Sun SS10 for sale

Colin Canfield

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Sparc 10 BSX Multi Processor
80 MBytes RAM
1 * 1.05 GB HDD
1 * 2.1 GB HDD
1 * Plextor external 4 spin CD drive. (Sun bootable)
2 * 50 Mhz Super Sparc Super Cache MBus Modules
SX 24Bit video sub-system
1 * SBUS Real Time Video Capture Board
1 * SBUS 486 Sun PC Accelerator Card
1 * Sun 19" Colour Monitor
1 * SBUS ISDN card
2 * Speaker Box
1 * Type 5 keyboard and mouse
1 * Internal Floppy Drive
1 * Sun AUI ethernet converter for Sparc 10
2 * Sparc Printer SBUS cards
2 * Sparc Printers
2 * Long Sparc Printer Cables
Sparc Printer Consumables
Solaris 2.5.1 and Newsprint software

All is in perfect condition.
Availlable for $5000. Please call me on 0412 197 943 for more details.

Colin

Colin Canfield
Multimedia Consultant. Evaluation, Design, Production.
col...@exsoft.com.au Phone 0412 197 943

Rachel Polanskis

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

In article <6irio6$uuo$1...@black.interact.net.au>,

"Colin Canfield" <col...@exsoft.com.au> writes:
> Sparc 10 BSX Multi Processor
> 80 MBytes RAM
> 1 * 1.05 GB HDD
> 1 * 2.1 GB HDD
> 1 * Plextor external 4 spin CD drive. (Sun bootable)
> 2 * 50 Mhz Super Sparc Super Cache MBus Modules
> SX 24Bit video sub-system
> 1 * SBUS Real Time Video Capture Board
> 1 * SBUS 486 Sun PC Accelerator Card
> 1 * Sun 19" Colour Monitor
> 1 * SBUS ISDN card
> 2 * Speaker Box
> 1 * Type 5 keyboard and mouse
> 1 * Internal Floppy Drive
> 1 * Sun AUI ethernet converter for Sparc 10
> 2 * Sparc Printer SBUS cards
> 2 * Sparc Printers
> 2 * Long Sparc Printer Cables
> Sparc Printer Consumables
> Solaris 2.5.1 and Newsprint software
>
> All is in perfect condition.
> Availlable for $5000. Please call me on 0412 197 943 for more details.

Wow.
This box is maxed out....
It's excellent value for money considering what you get with it.
A complete UNIX multimedia system!

I'd buy it myself, if I didn't already have an SS20sx ;)

rachel
(no I don't know this guy, and i'm not spruiking for him, it's just
that this is a great setup, and I had to comment!)

--
Rachel Polanskis University of Western Sydney, Nepean
UNIX Admin PO Box 10, Kingswood NSW 2747

mus...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au_no.spam.please_

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

In aus.computers.sun Jon Biddell <j...@fl.net.au> wrote:
: But Rachel - you can't run Linux on it....:-)

: Rachel Polanskis wrote in message <6ito0m$4...@ob1.uws.EDU.AU>...
:>In article <6irio6$uuo$1...@black.interact.net.au>,

:> "Colin Canfield" <col...@exsoft.com.au> writes:
:>> Sparc 10 BSX Multi Processor

:>
:>Wow.

:>This box is maxed out....
:>It's excellent value for money considering what you get with it.
:>A complete UNIX multimedia system!
:>I'd buy it myself, if I didn't already have an SS20sx ;)
:>rachel

Probably not on the '486, but I'm pretty damned sure you could on the '10.
S/Linux supports the Sun-4m arch, and I've read about peoples running it
on '10s in the Redhat Sparc Linux NG.

cheers
/dave
--
i-------------------------------------------------------------------------i
| David Manchester | [TDH] | Jaded Netware Admin and Workstation Bigot |

Jon Biddell

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

But Rachel - you can't run Linux on it....:-)

Rachel Polanskis wrote in message <6ito0m$4...@ob1.uws.EDU.AU>...
>In article <6irio6$uuo$1...@black.interact.net.au>,
> "Colin Canfield" <col...@exsoft.com.au> writes:
>> Sparc 10 BSX Multi Processor

>> 80 MBytes RAM
>> 1 * 1.05 GB HDD
>> 1 * 2.1 GB HDD
>> 1 * Plextor external 4 spin CD drive. (Sun bootable)
>> 2 * 50 Mhz Super Sparc Super Cache MBus Modules
>> SX 24Bit video sub-system
>> 1 * SBUS Real Time Video Capture Board
>> 1 * SBUS 486 Sun PC Accelerator Card
>> 1 * Sun 19" Colour Monitor
>> 1 * SBUS ISDN card
>> 2 * Speaker Box
>> 1 * Type 5 keyboard and mouse
>> 1 * Internal Floppy Drive
>> 1 * Sun AUI ethernet converter for Sparc 10
>> 2 * Sparc Printer SBUS cards
>> 2 * Sparc Printers
>> 2 * Long Sparc Printer Cables
>> Sparc Printer Consumables
>> Solaris 2.5.1 and Newsprint software
>>
>> All is in perfect condition.
>> Availlable for $5000. Please call me on 0412 197 943 for more details.
>

>Wow.
>This box is maxed out....
>It's excellent value for money considering what you get with it.
>A complete UNIX multimedia system!
>
>I'd buy it myself, if I didn't already have an SS20sx ;)
>
>rachel

Neal Wise

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Hi,

I believe linux-sparc will run on an ss20. But if you aren't running a Sun
operating system you should be running openbsd anyway *grin*. I know it will run
on an ss20. However I don't know if any free UNIX-alike will support all the
hardware in that machine. Now someone loan me $5k...

ps - looking for cheap vt100/220 or compatible dumb terms in Melbourne...
___________
d neal wise - nw...@spy.net
SPY internetworking - will network for food
http://www.spy.net

Craig S Wright

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

On Tue, 19 May 1998 13:16:17 +1000, Neal Wise <nw...@spy.net> wrote:

$5000??? the new Ultra 5's are far more powerful, supported (ie not
opsolete) and cost about this price. As for the Unix, why run Linux
when Solaris is licenced to the hardware. You own the Sun, you can run
Solaris.

Neal Wise

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Craig S Wright wrote:

> $5000??? the new Ultra 5's are far more powerful, supported (ie not
> opsolete) and cost about this price.

about = what? :-) I know I can get Ultra I/170 board-based systems packaged by other
companies for about 4k$ (that's US$ though). The comments on this machine for sale
were that it was pretty nicely equipped. had all the bells and whistles, etc.

> As for the Unix, why run Linux
> when Solaris is licenced to the hardware. You own the Sun, you can run
> Solaris.

Is this true? I thought there was a licencing program otherwise why would you have
the workstation/server installs and the unlimited users editions of the software. I
thought the idea of "you own the box you own an OS license" died with Apollo Domain.

Solaris is a little unwieldy on older machines. Not on a 5 mind you but some of the
free unixes (_i_ wasn't advocating linux btw... *i* was advocating openbsd :-) are
lighter installation wise while still offering all of the features needed in a
complex environment.
Plus I like BSD-style unixes at home and sys v-style at work. Keeps me on my toes.
good UNIX fu. {insert appropriate sound effects here}

> >ps - looking for cheap vt100/220 or compatible dumb terms in Melbourne...

I'm still looking for a dumb term or two... Someone help me out here because here's
my week so far in picking up random stuff:
> All sold I'm afraid., >Sorry already sold it, & >Thanks for reply, all have been
sold
*grin*

neal w.

jason andrade

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Neal Wise <nw...@spy.net> writes:

>Craig S Wright wrote:

>> $5000??? the new Ultra 5's are far more powerful, supported (ie not
>> opsolete) and cost about this price.

>about = what? :-) I know I can get Ultra I/170 board-based systems packaged by other
>companies for about 4k$ (that's US$ though). The comments on this machine for sale
>were that it was pretty nicely equipped. had all the bells and whistles, etc.

sun did a promotional deal recently, for ultra5s at around that price. in australian
dollars. the machines were used once (but that's a whole different story...)

>> As for the Unix, why run Linux
>> when Solaris is licenced to the hardware. You own the Sun, you can run
>> Solaris.

>Is this true? I thought there was a licencing program otherwise why would you have
>the workstation/server installs and the unlimited users editions of the software. I
>thought the idea of "you own the box you own an OS license" died with Apollo Domain.

there is no licencing restrictions in solaris i know of, but legally (and especially
on the x86 desktop) you're supposed to use the desktop version for said and if
you use the machine as a server, buy a server solaris. updates also mean you need
a maintenance contract. the x86 desktop requires you to buy a server licence, when
you are running it with multiple cpus i believe (doesn't stop you, but you should
pay for it). i don't know the specifics, since i'm not running solaris x86 on any
multi cpu desktops.

>Solaris is a little unwieldy on older machines. Not on a 5 mind you but some of the
>free unixes (_i_ wasn't advocating linux btw... *i* was advocating openbsd :-) are
>lighter installation wise while still offering all of the features needed in a
>complex environment.
>Plus I like BSD-style unixes at home and sys v-style at work. Keeps me on my toes.
>good UNIX fu. {insert appropriate sound effects here}

actually, solaris 2.6 runs reasonably well, provided you give it a significant amount
of ram. the standard desktop at work, w/ 2.5.1, is 128M -> 256M. personally, i wouldn't
run solaris on anything less than a sparc10 w/ 64M, as it's quite dreary. linux or
netbsd on a sparc2 on the other hand, is quite zippy.

cheers,

-jason
--
jason andrade dstc pty ltd ja...@dstc.edu.au
senior sysadmin level 7, gehrmann labs i just wanna be