Win 11 install

Max

Jan 1, 2022, 8:36:41 PM1/1/22
When I go to the start menu on Win 10, I can see "Windows 11 is here,
Install Now".

Should I do this?

Petzl

Jan 1, 2022, 9:21:37 PM1/1/22
I would let others test the water first.
--
Petzl
ALWAYS Vote oligarchies Coalition, Labor, "Greens"

Rod Speed

Jan 1, 2022, 11:15:59 PM1/1/22
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote

> When I go to the start menu on Win 10, I can see "Windows 11 is here,
> Install Now".

> Should I do this?

Up to you. There is always some possibility of some
irritating bug that still hasn’t got fixed yet and it may
be better to wait till more have been fixed.

DBR

Jan 2, 2022, 1:55:23 AM1/2/22
from what I am told If you loose connection to the microsloth server in
win 11 you are locked out of even your local files. Not tried it myself
but the full time IT people I have spoken to say No or Not yet.

Marco Moock

Jan 2, 2022, 3:41:00 AM1/2/22
Am Sonntag, 02. Januar 2022, um 17:25:20 Uhr schrieb DBR:

> from what I am told If you loose connection to the microsloth server
> in win 11 you are locked out of even your local files.

I can't confirm this. I tried to install Win 11 in VirtualBox without
an internet connection. Win 11 home requires one, but just for some
seconds, so the installer thinks it has it. After that MS normally
forces you to create an MS account, but if you then disconnect the
cable, it can't contact the MS server and you can create a local
account. After that I was able to use Windows 11 without any problems
without an internet connection. I was able to create and read files.

Win 11 has more handcuffs than Windows 10, but it is possible to run it
without an internet connection if you want.

Max

Jan 2, 2022, 5:41:08 PM1/2/22
What are the major differences with Win 11 ?

Petzl

Jan 2, 2022, 7:31:52 PM1/2/22
Just rebadged rubbish

Max

Jan 2, 2022, 8:55:20 PM1/2/22
Who else is there to vote for?

Petzl

Jan 2, 2022, 10:48:57 PM1/2/22
On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 12:55:19 +1100, Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote:

>On 3/01/2022 11:31 am, Petzl wrote:

SNIP
>>> What are the major differences with Win 11 ?
>>>
>> Just rebadged rubbish >
>> --
>> Petzl
>> ALWAYS Vote oligarchies Coalition, Labor, "Greens"
>> *LAST*, Federal State and Council!
>
>Who else is there to vote for?

The nearest contender that lives nearest to you
--
Petzl
Make Australia Great Again

Mark Latham has seen the light
Voting Coalition, Labor or "Greens" because you hate One Nation is like eating shit because you hate spinach

Flantius Delsprigteros

Jan 2, 2022, 11:43:06 PM1/2/22
Max wrote:

> Who else is there to vote for?

linux: Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse, Debian, Centos whatever

Max

Jan 3, 2022, 12:21:11 AM1/3/22
What if someone emails you a MS Word or Excel file and you want to open it?

Rod Speed

Jan 3, 2022, 12:28:01 AM1/3/22
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote
Libre Office and Open Office will open them but may not
look identical to what you see if you use Word or Excel.

Max

Jan 3, 2022, 1:17:45 AM1/3/22
What if you need it look identical and to operate exactly like Word and
Excel would?

Gary R. Schmidt

Jan 3, 2022, 1:54:05 AM1/3/22
OpenOffice or LibreOffice open them fine.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Gary R. Schmidt

Jan 3, 2022, 2:04:05 AM1/3/22
Different versions of Word and Excel display the same files differently,
not to mention having different user interfaces.

OO and LO have had consistent user interfaces for several major releases
now.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Computer Nerd Kev

Jan 3, 2022, 2:30:40 AM1/3/22
Though you could also try running M$ Office in Wine if you were
really keen on a pure M$ junk experience:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=31

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Ja...@draftops.com

Jan 3, 2022, 3:22:06 AM1/3/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:36:36 +1100, Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote:

You should know what your situation is. Install whatever you need to.
I installed 11 a couple of months ago on one of the Dell XPS boxes
with good specs. We have had no problems at all, and find little
difference from 10. Mainly cosmetic apparently. The only thing that
really pisses our mob off is that True Launch Bar won't run. There are
alternatives, but we have been running this app since day one and
there is nothing that even comes close to it. I doubt if the authors
are interested in working around the new task bar layout, since the
app hasn't been updated since 2019 or thereabouts. Winaero Tweaker
will restore the 10 task bar, and TLB will install, but Start and
Search are trashed. Otherwise 11 runs even the apps written for XP (at
least the ones we use). Updates have run smoothly. We are unlikely to
run into any disasters at this stage, but I'll let you know if we do.

Rod Speed

Jan 3, 2022, 3:42:24 AM1/3/22
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote
Then you are free to run the same version of
Word and Excel as the creator did, on Win.

Petzl

Jan 3, 2022, 4:56:41 AM1/3/22
"Google Docs"
--
Petzl
Tiberius Caesar who reigned for 22 years,
and his last year was AD 37. wrote:
"The extremities of Spain, the various parts of Gaul, the regions of
Britain which have never been penetrated by Roman arms, have received
the religion of Christ."

Marco Moock

Jan 3, 2022, 2:48:38 PM1/3/22
Am Montag, 03. Januar 2022, um 09:41:06 Uhr schrieb Max:

> > Win 11 has more handcuffs than Windows 10, but it is possible to
> > run it without an internet connection if you want.
> What are the major differences with Win 11 ?

Windows 11 Home officially requires an MS account to use it (can be
bypassed). Win 11 also officially requires UEFI and TPM (can be
bypassed at this time - might change).
And all the other stuff - you can't uninstall built-in apps the normal
way, telemetry...

keithr0

Jan 3, 2022, 4:36:05 PM1/3/22
Telemetry isn't a problem, just install PiHole and blacklist it.