OT: Fuck me

Trevor Wilson

Aug 30, 2021, 2:59:46 AM8/30/21
I recall, very well, how, when NASA sorted out the Hubble telescope, the
magnificent images we saw. Simply breath-takingly beautiful.

Now, they're sending this sucker up:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/to-see-further-and-further-back-in-time-the-james-webb-telescope-20210830-p58n3e.html

SIX times the surface area of the mirror in the Hubble.

WOW!

I can't wait to see what they find.

Daniel65

Aug 30, 2021, 5:49:36 AM8/30/21
Trevor Wilson wrote on 30/8/21 4:59 pm:
I thought the "James Webb" was due to get sent up Yonks ago!!
--
Daniel

Computer Nerd Kev

Aug 30, 2021, 7:06:27 PM8/30/21
Trevor Wilson <tre...@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> I recall, very well, how, when NASA sorted out the Hubble telescope, the
> magnificent images we saw. Simply breath-takingly beautiful.
>
> Now, they're sending this sucker up:
>
> https://www.smh.com.au/national/to-see-further-and-further-back-in-time-the-james-webb-telescope-20210830-p58n3e.html

There are quite a few up there besides Hubble already:
https://hackaday.com/2021/07/28/more-than-just-hubble-the-space-observatories-filling-the-skies-today-and-tomorrow/

But yes, nice to hear the James Web one might actually happen after
hearing about it for all this time.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

keithr0

Aug 31, 2021, 2:14:37 AM8/31/21
I worked on the Hubbles grandfather, OAO-A2. It was the first successful
orbiting observatory. We used to command it through a computer that was
obsolete even in 1970 called an ADECS-37 (Adaptable Digital Electronic
Computer) made by General Mills who also make corn flakes. It was a
mighty system, 4K of 37 bit memory, a drum, a tape unit, a special box
to format the spacecraft commands, a line printer (80 column), a paper
tape reader and punch, and a typewriter. I learned to fix mainframes and
write machine language code on that machine.

It was a long way from today.