PDFs

Max

Feb 13, 2022, 11:26:45 PM2/13/22
I've noticed that Firefox, Chrome and Thunderbird all now have their own
viewers for PDFs.

Is everyone trying to eliminate the relevance of Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Marco Moock

Feb 14, 2022, 8:33:31 AM2/14/22
I don't think so because the PDF readers included in browsers only
provide very basic functionality.

Sadly, the proprietary Adobe products will stay on many business
computers to fill out forms etc.

I use Pale Moon that doesn't include a PDF reader.
I use xpdf as PDF reader.

Rod Speed

Feb 14, 2022, 12:48:11 PM2/14/22
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote

> I've noticed that Firefox, Chrome and Thunderbirdall now have their own
> viewers for PDFs.

> Is everyone trying to eliminate the relevance of Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Nope, just adding more features.

Max

Feb 14, 2022, 7:21:06 PM2/14/22
On 15/02/2022 12:33 am, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. Februar 2022, um 15:26:44 Uhr schrieb Max:
>
>> I've noticed that Firefox, Chrome and Thunderbird all now have their
>> own viewers for PDFs.
>>
>> Is everyone trying to eliminate the relevance of Adobe Acrobat Reader?
>
> I don't think so because the PDF readers included in browsers only
> provide very basic functionality.
>
> Sadly, the proprietary Adobe products will stay on many business
> computers to fill out forms etc.

What is wrong with Adobe? Do you dislike them?

Marco Moock

Feb 15, 2022, 7:04:24 AM2/15/22
Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2022, um 11:21:04 Uhr schrieb Max:

> What is wrong with Adobe? Do you dislike them?

Yes, I do.
I don't like their concept of proprietary software. They now don't sell
their software anymore like years ago, they provide a rent model. That
means that Adobe's products need to connect to Adobe's servers to work.
I don't like that behavior.
Also Adobe Reader doesn't support Linux anymore and Adobe Acrobat
didn't IIRC, so I need to use Windows to use their products. I'd have
to pay for using Windows and I also don't like newer Windows versions,
in my opinion MS restricts me as a user a way too much.