two modems

Max

Feb 15, 2022, 7:53:07 PM2/15/22
If I have two modems with two different ISPs at my house, can I plug
them both into the FTTP NBN box on the wall, and will they both work?

Pete

Feb 15, 2022, 9:49:22 PM2/15/22
On 16/02/2022 11:53 am, Max wrote:
> If I have two modems with two different ISPs at my house, can I plug
> them both into the FTTP NBN box on the wall, and will they both work?

FTTP NBN does not and cannot use external modems.

Peter

Max

Feb 15, 2022, 10:28:46 PM2/15/22
The ISPs refer to them as modems, but I guess they are just routers,
although they can double as an ADSL modem.

Rod Speed

Feb 16, 2022, 1:11:16 PM2/16/22
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote

> If I have two modems with two different ISPs at my house, can I plug
> them both into the FTTP NBN box on the wall, and will they both work?

Those aren't modems. And no it won't work.

Rod Speed

Feb 16, 2022, 4:18:23 PM2/16/22
Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
You can however have two services with different RSPs over the one FTTP
service.

Max

Feb 17, 2022, 5:10:54 AM2/17/22
They can work as a ADSL modem so they are modem-routers.

Max

Feb 17, 2022, 5:11:33 AM2/17/22
You can have two different ISP routers on two different UNI-D ports on
the NBN box.

Rod Speed

Feb 17, 2022, 12:53:32 PM2/17/22
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote
They aren't used as a modem in that situation, stupid.

Rod Speed

Feb 17, 2022, 12:55:37 PM2/17/22
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote
Yeah, that's what I meant. Not uncommon when changing RSPs,
but no reason why you can't have that config all the time if you want.

Yosemite Sam

Feb 19, 2022, 10:12:42 PM2/19/22
that's handy to know. useful for trying out another ISP without first
cancelling the current one. but what is an RSP?

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam
"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by

Rod Speed

Feb 20, 2022, 2:46:20 PM2/20/22
Yosemite Sam <fe...@invalid.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> You can have two different ISP routers on two different UNI-D ports on
>>> the NBN box.

>> Yeah, that's what I meant. Not uncommon when changing RSPs,
>> but no reason why you can't have that config all the time if you want.

> that's handy to know. useful for trying out another ISP without first
> cancelling the current one.

Yep and in theory having more than one RSP for
better reliability in case one goes down for a while.

> but what is an RSP?

The proper name for an NBN ISP. Retail Service Provider
because they are all reselling the NBN wholesale service.