looking for perfect Linux

Rule of Life

May 23, 2012, 4:26:06 AM5/23/12
Hi all. I have bought a low end laptop and am trying to get Linux to
run on it,currently my graphics are not supported on linux but it will
run in narative modes i found out after installing Linux Mint 12 and
having it work for a couple days then freeze at the login screen.
The new kernal has support for new ATI graphics drivers but maybe not
mine think the latter 7xxx series of ATI.
Im looking for a distribution that is like FreeBSD to install,can be
totally customised from the start after installing a base system and
kernal.

I would run FreeBSD but hardware support somethings is a bit
tricky,like NTFS file systems and the like.

Im currently considering Gentoo but then i looked at Debian and it
looked more easy to configure,I know Debian is well maintained,not
sure about Gentoo.

What should I go with,you personal opinion is what i am looking for
and your personal perfference.

I have had no luck with Fedroa or what ever its called now or ubuntu.

The system will play movies,music and edit video,as its my laptop.

I have not told you my laptop specifications,should not matter its
modern as they come and in with ATI graphics which AMD dose not even
support for linux,though the drivers are available they are buggy as
hell.

Would like to run Gnome,but Xfce will do,to cut out Gnome bugs

Thanks in Advance Linux People

unruh

May 24, 2012, 12:11:04 PM5/24/12
On 2012-05-23, Rule of Life <jjb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all. I have bought a low end laptop and am trying to get Linux to
> run on it,currently my graphics are not supported on linux but it will
> run in narative modes i found out after installing Linux Mint 12 and
> having it work for a couple days then freeze at the login screen.
> The new kernal has support for new ATI graphics drivers but maybe not
> mine think the latter 7xxx series of ATI.
> Im looking for a distribution that is like FreeBSD to install,can be
> totally customised from the start after installing a base system and
> kernal.

Any linux can be totally customised from the start. Various distros try
to help you by setting up various things by default, but it is up to
you.

> I would run FreeBSD but hardware support somethings is a bit
> tricky,like NTFS file systems and the like.
>
> Im currently considering Gentoo but then i looked at Debian and it
> looked more easy to configure,I know Debian is well maintained,not
> sure about Gentoo.
>
> What should I go with,you personal opinion is what i am looking for
> and your personal perfference.
>
> I have had no luck with Fedroa or what ever its called now or ubuntu.
>
> The system will play movies,music and edit video,as its my laptop.

So you want to make sure that your graphics is well supported. And the
sound card, but you can always get a usb soundcard if necessary ( much
better than the onboard soundcard-- even the maudio usb trasit soundcard
is vastly superior to any onboard soundcard. )

> I have not told you my laptop specifications,should not matter its
> modern as they come and in with ATI graphics which AMD dose not even

I'm sorry, but what makes you think you should not tell us? laptop
makers are almost as bad as modem makers in sticking all kinds of weird
stuff into their laptops, and getting suppliers to make things just for
them (and making them non-standard)

> support for linux,though the drivers are available they are buggy as
> hell.
>
> Would like to run Gnome,but Xfce will do,to cut out Gnome bugs

Not at all sure what you want from us.

Rule of Life

May 25, 2012, 5:59:35 AM5/25/12
On May 25, 2:11 am, unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
I have read all over Linux forums to stay away from this laptop
because of the AMD ATI 6320 graphics,they are buggy on windows let
alone linux,they failed in the first week on windows,downloaded the
AMD driver s and they frooze the machine,am running windows driver s
at the moment but i have to ddisable them to use the VGA output on the
laptop.it just flashes and flickers with drivers enabled.

you can see my linux mint 12 configuration here
https://linuxcounter.net/user/551773.html

Have installed Debian 6

19...@zaclys.net

Aug 7, 2016, 6:45:38 AM8/7/16
Excellent hardware support?
Quick & easy to install?
Sensible defaults?
Multimedia, printer support pre installed?
Up to date applications?
Stable?
Easy to use & keep updated?

Sparky Linux

http://sparkylinux.org

tinman

Jan 15, 2023, 9:38:24 AM1/15/23
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 03:45:37 -0700 (PDT), 19438 wrote:

> Excellent hardware support?
Mostly from the Linux kernel, i.e. not Sparky-specific.
> Quick & easy to install?
Manually (i.e. not Calemares) installing allows for greater customization.
> Sensible defaults?
Having "one size fits all" (or "3 sizes fit all") does not change that
almost every workflow can benefit from a different setup.
> Multimedia, printer support pre installed?
As is usually the case...
> Up to date applications?
According to DistroWatch at time of writing, this is false. Not that
always having the newest version of everything is always ideal, but this
was a claim made...
> Stable?
This is probably true, since it's Debian-based.