Tyro Linux distro query

Jordan

Apr 4, 2013, 5:45:17 AM4/4/13
I've been running Ubuntu for some months now.
If I want to try another distribution, do I necessarily lose all the
programs and configurations I have with Ubuntu?

Zebee Johnstone

Apr 4, 2013, 5:58:23 AM4/4/13
In aus.computers.linux on Thu, 04 Apr 2013 20:45:17 +1100
Yes.... and maybe no.

IF you have wherever your home directory is on a separate physical
parition (that is not a logical volume) then you dual boot Ubuntu and
something else and they can both read the various dot file configs you
have for your personal stuff such as firefox bookmarks.

However, this can backfire as you might have different versions of
things on both distros and they might have different ways/places of
managing the config files.

Generally it's best to not do that. Instead you get to know your
configs and replicate them using your new distro's config tools.

Some things can be managed externally. Firefox and Chrome have a
cloud sync for example.

Programs are another issue. Your new distro probably has most of the
same ones. So you search its software tools for the ones you want and
install them.

If you can't find it for your new distro then you get to install from
source... go on it's good for you!

Zebee

Jordan

Apr 4, 2013, 6:59:36 PM4/4/13
On 04/04/13 20:58, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.computers.linux on Thu, 04 Apr 2013 20:45:17 +1100
> Jordan <jor...@koora.net> wrote:
>> I've been running Ubuntu for some months now.
>> If I want to try another distribution, do I necessarily lose all the
>> programs and configurations I have with Ubuntu?
>
> Yes.... and maybe no.

(etc)

Thank you, Zebee.