hey! what happens when 3G is switched orf in 2024?

Anonymous

Nov 29, 2019, 7:34:56 PM11/29/19
Well obviously those cheap 3G phones are useless.
But what about 4G phones that don't do VoLTE?
Then you can't make voice calls, so millions of phones
will be flicked into rubbish.

Computer Nerd Kev

Nov 30, 2019, 12:47:57 AM11/30/19
In aus.computers Anonymous <nob...@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
> Well obviously those cheap 3G phones are useless.

What? They make calls, what else do you want? I got my current one
in 2009 and it sits comfortably in the car for emergencies, with
occasional outings to substitute for my landline when the
line/exchange goes down. The battery even seems to be lasting fine
thanks to hardly any charge/discharge cycles (though that isn't
always a guarantee), so there's a good chance that it will still be
fine in 2024 when I guess I'll be forced to replace it.

I suppose I've got a deadline to get a 4G modem working for my home
internet connection too now. Shouldn't be too hard to meet though,
just a driver issue to sort out but 3G is fast enough for me that
it's not much of a priority. Reliability is a bit more of an issue,
but I doubt 4G will fix that - I think the whole phone tower just
tends to go down from time to time and the next one is too far away.
The other option is satellite, and I know it's no better in that
regard.

> But what about 4G phones that don't do VoLTE?
> Then you can't make voice calls, so millions of phones
> will be flicked into rubbish.

Yeah, and plenty were when 2G went off as well, though I ended up
with some of them for my phone collection shelf.

I didn't even know that 5G was available in Aus until I looked this
up, which lead me here by the way:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/telstra-flags-3g-switch-off-planned-for-2024/

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Bob

Nov 30, 2019, 3:11:31 AM11/30/19
> But what about 4G phones that don't do VoLTE?

This is the part that will be misunderstood by many.

Even of the more recent models that are capable of voice on 4G, many have
it disabled by default.

What’s the switch off date?

Petzl

Nov 30, 2019, 7:03:13 AM11/30/19
2024
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

felix

Dec 2, 2019, 9:56:43 PM12/2/19
how do we know if our phone does VoLTE? (whatever that is)

Rod Speed

Dec 2, 2019, 10:40:14 PM12/2/19

"felix" <felix@real_felix.invalid> wrote in message
Should be in the gsmarena specs for that phone
or on the manufacturer's web site unless it’s a
very obscure phone model from china.

> (whatever that is)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE

Petzl

Dec 3, 2019, 2:33:31 AM12/3/19
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:56:44 +1100, felix <felix@real_felix.invalid>
wrote:
don't matter if you have WORKING and GOOD Wifi connections, Hotel,
Club, McDonalds, Library etc.
The phone will always work for calls

Bob

Dec 4, 2019, 5:42:26 AM12/4/19
Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:56:44 +1100, felix <felix@real_felix.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> This is the part that will be misunderstood by many.
>>>
>>> Even of the more recent models that are capable of voice on 4G, many have
>>> it disabled by default.
>>>
>>> What’s the switch off date?
>>

>> how do we know if our phone does VoLTE? (whatever that is)
>
> don't matter if you have WORKING and GOOD Wifi connections, Hotel,
> Club, McDonalds, Library etc.
> The phone will always work for calls

What on earth are you talking about wifi for?

Petzl

Dec 4, 2019, 4:32:34 PM12/4/19
On Wed, 04 Dec 2019 10:42:25 GMT, Bob <b...@bob.com> wrote:

>Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:56:44 +1100, felix <felix@real_felix.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> how do we know if our phone does VoLTE? (whatever that is)
>>
>> don't matter if you have WORKING and GOOD Wifi connections, Hotel,
>> Club, McDonalds, Library etc.
>> The phone will always work for calls
>
>What on earth are you talking about wifi for?

3G closure only affects data reception on mobiles
Never use data on my mobile there are plenty of free WiFi "points"
around me, don't make many calls, costs me $10 every 6 months for my
smartphone.
--
Petzl
Obama is like a guy who couldn't open a jar for 8 years,

Ned Latham

Dec 4, 2019, 9:32:43 PM12/4/19
Petzl wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > Petzl wrote:

> > > don't matter if you have WORKING and GOOD Wifi connections, Hotel,
> > > Club, McDonalds, Library etc.
> > >
> > > The phone will always work for calls
> >
> > What on earth are you talking about wifi for?
>
> 3G closure only affects data reception on mobiles
> Never use data on my mobile there are plenty of free WiFi "points"
> around me, don't make many calls, costs me $10 every 6 months for my
> smartphone.

With whom?

Bob

Dec 5, 2019, 3:05:14 PM12/5/19

>> 3G closure only affects data reception on mobiles

Hi, what makes you believe this?

Petzl

Dec 5, 2019, 3:48:13 PM12/5/19

Petzl

Dec 5, 2019, 3:53:39 PM12/5/19
On Thu, 05 Dec 2019 20:05:13 GMT, Bob <b...@bob.com> wrote:

>>> 3G closure only affects data reception on mobiles
>
>Hi, what makes you believe this?

IF you have a 3G only mobile phone
By 2024 they won't be able to recieve/send data through a mobile tower
But you can still send and recieve calls, Data will still be able to
be used send/recieve on them through WiFi points home, shopping
centres etc
--
It’s Racist And Insensitive
To Tell Moslems Not To Poop On The Floor

news18

Dec 5, 2019, 7:56:07 PM12/5/19
On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 07:53:37 +1100, Petzl wrote:

>>Hi, what makes you believe this?
>
> IF you have a 3G only mobile phone By 2024 they won't be able to
> recieve/send data through a mobile tower But you can still send and
> recieve calls,

Err, phone calls are DATA too.

Rod Speed

Dec 5, 2019, 8:59:47 PM12/5/19

"news18" <new...@woa.com.au> wrote in message
But not 3G data.

Ned Latham

Dec 5, 2019, 11:21:15 PM12/5/19

----snip----

> > > 3G closure only affects data reception on mobiles
> > > Never use data on my mobile there are plenty of free WiFi "points"
> > > around me, don't make many calls, costs me $10 every 6 months for
> > > my smartphone.
> >
> > With whom?
>
> Amaysim
> https://www.amaysim.com.au/plans/mobile-plans/as-you-go

Thanks, man.

Bob

Dec 6, 2019, 2:55:00 AM12/6/19
Finally proof you’re an impostor.

Petzl

Dec 6, 2019, 5:34:21 AM12/6/19
On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 00:56:07 -0000 (UTC), news18 <new...@woa.com.au>
wrote:
Nothing to do with 3G 4G 5G

FMurtz

Dec 6, 2019, 5:41:10 AM12/6/19
I was on $10 per month with them for unlimited plus 1 Gb, but they have
talked me into $15.00 per month with 5 GB

Ned Latham

Dec 6, 2019, 9:10:01 AM12/6/19
Hafta say, I prefer $10 / 6 months.

Computer Nerd Kev

Dec 6, 2019, 5:54:24 PM12/6/19
I've got $5/year with ALDI by buying a new SIM card every year for
the phone that I keep in the car and hardly ever use. There's a
minimum $10 recharge, so it ends up as $10/year if you want to keep
the same SIM/number.

Of course if you actually _use_ the phone, then Amaysim might be
cheaper, but on cost alone ALDI is better (though it's coming up
to time to buy a new one, so I might find out that the pricing has
changed in the last year). You also get partial-Telstra instead of
Optus network, which is better around where I live.

Petzl

Dec 6, 2019, 6:09:42 PM12/6/19
"credit lasts for 365 days"
$10 is for a year but if you make calls on mobile they are
15c/min standard calls to mobile & landlines costs me around $10
6months.
I had them turn Voicemail off, the phone logs who called.
You can do this on you web account page

My landline (included in Internet bundle) has no charges to
Mobiles/landlines Australia wide.
Skype is cheap and I can use it at any WiFi point with my Mobile.

FMurtz

Dec 6, 2019, 8:02:04 PM12/6/19
That is if you do not use the phone,use is charged extra.

news18

Dec 6, 2019, 9:28:28 PM12/6/19
Yep, rodbot believes in the fairies.

news18

Dec 6, 2019, 9:29:13 PM12/6/19
On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 21:34:15 +1100, Petzl wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 00:56:07 -0000 (UTC), news18 <new...@woa.com.au>
> wrote:

>>> IF you have a 3G only mobile phone By 2024 they won't be able to
>>> recieve/send data through a mobile tower But you can still send and
>>> recieve calls,
>>
>>Err, phone calls are DATA too.
>
> Nothing to do with 3G 4G 5G

It is all digital data fruit cake.

news18

Dec 6, 2019, 9:32:44 PM12/6/19
Given that you can get that for $10/month with a few RSP, it is a phfft.
The real question is how much you have to shell out for the data plan.

Bob

Dec 6, 2019, 11:43:21 PM12/6/19
news18 <new...@woa.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 21:34:15 +1100, Petzl wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 00:56:07 -0000 (UTC), news18 <new...@woa.com.au>
>> wrote:

>>> Err, phone calls are DATA too.
>>
>> Nothing to do with 3G 4G 5G
>
> It is all digital data fruit cake.

I’m astounded that in a relatively technically savvy forum people still
don’t seem able to comprehend the point of OPs post.

1. Most 4G handsets use 3G for voice. When 3G is shut down it will impact
not only 3G handsets but many 4G handsets as well.

2. 3G doesn’t use some magical separate frequency for voice. When 3G shuts
down it shuts down. Just like when 2G was shut, I now have a drawer of
antiques.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2019, 12:04:45 AM12/7/19

"news18" <new...@woa.com.au> wrote in message
But not 3G 4G or 5G with voice calls, sms or mms

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2019, 12:09:49 AM12/7/19

"news18" <new...@woa.com.au> wrote in message
In fact for just $5/month with dodo.

> it is a phfft.

And doing it all on the mobile is much more convenient
because you can call and get calls anywhere and all the
contacts and history is all in the one place.

> The real question is how much you have to shell out for the data plan.

I get 1.2GB in the $10month and don’t use anything like that
even tho I use that a lot in the garage sale run every week.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2019, 12:12:44 AM12/7/19

"Bob" <b...@bob.com> wrote in message news:I5GGF.110491$2A5....@fx38.iad...
But it does use a different protocol for voice, sms and mms.

> When 3G shuts down it shuts down.

Wrong, as always,

> Just like when 2G was shut,

Nothing like.

> I now have a drawer of antiques.

Your problem.

Bob

Dec 7, 2019, 12:20:53 AM12/7/19
If you’re trolling on the fact that these “G” names refer specifically to
data-packet transport protocols as opposed to voice telecom protocols then
you win a lollipop.

If you actually believe that 3G voice is carried on some separate
transmission outside of the 3G network that is being shut down, then you
are indeed a less-an-than-impressive impostor of the real Rod Speed.

Best case is you have it all a bit confused based on the separate issue of
4G using 3G for voice, which creates a real problem as per OP.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2019, 1:36:31 AM12/7/19

"Bob" <b...@bob.com> wrote in message news:UEGGF.212878$YF.6...@fx43.iad...
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> "news18" <new...@woa.com.au> wrote in message

>>> It is all digital data fruit cake.
>>
>> But not 3G 4G or 5G with voice calls, sms or mms

> If you’re trolling on the fact that these “G” names refer
> specifically to data-packet transport protocols

That’s not trolling, it’s a fact.

> as opposed to voice telecom protocols then you win a lollipop.

> If you actually believe that 3G voice is carried on some separate
> transmission outside of the 3G network that is being shut down,

Never said that either.

> then you are indeed a less-an-than-impressive impostor of the real Rod
> Speed.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

> Best case is you have it all a bit confused based on the separate issue
> of 4G using 3G for voice, which creates a real problem as per OP.

You're one that doesn’t have a fucking clue.

Frank Slootweg

Dec 7, 2019, 7:32:19 AM12/7/19
Bob <b...@bob.com> wrote:
> news18 <new...@woa.com.au> wrote:
> > On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 21:34:15 +1100, Petzl wrote:

> >> Nothing to do with 3G 4G 5G
> >
> > It is all digital data fruit cake.
>
> I?m astounded that in a relatively technically savvy forum people still
> don?t seem able to comprehend the point of OPs post.

N.B. The OP didn't mention this, but I assume that this is about
*Telstra*'s 3G network being switched off in mid-2024. (I don't know
what the other major networks are doing.)

> 1. Most 4G handsets use 3G for voice. When 3G is shut down it will impact
> not only 3G handsets but many 4G handsets as well.

Indeed! Most respondents do not seem to know/comprehend what VoLTE is
or/and that not all 4G handsets have VoLTE (HD calling) capability.

4G handsets which do not have VoLTE capability will indeed become
useless for *calls* because 2G and 3G will not be available and these
non-VoLTE 4G handsets can not use 4G for calls.

So these 'phones' become non-phones!

Anyway, for those who want to inform themselves, this is from the
horse's mouth:

"If you have a device that can connect by 4G, it should continue to keep
working post closure unless the device does not support 4G voice
calling (VoLTE or HD calling). If you have one of these devices you
will be able to access data but not make a phone call."

(From:
'Goodbye 3G' -> 'General'
<https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/News-Feed/Goodbye-3G/ba-p/837149>
which is pointed to by the 'We are closing 3G in mid-2014. For more
information' link on Telstra's coverage page
(<https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/our-coverage>)

> 2. 3G doesn?t use some magical separate frequency for voice. When 3G shuts
> down it shuts down. Just like when 2G was shut, I now have a drawer of
> antiques.

Where some of these 'antiques' may only be a few years old! :-(

My (Telstra/Huawei Y560-L02) smartphone is probably VoLTE capable, but
only time will tell, because the technical information (on websites)
only mentions LTE and VoLTE-testing apps seems to be unreliable.

Petzl

Dec 7, 2019, 2:00:49 PM12/7/19
On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 02:32:43 -0000 (UTC), news18 <new...@woa.com.au>
wrote:

>> "credit lasts for 365 days"
>> $10 is for a year but if you make calls on mobile they are 15c/min
>> standard calls to mobile & landlines costs me around $10 6months.
>> I had them turn Voicemail off, the phone logs who called.
>> You can do this on you web account page
>>
>> My landline (included in Internet bundle) has no charges to
>> Mobiles/landlines Australia wide.
>
>Given that you can get that for $10/month with a few RSP, it is a phfft.
>The real question is how much you have to shell out for the data plan.

Don't need Mobile data just WiFi for me is adequate.

>> Skype is cheap and I can use it at any WiFi point with my Mobile.

Computer Nerd Kev

Dec 7, 2019, 4:38:24 PM12/7/19
In aus.computers Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> N.B. The OP didn't mention this, but I assume that this is about
> *Telstra*'s 3G network being switched off in mid-2024. (I don't know
> what the other major networks are doing.)

Probably following Telstra's lead, if what they did with the 3G
switch-off is anything to go by.

Just before 2G was turned off, Telstra customers (or maybe a sub-set
thereof, but not just the ones with a phone included in their plan)
still using 2G phones were sent a text message offering them a free
4G capable phone to replace their old one. Probably a pretty cheap
replacement, but better than being abandoned altogether.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2019, 5:24:32 PM12/7/19

"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 02:32:43 -0000 (UTC), news18 <new...@woa.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>> "credit lasts for 365 days"
>>> $10 is for a year but if you make calls on mobile they are 15c/min
>>> standard calls to mobile & landlines costs me around $10 6months.
>>> I had them turn Voicemail off, the phone logs who called.
>>> You can do this on you web account page
>>>
>>> My landline (included in Internet bundle) has no charges to
>>> Mobiles/landlines Australia wide.
>>
>>Given that you can get that for $10/month with a few RSP, it is a phfft.
>>The real question is how much you have to shell out for the data plan.
>>
> Don't need Mobile data just WiFi for me is adequate.

It isnt here. Just the town library, McD's one mall and the hospital here.

Not clear how many let you use their telstra home broadband,
I don't have a Telstra mobile service, stupid pricing.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2019, 5:24:34 PM12/7/19

"Computer Nerd Kev" <n...@telling.you.invalid> wrote in message
And very affordable for telstra given then stupid prices they
were charging for a 2G service and how cheap their low end
ZTE phones are to Telstra. Locked to Telstra too.

Petzl

Dec 7, 2019, 7:14:30 PM12/7/19
All Testra shops have Telstra Air WiFi
Telstra landline customers can log onto
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/Telstra-Air-Free-Wi-Fi-Offer/ta-p/522481
https://is.gd/RfprDV
--
Petzl
Never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel

Julian Assange is still dying in prison for the crime of doing journalism and virtually no journalist on the planet cares.

They’re too obsessed with defaming and deplatforming their ideological enemies because journalism is dead.

And so might Julian Assange be pretty soon.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2019, 8:34:17 PM12/7/19

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:21:09 +1100, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Don't need Mobile data just WiFi for me is adequate.
>>
>>It isnt here. Just the town library, McD's one mall and the hospital here.
>>
>>Not clear how many let you use their telstra home broadband,
>>I don't have a Telstra mobile service, stupid pricing.

> All Testra shops have Telstra Air WiFi

Available to those who don't pay Telstra anything ?
Only a fool gets their landline from telstra.

Petzl

Dec 7, 2019, 9:44:06 PM12/7/19
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:34:06 +1100, "Rod Speed"
If you can get a logon password without paying yes

>> Telstra landline customers can log onto
>> https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/Telstra-Air-Free-Wi-Fi-Offer/ta-p/522481
>> https://is.gd/RfprDV
>
>Only a fool gets their landline from telstra.

Well if you want a copperwire fixed was to go through a Telstra
service manager who picks the repairers
After 40 years of having a buggy phone line with scores of
Telecom/Telstra zombies knock at my door (worse than Mormons) and
still leaving the phone knackered.
The local paper did a story, I was not alone, gave the email address
of the local service manager, arrived with two technitians, 5 minutes
later it was working, turned out it was wired wrong.
Went through Optus. Iprimus, etc trying to get phone to work, all sent
the same unemployable zombies, The deal to get a Telstra Service
manager was you have to be with Telstra.
Fmurtz had same trouble zombies couldn't fix it, he eventually fixed
it himself.

Rod Speed

Dec 8, 2019, 3:44:42 AM12/8/19

"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
You cant.

>>> Telstra landline customers can log onto
>>> https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/Telstra-Air-Free-Wi-Fi-Offer/ta-p/522481
>>> https://is.gd/RfprDV
>>
>>Only a fool gets their landline from telstra.
>
> Well if you want a copperwire fixed was to go through
> a Telstra service manager who picks the repairers

I didn't need to do that to get mine fixed.

Computer Nerd Kev

Dec 8, 2019, 8:22:02 PM12/8/19
In aus.computers Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:21:09 +1100, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>It isnt here. Just the town library, McD's one mall and the hospital here.
>>>
>>>Not clear how many let you use their telstra home broadband,
>>>I don't have a Telstra mobile service, stupid pricing.

>> All Testra shops have Telstra Air WiFi
>
> Available to those who don't pay Telstra anything ?

I pay dodgy sellers on Ebay $5 to get Telstra SIM cards with 3GB+ of
data that last 30days. Apparantly I could use "Telstra Air", but
there was nowhere convenient with it last time I checked. Phone
booths with little plastic tubs stuck on top are meant to be Telstra
Air hotspots too. The phone booths where I go weren't considered
worthy of wearing those plastic hats though, it seems.

Rod Speed

Dec 8, 2019, 9:09:33 PM12/8/19

"Computer Nerd Kev" <n...@telling.you.invalid> wrote in message
And we have bugger all phone booths around here now. Just a couple
in a couple of places with lots of flats here now.

Petzl

Dec 8, 2019, 10:31:25 PM12/8/19
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 19:44:31 +1100, "Rod Speed"
So if I gave you mine for Telstra Air?
I won't

>>>Only a fool gets their landline from telstra.
>>
>> Well if you want a copperwire fixed was to go through
>> a Telstra service manager who picks the repairers
>
>I didn't need to do that to get mine fixed.

Seems obvious broken wires are not a problem.

The Telstra POT is beyond these zombies.
I even told them 40 years ago the POT needed looking at reply was
"can't do that"?

Rod Speed

Dec 8, 2019, 10:54:59 PM12/8/19

"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Yeah, that would certainly work. Must get it off my
mate and see how many of the locals are actually silly
enough to be with Telstra. Lousy value broadband.

> I won't

Don't need it, mate of mine is with Telstra for his mobile.

>>> Well if you want a copperwire fixed was to go through
>>> a Telstra service manager who picks the repairers
>>
>>I didn't need to do that to get mine fixed.

> Seems obvious broken wires are not a problem.

Yours wasn't broken wires, it was a stub. Line
to someone else's house no longer used by
them in parallel with the pair to your house.

> The Telstra POT is beyond these zombies.

Yep, but obvious to someone like me.

> I even told them 40 years ago the POT needed
> looking at reply was "can't do that"?

Because you didn't know which arse to kick.

Petzl

Dec 9, 2019, 4:43:57 AM12/9/19
On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 14:47:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
As long as you don't pass it on to other mates.

>>>I didn't need to do that to get mine fixed.
>
>> Seems obvious broken wires are not a problem.
>
>Yours wasn't broken wires, it was a stub. Line
>to someone else's house no longer used by
>them in parallel with the pair to your house.

probably

>> The Telstra POT is beyond these zombies.
>
>Yep, but obvious to someone like me.
>
>> I even told them 40 years ago the POT needed
>> looking at reply was "can't do that"?
>
>Because you didn't know which arse to kick.

Neither did Telstra Iprimus Optus?

Rod Speed

Dec 9, 2019, 7:53:20 AM12/9/19

"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Absolutely guaranteed.

>>> The Telstra POT is beyond these zombies.
>>
>>Yep, but obvious to someone like me.
>>
>>> I even told them 40 years ago the POT needed
>>> looking at reply was "can't do that"?
>>
>>Because you didn't know which arse to kick.
>
> Neither did Telstra Iprimus Optus?

They don't do fault finding at that level.

Petzl

Dec 9, 2019, 2:50:57 PM12/9/19
On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 23:53:08 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Yours wasn't broken wires, it was a stub. Line
>>>to someone else's house no longer used by
>>>them in parallel with the pair to your house.
>>>
>> probably
>
>Absolutely guaranteed.

Well lived here since the Estate was new 1980's
The only reason I managed to get a Testra service manager to intervene
was the local paper got wind of over 100 others with same problem
(knackered landline) and Telstra gave his email.

>>>Yep, but obvious to someone like me.

>>>Because you didn't know which arse to kick.
>>
>> Neither did Telstra Iprimus Optus?
>
>They don't do fault finding at that level.

So they have had 1000's of zombies roaming annoying hundreds of
customers in same and adjoining suburbs "not repairing" landline and
no bell rings till the local newspaper wrote about near everyone has
bad landline, fixed in five minutes.
Maybe this was or became a norm repair with every other POT
(found wired wrong from beginning Telecom)

Rod Speed

Dec 9, 2019, 3:24:25 PM12/9/19

>>> probably
>>
>>Absolutely guaranteed.
>>
> Well lived here since the Estate was new 1980's
> The only reason I managed to get a Testra service manager to intervene
> was the local paper got wind of over 100 others with same problem
> (knackered landline) and Telstra gave his email.

>>> Neither did Telstra Iprimus Optus?
>>
>>They don't do fault finding at that level.
>
> So they have had 1000's of zombies roaming annoying hundreds of
> customers in same and adjoining suburbs "not repairing" landline

Those others didn't have your stub problem.

> and no bell rings till the local newspaper wrote
> about near everyone has bad landline,

That isnt true.

> fixed in five minutes.

> Maybe this was or became a norm repair with every other
> POT (found wired wrong from beginning Telecom)

You don't get stubs by being wired wrong from the start.

They happen when someone needs another line and
they have to use a pair that had previously been used
by someone else who had stopped paying for that line.

Petzl

Dec 9, 2019, 4:25:12 PM12/9/19
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 07:17:01 +1100, "Rod Speed"
It is and was true.
And how I got the Service managers email address

>> fixed in five minutes.
>
>> Maybe this was or became a norm repair with every other
>> POT (found wired wrong from beginning Telecom)
>
>You don't get stubs by being wired wrong from the start.
>
>They happen when someone needs another line and
>they have to use a pair that had previously been used
>by someone else who had stopped paying for that line.

I understand what you are saying, but the fact that 100's of locals
were all having unfixable landlines seems to indicate to me all had
been wired wrong at the POT.

5 minutes to repair indicates it was a continually repeated problem.

One technician dropped off service manager and another who tested
line. The other went to the POT, was back in less than 10 minutes,
with a nod saying POT was wired wrong.

Service Manager appeared to know this before hand what was wrong, so
it seemed to me it was a repeated "fault" and was done around 40 years
ago.

Telecom "linesmen" at time were arseholes to start with waited months
for phone to be put on. while weather was fine they would park outside
a pub.

When weather was miserable they would turn up with message to wet to
dig, simply not keen to work.

Wouldn't surprise me the one wiring up connections to pot was a
trainee wiring them all wrong?

Rod Speed

Dec 9, 2019, 7:06:58 PM12/9/19

"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Bullshit. Plenty had a good landline.

> And how I got the Service managers email address

Separate matter entirely.

>>> fixed in five minutes.
>>
>>> Maybe this was or became a norm repair with every other
>>> POT (found wired wrong from beginning Telecom)
>>
>>You don't get stubs by being wired wrong from the start.
>>
>>They happen when someone needs another line and
>>they have to use a pair that had previously been used
>>by someone else who had stopped paying for that line.
>
> I understand what you are saying, but the fact that
> 100's of locals were all having unfixable landlines

Out of tens of thousands whose landlines were fine.

> seems to indicate to me all had
> been wired wrong at the POT.

Nope. What actually happened with the bad ones
was bad joints that water gets into when it rains.

> 5 minutes to repair indicates it was a continually repeated problem.

Nope, that you had a stub.

> One technician dropped off service manager and another
> who tested line. The other went to the POT, was back in less
> than 10 minutes, with a nod saying POT was wired wrong.

He meant that there was a stub but knew that wouldn't
mean anything to you.

> Service Manager appeared to know this before hand what was wrong,

Yep,, its only a stub that produces the symptom you had.

Lines arent just good and bad, the symptom detail tells
you what the fault is if you know what you are doing

> so it seemed to me it was a repeated "fault"

It wasn't.

> and was done around 40 years ago.

You have no way of knowing when it was done.

Stubs are fine for voice calls but are only a problem with adsl.

> Telecom "linesmen" at time were arseholes to start
> with waited months for phone to be put on. while
> weather was fine they would park outside a pub.

That's coz the faults show up when it rains.

> When weather was miserable they would turn up with message to wet to
> dig, simply not keen to work.

Because when the pits are full of water, you cant fix the fault.

> Wouldn't surprise me the one wiring up connections to pot was a
> trainee wiring them all wrong?

That's not how stubs get there.

Petzl

Dec 9, 2019, 8:36:22 PM12/9/19
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 10:59:27 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>That isnt true.
>>>
>> It is and was true.
>
>Bullshit. Plenty had a good landline.

Not in Glen Alpine, Rosemeadow, Ambarvale

>> And how I got the Service managers email address
>
>Separate matter entirely.

Got it from local news paper "Macarthur Advertiser"

>>>You don't get stubs by being wired wrong from the start.
>>>
>>>They happen when someone needs another line and
>>>they have to use a pair that had previously been used
>>>by someone else who had stopped paying for that line.
>>
>> I understand what you are saying, but the fact that
>> 100's of locals were all having unfixable landlines
>
>Out of tens of thousands whose landlines were fine.

Now you exaggerating Glen Alpine, Rosemeadow, Ambarvale would have
under a 1000 phone line connection which never worked properly from
day one 40 years ago

>> seems to indicate to me all had
>> been wired wrong at the POT.
>
>Nope. What actually happened with the bad ones
>was bad joints that water gets into when it rains.

When it was fine those laying the lines were at the pub.

>> 5 minutes to repair indicates it was a continually repeated problem.
>
>Nope, that you had a stub.

This was before Internet and BBC phones would drop out scratchy call
quality BRND NEW connections.

>> One technician dropped off service manager and another
>> who tested line. The other went to the POT, was back in less
>> than 10 minutes, with a nod saying POT was wired wrong.
>
>He meant that there was a stub but knew that wouldn't
>mean anything to you.

Seemed a continuing sage then for 40 years fixed in five minutes?

>> Service Manager appeared to know this before hand what was wrong,
>
>Yep,, its only a stub that produces the symptom you had.
>
>Lines arent just good and bad, the symptom detail tells
>you what the fault is if you know what you are doing

For 40 years starting before Internet, once mobile came along
landlines were being dropped faster and faster.

>> so it seemed to me it was a repeated "fault"
>
>It wasn't.

Well could of been everything that could of been wrong was?

>> and was done around 40 years ago.
>
>You have no way of knowing when it was done.
>
>Stubs are fine for voice calls but are only a problem with adsl.

New suburbs Glen Alpine, Rosemeadow, Ambarvale new homes telephones
never worked nor reliable

>> Telecom "linesmen" at time were arseholes to start
>> with waited months for phone to be put on. while
>> weather was fine they would park outside a pub.
>
>That's coz the faults show up when it rains.

They did get even worse when it rained, brand new phone lines.

>> When weather was miserable they would turn up with message to wet to
>> dig, simply not keen to work.
>
>Because when the pits are full of water, you cant fix the fault.

Well I looked at the pits between my property and POT they were dry.

>> Wouldn't surprise me the one wiring up connections to pot was a
>> trainee wiring them all wrong?
>
>That's not how stubs get there.

Was a universal problem when phones were first installed?

Rod Speed

Dec 10, 2019, 12:33:49 AM12/10/19
Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> It is and was true.

>> Bullshit. Plenty had a good landline.

> Not in Glen Alpine, Rosemeadow, Ambarvale

***BULLSHIT***

>>> And how I got the Service managers email address

>> Separate matter entirely.

> Got it from local news paper "Macarthur Advertiser"

Separate matter entirely to how many had a bad landline.

>>> I understand what you are saying, but the fact that
>>> 100's of locals were all having unfixable landlines

>> Out of tens of thousands whose landlines were fine.

> Now you exaggerating Glen Alpine, Rosemeadow, Ambarvale
> would have under a 1000 phone line connection

Bullshit.

> which never worked properly from day one 40 years ago

More bullshit. They worked fine for voice calls.

>>> seems to indicate to me all had
>>> been wired wrong at the POT.

>> Nope. What actually happened with the bad ones
>> was bad joints that water gets into when it rains.

> When it was fine those laying the lines were at the pub.

They werent laying lines, they were fixing them.

>>> 5 minutes to repair indicates it was a continually repeated problem.

>> Nope, that you had a stub.

> This was before Internet and BBC phones would drop
> out scratchy call quality BRND NEW connections.

Don't believe that they were all like that.

Yes there was certainly a problem with the things used
to do joints going bad over time, particularly with water
getting in with flooded pits, but that didn't happen right
from the start and isnt a wiring error done by a new kid.

Wiring errors don't produce scratchy voice calls and
disconnections, bad joints and water in the pits do.

>>> One technician dropped off service manager and another
>>> who tested line. The other went to the POT, was back in less
>>> than 10 minutes, with a nod saying POT was wired wrong.

>> He meant that there was a stub but knew that wouldn't
>> mean anything to you.

> Seemed a continuing sage then for 40 years fixed in five minutes?

The ongoing problem with bad joints and water in the
pits is and entirely separate matter to the stub you had
that was the reason for your lousy adsl result. Which
was trivial to fix by removing the stub.

>>> Service Manager appeared to know this before hand what was wrong,

>> Yep,, its only a stub that produces the symptom you had.

>> Lines arent just good and bad, the symptom detail tells
>> you what the fault is if you know what you are doing

> For 40 years starting before Internet, once mobile came
> along landlines were being dropped faster and faster.

Irrelevant to what the faults were due to.

>>> so it seemed to me it was a repeated "fault"

>> It wasn't.

> Well could of been everything that could of been wrong was?

Nope, just bad cable joints,

>>> and was done around 40 years ago.

>> You have no way of knowing when it was done.

>> Stubs are fine for voice calls but are only a problem with adsl.

> New suburbs Glen Alpine, Rosemeadow, Ambarvale
> new homes telephones never worked nor reliable

That is complete and utter drivel and has nothing
to do with YOUR fault that was just a stub.

>>> Telecom "linesmen" at time were arseholes to start
>>> with waited months for phone to be put on. while
>>> weather was fine they would park outside a pub.

>> That's coz the faults show up when it rains.

> They did get even worse when it rained, brand new phone lines.

Its bullshit that all new lines were hopeless and got worse when it rained.

The fact that it got worse when it rained proves it was
bad joints and pits full of water, not any wiring error.

>>> When weather was miserable they would turn up with
>>> message to wet to dig, simply not keen to work.

>> Because when the pits are full of water, you cant fix the fault.

> Well I looked at the pits between my property and POT they were dry.

You had a stub.

>>> Wouldn't surprise me the one wiring up connections
\>>> to pot was a trainee wiring them all wrong?

>>That's not how stubs get there.

> Was a universal problem when phones were first installed?

***BULLSHIT***

Petzl

Dec 10, 2019, 3:04:56 AM12/10/19
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:33:37 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Was a universal problem when phones were first installed?
>
>***BULLSHIT***

Not in this case
Always 4o years ago people were writing again and again to local paper
about very poor quality landline connections. In some cases people got
satellite connections.

Only after the government NBN bought the landlines from Telstra did
the story hit the paper.
After the 5 minute fix (6 years ago?) was the very first time did my
line come right and been that way ever since.

Rod Speed

Dec 10, 2019, 3:55:03 AM12/10/19
Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Was a universal problem when phones were first installed?

>> ***BULLSHIT***

> Not in this case

Corse it is. There was never anywhere where
all new phone lines always had that problem.

> Always 4o years ago people were writing again and again
> to local paper about very poor quality landline connections.

ONLY the ones that had a problem wrote to the paper, stupid.

> In some cases people got satellite connections.

Bullshit they did 40 years ago.

> Only after the government NBN bought the landlines
> from Telstra did the story hit the paper.

Nothing like your stupid claim that all the lines were bad when new.

> After the 5 minute fix (6 years ago?) was the very first time
> did my line come right and been that way ever since.

Because you had a stub. Those that had crackly
lines which got worse when it rained didn't.

Petzl

Dec 10, 2019, 3:53:31 PM12/10/19
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 19:54:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> ***BULLSHIT***
>
>> Not in this case
>
>Corse it is. There was never anywhere where
>all new phone lines always had that problem.
>
>> Always 4o years ago people were writing again and again
>> to local paper about very poor quality landline connections.
>
>ONLY the ones that had a problem wrote to the paper, stupid.
>
>> In some cases people got satellite connections.
>
>Bullshit they did 40 years ago.

Can't remember when I read this but it was a while ago
but not 40 years ago

>> Only after the government NBN bought the landlines
>> from Telstra did the story hit the paper.
>
>Nothing like your stupid claim that all the lines were bad when new.

They were the underground lines were put in badly by unemployable
louts.

>> After the 5 minute fix (6 years ago?) was the very first time
>> did my line come right and been that way ever since.
>
>Because you had a stub. Those that had crackly
>lines which got worse when it rained didn't.

Aside from your "stub" fix there must of been a lot of other fixes
also.

Had plenty of rain and phone has never misbehaved, then some years
later we got FTTN. Knock wood no troubles yet.

Rod Speed

Dec 10, 2019, 4:12:39 PM12/10/19

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 19:54:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Not in this case
>>
>>Corse it is. There was never anywhere where
>>all new phone lines always had that problem.
>>
>>> Always 4o years ago people were writing again and again
>>> to local paper about very poor quality landline connections.
>>
>>ONLY the ones that had a problem wrote to the paper, stupid.
>>
>>> In some cases people got satellite connections.
>>
>>Bullshit they did 40 years ago.

> Can't remember when I read this but it was a while ago

Its only happened in the last decade and only
when a mobile service isnt viable there.

> but not 40 years ago
>
>>> Only after the government NBN bought the landlines
>>> from Telstra did the story hit the paper.
>>
>>Nothing like your stupid claim that all the lines were bad when new.
>>
> They were the underground lines were put in badly by unemployable
> louts.

Nothing even remotely like all or even most of them were
bad when new. It isnt even possible to do it like that.

Its just a pair of wires back to the exchange or RIM or CMUX.

>>> After the 5 minute fix (6 years ago?) was the very first time
>>> did my line come right and been that way ever since.
>>
>>Because you had a stub. Those that had crackly
>>lines which got worse when it rained didn't.
>
> Aside from your "stub" fix there must of been a lot of other fixes
> also.

Yep, bad joints and water in pits.

> Had plenty of rain and phone has never misbehaved,

Because your pit was dry.

> then some years later we got FTTN.
> Knock wood no troubles yet.

Because the stub is long gone.

FTTN has a much shorter run of copper to the
node so a lot fewer joints,

Petzl

Dec 10, 2019, 5:48:12 PM12/10/19
When the fix was done never had NBN but there were stories that the
NBN was paying for Telstras copper.
The main under ground cable was about a kilometer to postoffice, that
was damaged while being put in.
I suspect that the NBN was not interested in payng for copper wires
that disn't work?

Rod Speed

Dec 10, 2019, 7:48:26 PM12/10/19
Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> Because the stub is long gone.

>> FTTN has a much shorter run of copper
>> to the node so a lot fewer joints,

> When the fix was done never had NBN but there were
> stories that the NBN was paying for Telstras copper.

Only where the change to the fttn had actually happened.

> The main under ground cable was about a kilometer
> to postoffice, that was damaged while being put in.

Bullshit.

> I suspect that the NBN was not interested
> in payng for copper wires that disn't work?

You suspect wrong and the big multicore cable
back to the post office where the exchange is
is not used at all with fttn. The copper from your
house stops at the node. In theory they will rip
out the multicore cable back to the exchange
for its copper, but it remains to be seen if they
will bother to do that and its owned by Telstra,
not the NBN. The NBN does now own the copper
between your house and the node and gets to fix
it if it goes bad in the future.

Petzl

Dec 10, 2019, 8:18:47 PM12/10/19
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 11:48:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The main under ground cable was about a kilometer
>> to postoffice, that was damaged while being put in.
>
>Bullshit.

Were told that by a Tech from Woolongong who plugged in some sort of
device at my place for a week?

Rod Speed

Dec 10, 2019, 10:30:36 PM12/10/19
Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The main under ground cable was about a kilometer
>>> to postoffice, that was damaged while being put in.

>> Bullshit.

> Were told that by a Tech from Woolongong who plugged
> in some sort of device at my place for a week?

He never ever said that all the new lines were always bad due to that.

Petzl

Dec 10, 2019, 10:48:09 PM12/10/19
Not exacally he said repairs would be expensive

Rod Speed

Dec 11, 2019, 1:14:23 AM12/11/19

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:30:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Were told that by a Tech from Woolongong who plugged
>>> in some sort of device at my place for a week?
>>
>>He never ever said that all the new lines were always bad due to that.
>
> Not exacally he said repairs would be expensive

You don't get all lines bad from new with a new cable. And there isnt just
the one cable with all those lines either.

Petzl

Dec 11, 2019, 3:22:54 AM12/11/19
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:14:12 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:30:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Petzl <pet...@gmail.com> wrote

>>>He never ever said that all the new lines were always bad due to that.
>>
>> Not exacally he said repairs would be expensive
>
>You don't get all lines bad from new with a new cable. And there isnt just
>the one cable with all those lines either.

Seems we were diverted to another bad cable instead of
fixing/replacing the one that was busted on installation
That one run along Appin road always slightest rain voice was near
impossible.
Also for years Glen Alpine was outside the "99.9%" Telstra mobile
coverage.

Rod Speed

Dec 11, 2019, 10:50:01 AM12/11/19

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:14:12 +1100, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Petzl" <pet...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Not exacally he said repairs would be expensive
>>
>>You don't get all lines bad from new with a new cable. And there isnt just
>>the one cable with all those lines either.
>
> Seems we were diverted to another bad cable

Bullshit you were. That isnt even possible with all those new services,

> instead of fixing/replacing the one that was busted on installation

No cable is busted on installation.

> That one run along Appin road always
> slightest rain voice was near impossible.

BULLSHIT.

> Also for years Glen Alpine was outside the "99.9%" Telstra mobile
> coverage.

Irrelevant.