awaiting the Salvos Minister to bank it!!
>
> They dont have ministers, they have officers.

Yes, you are quite correct!
--
Daniel

Clocky

Jun 23, 2022, 9:40:41 PM6/23/22
On 28/05/2022 3:30 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Phil Allison wrote:
> ==============

>>> *None* of them are immune to sourcing and selling counterfeits
>> ** False argument.
>>
>> Unlike Jaycar et alia, E14 and RS do not engage in reckless purchasing and can trace stock to factory sources.

That does not mean they are immune to purchasing and selling recovered
and remarked or fake parts.

> ** See recent vid on typical Sanken brand fakes from Ebay:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvyNIEGI-s

They are clearly faked or remarked used transistors, noticed that as
soon as soon as I saw them - no need for testing.

> Even possible to buy fake electros too.
> 22uF, 500V axials turned out to be old 400V radial caps removed and re packaged from used CFLs.

You can buy fake anything. A lot of the chips on Ebay and Aliexpress
aren't fakes perse but have been recovered, sanded and remarked.

I can understand why they might remark a chip where a certain revision
or date of manufacture is more desirable but sometimes it's just generic
stuff so it's hard to know why they bother.

Phil Allison

Jun 23, 2022, 11:03:02 PM6/23/22
Clocky the Cockhead IDIOT wrote:

=================================

> >> Unlike Jaycar et alia, E14 and RS do not engage in reckless purchasing and can trace stock to factory sources.
> >>

> That does not mean they are immune to purchasing and selling recovered
> and remarked or fake parts.

** It does actually - you lying, POS IDIOT.

> > ** See recent vid on typical Sanken brand fakes from Ebay:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvyNIEGI-s
> >
> They are clearly faked or remarked used transistors,

** No such thing is clear.

noticed that as
> soon as soon as I saw them - no need for testing.

** Testing is no proof of being genuine.

> You can buy fake anything.

** I sure YOU can, but not me.

> A lot of the chips on Ebay and Aliexpress
> aren't fakes perse but have been recovered, sanded and remarked.

** Prove it.
FOAD idiot.