OT: Groups Linux users-dual head laptop

Skip to the first unread message

CyBorg 0091

31 May 2012, 09:06:4431/05/2012
Hi, I know some linux people use this group so I figured i would ask
here,

Dose anyone run linux with dual monitors?If so would you be able to
post a working xorg.conf that i can use as a template.
Ive searched google,but there is but few sources of information,mainly
distro sites,on dual head configuration.Its all in manual lang to me.

Thanks

CyBorg 0091

31 May 2012, 09:20:3831/05/2012
Linux Jesse 3.4.0 #2 SMP Wed May 30 09:01:55 EST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Look new kernel have already found one bug,in the atl1c ethernet
driver,not sure how to go about reporting it.

am running Debian Squeeze 6

terryc

31 May 2012, 11:20:4931/05/2012
On 31/05/12 23:20, CyBorg 0091 wrote:
> On May 31, 11:06 pm, CyBorg 0091<jjbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I know some linux people use this group so I figured i would ask
>> here,
>>
>> Dose anyone run linux with dual monitors?

AFAIK, all dual monitor setups now run off a dual head card. Last time I
did it with separate cards was sarge or woody. Then you just duplicated
the various sections and puzzled over the Left or right of etc.

> If so would you be able to
>> post a working xorg.conf that i can use as a template.
>> Ive searched google,but there is but few sources of information,mainly
>> distro sites,on dual head configuration.

Try the various debian forums. you might strike it lucky.

forum(s).debian.org
debianuser
debianhelp

There is also lists at debian.org say debian-user to ask your question(s)

> Its all in manual lang to me.
What, you can't read code to relise what a brilliant fellow the writer
was. BTDT.

Bugs at debian.org

> am running Debian Squeeze 6
There is nvidia-nconfig if you are messing with nvidia cards, but I
think it still inserts nv insteal of nouveau.

Clocky

31 May 2012, 20:55:3531/05/2012
Just upgrade to Windows and be done with it.

Rule of Life

31 May 2012, 22:39:5131/05/2012
Im buying a low end gaming machine possible a quad core and i need to
run windows on that,i have windows on my laptop,came with it,so if i
can run linux on my laptop i can use the windows on the gaming pc and
not have to buy another copy of windows.

Linux is running great,more flexible than windows,the ATI drivers
would not even display the secound screen on windows seven,had to
disable them.

downloaded an app called grandr for linux,got me setup with dual
screens real quick
Just some fine tuning todo on the display area,on the out put,it only
outputs windows at the resolution of the laptop.

any way happy now laptop is fully configured only took me seven days
round the clock,to installed and download Debian

Rule of Life

31 May 2012, 22:42:4731/05/2012
thanks for your help,
I tryed the aticonfig but that never worked,lucky i had an old,X
generated xorg.conf (X crashs now when i try configure with the ati
drivers)
I modified it a bit adding the driver etc.,then downlaoded a programe
for Gnome2 called grandr,
got the secound screen working in a secound

Albm&ctd

1 Jun 2012, 00:50:0201/06/2012
In article <4fc812d5$0$1510$c3e8da3$7649...@news.astraweb.com>,
not...@happen.com says...
My 64 bit Win 7 doesn't recognise my printer (no driver and the 64 bit XP driver
I tried doesn't work), an early Epson stylus.
I got it working perfectly under Puppy Linux.
If I only had Win 7, that printer would be landfill when it is in perfect
working order. Win 9x can also use it with what I assume are buggy drivers due
to it's peculiar behaviour sometimes, but not my new Windows 7, ahhh progress.

ps: Out of all the shitty new multifunction inkjet printers, has anyone found a
good one?

Al

I don't take sides.
It's more fun to insult everyone.

Krypsis

1 Jun 2012, 01:49:1501/06/2012
Short answer - no!

Don't do much printing at home anyway so the cartridges dry out... Use
the printers at the office, just send the print jobs in from home, print
on the office printer, get 'em mailed/couriered to me.

--

Krypsis

Stephen Harker

1 Jun 2012, 03:49:3201/06/2012
You don't need to do anything with xorg.conf, merely use xrandr
(although there is more you can do with xorg.conf). Do a search for
`xrandr dual monitor' and you will get a lot of information. On my
ancient laptop I use the following for clone mode:

xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --same-as LVDS

You can do a lot more with various approaches depending on your
chipset and needs, see for example:

<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution>
<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2>

--
Stephen Harker s.ha...@adfa.edu.au
PEMS http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/

Clocky

1 Jun 2012, 10:14:2901/06/2012
Laser printers have come down in price, maybe that's the way to go. Good
luck getting Linux to support them though, but too modern.

And btw, I would have to purchase a driver to use my old Canon with Linux
too, which costs more than the bloody printer did.

Zebee Johnstone

1 Jun 2012, 16:08:5701/06/2012
In aus.computers.linux on Fri, 1 Jun 2012 22:14:29 +0800
Clocky <not...@happen.com> wrote:

> Laser printers have come down in price, maybe that's the way to go. Good
> luck getting Linux to support them though, but too modern.
>
> And btw, I would have to purchase a driver to use my old Canon with Linux
> too, which costs more than the bloody printer did.

I bought a Brother laser printer for about $80 in Officeworks and
Fedora 16 supported it straight out of the box, no problem.

HL 2142

Lasers are good because unlike inkjets you can leave them unused for
months then print.

Colour lasers require research, usually if there's postscript
available you are OK.

Zebee

atec77

1 Jun 2012, 17:45:5901/06/2012
HP4550 works just fine (mepis)

Stephen Harker

2 Jun 2012, 01:48:1502/06/2012
I have had no problem with laser printers for years when using those
at work: mostly colour HPs, but also one Konica-Minolta. At home I
use an old b&w Fuji-Xerox 3125 without problems. One starting point
for linux printer information is:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting

Freddy

2 Jun 2012, 20:50:3902/06/2012
same here, I bought a HP1102P wireless laser from officesluts for $99,
works great with mint11, I mainly print invoices and service manuals
with it, as you say it can sit around for weeks on end and print a first
page out in less then 15seconds.

the Epson inkjet CX3700 on the other hand goes through this head
cleaning routine every time I turn it on, I always seem to be replacing
ink carts in it, A real PITA if you just want to print one page, this is
where the laser shines :)

F Murtz

2 Jun 2012, 21:29:4502/06/2012
Get a cannon and refill it yourself, I have been using an mp510 and have
been refilling it from new for more than 3 years from 4 250 ml bottles
which cost $20 odd each

jonz

3 Jun 2012, 04:01:5903/06/2012
On 1/06/2012 2:50 PM, Albm&ctd wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
bought a canon pixma mp250 about a year ago $39...excellent
everything...have refilled carts twice so far....value i reckon.....

terryc

3 Jun 2012, 10:17:4103/06/2012
On 02/06/12 00:14, Clocky wrote:

> And btw, I would have to purchase a driver to use my old Canon with Linux
> too, which costs more than the bloody printer did.

That is why I'm still using lprng on Linux.
If I wanted to screw arund with "drivers", then I'd run windows.

Clocky

4 Jun 2012, 04:55:5204/06/2012
My Epson carts are chipped so refilling isn't an option.

terryc

4 Jun 2012, 12:26:4604/06/2012
On 04/06/12 18:55, Clocky wrote:

> My Epson carts are chipped so refilling isn't an option.

Went for a Rihacc continuous ink system. About the same price as the
EpsonT50.

Clocky

4 Jun 2012, 17:59:2004/06/2012
You prefer to screw around with half functioning hardware, having to screw
around making sure what models Linux supports and limiting your choice
accordingly and screwing around with kernel upgrades and having to put up
with people calling you a noob when your Linux install goes pearshaped.

Or you can just install the Windows driver and software package that comes
with the printer and is fully supported by the manufacturer with support and
updates as required... gee, tough choice that one.

Now, which is easier...

F Murtz

4 Jun 2012, 21:24:0104/06/2012
That is why I said canon, you can make them ignore the chip.

Fraser Johnston

4 Jun 2012, 23:18:3704/06/2012
I'm running a hp colour laser at home and it is pretty good. Inkjet is
only good if you want to print photos. But for what the media costs you
are probably better off getting them done at Harvey Norman.

--

Fraser

Noddy

4 Jun 2012, 23:27:4404/06/2012
On 5/06/2012 2:26 AM, terryc wrote:

> Went for a Rihacc continuous ink system. About the same price as the
> EpsonT50.

Why do you guys fuck around with inkjets when lasers can be had for next
to nothing?

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

4 Jun 2012, 23:34:3104/06/2012
On 5/06/2012 1:18 PM, Fraser Johnston wrote:

> I'm running a hp colour laser at home and it is pretty good. Inkjet is
> only good if you want to print photos. But for what the media costs you
> are probably better off getting them done at Harvey Norman.

Absolutely. Hardley Normal will do photo's for 11 cents each, and even
my local service station will do them for 25 cents. Compared to the
price of the consumables and the number of times the average person
wants to print a photo it's hardly worthwhile having an inkjet printer.

If anyone wants one, I have a 12 month old HP something or other full
duplex inkjet in my shed they can have for free. It printed about 10
pages in total before I was so fucking disgusted with it's performance
that I pitched it to the shithouse and bought a multi-function laser.

The laser, which is a Samsung SCX 4828FN, is fucking brilliant. The wife
still insists on having a photo printing inkjet, even though she'll
print photo's so infrequently that the things come out looking like shit
because the print heads are fucked.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

terryc

5 Jun 2012, 01:10:2905/06/2012
The reason, since the demise of the Canon SX engine, is the cost of
toner and the messyness of refilling toner cartridges.

What is the price of a GOOD colour laser?

I have three mono laser here, all A4/A3, but all in need of a major service.

terryc

5 Jun 2012, 01:15:2305/06/2012
On 05/06/12 07:59, Clocky wrote:
> terryc wrote:
>> On 02/06/12 00:14, Clocky wrote:
>>
>>> And btw, I would have to purchase a driver to use my old Canon with
>>> Linux too, which costs more than the bloody printer did.
>>
>> That is why I'm still using lprng on Linux.
>> If I wanted to screw arund with "drivers", then I'd run windows.
>
> You prefer to screw around with half functioning hardware,

I have full functioning hardware.

> having to screw
> around making sure what models Linux supports and limiting your choice
> accordingly and screwing around with kernel upgrades and having to put up
> with people calling you a noob when your Linux install goes pearshaped.
>
> Or you can just install the Windows driver and software package that comes
> with the printer and is fully supported by the manufacturer with support and
> updates as required.. gee, tough choice that one.

Lol, the fantasy world, where Microsoft taps your pocket when they want
more income.

> Now, which is easier...

I'll stick to *nix and lprng. Been running it(& lp, lpr) for for nearly
two decades. OTOH, win3,1 win3,11, win95, win98, win 2000 and the rest
I've ignored, but plenty of hardware was forced retirement under the MS OSs.

F Murtz

5 Jun 2012, 01:26:1105/06/2012
The ink has cost me $80 aprox (bottles still 1/4 full after 3 or more
years, heavy weight gloss A4 paper I get on special when it is less than
$20 per hundred which means paper is less than 5 cents per 1/4 sheet.
I print loads of photos mostly A4 as it so cheap.

Fraser Johnston

5 Jun 2012, 03:31:3905/06/2012
Lasers are crap at photo printing.

--

Fraser

Noddy

5 Jun 2012, 06:06:3505/06/2012
On 5/06/2012 3:10 PM, terryc wrote:

> The reason, since the demise of the Canon SX engine, is the cost of
> toner and the messyness of refilling toner cartridges.

What kind of laser are you talking about? I can buy a replacement toner
cartridge for my Brother laser for 58 bucks that's good for 3000 pages,
and the mess is limited to taking it out of the box and plonking it into
the machine.

> What is the price of a GOOD colour laser?

That would depend on what you define as "good" I suppose. If you have a
need to print in colour then I'm sure there'll be something reasonably
priced on the market that would suit you.

> I have three mono laser here, all A4/A3, but all in need of a major
> service.

So pitch them and buy something decent.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Clocky

5 Jun 2012, 06:09:4405/06/2012
terryc wrote:
> On 05/06/12 07:59, Clocky wrote:
>> terryc wrote:

>>> That is why I'm still using lprng on Linux.
>>> If I wanted to screw arund with "drivers", then I'd run windows.
>>
>> You prefer to screw around with half functioning hardware,
>
> I have full functioning hardware.
>
>> having to screw
>> around making sure what models Linux supports and limiting your
>> choice accordingly and screwing around with kernel upgrades and
>> having to put up with people calling you a noob when your Linux
>> install goes pearshaped. Or you can just install the Windows driver and
>> software package that
>> comes with the printer and is fully supported by the manufacturer
>> with support and updates as required.. gee, tough choice that one.
>
> Lol, the fantasy world, where Microsoft taps your pocket when they
> want more income.

Which is completely removed from a Windows users actual experiences. Linux
is only free if you don't value your time.

>> Now, which is easier...
>
> I'll stick to *nix and lprng. Been running it(& lp, lpr) for for
> nearly two decades. OTOH, win3,1 win3,11, win95, win98, win 2000 and the
> rest
> I've ignored, but plenty of hardware was forced retirement under the
> MS OSs.

You're forced to stick with old and outdated equipment because of your
choice of OS, and because of your poor choice you have to be an apologist
for it.

No thanks, Windows works, the hardware works and backwards compatibility
extends well beyond the life expectancy of the equipment.

D Walford

5 Jun 2012, 06:40:4505/06/2012
On 05/06/2012 3:10 PM, terryc wrote:
> On 05/06/12 13:27, Noddy wrote:
>> On 5/06/2012 2:26 AM, terryc wrote:
>>
>>> Went for a Rihacc continuous ink system. About the same price as the
>>> EpsonT50.
>>
>> Why do you guys fuck around with inkjets when lasers can be had for next
>> to nothing?
>
> The reason, since the demise of the Canon SX engine, is the cost of
> toner and the messyness of refilling toner cartridges.
>
> What is the price of a GOOD colour laser?

My Brother MFC 9120CN cost under $500.00 and that was a while ago so
something similar is probably even cheaper now.
I buy toner from Cartridge World at half the price of genuine so no mess
at all.

> I have three mono laser here, all A4/A3, but all in need of a major
> service.

I also have a HP P1102w mono laser that I bought because it was cheap
and portable, I didn't end up using it for my original purpose so now I
only use it if I need something printed on my company letterhead.

Daryl

Clocky

5 Jun 2012, 08:34:2605/06/2012
Stop picking crap up from the roadside... there is a reason they're on the
verge!

Clocky

5 Jun 2012, 08:45:3405/06/2012
Noddy wrote:
> On 5/06/2012 1:18 PM, Fraser Johnston wrote:
>
>> I'm running a hp colour laser at home and it is pretty good. Inkjet
>> is only good if you want to print photos. But for what the media
>> costs you are probably better off getting them done at Harvey Norman.
>
> Absolutely. Hardley Normal will do photo's for 11 cents each, and even
> my local service station will do them for 25 cents. Compared to the
> price of the consumables and the number of times the average person
> wants to print a photo it's hardly worthwhile having an inkjet
> printer.
> If anyone wants one, I have a 12 month old HP something or other full
> duplex inkjet in my shed they can have for free. It printed about 10
> pages in total before I was so fucking disgusted with it's performance
> that I pitched it to the shithouse and bought a multi-function laser.

I bought an Epson Multi-function because it had a slide scanner function and
I had some slides to scan. Well the performance of that was abysmal and then
it chews cartridges like there is no tomorrow because it decides to do a
headclean thing every time you switch the fucking thing on.
Even if one colour carts is empty it stops printing anything until you
replace it. Because they're chipped you can't just refill them.
I opened one of the "empty" cartridges and found it 1/3 full - that was the
last straw. I threw the cunt of a thing into the box it came in and tossed
it in the shed.

Fuck Epson and fuck inkjets, my next purchase will be a laser.

> The laser, which is a Samsung SCX 4828FN, is fucking brilliant. The
> wife still insists on having a photo printing inkjet, even though
> she'll print photo's so infrequently that the things come out looking
> like shit because the print heads are fucked.

I'll have look at the Samsungs...

Noddy

5 Jun 2012, 09:17:1205/06/2012
On 5/06/2012 10:45 PM, Clocky wrote:

> I bought an Epson Multi-function because it had a slide scanner function and
> I had some slides to scan. Well the performance of that was abysmal and then
> it chews cartridges like there is no tomorrow because it decides to do a
> headclean thing every time you switch the fucking thing on.
> Even if one colour carts is empty it stops printing anything until you
> replace it. Because they're chipped you can't just refill them.
> I opened one of the "empty" cartridges and found it 1/3 full - that was the
> last straw. I threw the cunt of a thing into the box it came in and tossed
> it in the shed.
>
> Fuck Epson and fuck inkjets, my next purchase will be a laser.

I hear ya.

The HP inkjet I bought about 12 months ago had all the bells & whistles
I wanted, and while I wasn't particularly interested in printing in
colour it supported full duplex printing which was the main reason I
bought it. I was sick of wasting paper every time I wanted to print out
a multi page document, and I wanted something that would print on both
sides automatically. But the thing's paper handling was so ridiculous
that I cracked the shits with it on the first day of use and threw it
back in it's box.

> I'll have look at the Samsungs...

Seriously, I've had a few multi-function printers over the years and
this thing is far and away the best one around for the money.

The scanner & fax work great, it comes with a full 5000 page toner
cartridge rather than a 1000 page "starter" kit like some do, it has
stand alone network function making it accessible through my home wifi
by any machine in the house, comes with excellent software and it's
paper handling is superb. Print speed is pretty quick, even when
printing on both sides of the page, and it never jams or carries on. It
truly is a set and forget machine that does what the makers claim, and
about my only criticism of the thing is that it doesn't have a backlit
LCD screen on the front panel making the commands a bit hard to read if
the room is a bit dark.

The best part about it was that the thing cost under 300 bucks about a
year ago, and it's been worth every cent and then some.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Gordon Levi

5 Jun 2012, 10:36:5905/06/2012
They are _really_ bad at printing labels on DVDs.

terryc

5 Jun 2012, 13:41:5205/06/2012
On 05/06/12 20:06, Noddy wrote:
> On 5/06/2012 3:10 PM, terryc wrote:
>
>> The reason, since the demise of the Canon SX engine, is the cost of
>> toner and the messyness of refilling toner cartridges.
>
> What kind of laser are you talking about? I can buy a replacement toner
> cartridge for my Brother laser for 58 bucks that's good for 3000 pages,

If that is 5% coverage, then that is 2c per page. Ouch.

terryc

5 Jun 2012, 13:44:0305/06/2012
On 05/06/12 20:40, D Walford wrote:

> My Brother MFC 9120CN cost under $500.00 and that was a while ago so
> something similar is probably even cheaper now.
> I buy toner from Cartridge World at half the price of genuine so no mess
> at all.

Okay, when I'm considering a new laser, then I'll price their toner
cartridges. I kow their inkjet cartridges were about double-triple what
other offered Epson compatible cartridges for.

terryc

5 Jun 2012, 13:47:2905/06/2012
On 05/06/12 22:34, Clocky wrote:

> Stop picking crap up from the roadside... there is a reason they're on the
> verge!

Lol, that is how I get rid of the scrap from dismantling them.

Only one of them was a pickup and it came with two cartridges and good
quality printing. we just worked it to death.

Another was a refurb and I put 300,000+ pages through it, by which time
it was ancient tech and a replacemtn A4 laser was less then te 600k service.

The third was purchased new, but the cost of service is again more than
another new printer.

terryc

5 Jun 2012, 13:49:4305/06/2012
On 05/06/12 22:45, Clocky wrote:

> Fuck Epson and fuck inkjets, my next purchase will be a laser.

You are totally right about the new Epsons. This was why i tried the
Rihacc continuous nking system.

terryc

5 Jun 2012, 13:56:5705/06/2012
On 05/06/12 20:09, Clocky wrote:

>> Lol, the fantasy world, where Microsoft taps your pocket when they
>> want more income.
>>

> Which is completely removed from a Windows users actual experiences. Linux
> is only free if you don't value your time.

Bullshit. I've been running MS OSs on computers in parallel to the *nix
machines as I needed them for testing/lab purposes for contracts. I know
how much they were (I'm now retired) costing.

>>> Now, which is easier...
>>
>> I'll stick to *nix and lprng. Been running it(& lp, lpr) for for
>> nearly two decades. OTOH, win3,1 win3,11, win95, win98, win 2000 and the
>> rest
>> I've ignored, but plenty of hardware was forced retirement under the
>> MS OSs.
>
> You're forced to stick with old and outdated equipment because of your
> choice of OS, and because of your poor choice you have to be an apologist
> for it.

Shrug, it does what I need to do and I see no reason to replace it with
something else. OTOH, I ony buy stuff with open interfaces and do not
buy closed proprietary hardware, so it is compatible with everything and
not just one OS on one hardware.

> No thanks, Windows works, the hardware works and backwards compatibility
> extends well beyond the life expectancy of the equipment.

Wow, you have low expectations.

jonz

5 Jun 2012, 21:44:2205/06/2012
On 5/06/2012 10:45 PM, Clocky wrote:
> Noddy wrote:
>> On 5/06/2012 1:18 PM, Fraser Johnston wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running a hp colour laser at home and it is pretty good. Inkjet
>>> is only good if you want to print photos. But for what the media
>>> costs you are probably better off getting them done at Harvey Norman.
>>
>> Absolutely. Hardley Normal will do photo's for 11 cents each, and even
>> my local service station will do them for 25 cents. Compared to the
>> price of the consumables and the number of times the average person
>> wants to print a photo it's hardly worthwhile having an inkjet
>> printer.
>> If anyone wants one, I have a 12 month old HP something or other full
>> duplex inkjet in my shed they can have for free. It printed about 10
>> pages in total before I was so fucking disgusted with it's performance
>> that I pitched it to the shithouse and bought a multi-function laser.
>>

> I bought an Epson Multi-function because it had a slide scanner function and
> I had some slides to scan. Well the performance of that was abysmal and then
> it chews cartridges like there is no tomorrow because it decides to do a
> headclean thing every time you switch the fucking thing on.
> Even if one colour carts is empty it stops printing anything until you
> replace it. Because they're chipped you can't just refill them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my canon mp 250 has chipped carts, there is plenty of info on the net
regarding resetting after a refill (yes, i`ve done it)....dunno about epson.

Clocky

6 Jun 2012, 05:09:4206/06/2012
Can't be done on my model.

jonz

6 Jun 2012, 05:33:1606/06/2012
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ok

Noddy

6 Jun 2012, 07:08:0806/06/2012
On 6/06/2012 12:36 AM, Gordon Levi wrote:

> They are _really_ bad at printing labels on DVDs.

Do people still actually do that these days? :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

6 Jun 2012, 07:08:5306/06/2012
On 6/06/2012 3:41 AM, terryc wrote:

> If that is 5% coverage, then that is 2c per page. Ouch.

And how does your inkjet compare?

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Krypsis

6 Jun 2012, 08:27:2706/06/2012
On 6/06/2012 9:08 PM, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2012 12:36 AM, Gordon Levi wrote:
>
>> They are _really_ bad at printing labels on DVDs.
>
> Do people still actually do that these days? :)

Only those pirating movies and software.

--

Krypsis

F Murtz

6 Jun 2012, 09:01:4406/06/2012
On my canons you can make them ignore the chip after many warnings, but
be it on your own head it warns

terryc

6 Jun 2012, 09:40:4506/06/2012
On 06/06/12 21:08, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2012 3:41 AM, terryc wrote:
>
>> If that is 5% coverage, then that is 2c per page. Ouch.
>
> And how does your inkjet compare?

That isn't the issue. I'm looking at toner and other costs per page for
printing as a job cost*.

I use lasers for basically text and diagram printing with the
occassional greyscale image. I use the inkjet for similar, but it also
regularly does A4 size colour images, so it is hard to compare directly.
Probably about $50 worth of ink over 8 reams of paper.

Laser is also more permanent in my book, where as permanency in inkjet
is still open. In my experience, if I print something on a lser printer,
I can still easily read it 20+ years later.

* One of my comparison bench marks is the "number of copies" where below
it is cheaper to do laser printing and above it is cheaper to offset
print it.

terryc

6 Jun 2012, 09:42:2206/06/2012
On 06/06/12 21:08, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2012 12:36 AM, Gordon Levi wrote:
>
>> They are _really_ bad at printing labels on DVDs.
>
> Do people still actually do that these days? :)

Directly onto the CD/DVD? Yes.
Onto paper labels to apply; not if I can help it but some CD/DVDs do not
take direct printing, so you use what you have in stock.

terryc

6 Jun 2012, 09:43:4706/06/2012
Storing camera images.
Copying *nix/bsd distros.
Storing stuff in the public domain, etc, etc, etc
Oh and regular backups of critical data.

Noddy

6 Jun 2012, 09:55:1106/06/2012
On 6/06/2012 11:43 PM, terryc wrote:

> Storing camera images.
> Copying *nix/bsd distros.
> Storing stuff in the public domain, etc, etc, etc
> Oh and regular backups of critical data.

I suppose it looks prettier than just writing on the DVD with a texta if
you're *really* pedantic.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

6 Jun 2012, 10:00:1606/06/2012
On 6/06/2012 11:40 PM, terryc wrote:

> That isn't the issue. I'm looking at toner and other costs per page for
> printing as a job cost*.

What would the "other costs" be?

> I use lasers for basically text and diagram printing with the
> occassional greyscale image. I use the inkjet for similar, but it also
> regularly does A4 size colour images, so it is hard to compare directly.
> Probably about $50 worth of ink over 8 reams of paper.

8 reams is 4000 pages. What inkjet do you have that will give that sort
of economy out of 50 bucks worth of ink?

> Laser is also more permanent in my book, where as permanency in inkjet
> is still open. In my experience, if I print something on a lser printer,
> I can still easily read it 20+ years later.

If that's important, sure, but it probably isn't for most people.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

terryc

6 Jun 2012, 10:53:2006/06/2012
On 07/06/12 00:00, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2012 11:40 PM, terryc wrote:
>
>> That isn't the issue. I'm looking at toner and other costs per page for
>> printing as a job cost*.
>
> What would the "other costs" be?
Depreciation of purchase cost
service/maintenace/parts cost <- that was the big one in the HPs
toner, (or ink)
paper.
Frankly, laser printing is a lot easier to cost out.

Printers are a horses for course decision. For most people, any basic
printer probably work out cheaper. Caveat it not being too cheap and
horrible. I suspect they are like hard disk; all companies at soe stage
bring out a truly awful model.

If you have a serious use, then it is a different matter entirely.
Kyocera have always interested me, but now that the HPs have all died, I
do not have the throughput to justify one.

>> I use lasers for basically text and diagram printing with the
>> occassional greyscale image. I use the inkjet for similar, but it also
>> regularly does A4 size colour images, so it is hard to compare directly.
>> Probably about $50 worth of ink over 8 reams of paper.
>
> 8 reams is 4000 pages. What inkjet do you have that will give that sort
> of economy out of 50 bucks worth of ink?

The Epson T50 with the Rihacc. The ink initially cost ~$150 for kit with
ink. The $50 was replacement ink. The paper usage was based on the stock
of A4 standard paper here when it first arrived. now since used.
Estimated unfortunately.

With laser printers, all the ones I've had in the past had page
counters, which made it very easy to get an accurate costing. I made a
log book entry when each toner cartridge was loaded. Caught a couple of
dodgy "reloads" that way.

terryc

6 Jun 2012, 10:56:0606/06/2012
Yes (VBG) especially with my scrawl.

Handy for sharing family photographs. You can send out dgital images
taken at a kids party with them on the front, or the couple for
weddings, anniversaries, etc.

Clocky

6 Jun 2012, 18:53:4606/06/2012
Mine turns into a doorstop until I replace the empty cartridge. Then after
replacing it it wants to do a maintenance cycle which wastes the new ink as
well as empties the cartridges that weren't previously empty. Nice little
scam they have going there, the arseholes.

terryc

6 Jun 2012, 21:12:5606/06/2012
On 07/06/12 08:53, Clocky wrote:

> Mine turns into a doorstop until I replace the empty cartridge. Then after
> replacing it it wants to do a maintenance cycle which wastes the new ink as
> well as empties the cartridges that weren't previously empty. Nice little
> scam they have going there, the arseholes.

Have a look at Rihacc or one of the other continuous ink supply systems.
Just note the reset proceedure as my guess is you'll probably need it*
Rihacc are very helpful on any problems.

*Epson software keeps fighting back, but as it is on a print server that
cripples it most times.

F Murtz

7 Jun 2012, 00:43:5507/06/2012
What sort of canon is it?

?

Noddy

7 Jun 2012, 07:28:4807/06/2012
On 7/06/2012 12:56 AM, terryc wrote:

> Handy for sharing family photographs. You can send out dgital images
> taken at a kids party with them on the front, or the couple for
> weddings, anniversaries, etc.

Bleh.

I just write on the things with a felt tipped pen. If the people I give
the things to aren't happy enough with that then fuck 'em.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Clocky

7 Jun 2012, 17:20:4607/06/2012
It's an Epson, I wish it was a Canon.

Clocky

7 Jun 2012, 17:29:3907/06/2012
On mine the printer stops working but as I think it's an RX530 (it's still
packed away)and on their list I'll ask them about that.

Clocky

7 Jun 2012, 17:30:3207/06/2012
Thanks btw :-)

bsupr...@gmail.com

4 Sept 2012, 11:37:2304/09/2012

The Galaxy S2 was recently announced as the manufacturer's best selling smartphone, and is fast becoming the handset of choice for those who are looking for an alternative to the iPhone 4S.
.http://latestmobileforyou.blogspot.in/