China PLA Unit 61398 pumps the NBN full of hacking packets

Anonymous

Jun 19, 2020, 7:21:34 AM6/19/20
They must love Rudd for creating the NBN to make their
evil deeds easier.
Reds under the bed? Not anymore - they are in optic fibre,
the Cisco switches, the firewalls ....

news18

Jun 19, 2020, 7:28:54 AM6/19/20
They've been in Cisco switches from the 80's that I know off and they
were infesting Telstra then as well. The diff is that many mre peope are
easily able to see what they are up to and ScoMo has SFA understanding.
what is he trying to cover up. the journo's have missed something.

Petzl

Jun 19, 2020, 6:43:49 PM6/19/20
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:28:52 -0000 (UTC), news18 <new...@woa.com.au>
wrote:
Doubt if there is any more of an "attack" from China than "normal".
Online criminals are simply continuing to distribute spam and carry
out scams - even seemingly with the Chinese government involved.
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

Computer Nerd Kev

Jun 19, 2020, 10:38:36 PM6/19/20
Not sure if there was more in the OP's post, the remailer they're
using must have been blocked by Aioe, because it's not showing here.

"According to the ASCS, the main way the attackers have compromised
systems is via a piece of software used to manage web servers called
Telerik UI.

This vulnerability -- and the patch to fix it -- has been around
since 2019.

The ASCS also issued an advisory on this very vulnerability in just
March this year."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-20/australian-departments-routinely-audited-for-cyber-readiness/12375050

So if the Australian Cyber Security Centre can be believed, it's not
so much to do with the NBN as specific government department servers
and their insecure software.

As for where the attack came from. China seems probable, but public
information on any "smoking guns" that actually reveal who performs
these attacks never seems to be made public, so one wonders if any
of them can genuinely be attributed to a particular government
hacking programme without reasonable doubt.

It's hard to imagine that state actors couldn't pull off almost any
attack via secret VPN servers located in other countries, so the idea
that you can study the attack itself and conclude where it came from
seems very odd to me. Unless there are spies "on the inside" at
least (the US probably has, but I doubt they'd tell our government
what they find out).

--
__ __

Jeßus

Jun 20, 2020, 10:34:23 PM6/20/20
It's such an obvious lie on the part of Australia, almost so obvious
as to be pathetic. But they're probably correct that the public will
buy their bullshit.

Clocky

Jun 22, 2020, 9:08:19 PM6/22/20
Where there is smoke, there is fire.