crackly line

Max

Jul 24, 2015, 4:17:41 AM7/24/15
I know someone with a crackly phone line and also a ADSL connection which
drops out from time to time.

What could be the cause?

John G

Jul 24, 2015, 5:20:19 AM7/24/15
Max was thinking very hard :
> I know someone with a crackly phone line and also a ADSL connection which
> drops out from time to time.

> What could be the cause?

Anything. :-?
Lodge a call with you provider and follow their process.

--
John G Sydney.

Rod Speed

Jul 24, 2015, 5:54:24 AM7/24/15
Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote

> I know someone with a crackly phone line and also
> a ADSL connection which drops out from time to time.

> What could be the cause?

Bad joint in the phone line or a bad connector in the house.

Rod Speed

Jul 24, 2015, 5:55:07 AM7/24/15

"John G" <joh...@green.com> wrote in message
> Max was thinking very hard :
>> I know someone with a crackly phone line and also a ADSL connection which
>> drops out from time to time.
>
>> What could be the cause?
>
> Anything. :-?

Nope, it isn't that he has his dick in his hand.

Clocky

Jul 24, 2015, 12:56:21 PM7/24/15
I replaced my Billion ADSL modem with a Technicolor (ex-Bigpond users $5
swap meet jobby) and all my phone line noise disappeared and ADSL
connection speed improved as a bonus.

Rod Speed

Jul 24, 2015, 2:27:02 PM7/24/15

"Clocky" <notg...@happen.com> wrote in message
> On 24/07/2015 4:17 PM, Max wrote:
>> I know someone with a crackly phone line and also a ADSL connection
>> which drops out from time to time.
>>
>> What could be the cause?

> I replaced my Billion ADSL modem with a Technicolor (ex-Bigpond users $5
> swap meet jobby)

I replaced my Billion with a Netcomm from a garage sale,
just because the Netcomm is a voip router that I have never
actually gotten around to actually using the voip capability of.

> and all my phone line noise disappeared

I never had any phone line noise with the Billion.

> and ADSL connection speed improved as a bonus.

It did make a small difference to mine, but that was
because the Billion is ADSL and the Netcomm is
ADSL2+ and I changed to an ADSL2+ service
from the previous ADSL service.

Max

Jul 25, 2015, 6:22:30 AM7/25/15

"John G" <joh...@green.com> wrote in message
It's Bigpond, so you get taken through an hour long script with someone from
the Philipines and then it gets 'escalated' to another 1 hour long script
with someone else, then they send someone out who checks the lines and says
something like "Get a new router" or "Get new line filters".

I have told the bloke to get on to NBN satellite. At least then you don't
have any issues with a bad line.

Rod Speed

Jul 25, 2015, 6:41:33 AM7/25/15

"Max" <m...@val.morgan> wrote in message

> "John G" <joh...@green.com> wrote in message
>> Max was thinking very hard :
>>> I know someone with a crackly phone line and also a ADSL connection
>>> which drops out from time to time.
>>
>>> What could be the cause?
>>
>> Anything. :-?
>> Lodge a call with you provider and follow their process.
>>

> It's Bigpond, so you get taken through an hour long script with someone
> from the Philipines and then it gets 'escalated' to another 1 hour long
> script with someone else,

Doesn't take anything like that when the
droid can hear the crackling themselves.

> then they send someone out who checks the lines and says something like
> "Get a new router" or "Get new line filters".

And someone like me tell that goon that it can't be the cause
of the crackling because its still there with none of that on the
line and they realise that they'll have to fix the actual problem.

> I have told the bloke to get on to NBN satellite.

More fool you.

> At least then you don't have any issues with a bad line.

You are stuck with pathetic data limits.

Max

Jul 25, 2015, 6:51:29 AM7/25/15

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Max" <m...@val.morgan> wrote in message
>>
>> "John G" <joh...@green.com> wrote in message
>>> Max was thinking very hard :

>>> Anything. :-?
>>> Lodge a call with you provider and follow their process.
>>>

>> It's Bigpond, so you get taken through an hour long script with someone
>> from the Philipines and then it gets 'escalated' to another 1 hour long
>> script with someone else,
>
> Doesn't take anything like that when the
> droid can hear the crackling themselves.

The complaint is an internet connection that drops out so you get the
standard internet connection script.

>> then they send someone out who checks the lines and says something like
>> "Get a new router" or "Get new line filters".
>
> And someone like me tell that goon that it can't be the cause
> of the crackling because its still there with none of that on the
> line and they realise that they'll have to fix the actual problem.

The guy says the telstra thing in the ground down at the road is water
logged. Could that be the cause?

>> I have told the bloke to get on to NBN satellite.
>
> More fool you.

They are phasing out the copper network so it's the only way forward.

>> At least then you don't have any issues with a bad line.
>
> You are stuck with pathetic data limits.

250GB is alright. Only 24/7 TV streaming would break that limit.

Rod Speed

Jul 25, 2015, 3:49:34 PM7/25/15

> "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Max" <m...@val.morgan> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "John G" <joh...@green.com> wrote in message

>>> It's Bigpond, so you get taken through an hour long script with someone
>>> from the Philipines and then it gets 'escalated' to another 1 hour long
>>> script with someone else,
>>
>> Doesn't take anything like that when the
>> droid can hear the crackling themselves.

> The complaint is an internet connection that drops out so you get the
> standard internet connection script.

The complaint should be about the crackling because
the droid can obviously hear that for themselves.

>>> then they send someone out who checks the lines and says something like
>>> "Get a new router" or "Get new line filters".

>> And someone like me tells that goon that it can't be the cause
>> of the crackling because its still there with none of that on the
>> line and they realise that they'll have to fix the actual problem.

> The guy says the telstra thing in the ground down at the road is water
> logged. Could that be the cause?

Yep.

>>> I have told the bloke to get on to NBN satellite.

>> More fool you.

> They are phasing out the copper network so it's the only way forward.

Not SATELLITE it isn't.

>>> At least then you don't have any issues with a bad line.

>> You are stuck with pathetic data limits.

> 250GB is alright.

You don't get that with the SATELLITE service.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 25, 2015, 8:05:14 PM7/25/15
In aus.computers Max <m...@val.morgan> wrote:

> I have told the bloke to get on to NBN satellite. At least then you don't
> have any issues with a bad line.

Ha! ha! ha! ha!

That's gold that is.

Yeah, not 'till it rains, or gets cloudy, or you don't do the sacred ritual
dance before turning on the modem. Might depend where you are, but I expect
any home service will have _some_ problems.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Petzl

Jul 25, 2015, 11:23:07 PM7/25/15
You need to contact Telstra's *SERVICE MANAGER*
I had this for over 30 years, seems a lot were writing into local and
our *SERVICE MANAGER* gave his email address
He selects his 2 repair men personally, they turn up less than 15
minutes my problem gone. Turns out it was wired wrong?
Still not a great ADSL 2+ connection but at least it now works.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50667687/speedtestTelstra.png
During those 30 years "linesmen" were turning up like mormons around
or even over a 1000 of them
--
Petzl
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Max

Jul 27, 2015, 1:35:04 AM7/27/15

"Jeßus" <a...@chevron.com> wrote in message
> The service is oversubscribed to buggery, which makes it extremely
> slow. Other than that, it's actually quite good (as long as you're not
> a gamer).

I saw 30Mpbs on a NBN satellite connection. What can't you do on that?

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Jul 27, 2015, 3:36:25 PM7/27/15

"Max" <m...@val.morgan> wrote in message
Not thruput for long you didn't.

Clocky

Jul 27, 2015, 8:42:39 PM7/27/15
On 25/07/2015 2:26 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

> "Clocky" <notg...@happen.com> wrote in message
>> On 24/07/2015 4:17 PM, Max wrote:
>>> I know someone with a crackly phone line and also a ADSL connection
>>> which drops out from time to time.
>>>
>>> What could be the cause?
>
>> I replaced my Billion ADSL modem with a Technicolor (ex-Bigpond users
>> $5 swap meet jobby)
>
> I replaced my Billion with a Netcomm from a garage sale,
> just because the Netcomm is a voip router that I have never
> actually gotten around to actually using the voip capability of.
>
>> and all my phone line noise disappeared
>
> I never had any phone line noise with the Billion.

I've had issues with line noise since I've had it. I always thought it
was the cheap cordless phones we had but with the Technicolor the noise
has completely disappeared. Maybe it's just a combination of the phones
and the Billion, or the Billion was faulty from day one.

>> and ADSL connection speed improved as a bonus.
>
> It did make a small difference to mine, but that was
> because the Billion is ADSL and the Netcomm is
> ADSL2+ and I changed to an ADSL2+ service
> from the previous ADSL service.

My improvement was from a max of around 8-9Mbps to consistently just
over 10 so I'll take that.

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 28, 2015, 6:55:20 PM7/28/15
In aus.computers Je?us <a...@chevron.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 00:05:13 +0000 (UTC), n...@telling.you.invalid
> (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:
>
> The service is oversubscribed to buggery, which makes it extremely
> slow. Other than that, it's actually quite good (as long as you're not
> a gamer).

In the case I know about I think the tech setting it up said that the dish
needed to be pointed quite close to the horizon, so that might be a reason
for the easy drop outs - more in the way of the signal. It goes over
500KB/s when working properly, but connection times are much longer than
a physical line, I think ping responses from Google could take up to 2s.
That hurts a lot with complex sites that insist on connecting to lots of
different servers when they load.

I'm on 3G mobile, which never seems to get above 200KB/s (maybe 150KB/s),
but the connection times are quicker (~0.4s). I'm scraping the edge of
reception though, with the tower about 15Km away, so it might be better
still in a good spot.

I'd certainly recommend mobile if it's available. If nothing else, it's
certainly much cheaper to try mobile with a pre-paid SIM than it is
satellite. 2G is dial-up speeds though, and gets confused easily (in
fact I found Usenet sends it nuts).

## All KB/s figures above are Kilobytes/s, x8 for Kilobits.

Rod Speed

Jul 30, 2015, 3:35:06 AM7/30/15

"Clocky" <notg...@happen.com> wrote in message
The Netcomm has just partially died and the Billion has turned into a brick
and the Dlink I got at a garage sale just a couple of weeks ago turns out to
not have a power supply in the box, I keep forgetting to look in the box of
stuff like that at garage sales. I've ordered a Billion 7800NXL and it will
be
interesting to see how it performs once it shows up.

The Billion 7202G may be recoverable by reflashing the firmware with
the serial port and the Netcomm may well just have a bad cap or two
so I may well get off my arse and return them from the dead.

The dlink DSL-2770L doesn’t look great from the whirlpool thread
and I ordered the power supply from Singapore before I managed
to brick the Billion because I didn’t realise I'd need it quickly.

Message has been deleted

Lucifer

Jun 26, 2020, 8:36:01 AM6/26/20
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 16:17:05 +0800, "Max" <m...@val.morgan> wrote:

A faulty LI-2 can cause noisy line sounds.

Lucifer

Jun 26, 2020, 8:37:31 AM6/26/20
You can test your own line by dialling 12722199.