NEED 1 Tera Ohm , 3 Watt resistors

Ron Harshbarger

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.

Ron Harshbarger
rnh...@visi.com

Bob Wilson

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

In article <01bcd03c$744e8790$25c30bce@hal3000>, rnh...@visi.com writes...

>I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
>use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.

So precisely how do you plan to get a voltage high enough to dissipate the 3
Watts? By my reasoning you will need 1.7 million volts.

Bob.

Spehro Pefhany

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

In sci.electronics.components Bob Wilson <rfwi...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
: In article <01bcd03c$744e8790$25c30bce@hal3000>, rnh...@visi.com writes...

Make that a *very* long 1T Ohm resistor.. ;-)

Spehro Pefhany "The Journey is the reward"
sp...@interlog.com
Fax:(905) 332-4270 (small micro system devt hw/sw + mfg)

Spehro Pefhany

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

In sci.electronics.components Boris Mohar <bor...@interlog.com> wrote:
: On 4 Oct 1997 03:48:16 GMT, rfwi...@intergate.bc.ca (Bob Wilson)

: It might be that large physical size (3W) is needed to minimize the
: surface leakage and also to minimize the field gradient across the
: resistor.

Of course Boris is almost certainly correct.

A voltage rating ,and perhaps the "3W size" would be better way to
specify this resistor. (Is this what they mean by a "flameproof
resistor"?) I'll bet that this device is intended to measure a very high
voltage at very low curent.

It's probably less by one or two orders of magnitude than the 1.7MV that
Bob calculates, though.

Ernie Stedman

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

miker wrote:

> I find it interesting (and typical) that there are many of followup
> posts commenting NEGATIVELY on the original post and ABSOLUTELY NO HELP
> in finding
> what he asked for. Why is it so tough to get a question answered on the
> internet?
Maybe becuase no such item exists.
Does anyone out there know where I can get a left handed wind shifter?
Wake up and smell the electrons :-) hi
Ernie
N2OJQ

Robert Lay

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

On Sat, 04 Oct 1997 11:31:44 -0700, miker <&mre...@hevanet.com>
wrote:

>I find it interesting (and typical) that there are many of followup
>posts commenting NEGATIVELY on the original post and ABSOLUTELY NO HELP
>in finding
>what he asked for. Why is it so tough to get a question answered on the
>internet?
>

>miker

The answer is obvious, Miker. Haven't you heard the old adage?
There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers, and you are seeing
about the same number of them here as you would see anywhere.

You've got to have some fun while your doing this - otherwise you'd go
NUTSO

Bob
73 de W9DMK
[Change "nobody" to "w9dmk" for direct replies]

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Relax! Without the humor, this would be a pretty boring group. In fact,
many of those followups do bring up legitimate issues. And, don't forget
that everyone here is doing this because they want TO, not because
they are paid TO. Furthermore, just answering the question in many cases
can lead to an incorrect solution given insufficient data.

Also, are people not allowed to be curious anymore????

--- sam : Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.paranoia.com/~filipg/REPAIR/
Coming soon to a computer screen near you: http://www.repairfaq.org/
Preview of V3.00 (ASCII): http://www.pacwest.net/byron13/sammenu.htm

--
Please remove & from return address before replying.

miker

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Nothin' wrong with humor. When a response starts out "Yeah Right!
followed by (I'm paraphrasing) "Just in case you can't multiply,
here's how you use ohm's law..." That ain't humor...
Followed by "these parts exist, but I ain't gonna give you a hint as to
where..." that ain't helpful.

Many of the "answers" on this net start out, "You mindless twit, you
don't know what you're doing, but I do...and you're wrong in your
assumptions, even though I don't know what they are...but I'm sure you
don't really want to do that...cause I think it's stupid...and I'm sure
everyone else does too...but here's some stuff to convince you that
I'm really smart...even though it doesn't address the question you
asked...
and by the way, here's a comment on the other 20 people who answered you
with incorrect answers...they're wrong too...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if people at least posted an answer to the
question somewhere in all the chaff.

But what do I know...miker

acohee

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Ron Harshbarger wrote:

> I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
> use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>
> Ron Harshbarger
> rnh...@visi.com

Cableform-Beman makes high-value carbon film resistors with high power
ratings. The brochure that I have shows they only go up to 150 Gigohm
(10 Watts max, 40 kV max, 6 1/2" long, 9/16" Diam) , however, it also
says they make custom resistors on request. You might ask them... They
are at:

Cableform, Inc.
Zion Cross Roads
Route 2, Box 1473
Troy, VA 22974-9512

Phone: (804) 589-8224
Fax: (804) 589-3803

Regards,
Art Cohee
Accu-Trace Metrology

John Nagle

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

"Ron Harshbarger" <rnh...@visi.com> writes:
>I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
>use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.

Yeah, right.

Boris Mohar

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

wrote:

>In article <01bcd03c$744e8790$25c30bce@hal3000>, rnh...@visi.com writes...
>>

>>I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
>>use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>

>So precisely how do you plan to get a voltage high enough to dissipate the 3
>Watts? By my reasoning you will need 1.7 million volts.
>

>Bob.

It might be that large physical size (3W) is needed to minimize the
surface leakage and also to minimize the field gradient across the
resistor.

Regards

Boris Mohar

VIATRACK printed circuit designs

miker

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

Ron Harshbarger

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Well now that you have all had your fun while avoiding the question
(Possible exception is Boris) I have to tell you that Boris and Spehro are
on the right track! Actually these are to be used as coupling resistors for
an instrument to measure very large ion charges where the current is almost
nonexistent but we need to force the little current to flow through the
resistor and not around it (surface). These resistors are available NEW at
an outragous price so I thought I would check to see if anyone had a
surplus supply. I am told that resistors of this size were used in early
electrometers and various lab instruments with tubes back in the 50's and
60's.

Ron Harshbarger
rnh...@visi.com

Boris Mohar

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

On 5 Oct 1997 00:30:37 GMT, "Ron Harshbarger" <rnh...@visi.com>
wrote:

In that case I would recommend K&M .

Tel. 413 781-1350 Fax 413 737-0608

It is about 1.5 inches long

Part number is CR1213V1T00K2

I chose it because it had negligible voltage coefficient.
Some resistors from other manufacturer I tested had negative voltage
coefficient and they were rated by manufacturer at 1T Ohm at 10
volts. At 2 V some were hitting 3 T and higher. Can you imagine
trying to zero an amplifier whose feedback resistance is approaching
infinity as the output is approaching zero.

Oh yes, I think I paid about twelve bucks each for K&M.

Barry O'Grady

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

miker <&mre...@hevanet.com> wrote:

<snipped>

Why can't you put your reply after the quote?

=====================================
To reply via email please remove the XX from my
return address.

Barry O'Grady

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

miker <&mre...@hevanet.com> wrote:

:I find it interesting (and typical) that there are many of followup

:posts commenting NEGATIVELY on the original post and ABSOLUTELY NO HELP
:in finding
:what he asked for. Why is it so tough to get a question answered on the
:internet?

Because the guy is a either a nutcase or a troll.

:miker

Barry

John Emerick

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Ernie Stedman wrote:

> miker wrote:
> >
> > I find it interesting (and typical) that there are many of followup
> > posts commenting NEGATIVELY on the original post and ABSOLUTELY NO HELP
> > in finding
> > what he asked for. Why is it so tough to get a question answered on the
> > internet?
> Maybe becuase no such item exists.
> Does anyone out there know where I can get a left handed wind shifter?
> Wake up and smell the electrons :-) hi
> Ernie
> N2OJQ

I'm not sure why this thread has solicited so many derisive comments
rather than a "are you sure" or "how about more details".

The reality is that there are 1 Tohm resistors.

Hy-Meg Corp. in Addison, IL lists thick films up to 4Tohm at 4W.
K&M list a 1Tohm at 2W.
Ohmcraft to 2Tohm.

Why the original poster wants a 1Tohmm 3W carbon, I don't know. Maybe
he has a high temp application in an environment with very poor heat
dissipation, or some strange overdesign requirement. Likely it's
something else since he specifically asked for a carbon resistor, I'm
curious.

Unfortunately I don't think any of those are carbon. Hopefully he will
post additional details to calm the madding crowds and solicit a useful
response.

regards,

John Emerick
7416...@compuserve.com

GBE...@prodigy.net

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Try Electronic Supplies and Instrumentation

(216) 441-8500 voice
(216) 441-8503 fax

They have alot of high ohmage Victoreen resistors...Talk to Nancy...

George, K8BRW

Mr R. Hopkins <r.ho...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in article
<34377C...@ic.ac.uk>...

> Bob Wilson wrote:
> >
> > In article <01bcd03c$744e8790$25c30bce@hal3000>, rnh...@visi.com
writes...

miker

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Barry O'Grady wrote:

> miker <&mre...@hevanet.com> wrote:
>
> :I find it interesting (and typical) that there are many of followup
> :posts commenting NEGATIVELY on the original post and ABSOLUTELY NO HELP
> :in finding
> :what he asked for. Why is it so tough to get a question answered on the
> :internet?
>
> Because the guy is a either a nutcase or a troll.

This is EXACTLY MY POINT. YOU don't understand the application, so HE's
the nutcase. If innovation conformed to your (or any one person's) veiw
of
the universe, progress would be very slow indeed.

Yes, it would be nicer if people posted enough information for you to
understand,
but it's not likely to happen. You can always ask for clarification
with private email.

Even if it is a troll, there's still no benefit to publishing anything
except
useful information for the requester. Anything else is not even
potentially
helpful to anyone. And guess who's ignorance it exposes.
miker

Peter Gargano

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97
to rnh...@visi.com

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

> Also, are people not allowed to be curious anymore????

Very true. But what I find interesting is that Ron Harshbarger
rnh...@visi.com has not set us straight as to the use for
his resistor(s). This has obviously fueled speculation.

And, while I have your attention, perhaps someone knows a
good newsgroup for answers to "what is R301 on PCB ass..."?

regards,
--
Peter Gargano +61 (2) 6251 5519 fax: (2) 6251 6646
Test ONLY ->http://www.home.aone.net.au/techedge

Mr R. Hopkins

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Bob Wilson wrote:

> In article <01bcd03c$744e8790$25c30bce@hal3000>, rnh...@visi.com writes...
> >
> >I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
> >use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>
> So precisely how do you plan to get a voltage high enough to dissipate the 3
> Watts? By my reasoning you will need 1.7 million volts.
>
> Bob.

It could be a follow up to the 90Kv stungun....

--
Hoppy

To reply please remove the * from my email address

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5003/
is the place to go if you ever wanted to know how to write fractal
programs or make funky rockets out of shotgun shells!

_____

Polite notice to people who obtain email addresses from usenet postings
so that they can send innocent people junk mail

GO KILL YOURSELVES YOU GITS

Peter Gargano

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97
to mre...@hevanet.com

miker wrote:

> Nothin' wrong with humor. When a response starts out "Yeah Right!
> followed by (I'm paraphrasing) "Just in case you can't multiply,
> here's how you use ohm's law..." That ain't humor...
> Followed by "these parts exist, but I ain't gonna give you a hint as
> to where..." that ain't helpful.

I'd like to make the point that most of the discussion, humour or
otherwise, was precipitated by the original poster (Ron Harshbarger)
supplying only sufficient information to fuel speculation. I think
we can all learn from this, and, particularly as most of us tend to
be "technical types", we should remember that there is usually an
implied human slant to a question. If we try to supply the "because"
information as well as the "I want" question, then I think we'll all
save ourselves some measure of aggravation.

Bill Sloman

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <615nm6$mm9$2...@news.interlog.com>, Spehro Pefhany <sp...@interlog.com> says:

>In sci.electronics.components Boris Mohar <bor...@interlog.com> wrote:
>: On 4 Oct 1997 03:48:16 GMT, rfwi...@intergate.bc.ca (Bob Wilson)
>
>: It might be that large physical size (3W) is needed to minimize the

>: surface leakage and also to minimize the field gradient across the
>: resistor.
>
>Of course Boris is almost certainly correct.
>
>A voltage rating ,and perhaps the "3W size" would be better way to
>specify this resistor. (Is this what they mean by a "flameproof
>resistor"?) I'll bet that this device is intended to measure a very high
>voltage at very low curent.
>
>It's probably less by one or two orders of magnitude than the 1.7MV that
>Bob calculates, though.

I've been caught this way with precision resistors in demanding
applications. You specify a resistor in a TO-220 package in order
to minimise self-heating and thermocouple voltages, and some clown
says "why are we buying a 10W package for a part that will never
dissipate more than 150mW?".

Of course, if they do it in a meeting, you should be awarded the
ears and the tail every time....

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Thomas Schaerer

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Ron Harshbarger (rnh...@visi.com) wrote:
> I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
> use 300 to 400 pieces.

But why do you need 3 Watt? Do you realize a voltagesource of about
one million volts? :-)

Bye
Thomas

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
* Thomas Schaerer >>> scha...@isi.ee.ethz.ch <<< ||| *
* Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, ETHZ ||| *
* Signal and Information Processing Laboratory ISI / | \ *
* Sternwartstr. 7 CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland / | \ *
#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

jb

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Ron Harshbarger <rnh...@visi.com> wrote in article
<01bcd03c$744e8790$25c30bce@hal3000>...

> I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I
can

> use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>
> Ron Harshbarger
> rnh...@visi.com

Hiya,

The length of this thread indicates that there is now a viable alternative

to posting flame bait like "Motorola & Macs suck long live INTEL" on

alt.comp.ppc groups.

A single "I need a large value resistor" post can generate hours and hours

of reading.

I'll have to keep this one on file for when things get quiet.

Regards,
andrewm at quicknet dot com dot au

Andrew Mitchell

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

On Sat, 04 Oct 1997 19:53:44 -0400, Ernie Stedman
<este...@radia1.com> wrote:

>miker wrote:
>>
>> I find it interesting (and typical) that there are many of followup
>> posts commenting NEGATIVELY on the original post and ABSOLUTELY NO HELP
>> in finding
>> what he asked for. Why is it so tough to get a question answered on the
>> internet?

>Maybe becuase no such item exists.
>Does anyone out there know where I can get a left handed wind shifter?
>Wake up and smell the electrons :-) hi
>Ernie
>N2OJQ

Perhaps one of you could help me then.

I'm after some WOM (Write Only Memory) for use in a project I'm
currently working on. I have devised a system in which FINO (First In
Never Out) buffers are used as a backup device.
I envisage that this technology could (in theory) reduce the time
taken to back up a network, or even a mainframe, by about 99%.
I have already patented the idea , so don't anyone else think of
stealing my thunder :-)

Andrew Mitchell
Melbourne
Australia
(Remove the 'a' from the start of my email address to reply)
** The views expressed here are my own, **
** and do not represent the views or **
** policies of my employer **

Barry O'Grady

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

<GBE...@prodigy.net> wrote:

:Try Electronic Supplies and Instrumentation

:
:(216) 441-8500 voice
:(216) 441-8503 fax
:
:They have alot of high ohmage Victoreen resistors...Talk to Nancy...

Define "alot".

KF6OOI

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

>I still prefer Re: Zener Diode Oscillation myself, but there is no accounting for
>tastes.
> Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Well, one could ask for a device meeting the specs similar to some
devices that used to be on display in glass cases at the National
Atomic Museum in Albuquerque, NM. These were piezo "batteries"
designed to deliver something like 800V at 250A for 2 1/2 nanoseconds,
in tiny little cases with big fat leads.

There are only a few applications for devices of that type, none of them
pleasant.
-w

Dark Overlord

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

On 3 Oct 1997 20:28:20 GMT, "Ron Harshbarger" <rnh...@visi.com>
wrote:

>I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can

>use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>
>Ron Harshbarger
>rnh...@visi.com

Sorry, dont know where, are u builing a Tesla Coil or something?

After a LONG wait, Gamestry has FINALLY released its
Diablo 1.04 compatable ANTI-PK. DOSEN'T cheat your
character, just makes you invinciable to Pk'ers
Get it at http://www.nzwl.org.nz/ddm/nopk.html
(NOTE: Get Stuffed if you dont like my speelling!)
New Zealand Diablo Dungeon Masters (DDM)
http://www.nzwl.org.nz/ddm
Clan Master
Hosted by NZWL (NZ Wargamers League)

Larry R. Carr

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Ron Harshbarger wrote:

> I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
> use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>
> Ron Harshbarger
> rnh...@visi.com

Ron,

I assume the 3W is a size. Depending on your application, you may have
to specify any number of other parameters. I wouldn't advise just
getting any surplus resistors until you refine your requirements and get
data sheets for the specific resistors. Try Victoreen. They've been
making high value resistors for decades, and they have great application
notes on their web site. It is:

http://www.victoreen.com/

Larry Carr

James Baker

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

> Ron Harshbarger wrote:
> >
> > I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
> > use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
> >
> > Ron Harshbarger
> > rnh...@visi.com

To dissapate 3 watts in your 1 tera ohm resistor you'll need to put over
1.7 million volts across the terminals. Is this really what you have in
mind? If not you could put forty five 22 meggohm quarter-watt resistors in
series.

22 meg resistors are available at under a penny each. Terminal strips or
circuit boards can cause problems at this resistance so just tie the 45
resistors together in space unless you don't need shock mounting.

Hope this helps.

--
jba...@halcyon.com

Don Montgomery

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

James Baker (jba...@halcyon.com) wrote:

> To dissapate 3 watts in your 1 tera ohm resistor you'll need to put over
> 1.7 million volts across the terminals. Is this really what you have in
> mind? If not you could put forty five 22 meggohm quarter-watt resistors in
> series.

Never mind that - I just want to know what the original poster is building
and why he needs so many. Will he post mpeg videos when he initializes
power?

Don Montgomery (K6LTS)
do...@sr.hp.com

Boris Mohar

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:55:14 -0800, jba...@halcyon.com (James Baker)
wrote:

>> Ron Harshbarger wrote:
>> >
>> > I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
>> > use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>> >
>> > Ron Harshbarger
>> > rnh...@visi.com
>

>To dissapate 3 watts in your 1 tera ohm resistor you'll need to put over
>1.7 million volts across the terminals. Is this really what you have in
>mind? If not you could put forty five 22 meggohm quarter-watt resistors in
>series.
>

>22 meg resistors are available at under a penny each. Terminal strips or
>circuit boards can cause problems at this resistance so just tie the 45
>resistors together in space unless you don't need shock mounting.
>
>Hope this helps.

THAT is almost a Gig. Now do THAT a thousand times and than some...

Bill Sloman

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

In article <343ecf9a...@202.37.133.6>, do...@spam.me (Dark Overlord) says:

>On 3 Oct 1997 20:28:20 GMT, "Ron Harshbarger" <rnh...@visi.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
>>use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>>
>>Ron Harshbarger
>>rnh...@visi.com
>
>Sorry, dont know where, are u builing a Tesla Coil or something?

>(NOTE: Get Stuffed if you dont like my speelling!)
>New Zealand Diablo Dungeon Masters (DDM)
>http://www.nzwl.org.nz/ddm
>Clan Master
>Hosted by NZWL (NZ Wargamers League)

Unhelpful answer, silly name, silly signature - you *are* new
here aren't you ....

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Frank Miles

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

In article <jbaker-1210...@mg-20425426-98.ricochet.net>,
James Baker <jba...@halcyon.com> wrote:

>> Ron Harshbarger wrote:
>> > I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
>> > use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
>
>To dissapate 3 watts in your 1 tera ohm resistor you'll need to put over
>1.7 million volts across the terminals. Is this really what you have in
>mind? If not you could put forty five 22 meggohm quarter-watt resistors in
>series.
>
>22 meg resistors are available at under a penny each. Terminal strips or
>circuit boards can cause problems at this resistance so just tie the 45
>resistors together in space unless you don't need shock mounting.

Perhaps you mean 45,454 of them? Get your production line running!

-frank

Tony Hwang

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Bill Sloman wrote:

> In article <343ecf9a...@202.37.133.6>, do...@spam.me (Dark Overlord) says:
> >
> >On 3 Oct 1997 20:28:20 GMT, "Ron Harshbarger" <rnh...@visi.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>I want to buy a supply of 1 tera Ohm (10^12) 3 Watt carbon resistors. I can
> >>use 300 to 400 pieces. Surplus parts are fine.
> >>
> >>Ron Harshbarger
> >>rnh...@visi.com
> >
> >Sorry, dont know where, are u builing a Tesla Coil or something?
>
> >==========================================
> >(NOTE: Get Stuffed if you dont like my speelling!)
> >New Zealand Diablo Dungeon Masters (DDM)
> >http://www.nzwl.org.nz/ddm
> >Clan Master
> >=========================================
> >Hosted by NZWL (NZ Wargamers League)
> >=========================================
>
> Unhelpful answer, silly name, silly signature - you *are* new
> here aren't you ....
>
> Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Is the original poster related to Sadam Hussein?

David Austin

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

In article <3445a0b7...@news.interlog.com>,

bor...@interlog.com (Boris Mohar) writes:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:55:14 -0800, jba...@halcyon.com (James Baker)
> wrote:

>>mind? If not you could put forty five 22 meggohm quarter-watt resistors in

>>22 meg resistors are available at under a penny each. Terminal strips or

> THAT is almost a Gig. Now do THAT a thousand times and than some...
>

> Regards
>
> Boris Mohar

And don't forget that his application calls for 300 or so of them!

I really want to know what this is for... :-)

--
David

---
David....@anu.edu.au

Department of Engineering, Hiroshima '45 Chernobyl '86
Australian National University. Windows '95

Gregm

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Watch for the voltage drop across each resistor exceeding its dielectric
rating. Regular resistors are rated at 200 or 300 volts, metal glazed can
be 3kv DC. To stay within device ratings, it might become cost effective
to use HV resistors- even at 22megs each. The I^2*r gets troublesome at
those voltages, so be sure to factor in dissipation.

Gregm

Frank Miles <f...@u.washington.edu> wrote in article
<61tml2$fsm$1...@nntp6.u.washington.edu>...
> In article <jbaker-1210...@mg-20425426-98.ricochet.net>,

> James Baker <jba...@halcyon.com> wrote:
> >

> >To dissapate 3 watts in your 1 tera ohm resistor you'll need to put over
> >1.7 million volts across the terminals. Is this really what you have in

> >mind? If not you could put forty five 22 meggohm quarter-watt resistors
in

> >series.

> >22 meg resistors are available at under a penny each. Terminal strips or

Wolfgang Zweimueller

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

In article <61ufgt$q0r$1...@clarion.carno.net.au>,

David....@anu.edu.au (David Austin) writes:

> I really want to know what this is for... :-)

--

Some days ago Bob posted (in this thread!) a note where he declared it.
As I remember he does nuclear research. And there he has to "build a pipe"

Bob: if you read this -- would you please repost your article? I think it
would be clearer than my words ;-)

cu, wolfgang

| S-Mail: Wolfgang Zweimueller |
| Kiebitzweg 2, 5201 Seekirchen, AUSTRIA |
| E-Mail: wz...@tcs.co.at Voice: (+43)6212-2583 |

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

In article <620los$709$1...@news.Austria.EU.net> wz...@tcs.co.at (Wolfgang Zweimueller) writes:

> Some days ago Bob posted (in this thread!) a note where he declared it.
> As I remember he does nuclear research. And there he has to "build a pipe"
> for free particles.

Search www.dejanews.com.

--- sam : Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
Lasers: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/3931/lasersam.htm
Usually latest (ASCII): http://www.pacwest.net/byron13/sammenu.htm

David Price

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

In article <61tml2$fsm$1...@nntp6.u.washington.edu>, f...@u.washington.edu
says...

>In article <jbaker-1210...@mg-20425426-98.ricochet.net>,
>James Baker <jba...@halcyon.com> wrote:
>>
>>To dissapate 3 watts in your 1 tera ohm resistor you'll need to put
over
>>1.7 million volts across the terminals. Is this really what you have
in
>>mind? If not you could put forty five 22 meggohm quarter-watt
resistors in
>>series.

Frank

HUM!!

I find this interesting, I have worked in what most people would call
HI POWER RF, 50 KV to 25MV systems, and I have never seen such a
value,ever. but if you really need a 1 tera value, try attaching some
leads to a chunk of glass. 1 tera ohm would be considerd infinate
resistance and glass would qualify for that. Most designs I have seen
use step down transformer submerged in oil with specail HT cables to
transport the ht around. You couldn't have open connections because the
HT would arch everywhere. This is a word from sombody who works with
the stuff everyday for a living.

Regards David Price, Ke4zqz

SM Wong

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

I think air would do just great?? and it's FREE!

Ron Harshbarger

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

I can't believe that this tread is still getting attention! My original
posting is from Oct. 3rd... FYI, I found a source for these resistors! In
fact I found many sources at prices that ranged from $0.13 to $105 each. You
can guess where my money went! I can't give details but it should prove
helpful if I say that I am working with large ionic charges and the wattage
requirement was basically for physical size since as everyone was quick to
point out, 1 T Ohm and 3 watts would seem an impossible or at least
impractical combo. Thanks for the many thoughts and I hope everyone has
enjoyed the wide range of responses.

Ron H.

kingsnake

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

In article <63tskc$dd1$1...@darla.visi.com>, "Ron Harshbarger" <rnh...@visi.com> wrote:
> 1 T Ohm and 3 watts would seem an impossible or at least

You're kidding! The allowable drop across the resistor would be 1.732
Megavolts ..

Out of curiousity,,, is this a load resistor for a Tesla Coil ???

<g>

-John <kingsnake>

WA6FRN/6

mailto:gyr...@humboldt1.com

Ian Inkinen

Nov 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/14/97

kingsnake wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/hvprobe.htm This
site should help you build the resistor of your dreams good luck with
your tesla coil.