Re: [OT] Using free mobile data

1 view

troppo

Apr 1, 2016, 5:33:31 AM4/1/16
Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Gordon Levi <gor...@address.invalid> wrote:
>> By way of compensation I will get 24 hours of free mobile data
>> <http://tinyurl.com/zxxebzw>. I already have far more fixed line data
>> than I use so, for me, actually taking advantage of the offer would be
>> inconvenient. Can anyone think of a way to use the offer that is
>> better than using my fixed line data at the same price? Is there a way
>> to "donate" the data to someone who can use it without spending the
>> transfer time at their place?
>
> The offer is tied to any Telstra (and some others) mobile account. So
> in order to use it, the user must have a Telstra mobile account, which
> means that (s)he already got the free data, so there's no point trying
> to give it to hir. I.e. Catch-22.
>
> The only way I see, to give the data to a non-Telstra customer, is by
> giving hir access to *your* free data by setting up a Wi-Fi Access
> Point on your mobile device.
>
> FWIW, it's a tad hard to use or give away *my* free data, as I'm now
> back in The Netherlands, not in Oz. That's two perfectly good days of
> free data totally wasted. What a shame! :-)
>
> BTW, wasn't it 'better' to post this in some aus.* group, as this has
> nothing to do with Android and everything with Oz?

Such as
aus.comms.mobile
Where there is a similar thread.

Offering free downloads for massive failure of service is the sort of
stupid idea that PR advisors dream up. Worth nothing to most people,
just a sop. (People with no people skills get jobs in PR.) They need to
wake up to some basic common law principles, eg if you don't provide the
service then you are not entitled to payment for it.

I lost two weeks of ADSL and land line due to technical incompetence.
For some reason they didn't manage to break the mobile service, but I
had to over-use the data entitlement trying to meet business commitments
using the phone as a wifi hotspot. I have offered to pay no more
than a third of my usual monthly bill next month. If they don't like
that I will refer the matter to the Communications Ombudsman. Might not
get anywhere, but if enough people do the same, it might give them a
wake up call, or at least pi$$ them off.

Gordon Levi

Apr 1, 2016, 8:33:17 AM4/1/16
I had a Telstra cable line fault and the technician who fixed it said
that I could have had free Telstra mobile data access while I waited
for them to fix it. Since they fixed it within 12 hours of my
reporting it I haven't checked his claim.

Rod Speed

May 3, 2016, 3:29:12 PM5/3/16

"Gordon Levi" <gor...@address.invalid> wrote in message
Wouldn't be worth it in my case. I can get the fallback for just $10
literally and I save a lot more than that every month by not using Telstra.