Linux Specific,Hot spotting internet connection to Ethernet port

Jesse Robinson

Oct 8, 2014, 10:28:59 PM10/8/14
Linux Specific,Hot spotting internet connection to Ethernet port

Im using Debian Wheezy is it possible to do this ,ive never heard of it
before in many years.\

I want to take a usb 3g stick connected to internet on a Debian desktop
and route it via Ethernet to create a wired network live in the internet.

surly this can be done without a router or buying a little box for $100

Thanks

Jesse'

Zebee Johnstone

Oct 8, 2014, 10:51:47 PM10/8/14
In aus.computers.linux on 9 Oct 2014 02:28:59 GMT
Yup.

If you google for "using linux as a router" you will find lots of
information.

Basically you have to tell the boxes on your local network to use the
Wheezy box as their internet gateway, you need to tell Wheezy to
forward the packets (as usually boxes are set not to as default), and
you need Wheezy to manage the fact that your local network is using IP
addresses that won't work on the internet. (If it is using 192.168 or
10. addresses) so it has to masquerade them - give them its own
internet address when it sends them out, and re-name the
replies received so the reply packets get back to the right box.

http://www.yourownlinux.com/2013/07/how-to-configure-ubuntu-as-router.html
has useful info, don't forget to check the comments.

There are plenty of others in google.

Zebee

Jesse Robinson

Oct 8, 2014, 11:03:26 PM10/8/14
Got it now sharing to connection via EtherNet to my Apple via a switch

http://chrisjrob.com/2011/03/14/sharing-a-wireless-connection-via-
ethernet-port/

atec77

Oct 9, 2014, 2:14:18 AM10/9/14
On 9/10/2014 12:51 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Basically you have to tell the boxes on your local network to use the
> Wheezy box as their internet gateway, you need to tell Wheezy to
> forward the packets (as usually boxes are set not to as default), and
> you need Wheezy to manage the fact that your local network is using IP
> addresses that won't work on the internet. (If it is using 192.168 or
> 10. addresses) so it has to masquerade them - give them its own
> internet address when it sends them out, and re-name the
> replies received so the reply packets get back to the right box.
>
> http://www.yourownlinux.com/2013/07/how-to-configure-ubuntu-as-router.html
> has useful info, don't forget to check the comments.
>
> There are plenty of others in google.
>
> Zebee

Your a very useful bloke Zebee :)

William Unruh

Oct 9, 2014, 1:17:01 PM10/9/14
On 2014-10-09, Jesse Robinson <jjb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux Specific,Hot spotting internet connection to Ethernet port
>
> Im using Debian Wheezy is it possible to do this ,ive never heard of it
> before in many years.\
>
> I want to take a usb 3g stick connected to internet on a Debian desktop
> and route it via Ethernet to create a wired network live in the internet.

No idea what you are asking.
I think you have to be a bit more detailed as to what you want.

Jeßus

Oct 18, 2014, 7:07:40 PM10/18/14
He wants to make a router or gateway, using a 3g usb stick and Debian.

Blue Heeler

Oct 18, 2014, 10:22:47 PM10/18/14
Freesco is what you are looking for.