Interchangeability of phone and data credits?

rlp...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2014, 8:27:36 PM3/24/14
Is it possible to have a pre-paid smartphone format where there is an interchangeability of phone and data credits in the sense that, if, say, you don't make many phone calls, then, rather than these phone credits expiring and being wasted, they could be used for data downloads, for which there is always a need? I would imagine such a scheme would not help the profit margins of service providers, and so would be unlikely. Would I be wrong about that?

John Henderson

Mar 25, 2014, 4:32:31 PM3/25/14
rlp...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is it possible to have a pre-paid smartphone format where there is an interchangeability of phone and data credits in the sense that, if, say, you don't make many phone calls, then, rather than these phone credits expiring and being wasted, they could be used for data downloads, for which there is always a need? I would imagine such a scheme would not help the profit margins of service providers, and so would be unlikely. Would I be wrong about that?

Telstra's prepaid mobile broadband credit can be used for any
combination of voice, SMS and data. I've used it in that way for many
years.

Top up before the credit expiry date and any unused credit rolls over
(to a maximum of several thousands of dollars - I don't recall the exact
figure).

http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/prepaid/?red=/internet/mobile-broadband-prepaid/

John

rlp...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2014, 2:33:13 AM3/26/14

Rod Speed

Mar 26, 2014, 6:11:39 PM3/26/14
<rlp...@gmail.com> wrote

> Is it possible to have a pre-paid smartphone format
> where there is an interchangeability of phone and
> data credits in the sense that, if, say, you don't make
> many phone calls, then, rather than these phone
> credits expiring and being wasted, they could be used
> for data downloads, for which there is always a need?

Yes, some like Telstra do operate like that. Lousy value otherwise tho.

There are also some others like amaysim that have a pay
as you go service with no fixed monthly charge where you
just pay for the calls and data and texts as you do them
and which also has $10/1G data packs that give you
cheaper data than the pay as you go rate, but which
only lasts for a month. Not great value for the longer
calls tho, their $40/month plan is better value there,
unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles.

> I would imagine such a scheme would not help the profit
> margins of service providers, and so would be unlikely.
> Would I be wrong about that?

Well, that sort of thing isnt all that common, but some
like Telstra do offer it, with higher prices for their calls
and data.

rlp...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2014, 2:28:08 AM3/28/14
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:11:39 AM UTC+10, Rod Speed wrote:
> <rlp...@gmail.com> wrote > Is it possible to have a pre-paid smartphone format > where there is an interchangeability of phone and > data credits in the sense that, if, say, you don't make > many phone calls, then, rather than these phone > credits expiring and being wasted, they could be used > for data downloads, for which there is always a need? Yes, some like Telstra do operate like that. Lousy value otherwise tho. There are also some others like amaysim that have a pay as you go service with no fixed monthly charge where you just pay for the calls and data and texts as you do them and which also has $10/1G data packs that give you cheaper data than the pay as you go rate, but which only lasts for a month. Not great value for the longer calls tho, their $40/month plan is better value there, unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles. > I would imagine such a scheme would not help the profit > margins of service providers, and so would be unlikely. > Would I be wrong about that? Well, that sort of thing isnt all that common, but some like Telstra do offer it, with higher prices for their calls and data.

Thanks very much for your help, and also thanks to John Henderson above. I haven't used this group before and it wasn't clear to me how to reply until now.

John Henderson

Mar 28, 2014, 5:21:47 PM3/28/14
You might want to look at the offerings from Aldi as well:
https://www.aldimobile.com.au/