Looking for Perfect Linux

Rule of Life

May 23, 2012, 3:58:54 AM5/23/12
Hi all. I have bought a low end laptop and am trying to get Linux to
run on it,currently my graphics are not supported on linux but it will
run in narative modes i found out after installing Linux Mint 12 and
having it work for a couple days then freeze at the login screen.
The new kernal has support for new ATI graphics drivers but maybe not
mine think the latter 7xxx series of ATI.
Im looking for a distribution that is like FreeBSD to install,can be
totally customised from the start after installing a base system and
kernal.

I would run FreeBSD but hardware support somethings is a bit
tricky,like NTFS file systems and the like.

Im currently considering Gentoo but then i looked at Debian and it
looked more easy to configure,I know Debian is well maintained,not
sure about Gentoo.

What should I go with,you personal opinion is what i am looking for
and your personal perfference.

I have had no luck with Fedroa or what ever its called now or ubuntu.

The system will play movies,music and edit video,as its my laptop.

I have not told you my laptop specifications,should not matter its
modern as they come and in with ATI graphics which AMD dose not even
support for linux,though the drivers are available they are buggy as
hell.

Would like to run Gnome,but Xfce will do,to cut out Gnome bugs

Thanks in Advance Linux People

Geoff Muldoon

May 24, 2012, 2:19:16 AM5/24/12
jjb...@gmail.com says...

> I have had no luck with Fedroa or what ever its called now or ubuntu.

> Would like to run Gnome,but Xfce will do,to cut out Gnome bugs

Have you tried the lighter-weight Xfce-based Xubuntu?

I run it as a VirtualBox (along with a couple of other different
Linuxes) appliance on my HP EliteBook and it's fully functional and been
stable.

GM

Rockinghorse Winner

May 24, 2012, 10:47:44 AM5/24/12
* It may have been the liquor talking, but
I use Gentoo. What's special about it is that you can enable whatever
drivers in the kernel you need. This is done by a program called menuconfig,
which you run in the process of making your kernel. There are many people in
#gentoo on freenode who will guide you into enabling the drivers you need
for your particular h/w. Gentoo is not only very well maintained, it has the
best documentation and knowledgeable user base of any distro out there.

In particular the official Manual for installing Gentoo and configuring it
is superb. Even a noob like myself was able to do it with minimal support.
If you are having trouble with h/w support, Gentoo is the way to go, IMHO.

You can get started by going here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook.
Scroll down and hit the link for the architecture of your laptop. Follow the
handbook exactly, slowly, carefully and you'll be up and running in no time.
NO SHORTCUTS! Just follow the instructions exactly as they're written, and
you're golden. Don't skip the background and explanatory material. It will
help you understand why you are doing what you're doing, and will educate
you about your new Gentoo system.

By the time you finish with your installation, you will know more about
Linux than most people, and you will be able to fix it yourself, because you
will know exactly how it goes together. Don't forget #gentoo if you need
assistance - over 500 members and lots of geniuses. Good luck!

Terry
--
"For I would ride with you upon the wind, |/
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide, |/ Gentoo Linux

Rule of Life

May 25, 2012, 5:40:38 AM5/25/12
On May 25, 12:47 am, Rockinghorse Winner <badass.super...@gmx.com>
wrote:
> * It may have been the liquor talking, but
>
> Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muld...@trap.gmail.com> wrote:
> > jjbr...@gmail.com says...
Yeah i did read the first part of the gentoo handbook upto when the
system is running.
cosidering im on dialup speed i downloaded Debian,its installed
now,except for X,got to get round to downloading that.
Its the display drivers that are the problem,they are AMD thats
why,pretty sure newer kernals support this ATI 6320 chip
some people have it running without a glitch some are even using AMDs
drivers,I just wanted to configure X myself.

Debian is using Gnome2 so might be better and more reliable than what
i have tryed.
I did LFS once,not sure if that is still going so am familar with
Gentoos install process sort of.

I knew alot after doing LFS,if Debian dont work with Gnome or Xfce I
have to think about running the 3.4 kernal on this laptop,
then i will move to Gentoo and run a custom kernal if one is not
available.

Thanks again,

Rule of Life

May 25, 2012, 5:44:02 AM5/25/12
On May 24, 4:19 pm, Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muld...@trap.gmail.com>
wrote:
> jjbr...@gmail.com says...
no i have not tryed that distro

I just had to do an installed on an old 2ghz pentium with 128mb of
ram,and the BSD,s seemed to be the only ones that would hack it,all
the new linuxs are too memory intensive.

Rule of Life

Jun 8, 2012, 11:31:53 PM6/8/12
Pretty sure that linux mint 12 frooze at the login screen due to a
buggy atl1c evilnet kernel driver,think its got something to do with
advanced power managment

oksa...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2012, 4:58:23 PM7/17/12
среда, 23 мая 2012 г., 3:58:54 UTC-4 пользователь Rule of Life написал:
Hi,
Forget about Linux,

check it out!!!! www.eurocom.com
the sell the most powerful computers ever and plus you can get the configuration you want!!

unruh

Jul 17, 2012, 6:57:25 PM7/17/12
On 2012-07-17, oksa...@gmail.com <oksa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ??????????, 23 ?????? 2012????., 3:58:54 UTC-4 ???????????????????????? Rule of Life ??????????????:
>> Hi all. I have bought a low end laptop and am trying to get Linux to
>> run on it,currently my graphics are not supported on linux but it will
>> run in narative modes i found out after installing Linux Mint 12 and
>> having it work for a couple days then freeze at the login screen.
>> The new kernal has support for new ATI graphics drivers but maybe not
>> mine think the latter 7xxx series of ATI.
>> Im looking for a distribution that is like FreeBSD to install,can be
>> totally customised from the start after installing a base system and
>> kernal.
>>
>> I would run FreeBSD but hardware support somethings is a bit
>> tricky,like NTFS file systems and the like.
>>
>> Im currently considering Gentoo but then i looked at Debian and it
>> looked more easy to configure,I know Debian is well maintained,not
>> sure about Gentoo.
>>
>> What should I go with,you personal opinion is what i am looking for
>> and your personal perfference.
>>
>> I have had no luck with Fedroa or what ever its called now or ubuntu.
>>
>> The system will play movies,music and edit video,as its my laptop.
>>
>> I have not told you my laptop specifications,should not matter its
>> modern as they come and in with ATI graphics which AMD dose not even
>> support for linux,though the drivers are available they are buggy as
>> hell.
>>
>> Would like to run Gnome,but Xfce will do,to cut out Gnome bugs
>>
>> Thanks in Advance Linux People

Actually, the more information you give the more likely you are to get
useful advice.
Ubuntu is Debian with some wraparound. So if Ubuntu does not work, then
you may also have trouble with Debian.

All Linux can be "totally customised from the start" if you want.

What are "native modes"? Freezing at the login would seem to have
nothing to do with the graphics, but it might depending on exactly where
and when it froze. Again the more information you give the more likely
you are to get useful help.

atec77

Jul 17, 2012, 6:58:36 PM7/17/12
But if the machine suggested doesn't encompass linux it obviously
fails to meet requirements hence is a failed offering and deserves no
more mention

Ned Latham

Jul 21, 2012, 11:14:38 PM7/21/12
Try Slackware 13.37. Works great on my Tochiba Satellite.
D/L the ISO from slackware.com or a mirror.

I use blackbox 0.65. Don't like the behaviour of later versions.
XFCE comes in the ISO. So does KDE 4.<sumpin>, but it's buggy:
don't use it.

Gnome's not part of the distro. If you want it, go to slackbuilds.org.

Ned