Replacement Telstra SIM card

Charlie Wong

Dec 3, 2003, 9:40:00 AM12/3/03
My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM
without paying Telstra $33? Is the charge made at the time of pick up
in-store or does customer service bill the account at the time of the
swap? Any ideas? Thanks.

thegoons

Dec 3, 2003, 11:17:49 AM12/3/03
if you are not in-contract (and don;t mind the prepaid or postypaid offers
currently available on Telstra), port away from Telstra to say Virgin, then
port back to Telstra

"Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message

will kemp

Dec 3, 2003, 3:57:27 PM12/3/03
Charlie Wong <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote:

last time i did that, as far as i remember, on contract, i had to pay for
the sim at the time i picked it up from the telstra shop. this was 3 years
ago and in darwin.

it's pathetic, really, charging $33 for a replacement sim. as i said to
the guy in the lismore shop the other week, why would anyone (who didn't
have to) pay $33 for a sim with no credit, when you can port to aapt and
get the sim and $25 credit for $20??? which is what i'll do with the
telstra prepaid account i've got that hasn't got a sim any more.

telstra are a useless bunch of bastards!!!

will

Stephen Hardy

Dec 3, 2003, 5:08:05 PM12/3/03
1. buy the AAPT from dick smith and get 20 credit and the pack cost 20, port
and you get another 5 credit!
2. if the SIM is faulty you should get a free replacment, only if you have
lost it or broken it yourself should it cost you the sim replacment fee.
SIMS break and ware out, not your fault, DONT pay a cent for a replacment
from telstra they can give it to you for free, just have to ask/squeeze it
out of them

--

Stephen Hardy ICQ/Email
srh...@myrealbox.com
"will kemp" <wi...@xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote in message

---

Mike

Dec 3, 2003, 7:06:15 PM12/3/03
Charlie Wong wrote:
> My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
> etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM
> without paying Telstra $33?

They shouldnt charge if the old one is faulty.
Telstra told me to go to the local retailer, but they said they do
not replace SIMs, as its lots of work, and Telstra don't pay them.

I went to a Telstra shop (not reseller) and asked for a replacement.
I wasnt charged, even though I'd just lost mine. His discretion,
I guess. You could ask the shop if they will charge.

> Is the charge made at the time of pick up

No, it goes on your account.

Michael

Dec 4, 2003, 6:46:19 AM12/4/03

"Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Billed to account

Michael

Dec 4, 2003, 6:47:57 AM12/4/03

"Mike" <m...@nospam.xx> wrote in message news:3fce7b4d$1...@quokka.wn.com.au...

> Charlie Wong wrote:
> > My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
> > etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM
> > without paying Telstra $33?
>
> They shouldnt charge if the old one is faulty.

Normal wear and tear, $33 charge

> Telstra told me to go to the local retailer, but they said they do
> not replace SIMs, as its lots of work, and Telstra don't pay them.

Huh? They dont PAY for the SIMs themselves, and it takes about 30 secs to
replace one

Michael

Dec 4, 2003, 6:46:55 AM12/4/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> if you are not in-contract (and don;t mind the prepaid or postypaid offers
> currently available on Telstra), port away from Telstra to say Virgin,
then
> port back to Telstra

Waste of time, still costs you the starter kit
only unemployed would bother with this to save $4

Michael

Dec 4, 2003, 6:47:28 AM12/4/03

"Stephen Hardy" <srh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> 1. buy the AAPT from dick smith and get 20 credit and the pack cost 20,
port
> and you get another 5 credit!
> 2. if the SIM is faulty you should get a free replacment, only if you have
> lost it or broken it yourself should it cost you the sim replacment fee.
> SIMS break and ware out, not your fault, DONT pay a cent for a

Normal wear and tear, $33 charge

Michael

Dec 4, 2003, 6:48:18 AM12/4/03

"Mike" <m...@nospam.xx> wrote in message news:3fce7b4d$1...@quokka.wn.com.au...
> Charlie Wong wrote:
> > My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
> > etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM
> > without paying Telstra $33?
>
> They shouldnt charge if the old one is faulty.
> Telstra told me to go to the local retailer, but they said they do
> not replace SIMs, as its lots of work, and Telstra don't pay them.
>
> I went to a Telstra shop (not reseller) and asked for a replacement.
> I wasnt charged, even though I'd just lost mine. His discretion,
> I guess. You could ask the shop if they will charge.

The shop dont charge, telstra does. shop has no say

thegoons

Dec 4, 2003, 7:34:00 AM12/4/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sorreeeee basic consumer law, goods not fir for purpose or of merchantable
quality.

thegoons

Dec 4, 2003, 7:33:21 AM12/4/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Since when have replacement SIM's on Telstra cost $4?

thegoons

Dec 4, 2003, 7:35:17 AM12/4/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Of course they don't pay for them. But as he was trying to point out,
Telstra do not give any payment to the delaer for all the stuffing about.

Djm

Dec 4, 2003, 10:37:38 AM12/4/03
Stuffing about? It takes LESS than 30 seconds to swap a sim number. BTW
telstra does charge dealers for sims, it was probably the rep who did the
dodgey.

Porting out then porting in does work if the other service provider have a
deal (eg. port out and we'll give you a free connection) however if it's
slow it can take between 2 - 4 days to complete the process.

You're lucky it's only $33, optus charge around that to their SP's.

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

will kemp

Dec 4, 2003, 3:56:59 PM12/4/03
Djm <rep...@group.net> wrote:

> Porting out then porting in does work if the other service provider have a
> deal (eg. port out and we'll give you a free connection) however if it's
> slow it can take between 2 - 4 days to complete the process.

yeah, when the system was down one time, it took me a good 24 hours to
port into telstra. but i just ported a "lost sim" telstra number to a new
aapt account and the account was activated and the number ported in about
half an hour, which i thought was ok.

will

Rod Speed

Dec 4, 2003, 5:05:22 PM12/4/03

> Michael <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> thegoons <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote

>>> if you are not in-contract (and don;t mind the prepaid or

>>> posty paid offers currently available on Telstra), port

>>> away from Telstra to say Virgin, then port back to Telstra

>> Waste of time, still costs you the starter kit only
>> unemployed would bother with this to save $4

> Since when have replacement SIM's on Telstra cost $4?

Thats the difference in price between the sim and the starter kit, stupid.

No wonder all the carriers make an obscene gesture in your general direction.

Rod Speed

Dec 4, 2003, 5:08:35 PM12/4/03

> Michael <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Stephen Hardy <srh...@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> if the SIM is faulty you should get a free replacment, only if you have
>>> lost it or broken it yourself should it cost you the sim replacment fee.

>>> SIMS break and ware out, not your fault,

You dont know if it was his fault or not, stupid.

>> Normal wear and tear, $33 charge

> Sorreeeee basic consumer law, goods not
> fir for purpose or of merchantable quality.

Wrong. As always.

Mike

Dec 4, 2003, 6:26:17 PM12/4/03
Djm wrote:
> Stuffing about? It takes LESS than 30 seconds to swap a sim number. BTW

They said they had to phone Telstra. ("Your call is important to
us"..."For quality control..."... )

It was easier for the Telstra Shop.

Michael

Dec 5, 2003, 5:07:34 AM12/5/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Cost of Virgin starter kit = $29. port away, port back
Cost of replacement SIM = $33

$4 difference

Michael

Dec 5, 2003, 5:09:03 AM12/5/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Its part of their job as a Telstra dealer.
If they dont want to do it, they will soon not be a telstra dealer

Michael

Dec 5, 2003, 5:08:17 AM12/5/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Yawn. Two years after buying your shoes, do you take them back to the store
and say "these shoes soles have failed"?

No. its called basic wear and tear

Michael

Dec 5, 2003, 5:10:21 AM12/5/03

"Djm" <rep...@group.net> wrote in message

> Stuffing about? It takes LESS than 30 seconds to swap a sim number. BTW

Takes about 30 seconds to write down the customers mobile number, call the
NAC, update the SIM on MICA, and hang up the phone, and give the customer
the new SIM PIN

Same speed on a terminal.

> telstra does charge dealers for sims, it was probably the rep who did the
> dodgey.

Yeah I found out today they now do charge dealers a nominal fee to ensure
sims are not lost.

> You're lucky it's only $33, optus charge around that to their SP's.

Yep yep

Rod Speed

Dec 5, 2003, 3:01:44 PM12/5/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:lOYzb.40509$aT.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

I've done just that. And got a free replacement pair.

> No. its called basic wear and tear

Wrong. As always.

The astonishing Kwyjibo.

Dec 5, 2003, 7:26:30 PM12/5/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

> Yawn. Two years after buying your shoes, do you take them back to the
> store and say "these shoes soles have failed"?

No, but I don't pay a monthly service fee for my shoes either.
That would have to be the most ridiculous analogy I've seen - Even taking
your lack of intelligence into account.

> No. its called basic wear and tear

Incorrect. It forms part of the 'service' for which you are charged a
monthly fee and remains the property of Telstra.
If it breaks they should replace it.

--

Kwyj.

Rod Speed

Dec 5, 2003, 9:03:45 PM12/5/03

Kwyjibo <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote in message news:Xns9449746...@130.133.1.4...
> Michael <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> No. its called basic wear and tear

> Incorrect. It forms part of the 'service' for which you are
> charged a monthly fee and remains the property of Telstra.

> If it breaks they should replace it.

And if the customer breaks it, they should pay for the replacement.

The wondrous Kwyjibo.

Dec 5, 2003, 9:46:04 PM12/5/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and
carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats,
and "Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

Yep. Same as anything else you rent.

--

Kwyj.

Michael

Dec 6, 2003, 2:29:39 AM12/6/03

"The astonishing Kwyjibo." <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:Xns9449746...@130.133.1.4...

They why dont they, and why dont Optus, and why dont Voda, and why havent
they been done over by the ACCC

Basic wear and tear. Learn the basics of the TPA and come back and see me

> --
>
> Kwyj.

Michael

Dec 6, 2003, 2:30:33 AM12/6/03

"The wondrous Kwyjibo." <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:Xns94498C...@130.133.1.4...

Except you dont rent a SIM, it remains the property of Telstra Corp Ltd at
all times. Same as you dont own or rent your credit card

\Basic wear and tear. Basics of the TPA, come back and see me when you
understand

> --
>
> Kwyj.

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2003, 2:55:24 AM12/6/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:tAfAb.41508$aT.3...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> Basic wear and tear.

Not a fucking clue. As always.

> Basics of the TPA, come back and see me when you understand

Not a fucking clue. As always.

Charlie Wong

Dec 6, 2003, 3:54:29 AM12/6/03
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:40:00 +1100, Charlie Wong
<willwa...@gmx.net> wrote:

>My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
>etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM

>without paying Telstra $33? Is the charge made at the time of pick up
>in-store or does customer service bill the account at the time of the
>swap? Any ideas? Thanks.

Well this is what happened...

Went into the new Telstra (licenced) Shop in Broadway. The sales
person mentioned NOTHING about a fee and did the changeover on the PC
within minutes. He seemed new as he wasn't really sure what paperwork
to fill out. In the end I filled out no paperwork - just showed him
some ID.

If there is a charge on my account then customer service will be
refunding the fee. If there isn't, then cool.

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2003, 4:27:45 AM12/6/03

"Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message news:b563tvc5cmvr751l0...@4ax.com...

In your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland, bovineovsky.

Albinus

Dec 6, 2003, 6:04:48 AM12/6/03
"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

and why dont Optus

When my SIM was faulty, Optus cheerfully overnight couriered a new one free
of charge. Has ANYONE managed to get a freebie out of Telstra? (I haven't
heard of anyone, all had to pay)

Albinus.

Giles

Dec 6, 2003, 6:07:03 PM12/6/03
> > port away from Telstra to say Virgin, then port back to Telstra
>
> Waste of time, still costs you the starter kit
> only unemployed would bother with this to save $4

Stuff buying the starter kit, port to Virgin Go Zero for nothing

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2003, 6:38:17 PM12/6/03

Giles <call1251...@telstra.com> wrote in
message news:bqtngi$r9o$1...@otis.netspace.net.au...

Where does it say that on the slut site ?
https://www.virginmobile.com.au/store/1-displayphone_gozerobyo.jsp
says $29 upfront.

Giles

Dec 6, 2003, 6:48:50 PM12/6/03
> > If it breaks they should replace it.
>
> They why dont they, and why dont Optus, and why dont Voda

According to its SFOA, Telstra DOES.
"Telstra will repair faults that occur on the PMTS and restore full service
during standard business hours (8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, except public
holidays). This includes maintenance up to the PMTS air interface for
MobileNet 018 and MobileNet CDMA and up to and including the SIM card for
MobileNet Digital. (Maintenance of the SIM Card covers fair wear and tear,
but does not cover loss, theft or damage to it.)"

Optus DOES.
"The Monthly Service Charge covers maintenance of the Optus GSM Network and
the Optus Access Card, and is payable in advance. Maintenance of the Optus
Access Card will cover fair wear and tear, but will not cover loss, theft,
careless or malicious damage."

Vodafone DOES.
"For replacement of a faulty SIM Card, the charge is free. For a
replacement of a lost or stolen SIM Card, the charge is $19.95."

Mindless for a network not to provide a free replacement due to a
non-customer fault - doing themselves out of chargeable airtime.

Giles

Dec 6, 2003, 7:14:03 PM12/6/03
> > Stuff buying the starter kit, port to Virgin Go Zero for nothing
>
> Where does it say that on the slut site ?

My mistake - didn't notice that Virgin introduced a start-up charge for Go
Zero.

Point seems moot now though - Telstra's SFOA claims that it covers
maintenance of fair wear and tear to SIM cards. Also Telstra charges an $8
port-out fee on post-paid.

Michael

Dec 6, 2003, 8:09:57 PM12/6/03

"Albinus" <alb...@spam-this.com> wrote in message

I know of people who have

Michael

Dec 6, 2003, 8:09:29 PM12/6/03

"Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:40:00 +1100, Charlie Wong
> <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
> >etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM
> >without paying Telstra $33? Is the charge made at the time of pick up
> >in-store or does customer service bill the account at the time of the
> >swap? Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Well this is what happened...
>
> Went into the new Telstra (licenced) Shop in Broadway. The sales

Its new but its old. It relocated from another store.

> If there is a charge on my account then customer service will be
> refunding the fee. If there isn't, then cool.

Sorry, the fee is mentioned in the SFoA, of which you agree to all terms and
conditions contained within. Advising you of the fee is only a courtesy

Michael

Dec 6, 2003, 8:10:26 PM12/6/03

"Giles" <call1251...@telstra.com> wrote in message

They always have

Michael

Dec 6, 2003, 8:11:17 PM12/6/03
> Mindless for a network not to provide a free replacement due to a
> non-customer fault - doing themselves out of chargeable airtime.

Nope. No one disconnects over having to pay a $33 sim replacement fee,
except povos and druggies on prepaid

The enjoyable Kwyjibo.

Dec 6, 2003, 9:18:17 PM12/6/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

> "The wondrous Kwyjibo." <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au> wrote
> in message news:Xns94498C...@130.133.1.4...
>> And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and
>> sloths,
> and
>> carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit
> bats,
>> and "Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> spake, saying
>>

>> > Kwyjibo <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au>

>> > And if the customer breaks it, they should pay for the replacement.
>> >

>> Yep. Same as anything else you rent.
>
> Except you dont rent a SIM, it remains the property of Telstra Corp
> Ltd at all times.

Try to keep up fuckwit. I already said that. This means they are
resonsible for replacing it if it fucks up (as long as the user hasn't
done something stupid to break it)
The same this happens with the copper in a PSTN line. You pay a service
fee which included the use of a copper pair. The copper pair remains the
property of Telstra who is resonsible for fixing it if it fucks up.

> Same as you dont own or rent your credit card
>
> \Basic wear and tear.

Yep. Wear and tear on an item *owned* by the service provider - Therefore
it's their responsibility to fix/replace it when it shits itself.

> Basics of the TPA,

Yep. Being charged for a service which you cannot use due to a failure in
the service providers own equipment. Definite breach of the TPA.

> come back and see me when you
> understand

The only way I'd want to see you would be through the scope on an M1
sniper rifle.

--

Kwyj.

Charlie Wong

Dec 6, 2003, 10:33:56 PM12/6/03
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 01:09:29 GMT, "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sorry, the fee is mentioned in the SFoA, of which you agree to all terms and
>conditions contained within. Advising you of the fee is only a courtesy

If there is a fee it will be refunded. I am aware of what the SFoA is
and how it works.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2003, 12:31:00 AM12/7/03

Giles <call1251...@telstra.com> wrote in
message news:bqtre7$t5m$1...@otis.netspace.net.au...

>>> Stuff buying the starter kit, port to Virgin Go Zero for nothing

>> Where does it say that on the slut site ?

> My mistake - didn't notice that Virgin
> introduced a start-up charge for Go Zero.

> Point seems moot now though

Nope.

> - Telstra's SFOA claims that it covers
> maintenance of fair wear and tear to SIM cards.

Sure, but the problem is what is fair wear and tear
and what is customer stupidity thats killed the sim.

Not easy to decide how it died.

> Also Telstra charges an $8 port-out fee on post-paid.

True.

Michael

Dec 7, 2003, 1:39:51 AM12/7/03

"Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Then you clearly understand you are liable for the fee regardless of whether
it was advised to you.

As you are a rent-boy, no doubt you will get a "refund" in exchange for your
services ...

Michael

Dec 7, 2003, 1:39:09 AM12/7/03

> >> Yep. Same as anything else you rent.
> >
> > Except you dont rent a SIM, it remains the property of Telstra Corp
> > Ltd at all times.
>
> Try to keep up fuckwit. I already said that. This means they are

Try to keep up YOURSELF, fuckwit. You clearly stated "same as anything else
you rent", implying the SIM was rented.

Clearly this is incorrect, as you are not renting the SIM

> > \Basic wear and tear.
>
> Yep. Wear and tear on an item *owned* by the service provider - Therefore
> it's their responsibility to fix/replace it when it shits itself.

Sorry, SFOA states quite clearly the charge for a replacement SIM.

> > Basics of the TPA,
>
> Yep. Being charged for a service which you cannot use due to a failure in
> the service providers own equipment. Definite breach of the TPA.

Hmmm, since 1993 when Telstra GSM was started, I'm sure, that over 6 million
SIOs, they've probably done 500 000 chargeable SIM replacements. Dont see
any fuss from the ACCC about any breach of the TPA ...

> > come back and see me when you
> > understand
>
> The only way I'd want to see you would be through the scope on an M1
> sniper rifle.

But then again, youre a wanker.

Charlie Wong

Dec 7, 2003, 1:42:05 AM12/7/03
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 06:39:51 GMT, "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>As you are a rent-boy, no doubt you will get a "refund" in exchange for your
>services ...

Love you long time.

The enjoyable Kwyjibo.

Dec 7, 2003, 1:53:51 AM12/7/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

>> > Except you dont rent a SIM, it remains the property of Telstra Corp
>> > Ltd at all times.
>>
>> Try to keep up fuckwit. I already said that. This means they are
>
> Try to keep up YOURSELF, fuckwit. You clearly stated "same as anything
> else you rent", implying the SIM was rented.

As I said. Try to keep up, fuckwit.
I'll even put the bit in that you just snipped.

All clear now?

--

Kwyj.

The enjoyable Kwyjibo.

Dec 7, 2003, 2:05:51 AM12/7/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

> Sorry, SFOA states quite clearly the charge for a replacement SIM.

Wrong again stupid. Try actually reading the thing before posting such
crap. It's at http://www.telstra.com.au/sfoa/docs/pmtsb.doc and states:

"Telstra will repair faults that occur on the PMTS and restore full service
during standard business hours (8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, except public
holidays). This includes maintenance up to the PMTS air interface for

MobileNet 018 and MobileNet CDMA and *up to and including the SIM card for

MobileNet Digital. (Maintenance of the SIM Card covers fair wear and tear,

but does not cover loss, theft or damage to it.)*"

That means if the SIM dies through no fault of the customer that Telstra
are obliged to replace it at no cost.

--

Kwyj.

Mal

Dec 7, 2003, 3:06:16 AM12/7/03

I have ... a couple of times.

When I resigned up to a new contract I specifically asked for a new sim
card, and got it free. Also, DSE had a promotion tied in with Telstra a
couple of years ago where you could swap your sim to a "Pocketnews" one
for free. I didn't give a stuff about Pocketnews, but wanted the extra
capacity the card had!

Havn't tried this in the last year or so though, so things might have
tightened up with the way new sims are issued.

BTW, what is the capacity of the cards Telstra gives out at the moment?

Michael

Dec 7, 2003, 3:11:07 AM12/7/03

"Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message

I know you would

Michael

Dec 7, 2003, 3:11:43 AM12/7/03

"The enjoyable Kwyjibo." <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:Xns944AB82...@130.133.1.4...

That isnt the case in the real world. Therefore, your interpretation of the
SFOA is faulty

Michael

Dec 7, 2003, 3:13:51 AM12/7/03
> Havn't tried this in the last year or so though, so things might have
> tightened up with the way new sims are issued.
>
> BTW, what is the capacity of the cards Telstra gives out at the moment?

My latest SIM is 16k, with 150 phone book entries

Michael

Dec 7, 2003, 3:12:15 AM12/7/03
> > and why dont Optus
> >
> > When my SIM was faulty, Optus cheerfully overnight couriered a new one
free
> > of charge. Has ANYONE managed to get a freebie out of Telstra? (I
haven't
> > heard of anyone, all had to pay)
> >
> > Albinus.
>
> I have ... a couple of times.
>
> When I resigned up to a new contract I specifically asked for a new sim

SIM card replacements for upgrades are always free

The enjoyable Kwyjibo.

Dec 7, 2003, 3:21:25 AM12/7/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

>> That means if the SIM dies through no fault of the customer that
>> Telstra are obliged to replace it at no cost.
>
> That isnt the case in the real world.

Got sweet fuck-all to do with your claims about what the SFOA states
fuckwit.

> Therefore, your interpretation
> of the SFOA is faulty

Wrong again. Learn to read.

--

Kwyj.

Mike

Dec 7, 2003, 7:33:17 AM12/7/03
Albinus wrote:

> When my SIM was faulty, Optus cheerfully overnight couriered a new one free
> of charge. Has ANYONE managed to get a freebie out of Telstra? (I haven't
> heard of anyone, all had to pay)

RTF thread. I said I did.

thegoons

Dec 7, 2003, 7:56:03 AM12/7/03
But with the starter kit you get some credit; a replacement SIM not. No
wonder why you are a total drongo.

"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> thegoons <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > Michael <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote
> >> thegoons <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote

> >> Waste of time, still costs you the starter kit only
> >> unemployed would bother with this to save $4
>

> > Since when have replacement SIM's on Telstra cost $4?
>
> Thats the difference in price between the sim and the starter kit, stupid.
>
> No wonder all the carriers make an obscene gesture in your general
direction.

thegoons

Dec 7, 2003, 8:02:59 AM12/7/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You do not necessarily agree. Terms and conditions change from time to time.
You could always argue that for larger changes, they did not advertise it
well enough

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2003, 3:04:52 PM12/7/03

> But with the starter kit you get some credit; a replacement SIM not.

Completely and utterly irrelevant to whether anyone with a
clue would use that approach of porting to the slut and back
to Telstra to save the $33 for a replacement sim, fuckwit.

No wonder you're completely unemployable.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2003, 3:06:25 PM12/7/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3hBAb.42756$aT.3...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Wrong. As always.

> Therefore, your interpretation of the SFOA is faulty

Nope. Yours is. As always.

Giles

Dec 7, 2003, 7:56:28 PM12/7/03
> Nope. No one disconnects over having to pay a $33 sim replacement fee,
> except povos and druggies on prepaid

Never said they did.

I think you're missing my point - why put an OBSTACLE in the way of a
customer restoring their service and spending money?

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2003, 8:27:18 PM12/7/03

> Never said they did.

The reality is that its not a real obstacle for many.

Only for the likes of the bovine one who
gets very little for peddling his arse.

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:18:44 AM12/8/03

> thegoons <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>
> > But with the starter kit you get some credit; a replacement SIM not.
>
> Completely and utterly irrelevant to whether anyone with a
> clue would use that approach of porting to the slut and back
> to Telstra to save the $33 for a replacement sim, fuckwit.
>
> No wonder you're completely unemployable.

You only get sat mobile where you live anyway. Stop fooling us.

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:19:31 AM12/8/03
Do they charge the port-out fee on TPP/C9 prepaid services?

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:21:14 AM12/8/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "The wondrous Kwyjibo." <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
> message news:Xns94498C...@130.133.1.4...

> > And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
> and
> > carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit
> bats,
> > and "Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> spake, saying
> >

> > > Kwyjibo <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au>

> > > And if the customer breaks it, they should pay for the replacement.
> > >

> > Yep. Same as anything else you rent.
>
> Except you dont rent a SIM, it remains the property of Telstra Corp Ltd at
> all times. Same as you dont own or rent your credit card

You can rent a house, but you never own it. Poor child has a learning
impediment.

> \Basic wear and tear. Basics of the TPA, come back and see me when you
> understand
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kwyj.

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:22:53 AM12/8/03
100% correct. Pity Michael can't see the light. Oh yeah, Telstra own the SIM
but they refuse to maintain it. Good one Mikey. No wonder why Fell's shafted
Telstra time and time again with ppl like u there.

"The enjoyable Kwyjibo." <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:Xns944A876...@130.133.1.4...

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:25:01 AM12/8/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If Telstra do not follow the SFOA in the real world, then they are in breach
of the TPA, in breach of contract and consumers have a right to have the
breach remedied throught the ACCC, consumer tribunal or TIO.

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:26:24 AM12/8/03
GSM, further and further behind

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:30:01 AM12/8/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:40:00 +1100, Charlie Wong
> > <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > >My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
> > >etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM
> > >without paying Telstra $33? Is the charge made at the time of pick up
> > >in-store or does customer service bill the account at the time of the
> > >swap? Any ideas? Thanks.
> >
> > Well this is what happened...
> >
> > Went into the new Telstra (licenced) Shop in Broadway. The sales
>
> Its new but its old. It relocated from another store.

Which shop relocated? Was it "licensed" before, or directly owned by the big
"T"?

thegoons

Dec 8, 2003, 10:28:59 AM12/8/03

> "thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> > "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Mike" <m...@nospam.xx> wrote in message

> phones

> > > Normal wear and tear, $33 charge

> > > Huh? They dont PAY for the SIMs themselves, and it takes about 30 secs
> > > replace one
> >
> > Of course they don't pay for them. But as he was trying to point out,
> > Telstra do not give any payment to the delaer for all the stuffing
about.

> Its part of their job as a Telstra dealer.
> If they dont want to do it, they will soon not be a telstra dealer

Yeah right. Just like the many delaers who thumb their nose at Telstra's
begging to stock CDMA handsets.

Rod Speed

Dec 8, 2003, 2:07:15 PM12/8/03
Some pathetic gutless fuckwit that cant even manage a viable
troll, or anything else at all either, desperately cowering behind

thegoons <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
just the puerile shit any 3 year old could leave for dead.

No wonder its completely unemployable.

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:46:18 AM12/9/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> "Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > thegoons <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > But with the starter kit you get some credit; a replacement SIM not.
> >
> > Completely and utterly irrelevant to whether anyone with a
> > clue would use that approach of porting to the slut and back
> > to Telstra to save the $33 for a replacement sim, fuckwit.
> >
> > No wonder you're completely unemployable.
>
> You only get sat mobile where you live anyway. Stop fooling us.

We are all aware that Rod has ADSL.
Obviously you arent. Do try and keep up, troll

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:46:16 AM12/9/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Funny how there isnt a rush of customers doing this.
Telstra have the right to charge money for a consumable.
They can, will and do.
You get to like it or lump it

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:46:17 AM12/9/03
16k is fine for the average person

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:46:17 AM12/9/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> But with the starter kit you get some credit; a replacement SIM not. No
> wonder why you are a total drongo.

And as a disadvantage, to save $4, you have to port out of Telstra and back
in again

No one but a povvie or a druggie has this amount of time to spare. Literally
2 hours work to save $4

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:47:06 AM12/9/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

There is NO requirement to do so
And anyway, the SIM replacement fee has been $33 for years and years
(previously $45) so you could hardly argue the point that you werent
notified 4 years ago

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:47:48 AM12/9/03

"Giles" <call1251...@telstra.com> wrote in message

Your SIM is a consumable that you are responsible for.
The SIM costs Telstra money to produce/purchase, therefore the cost gets
passed onto you, if you require replacement.

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:48:09 AM12/9/03

> Do they charge the port-out fee on TPP/C9 prepaid services?

No
And not on c8 either

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:48:44 AM12/9/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Every Telstra dealer has always had the choice to decide which promotions
they sell.

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 2:49:32 AM12/9/03

> > > Well this is what happened...
> > >
> > > Went into the new Telstra (licenced) Shop in Broadway. The sales
> >
> > Its new but its old. It relocated from another store.
>
> Which shop relocated? Was it "licensed" before, or directly owned by the
big
> "T"?

I'm not too familar with Sydney, so I cant remember. If its a big deal, I
can find out.

Ahhh now I remember ... I think it was Drummoyne

The wondrous Kwyjibo.

Dec 9, 2003, 4:57:18 AM12/9/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and
carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats,
and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

> "Giles" <call1251...@telstra.com> wrote in message
>> > Nope. No one disconnects over having to pay a $33 sim replacement fee,
>> > except povos and druggies on prepaid
>>
>> Never said they did.
>>
>> I think you're missing my point - why put an OBSTACLE in the way of a
>> customer restoring their service and spending money?
>
> Your SIM is a consumable

Bullshit. If it was a 'consumable' why would Telstra explicitly state in
the SFOA that it remains the property of Telstra?

> that you are responsible for.

Only responsible to keep it safe from theft and physical damage.
If the thing dies all by itself it's Telstras responsibility to replace it
*free of charge*.

> The SIM costs Telstra money to produce/purchase,

Irrelevant.

> therefore the cost gets
> passed onto you, if you require replacement.

Only under limited circumstances. The rest of the time Telstra gets to pay.

--

Kwyj.

Michael

Dec 9, 2003, 4:52:14 PM12/9/03
> >> I think you're missing my point - why put an OBSTACLE in the way of a
> >> customer restoring their service and spending money?
> >
> > Your SIM is a consumable
>
> Bullshit. If it was a 'consumable' why would Telstra explicitly state in
> the SFOA that it remains the property of Telstra?

Why do banks insist that a credit card remains the property of a bank? No
particular reason.

It is a consumable, SIMs wear out naturally over time with wear and tear.

> > that you are responsible for.
>
> Only responsible to keep it safe from theft and physical damage.

Wrong
You are responsible for what happens to your SIM

> If the thing dies all by itself it's Telstras responsibility to replace it
> *free of charge*.

Sorry, no.

> > The SIM costs Telstra money to produce/purchase,
>
> Irrelevant.

Nope. You are irrelevant, however

> > therefore the cost gets
> > passed onto you, if you require replacement.
>
> Only under limited circumstances. The rest of the time Telstra gets to
pay.

I would suggest that approximately 19/20, or possibly more, SIM replacements
not done at time of purchase or upgrade, would be paid for by the customer

> --
>
> Kwyj.

Rod Speed

Dec 9, 2003, 7:17:34 PM12/9/03

>>> Your SIM is a consumable

Utterly mindless silly stuff.

>> Bullshit. If it was a 'consumable' why would Telstra explicitly
>> state in the SFOA that it remains the property of Telstra?

> Why do banks insist that a credit card remains the property of a bank?

Basically so they can demand it back if they
decide that you no longer qualify to have it.

> No particular reason.

Wrong. As always.

> It is a consumable,

Wrong. As always.

> SIMs wear out naturally over time with wear and tear.

Wrong. As always.

>>> that you are responsible for.

>> Only responsible to keep it safe from theft and physical damage.

> Wrong

Right.

> You are responsible for what happens to your SIM

Only to the extent he listed, dunnyboy.

>> If the thing dies all by itself it's Telstras
>> responsibility to replace it *free of charge*.

> Sorry, no.

Wrong. As always.

Even the SOFA says that, fuckwit.

>>> The SIM costs Telstra money to produce/purchase,

>> Irrelevant.

> Nope.

Yep.

> You are irrelevant, however

Wrong. As always.

>>> therefore the cost gets passed onto you, if you require replacement.

>> Only under limited circumstances. The rest of the time Telstra gets to pay.

> I would suggest that approximately 19/20, or possibly more, SIM replacements
> not done at time of purchase or upgrade, would be paid for by the customer

Completely and utterly irrelevant to the law, fuckwit dunnyboy.

will kemp

Dec 10, 2003, 3:20:13 AM12/10/03
Michael <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > If the thing dies all by itself it's Telstras responsibility to replace it
> > *free of charge*.

> Sorry, no.

sorry's not good enough! get on your knees and beg for forgiveness!

NOW!!!

The evil Kwyjibo.

Dec 10, 2003, 4:18:34 AM12/10/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

> SIMs wear out naturally over time with wear and
> tear.

http://www.telstra.com.au/sfoa/docs/pmtsb.doc

"Maintenance of the SIM Card covers fair wear and tear"

You can wipe that egg off your face anytime you like, fuckwit.

--

Kwyj.

Michael

Dec 10, 2003, 6:50:06 AM12/10/03

"The evil Kwyjibo." <removesdraw...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Plenty of cashed up customers paying the $33 replacement SIM card fee,
fuckwit.

Get into the real world and come back and see me

> --
>
> Kwyj.

thegoons

Dec 10, 2003, 7:02:20 AM12/10/03
If a consumable item is rented, then the asset owner mus replace it when
failed, ie: Telstra Corporation Limited.

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

thegoons

Dec 10, 2003, 7:05:57 AM12/10/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

so does Bourke fuckwit

thegoons

Dec 10, 2003, 7:05:09 AM12/10/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

including the choice of whether or not they will replace SIM's - some dodgy
dealers always refused such tedious requests

thegoons

Dec 10, 2003, 7:08:08 AM12/10/03

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

OK, thanks.

Michael

Dec 10, 2003, 3:35:00 PM12/10/03

"thegoons" <theg...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

That indeed, is a dodgy dealer, and they should be reported to 125111

Michael

Dec 10, 2003, 3:34:38 PM12/10/03

> If a consumable item is rented, then the asset owner mus replace it when
> failed, ie: Telstra Corporation Limited.

Sim isnt rented. Old ground previously covered.

The civil Kwyjibo.

Dec 11, 2003, 6:10:14 AM12/11/03
And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> spake, saying

>> > SIMs wear out naturally over time with wear and
>> > tear.
>> >

>> http://www.telstra.com.au/sfoa/docs/pmtsb.doc
>> "Maintenance of the SIM Card covers fair wear and tear"
>>
>> You can wipe that egg off your face anytime you like, fuckwit.
>
> Plenty of cashed up customers paying the $33 replacement SIM card fee,
> fuckwit.

That's their problem. Telstra cannot force the issue with anyone who
chooses to stand their ground.

> Get into the real world and come back and see me

Learn to read and comprehend your own SFOA then get back to me fuckwit.

--

Kwyj.

SimStore

Dec 16, 2003, 1:28:05 AM12/16/03
Chaps

SIMs do fry and stop working. It happens. Its hardware. It gets hot, it
gets scratched, it stops working.

When they do you need to get a new one. At least its better than having
to get a new phone

Nice reminder for us all to keep our data backed up though right?

--
www.simstore.com
dont cook your phone book

The astonishing Kwyjibo.

Dec 16, 2003, 5:58:16 AM12/16/03
and SimStore <sa...@simstore.nospam.com> spake, saying

> Chaps
>
> SIMs do fry and stop working.

WTF do yu think we have been talking about?

> It happens. Its hardware. It gets hot, it
> gets scratched, it stops working.

No shit......

> When they do you need to get a new one.

Agreed, and if it fucks up through no fault of the customer Telstra must
foot the cost according to their own SFOA.

--

Kwyj.

Michael

Dec 16, 2003, 6:17:30 AM12/16/03
Piss off,

"SimStore" <sa...@simstore.nospam.com> wrote in message

thomo

Dec 16, 2003, 11:51:03 AM12/16/03
Just like ARSE (Another Rod Speed Excretion).

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Dec 16, 2003, 9:05:08 PM12/16/03

SimStore <sa...@simstore.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Chaps

No chaps here, just us rather badly behaved animals

> SIMs do fry and stop working. It happens.

Hardly ever.

> Its hardware.

Must be one of those rocket scientist spammers.

> It gets hot,

Terminally stupid user error if it gets hot enough to kill it.

> it gets scratched,

More terminally stupid user error.

> it stops working.

And that terminally stupid user gets to pay for the replacement.

> When they do you need to get a new one.

And pay for that when you've been that stupid with it.

> At least its better than having to get a new phone

Dunno, at least with a new phone you get a flash now phone.

> Nice reminder for us all to keep
> our data backed up though right?

Wrong. I load the sim with the data I want
on it before leaving the house, thanks.

<spam deleted>

> dont cook your phone book

Yeah, not very tasty at all.

I'm happy to cook spammers and feed them to the dog tho.

Wilfred Kazoks

Dec 19, 2003, 4:09:46 AM12/19/03
Just go up to the counter and ask politely . "Can you test my SIM card, I
tried a couple of phones but it doesn't seem to be working?". They will
probably give you a replacement for free.

They gave me a new one for free when my phone was stolen.

Wilfred

> "Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message

> > My Telstra SIM card has stopped working. Tried it in different phones
> > etc and it still fails. Is there anyway to get a replacement SIM

> > without paying Telstra $33? Is the charge made at the time of pick up
> > in-store or does customer service bill the account at the time of the
> > swap? Any ideas? Thanks.
>

> Billed to account

Michael

Dec 19, 2003, 4:50:42 AM12/19/03

"Wilfred Kazoks" <wil...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> Just go up to the counter and ask politely . "Can you test my SIM card, I
> tried a couple of phones but it doesn't seem to be working?". They will
> probably give you a replacement for free.

Nope

> They gave me a new one for free when my phone was stolen.

Must have been your big smile

Michael W

Dec 20, 2003, 4:27:46 PM12/20/03
"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I've had 3 free replacements b4, no questions asked. Explain that one away.

It is loading more messages.