Damn it's quiet in here

Loom

May 4, 2009, 5:33:52 PM5/4/09
Is there anyone out there?

dj_nme

May 4, 2009, 9:14:15 PM5/4/09
Loom wrote:
> Is there anyone out there?

Yes, but we're all probably doing something else.

nikolai kingsley

May 5, 2009, 9:32:29 AM5/5/09

> Is there anyone out there?

i thought there was a similar kind of etiquette in here to the one that
informs #gothic: nobody says anything.

Loom

May 5, 2009, 5:31:34 PM5/5/09

Damn, I just got a news client for my phone.

Loom

May 5, 2009, 5:31:35 PM5/5/09

That must make it dull for all the lurkers. I wonder what it would take
to get people back.

Loom

imorf

May 5, 2009, 9:13:16 PM5/5/09

i view it as an improvement in content.

ps vat is dis #gothic?

dj_nme

May 5, 2009, 9:17:23 PM5/5/09

Close down LiveJournal, Facebook and the gothic forums (EG: Sydney and
Melbourne Goth Forums), those online browser based services are just too
easy to set-up for and use.
Then it would be the way it was ten/twelve years ago and this would be
pretty much the only online gothic forum that every-one could access.
Other than that, you seem SOL.

Loom

May 6, 2009, 3:28:27 AM5/6/09

At first I thought it was an IRC channel but then realized that it is
probably a Twitter hashtag

Loom

Loom

May 6, 2009, 3:28:28 AM5/6/09

But now in the world of mobile devices with slower or capped Internet
connections, nntp is the best protocol for forumy stuff. BTW what is
SOL?

Loom

P.s. I can't snip posts on an iPhone

atec 7 7

May 6, 2009, 3:41:41 AM5/6/09
sol > sh** on liver

nikolai kingsley

May 6, 2009, 9:27:52 AM5/6/09

>> ps vat is dis #gothic?

it's an irc channel.

> At first I thought it was an IRC channel but then realized that it is
> probably a Twitter hashtag

twitter is for twits. okay, that was a bit harsh. i got over
communicating in single lines of text back in the BBS days, when a
tagline was the height of wit.

--
"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do
look more like?"

dj_nme

May 6, 2009, 11:00:20 AM5/6/09
Loom wrote:
<big snip>
> what is SOL?
>
> Loom

SOL = So Out of Luck.

Loom

May 6, 2009, 5:47:46 PM5/6/09
nikolai kingsley <sher...@invalid.alphalink.com.au> wrote:
> >> ps vat is dis #gothic?
>

> it's an irc channel.

I didn't think that anyone used IRC anymore, except for podcasters and
botnets of course.

> > At first I thought it was an IRC channel but then realized that it
> > is
> > probably a Twitter hashtag
>

> twitter is for twits. okay, that was a bit harsh. i got over
> communicating in single lines of text back in the BBS days, when a
> tagline was the height of wit.

For 90% of it, I'd say you're right. There is a limit to how much
information I need about what people had for breakfast. The rest though
can be interesting, or at least mildly useful.

Loom

dj_nme

May 6, 2009, 8:33:14 PM5/6/09
Loom wrote:
<snip>

> But now in the world of mobile devices with slower or capped Internet
> connections, nntp is the best protocol for forumy stuff.

Do you seriously believe that mobile phone networks are going to let you
have access to Usenet on a mobile handset?
The data downloads from text-only newsgroups would be so small that
they'd have to up the charge per kilobyte to something horrendous in
order to make it profitable.
I'm totally convinced that it's in their own best financial interests to
only allow World Wide Web access on a mobile.
Otherwise, how could they make a fortune off your newsgroup/forum
lurking and reading?

Loom

May 7, 2009, 5:10:09 AM5/7/09
dj_nme <dj_...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Loom wrote:
> <snip>
> > But now in the world of mobile devices with slower or capped
> > Internet
> > connections, nntp is the best protocol for forumy stuff.
>
> Do you seriously believe that mobile phone networks are going to let
> you
> have access to Usenet on a mobile handset?

I already do.

> The data downloads from text-only newsgroups would be so small that
> they'd have to up the charge per kilobyte to something horrendous in
> order to make it profitable.

Of course they would, but while the unwashed masses are using the browse
functions and downloading music videos and new apps from the app store,
the nntp traffic should slip through the cracks.

> I'm totally convinced that it's in their own best financial interests
> only allow World Wide Web access on a mobile.
> Otherwise, how could they make a fortune off your newsgroup/forum
> lurking and reading?

As long as everyone doesn't do it, it's safe.

Loom

--
This newsreader can't cut a block of text -- no snippage

nikolai kingsley

May 7, 2009, 9:29:54 AM5/7/09

> Do you seriously believe that mobile phone networks are going to let you
> have access to Usenet on a mobile handset?

if they can charge you a dollar for each usenet post you receive? sure.
why not?

> Otherwise, how could they make a fortune off your newsgroup/forum
> lurking and reading?

i was once with an ISP called Dialix. they used to charge by the BYTE.
it was weird, sitting in irc, seeing my account decrement every time
somebody said something.

perhaps this explains #gothic.

n4cat

May 7, 2009, 10:13:34 AM5/7/09
nikolai kingsley wrote:

>>> ps vat is dis #gothic?
>

> it's an irc channel.

full of idiots usually
but then again it is IRC

>> At first I thought it was an IRC channel but then realized that it is
>> probably a Twitter hashtag
>

> twitter is for twits.

twatter is for twats

--
n4cat

Sandro

May 10, 2009, 9:25:26 AM5/10/09
On May 5, 7:33 am, Loom <l...@loomiverse.net> wrote:
> Is there anyone out there?

And I thought you were just making a terrible Pink Floyd reference.

Sandro - We are always here. I mean, this isn't Facebook. This is a
newsgroup of people who no longer feel the need to post that much
anymore, but check in case someone has posted something all the same.
Let's face it, I'm the first to admit that it's all been said before,
and far more eloquently / drunkenly than most of us can manage these
days.

Sandro - and plus with kids - eh - who's got the time to be witty
anymore? Which reminds me, how's parenthood treating you?

Loom

Jun 2, 2009, 4:15:56 AM6/2/09
Sandro <cein...@excite.com> wrote:
> On May 5, 7:33 am, Loom <l...@loomiverse.net> wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there?
>
> And I thought you were just making a terrible Pink Floyd reference.
>
> Sandro - We are always here. I mean, this isn't Facebook. This is a
> newsgroup of people who no longer feel the need to post that much
> anymore, but check in case someone has posted something all the same.
> Let's face it, I'm the first to admit that it's all been said before,
> and far more eloquently / drunkenly than most of us can manage these
> days.

I can't argue with that, but I have to say I still miss it. Maybe I'm a
fool, remembering a world that doesn't exist anymore, but I'd rather the
memories than nothing at all. It seems to me that the forums today don't
offer the things that we used to have, but then the very nature of what
we had meant that there was never any money to be made.

> Sandro - and plus with kids - eh - who's got the time to be witty
> anymore? Which reminds me, how's parenthood treating you?

Occassionly I wonder how this other person came into our lives. Like a
cat that decided to move on with us, she is there, as if she had always
been there. It's an amazing thing, she enriches our lives in a way that
can't be expresed using my limited vocabulary. I know why it didn't
happen earlier, but those reasons seem insignificant now.

Mr Q. Z. Diablo

Jun 2, 2009, 5:27:57 AM6/2/09
SUMMARY:

Facebook, LJ, MySpace are all devices by which we can talk about
_ourselves_.

That is far more interesting to us than merely discussing "stuff".

HTH. HaND.

n4cat

Jun 2, 2009, 5:48:12 AM6/2/09
Mr Q. Z. Diablo wrote:
> SUMMARY:
>
> Facebook, LJ, MySpace are all devices by which we can talk about
> _ourselves_.

hang on

are you saying that ACG isn't all about me?

I find that hard to believe.

> That is far more interesting to us than merely discussing "stuff".

but I am stuff!

--
n4cat

Loom

Jun 2, 2009, 6:15:10 AM6/2/09
Mr Q. Z. Diablo <dia...@notinnedmeat.freakishandunnatural.net> wrote:
> SUMMARY:
>
> Facebook, LJ, MySpace are all devices by which we can talk about
> _ourselves_.

Don't forget Twitter.

> That is far more interesting to us than merely discussing "stuff".
>
> HTH. HaND.

And the media will never discover usenet :)

Loom
--
this newsreader can't block delete.

Loom

Jun 2, 2009, 6:15:10 AM6/2/09
n4cat <n4...@SPyahooAM.com> wrote:
> Mr Q. Z. Diablo wrote:
> > SUMMARY:
> >
> > Facebook, LJ, MySpace are all devices by which we can talk about
> > _ourselves_.
>
> hang on
>
> are you saying that ACG isn't all about me?
>
> I find that hard to believe.

acg isn't all about you, it's all about me

Mr Q. Z. Diablo

Jun 2, 2009, 3:20:21 PM6/2/09
Loom <lo...@loomiverse.net> wrote:

> n4cat <n4...@SPyahooAM.com> wrote:
> > Mr Q. Z. Diablo wrote:
> > > SUMMARY:
> > >
> > > Facebook, LJ, MySpace are all devices by which we can talk about
> > > _ourselves_.
> >
> > hang on
> >
> > are you saying that ACG isn't all about me?
> >
> > I find that hard to believe.
>
> acg isn't all about you, it's all about me

It's actually all about your mum. At least that's what she told me in
the shower this morning.

--
"...and I got my middle name from somebody who
obviously didn't think I'd ever run for

Loom

Jun 2, 2009, 5:26:36 PM6/2/09
> Loom <lo...@loomiverse.net> wrote:

> It's actually all about your mum. At least that's what she told me in
> the shower this morning.

I didn't realise that you were in Ballarat.

Loom.

Mr Q. Z. Diablo

Jun 3, 2009, 4:35:54 AM6/3/09
Loom <lo...@loomiverse.net> wrote:

Nor did I. I must've been _paralytic_.

Loom

Jun 4, 2009, 5:14:35 AM6/4/09

> Nor did I. I must've been _paralytic_.

So nothing has changed then. It's the consistency that I get from acg
that keeps bringing me back.

Loom

Bob Larter

Jul 21, 2009, 7:24:25 AM7/21/09
nikolai kingsley wrote:

>>> ps vat is dis #gothic?
>

> it's an irc channel.
>

>> At first I thought it was an IRC channel but then realized that it is
>> probably a Twitter hashtag
>

> twitter is for twits. okay, that was a bit harsh. i got over
> communicating in single lines of text back in the BBS days, when a
> tagline was the height of wit.

You're showing your age there!

Bob Larter

Jul 21, 2009, 7:23:40 AM7/21/09

How the hell do you read news over a phone?

Bob Larter

Jul 21, 2009, 7:26:21 AM7/21/09

Shit Out of Luck.

> P.s. I can't snip posts on an iPhone

Bummer.

Bob Larter

Jul 21, 2009, 7:25:34 AM7/21/09

Speaking of which, I'll have to see if I can resurrect my gothic.org.au
account.

Bob Larter

Jul 21, 2009, 7:27:24 AM7/21/09

Shit, has Loom spawned as well?

nikolai kingsley

Jul 21, 2009, 9:17:56 AM7/21/09

>> twitter is for twits. okay, that was a bit harsh. i got over
>> communicating in single lines of text back in the BBS days, when a
>> tagline was the height of wit.
>
> You're showing your age there!

saves people cutting me in half and counting the rings. AGAIN.

--
"And this is, in sum, the Creation Museum. $27 million has purchased the
very best monument to an enormous load of horseshit that you could

nikolai kingsley

Jul 21, 2009, 9:18:53 AM7/21/09

>> P.s. I can't snip posts on an iPhone

GET A REAL COMPUTER.

hah. i've been wanting to say that for years.

Loom

Jul 21, 2009, 6:08:41 PM7/21/09

You've spent how many years trolling dead newsgroups waiting to say
that?

Loom

Loom

Jul 21, 2009, 6:08:49 PM7/21/09
Bob Larter <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shit, has Loom spawned as well?

Yes. Just under two years ago.

Loom

Loom

Jul 21, 2009, 6:09:00 PM7/21/09
Bob Larter <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Loom wrote:
> > dj_nme <dj_...@iinet.net.au>
>
> > P.s. I can't snip posts on an iPhone
>
> Bummer.

Found it!

Loom

Loom

Jul 21, 2009, 6:09:13 PM7/21/09
Bob Larter <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Loom wrote:

> How the hell do you read news over a phone?

It's an iPhone. I was actually surprised to find an nntp client for it,
but it works quite well.

Loom

nikolai kingsley

Jul 22, 2009, 9:21:32 AM7/22/09

>> GET A REAL COMPUTER.
>>
>> hah. i've been wanting to say that for years.
>
> You've spent how many years trolling dead newsgroups waiting to say
> that?

shut UP... I NEED THIS...

never really got over the stigma of owning an amiga.

Salem

Jul 23, 2009, 8:13:16 AM7/23/09

amiga 500s ROCKED.

still got mine in the shed. all my discs have disappeared though :(

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

Loom

Jul 24, 2009, 4:29:48 AM7/24/09
nikolai kingsley <sher...@invalid.alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> shut UP... I NEED THIS...
>
> never really got over the stigma of owning an amiga.

It's ok I understand, they were way ahead of their time.

Loom

megan_a...@yahoo.com

Apr 4, 2023, 6:11:11 AM4/4/23
On Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 11:32:29 PM UTC+10, nikolai kingsley wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there?
> i thought there was a similar kind of etiquette in here to the one that
> informs #gothic: nobody says anything.

Shhhh...