New restrictions on nudity on Blogspot pages

Dario Western

Feb 28, 2015, 4:13:21 PM2/28/15
Hi all,

This is from a member of the GNaturists group on Google regarding restrictions on nudity on Blogspot:

"I just saw on various news sites that as of March 23, Google is going to stop allowing blogs on its Blogger site to contain "adult" material. Or at least, they will force those blogs to become private, meaning "Google won't delete any of your content, but nobody will be able to see your blog except for you (the owner or admin) and people with whom you have shared the site".

It would be OK if they explicitly separated pornography from non-sexual nudity--in fact naturists would be grateful to anyone who's willing to recognize the difference--but as with most large Internet carriers, they aren't going to do that. PC Magazine's site reports the issue and doesn't make any attempt to sort it out either: "If your current blog has any 'sexually explicit or graphic nude' images or video (i.e. porn), it will be made private." What's a "graphic nude" image, that apparently part of i.e. porn? Google itself uses the term several times in its announcement:
https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/6170671?p=policy_update&rd=1

They do add the exception that "We'll still allow nudity if the content offers a substantial public benefit, for example in artistic, educational, documentary, or scientific contexts" and in that sentence, the word "graphic" does not appear. Would naturism qualify for a waiver of the rule? My guess is no.

Setting up a blog always seemed to me to be a waste of time for no reward, but there are a fair number of "naturist blogs" out there, many of them on Blogger. I imagine some of those people will be annoyed by this."

Naturally,

Dario Western