Win 11

Max

Mar 24, 2022, 2:29:58 AM3/24/22
Is Win 11 a mandatory update to Win 10 yet?

Will it ever become so?

keithr0

Mar 24, 2022, 7:58:38 AM3/24/22
On 24/03/2022 4:29 pm, Max wrote:
> Is Win 11 a mandatory update to Win 10 yet?
>
> Will it ever become so?

It can't be as the majority of win10 machines can't even run it.

Marco Moock

Mar 24, 2022, 3:49:55 PM3/24/22
Am Donnerstag, 24. März 2022, um 17:29:56 Uhr schrieb Max:

> Is Win 11 a mandatory update to Win 10 yet?

Not yet, MS also says Win 10 will be supported until 2025. But maybe MS
will enable automatic updates to install Win 11.

David Pea

Mar 25, 2022, 6:53:04 AM3/25/22
I be still using Win7

Max

Mar 26, 2022, 12:07:19 AM3/26/22
But then you won't get the security updates?

Petzl

Mar 26, 2022, 6:22:49 PM3/26/22
As long as you use a sercurity App even Windows defender shouldn't
matter.
--
Petzl
The philosophy of the school room in one generation

Marco Moock

Mar 27, 2022, 1:59:02 PM3/27/22
Am Sonntag, 27. März 2022, um 09:22:48 Uhr schrieb Petzl:

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 15:07:16 +1100, Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote:

> >> I be still using Win7
> >
> >But then you won't get the security updates?
> >
> As long as you use a sercurity App even Windows defender shouldn't
> matter.

Completely wrong. Many attacks are not malware itself that can be
detected by anti virus software.
Especially when you operate network services (Windows does that by
default) your system might be vulnerable. Windows Defender or any other
anti virus software can't protect you in this situation.

Petzl

Mar 27, 2022, 10:41:55 PM3/27/22
On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:59:01 +0200, Marco Moock <mo...@posteo.de>
wrote:
Wibdows defender is ok, I use that AND SpyHunter.
WIN10 here by the way
--
Petzl
Tiberius Caesar who reigned for 22 years,
and his last year was AD 37. wrote:
"The extremities of Spain, the various parts of Gaul, the regions of
Britain which have never been penetrated by Roman arms, have received
the religion of Christ."

Max

Mar 29, 2022, 8:37:58 PM3/29/22
Does MS still give security updates to Win 7?

Petzl

Mar 29, 2022, 11:29:55 PM3/29/22
Just use a anti-vrus/Malware app
Windows defender is a good choice.
I use two
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

Marco Moock

Mar 30, 2022, 10:05:35 AM3/30/22
Yes, it is called ESU. You need to pay for it to receive the updates.
IIRC there is a possibility to bypass that, but that seems illegal for
me.

Marco Moock

Mar 30, 2022, 10:05:58 AM3/30/22
AV doesn't protect you from security vulnerabilities because of bugs in
software.

Petzl

Mar 31, 2022, 5:51:34 AM3/31/22
On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:05:56 +0200, Marco Moock <mo...@posteo.de>
wrote:
I have found if Microsoft develop a security problem from old programs
widows defender will tell you to disable it.
Did this with Skype some years ago after Microsoft took Skype over.

If something in WIN7 has a known security problem Windows defender
will always tell you of it!
--
Petzl
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

- Soren Kierkegaard

Marco Moock

Mar 31, 2022, 7:08:52 AM3/31/22
That is new to me.
Then W7 users will be told that IE, Office 2010 etc. shouldn't be used
and that it will be disabled?
I don't think that this happens.

Petzl

Mar 31, 2022, 7:39:29 AM3/31/22
On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 13:08:51 +0200, Marco Moock <mo...@posteo.de>
>> windows defender will tell you to disable it.
>> Did this with Skype some years ago after Microsoft took Skype over.
>>
>> If something in WIN7 has a known security problem Windows defender
>> will always tell you of it!
>
>That is new to me.
>Then W7 users will be told that IE, Office 2010 etc. shouldn't be used
>and that it will be disabled?
>I don't think that this happens.

I don't see why Office 2010 etc, should be disabled?
If there are risks later on in using the service, Windows Defender
will inform you. (I don't use Office)
There are plenty of secondary companies out there that can step in.
"Google Workplace" already offer alternatives.